You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Go North East: Minor Service Changes August 2022
(08 Aug 2022, 9:15 am)Adrian wrote We've never (from what I recall) asked people not to talk about bus incidents on here, unlike most other enthusiast groups.  

The bus/cyclist incident in Washington was a rare exception, because there was a criminal case at the time, and therefore a need to protect the site and posters from finding themselves potentially in contempt of court. We'd reluctantly do the same if a similar situation occurred in the future.

What would be their reasoning for not allowing people to talk about incidents, assuming there were no legal proceedings that could be affected?.

Would it be to protect the driver (and potentially their feelings from people saying things about them), is it pressure from the operators to not show their drivers in a bad light, or is it something else?
(08 Aug 2022, 9:19 am)idiot wrote What year was the cycle/bus collision?
January 2015. Peel Retail Park.

(08 Aug 2022, 9:15 am)Adrian wrote We've never (from what I recall) asked people not to talk about bus incidents on here, unlike most other enthusiast groups.  

The bus/cyclist incident in Washington was a rare exception, because there was a criminal case at the time, and therefore a need to protect the site and posters from finding themselves potentially in contempt of court. We'd reluctantly do the same if a similar situation occurred in the future.
I think it was eazypeazy a couple of times and I can't remember the exact reason given for the Washington incident other than some sort of connection to a family member.

Sure specific comments will be hidden away in the forum somewhere.
I'm sure someone can do some digging.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
RE: Bus incidents
(08 Aug 2022, 10:20 am)streetdeckfan wrote What would be their reasoning for not allowing people to talk about incidents, assuming there were no legal proceedings that could be affected?.

Would it be to protect the driver (and potentially their feelings from people saying things about them), is it pressure from the operators to not show their drivers in a bad light, or is it something else?

Each group will have its own reasons for it, but we've instead taken the approach that we should trust people to use their own judgement, and only stepping in where absolutely necessary.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(08 Aug 2022, 10:57 am)Andreos1 wrote January 2015. Peel Retail Park.

I think it was eazypeazy a couple of times and I can't remember the exact reason given for the Washington incident other than some sort of connection to a family member.

Sure specific comments will be hidden away in the forum somewhere.
I'm sure someone can do some digging.

From a quick search it looks like it was Dan that stopped the discussion, unless it happened multiple times, but I can't be bothered to look any further

Can I ask that we avoid further discussion of the bus/cyclist incident which happened earlier in Washington? Discussing a potentially fatal accident on the forum may upset readers.

Thanks.

https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showt...hp?tid=831&pid=80581&highlight=cyclist#pid80581
Getting back to safety systems and their effectiveness. The fire suppression systems which were fitted to the citaros on refurb - bearing in mind how many went up in flames - how effective were they! It did preserve one not long after return from refurb, but it’s obviously not helped in a lot of other cases. Bridge warning system is now linked to cctv system so if the cctv system is broken or in a reboot loop, the bridge warning system is also not working. Ironically the rollout of this system seemed to be accelerated after an incident with a Viking running NIS going up the wrong bit of the centre link.
(08 Aug 2022, 3:22 pm)xpm wrote Getting back to safety systems and their effectiveness. The fire suppression systems which were fitted to the citaros on refurb - bearing in mind how many went up in flames - how effective were they!  It did preserve one not long after return from refurb, but it’s obviously not helped in a lot of other cases.  Bridge warning system is now linked to cctv system so if the cctv system is broken or in a reboot loop, the bridge warning system is also not working.  Ironically the rollout of this system seemed to be accelerated after an incident with a Viking running NIS going up the wrong bit of the centre link.
There's a decker on the X66 now. Hopefully everything works as it should do
(08 Aug 2022, 7:52 pm)wibblejunior wrote I think the X66 usually goes via Askew Road instead of Centrelink nowadays.
It only goes via Centrelink when its a single decker.
Site Administrator
Bus incidents
(08 Aug 2022, 9:13 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I thought they couldn't use Centrelink at all because of the change in road layouts making it inacessible

The section of the Centrelink underneath the Metro bridge was closed for some time until fairly recently, preventing buses from using it.

It has now re-opened but following the changes to Askew Road, it is now quicker for the X66 to use Askew Road in both directions than it is to use the Centrelink towards Gateshead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(07 Aug 2022, 11:43 am)citaro5284 wrote It does, but what about a double decker covering for a single decker route - The Duty Sheet will not tell them that will it....

It does tell them regardless of their vehicle from what i've seen
With regards to vehicle height and low bridges (or other obstacles) at GNE the vehicle height needs to be written on the defect card by each driver. You are also required to test the low bridge detector as part of the first use check.

This wasn't something that formed part of an Arriva defect card when I was there (this may have changed and once again shows differences between various operators). Speaking of Arriva, I seem to vaguely remember an E400 being stuck under a building (shopping centre?) in Darlington.
(09 Aug 2022, 2:06 pm)morritt89 wrote With regards to vehicle height and low bridges (or other obstacles) at GNE the vehicle height needs to be written on the defect card by each driver. You are also required to test the low bridge detector as part of the first  use check.

This wasn't something that formed part of an Arriva defect card when I was there (this may have changed and once again shows differences between various operators). Speaking of Arriva, I seem to vaguely remember an E400 being stuck under a building (shopping centre?) in Darlington.

Cornmill that would be.

This isn't related per say but is there actually any low bridges, other than the above, where Arriva Decker's could get stuck? I can't think of any anywhere near any of Blyth, Ashington or Jesmond's routes and obviously Stockton and Redcar doesn't really matter as there isn't any deckers at both depots (bar the X93 Deckers).

I might be missing an obvious one though.
(09 Aug 2022, 3:18 pm)Storx wrote Cornmill that would be.

This isn't related per say but is there actually any low bridges, other than the above, where Arriva Decker's could get stuck? I can't think of any anywhere near any of Blyth, Ashington or Jesmond's routes and obviously Stockton and Redcar doesn't really matter as there isn't any deckers at both depots (bar the X93 Deckers).

I might be missing an obvious one though.

The only one I was aware of when I was at Belmont was the one on the 62 near the prison. I can't remember any other routes that deckers were banned from. 
(09 Aug 2022, 2:06 pm)morritt89 wrote With regards to vehicle height and low bridges (or other obstacles) at GNE the vehicle height needs to be written on the defect card by each driver. You are also required to test the low bridge detector as part of the first use check.

Normally it's fine to get low height deckers under there, what I believe happened here was some nugget stopped just outside the Cornmill where they weren't supposed to, so the bus had to try and get round the obstruction but in doing so the E400 got wedged under the part of the bridge that's lower height (likely achieved with a bit of kerb mounting).

Durham/Belmont have pushed it with what's possible under that bridge on their 7 workings over the years, B7TL Gemini's being right on the edge and then before that there was them East Lancs bodied Scania N113DRB deckers which looked rather tall.

The routes that can't* have deckers on at Darlington are:

3A Skerne Park - Darlington - Harrowgate Farm
12 Hurworth - Darlington - Middleton-St-George

* although there's a low bridge along the route, they can in theory be allocated for part journeys from Darlington Town Centre and back then be replaced although this tends to be avoided, 7535 once did Town - Hurworth - Town on service 12 before being swapped for a single decker to carry on towards MSG: https://flic.kr/p/MRfTh7
Posted this elsewhere but a 21 'hit the bus stop outside carters well on lownfell. From video.glass on shelter shook and glass smashed. No one injured according to video
(11 Oct 2022, 9:44 pm)Rob44 wrote Posted this elsewhere but a 21 'hit the bus stop outside carters well on lownfell. From video.glass on shelter shook and glass smashed. No one injured according to video
How on earth is that possible?
(11 Oct 2022, 10:26 pm)BusLoverMum wrote How on earth is that possible?

I've been a passenger on that section of that's been involved in bumps twice.

First one was on a VR that somehow ended up hitting the wall outside the Shell garage at Harlow Green.
Well before bus lanes were a thing and the council became that obsessed with white paint. 

The second was heading in to Newcastle on a Prestige, when a car went in to the back of us at the end of the bus lane outside Low Fell library.
(11 Oct 2022, 10:26 pm)BusLoverMum wrote How on earth is that possible?

from the cctv it seems something like a taxi or a truck was parked ahead of the bus stop/ bat so once pasted that he/she has put full left lock on to get as close to the bus stop as they can and the front end has hit the edge of the shelter.  Dont know whey they put yellow ( or red) lines on the road and signs on post when there are no people employed to enforce them ( or not enough)
(12 Oct 2022, 6:48 am)Andreos1 wrote I've been a passenger on that section of that's been involved in bumps twice.

First one was on a VR that somehow ended up hitting the wall outside the Shell garage at Harlow Green.
Well before bus lanes were a thing and the council became that obsessed with white paint. 

The second was heading in to Newcastle on a Prestige, when a car went in to the back of us at the end of the bus lane outside Low Fell library.

I've been in 3 car accidents and all of them involved someone driving into the back of us, one was at the roundabout at the Redheugh, one was in Cowgate just after they f'ed up the road layout, and the other was in the KwikFit car park when some old man just floored it reversing out of the bay and went straight into the back of us.

The only 'accident' I've been in on a bus (if we exclude a tree striking the upper window and cracking it) was funnily enough clipping a bus stop at the end of the river streets in Chopwell, I don't actually think there was much damage to the bus though, but it was like 15 years ago.