You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Saving Go North East…the ideas thread

Saving Go North East…the ideas thread

RE: Saving Go North East…the ideas thread
(08 Aug 2022, 10:16 pm)Storx wrote Personally I think the way it should be done is what Nottingham does and charge X per parking space over a certain number. Watch how interested the likes of Doxford Park, Cobalt, Amazon etc would be if they done that.

That money could be then spent on tendering bus routes to serve these places since the business parks are effectively paying for them anyway.

It would also benefit our town centre's since the out of town benefits are pretty much dead. Rent aside.
Can't see that working.

Particularly when the public transport is naff or non-existent in the first place.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(05 Aug 2022, 6:40 pm)Dan wrote Wipe out the existing exec team and replace them with new:

Ambassador for Managing Director
Andreos1 for Commercial Director
Umber43 for Operations Director
MurdnunoC for Engineering Director

No Finance Director to be appointed as Andreos1 won’t want any challenge from a fellow director on commercial risks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan, I’ve changed my mind. We’ve currently got an enthusiast as an MD and he’s probably (well more absolutely is) the single worst MD in my seemingly long lifetime. I don’t think I want an another one in charge, even if it’s me. You can have the job, you can’t be any worse than Marty!
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(08 Aug 2022, 10:49 pm)Ambassador wrote Dan, I’ve changed my mind. We’ve currently got an enthusiast as an MD and he’s probably (well more absolutely is) the single worst MD in my seemingly long lifetime. I don’t think I want an another one in charge, even if it’s me. You can have the job, you can’t be any worse than Marty!

I've had a productive day as my first day in charge of engineering at Go North East. No breakdowns to report as I asked the operations director to cancel all services today so that the buses could stay in the depot. If the buses aren't out on the road; they can't break down. Problem solved.
(08 Aug 2022, 10:54 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I've had a productive day as my first day in charge of engineering at Go North East. No breakdowns to report as I asked the operations director to cancel all services today so that the buses could stay in the depot. If the buses aren't out on the road; they can't break down. Problem solved.
Thanks to Engineering Directors request i've not had anything to do today, so I just finished watching Suits quite a good day
(08 Aug 2022, 10:37 pm)Andreos1 wrote Can't see that working.

Particularly when the public transport is naff or non-existent in the first place.

Personally I think it could it already has in Nottingham, there's some stats here - https://takeclimateaction.uk/climate-act...e-millions

It's not my normal way of doing stuff of punishing cars but I hate out of town developments, imo I think you'd see employers pushing people to actually use public transport with more schemes which in turn might make the push to make routes actually fundable. Right now some of them have a massive car park like Amazon, what incentive is there to force people to use the bus when the car park is a benefit.

£500 for each of those 1k spaces might change their mind considerably though and that £500k could be used to fund further transport upgrades.
(08 Aug 2022, 10:59 pm)Storx wrote Personally I think it could it already has in Nottingham, there's some stats here - https://takeclimateaction.uk/climate-act...e-millions

It's not my normal way of doing stuff of punishing cars but I hate out of town developments, imo I think you'd see employers pushing people to actually use public transport with more schemes which in turn might make the push to make routes actually fundable. Right now some of them have a massive car park like Amazon, what incentive is there to force people to use the bus when the car park is a benefit.

£500 for each of those 1k spaces might change their mind considerably though and that £500k could be used to fund further transport upgrades.
Amazon will find a loop hole.
(08 Aug 2022, 11:02 pm)Unber43 wrote Amazon will find a loop hole.

There's literally no loop hole. It's 11 spaces plus, anymore it's £487 a year per space. Believe that's the rules.
(08 Aug 2022, 11:03 pm)Storx wrote There's literally no loop hole. It's 11 spaces plus, anymore it's £487 a year per space. Believe that's the rules.
It works in Nottingham because Nottingham has a very strong public transport system.

Though tbh at £487 a year, most of the organisations I work with, including my own employer, wouldn’t blink at paying that premium if it meant appeasing current colleagues or prospective talent. The others would just absorb into expenses. You literally cannot afford to appease colleagues in this sector at the moment, competition is rife.
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(08 Aug 2022, 11:20 pm)Ambassador wrote It works in Nottingham because Nottingham has a very strong public transport system.

Though tbh at £487 a year, most of the organisations I work with, including my own employer, wouldn’t blink at paying that premium if it meant appeasing current colleagues or prospective talent. The others would just absorb into expenses. You literally cannot afford to appease colleagues in this sector at the moment, competition is rife.

When you think about it as being an extra £500 per employee rather than £500 a parking space, it really does make it a lot easier to justify.

Assuming a full time employee, it's only about 25p per hour for parking, that's a bargain!
(08 Aug 2022, 11:20 pm)Ambassador wrote It works in Nottingham because Nottingham has a very strong public transport system.

Could always make the argument though if that was the case then you'd get an extra couple million to fund transport improvements for doing pretty much nothing. 

Mind I'm not sure some companies would especially it was pushed as a green scheme rather than a congestion busting move. 

Agreed that Nottingham has better transport than here, mind I can't comment on what it was like when it was brought in, I know half the tram didn't exist.