You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Electric vehicles
(01 Jan 2022, 2:14 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Electric buses would be great for the 74 as its a rural service, but I expect Arriva will get the 74  this year whenever the Hexham contracts get awarded.
Why would a rural service benefit from electric buses more than urban routes? Surely it's the other way round with high density, 'stop-start' routes benefitting much more from electric buses than an infrequent long distance route...
(01 Jan 2022, 2:39 pm)Adtrainsam wrote Why would a rural service benefit from electric buses more than urban routes? Surely it's the other way round with high density, 'stop-start' routes benefitting much more from electric buses than an infrequent long distance route...

I was thinking of it environmentally, keeping rural air fresh. Good point, I wonder if another Gateshead route will get the electric buses. 57? 58?
(01 Jan 2022, 2:50 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote I was thinking of it environmentally, keeping rural air fresh. Good point, I wonder if another Gateshead route will get the electric buses. 57? 58?

Was rumoured the 57 but the PVR dropped to 6, leaving 3 spare (4 overall + the current spare).... but I wonder if the 57 route will be changed to accomadate a higher PVR?

The 58 PVR is only 5.

---

Edit:

Not sure how they would do on the 6/12/12A - unless interworking pattens are changed so the 6 is took out of it.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Don't understand why people think that branded routes such as the 58 would get electric buses when it's not even been a year for the EGR branding. The 57 I'm confused why it would if its Newcastle getting this new euro rating where the 57 stays in Newcastle for no more than 8 minutes roughly. I'd say 33 would be a good competition and the H but could be the 57
(01 Jan 2022, 3:42 pm)Train8261 wrote Don't understand why people think that branded routes such as the 58 would get electric buses when it's not even been a year for the EGR branding. The 57 I'm confused why it would if its Newcastle getting this new euro rating where the 57 stays in Newcastle for no more than 8 minutes roughly. I'd say 33 would be a good competition and the H but could be the 57

33 and H are both contract services so it would be pointless upgrading them to euro 6 - as they may only end up on for a year or so... unless the new contracts say electric buses need to be allocated.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(01 Jan 2022, 3:03 pm)Michael wrote Was rumoured the 57 but the PVR dropped to 6, leaving 3 spare (4 overall + the current spare).... but I wonder if the 57 route will be changed to accomadate a higher PVR?

The 58 PVR is only 5.

---

Edit:

Not sure how they would do on the 6/12/12A - unless interworking pattens are changed so the 6 is took out of it.

(01 Jan 2022, 3:55 pm)Michael wrote 33 and H are both contract services so it would be pointless upgrading them to euro 6 - as they may only end up on for a year or so... unless the new contracts say electric buses need to be allocated.

Pretty sure the PVR's of the 57 and 58 are 7 and 6 respectively. The 58 already has the B9's and the 6/12/12A interworking pattern has been discussed before on here and it sounds as though that won't be changing. Realistically the 57 is the prime candidate - since the Citaro's moved elsewhere it doesn't have a brand and with a PVR of 7 that's only 2 spare (3 overall). 

Assuming only 1 spare was being used on a particular day then the 33 would likely be a prime candidate for the spare Yutong's, freeing up Streetlites so the Euro 6 Versa's (8307-9/26-28) don't have to be used as spare on the Streetlite routes. Nothing to say the 33 wouldn't be kept on commercially by GNE if they happened to lose the contract.
Has the Q3 been ruled out for definite, it seems like it's the route which would make most sense on paper. Spends most the time in Newcastle, goes through Gosforth, another high emission area, and the 53/54 now go down the Quayside and are pretty much the Q1/Q2 nowadays anyway.

Believe the PVR is 9 aswell and is the only route other than the Metrocentre shuttles to carry to Voltra swoop vs stripes like every other bus in the fleet. There's also the brand name of Quay'city' (Electri'city'). I know it was one of the routes trialed with the initial electric buses.
(01 Jan 2022, 5:43 pm)Storx wrote Has the Q3 been ruled out for definite, it seems like it's the route which would make most sense on paper. Spends most the time in Newcastle, goes through Gosforth, another high emission area, and the 53/54 now go down the Quayside and are pretty much the Q1/Q2 nowadays anyway.

Believe the PVR is 9 aswell and is the only route other than the Metrocentre shuttles to carry to Voltra swoop vs stripes like every other bus in the fleet. There's also the brand name of Quay'city' (Electri'city'). I know it was one of the routes trialed with the initial electric buses.
Tbf I think the Q3 would make more sense than the 57, the only thing a tad odd is there's only 9 new Yutong's for a PVR of 9 so only 1 spare for 17 vehicles across the 53/54 and Q3 would be against the norm. Having said that 5499/5500 could be used as spares, with the Q3 Versa's going on the 57 and H shuttle.
(01 Jan 2022, 6:50 pm)peter wrote Tbf I think the Q3 would make more sense than the 57, the only thing a tad odd is there's only 9 new Yutong's for a PVR of 9 so only 1 spare for 17 vehicles across the 53/54 and Q3 would be against the norm. Having said that 5499/5500 could be used as spares, with the Q3 Versa's going on the 57 and H shuttle.

Yeah totally agreed, I don't know what the numbers on the Eastern side are like but the fact it ends at 7pm probably suggests it isn't great. They could easily cull 2 of them at St Peters Basin and drop the PVR down to 7 and only have it every 30 minutes East of there probably more than enough, the 12 is every 10 minutes along there already and supposedly they're trying to eliminate competition against each other on corridors.
Martijn tonight, on his live update has confirmed the next 9 electric buses will start to arrive from the 1st week of July.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(25 Jan 2022, 9:09 pm)Michael wrote Unfortunately he didn't say.

No doubt they'll be in Volta livery.

57 is most likely (has no brand and needs replacement buses for the CAZ). 

Orange version of the Voltra livery I believe?

Are these electric buses the ZEBRA bid ones? Maybe the Hexham services could be yellow Voltra? 

684 is staying with Versas I guess? In a years time we might see another change in allocation for the 684.
(25 Jan 2022, 9:20 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote 57 is most likely (has no brand and needs replacement buses for the CAZ). 

Orange version of the Voltra livery I believe?

Are these electric buses the ZEBRA bid ones? Maybe the Hexham services could be yellow Voltra? 

684 is staying with Versas I guess? In a years time we might see another change in allocation for the 684.

These 9 are from the 2nd batch of 18 already paid for.

Hopefully we find out in the next couple of months about the ones bid for the ZEBRA funding
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(25 Jan 2022, 9:22 pm)Michael wrote Nope, these 9 are from the 2nd batch of 18 already paid for.

Oh yeah. Sorry, I forgot about that. I'm sure these are going in an orange variety of Voltra for the 57. 

A yellow version and maybe a blue version of Voltra would look nice.
(25 Jan 2022, 9:27 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Oh yeah. Sorry, I forgot about that. I'm sure these are going in an orange variety of Voltra for the 57. 

A yellow version and maybe a blue version of Voltra would look nice.

is the 57 a busy/profitable enough service to justify new electric buses?
it always looks empty at the eastern end.
(03 Feb 2022, 12:12 pm)ne14ne1 wrote Cardiff Bus has just taken delivery of some Yutongs. Is GNE’s next batch going to be the longer wheel-based version like Cardiff’s?
https://twitter.com/busandtrainuser/stat...51010?s=21

Also, note the upside down road-strips on the livery. #CreatingRepetition Wink
i thought they were going to be the same length as the current ones which GNE already have. As GNE rarely gets anything over 11.5m and the E12 are 12.1m.
(03 Feb 2022, 12:12 pm)ne14ne1 wrote Cardiff Bus has just taken delivery of some Yutongs. Is GNE’s next batch going to be the longer wheel-based version like Cardiff’s?
https://twitter.com/busandtrainuser/stat...51010?s=21

Also, note the upside down road-strips on the livery. #CreatingRepetition Wink

Not the same, man... they're the other way up and at a different angle! Cardiff and District Violet? Big Grin  

[Image: 51731671698_cf894f3739.jpg]
Go North East 5327 / NK58 DWE by kieron mathews, on Flickr
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Best Impressions are probably more common than Stagecoach with their identikit branding attempts.

Surely there's some creative originality out there or is it just the old boys network sharing out the work again....
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
The rise in identikit branding is probably something to do with him having to let go of his decent graphic designers, he's not capable of anything beyond basic shapes, simplistic wordmarks and naff colour schemes.

I've spoken to commercial and marketing teams from other bus companies who wouldn't go back to him.
(04 Feb 2022, 12:06 pm)Ambassador wrote Best Impressions are probably more common than Stagecoach with their identikit branding attempts.

Surely there's some creative originality out there or is it just the old boys network sharing out the work again....

It will reduce the amount of repainting that needs doing if Go Ahead and First Bus ever merge!
(03 Feb 2022, 1:32 pm)Omega54 wrote i thought they were going to be the same length as the current ones which GNE already have. As GNE rarely gets anything over 11.5m and the E12 are 12.1m.

The Streetlight doesn't come in a 12m variant, neither did the Versa before that.  Previous 'full size' single decker Citaros, Solars & Renowns all came it at 12m or therabouts, so GNE are happy with that length if available.

The previous batches 2 of new vehicles purchased for the 53/54 services were all of the shorter variants - the Versa at 11.1m at Streetlight at 10.8m.  They subsequently went on to buy longer versions for other routes, so the E12 variant might not be a bad shout.
(04 Feb 2022, 12:59 pm)DeltaMan wrote I know BI gets a good bashing on this forum, but they don't give the final yes or no
Of course not, but they are proposing the exact same design to pretty much every Customer. In most industries that would be not expected!
Wistfully stuck in the 90s