Menu

Pages (35)    129 30 3135   
col87   06 Jun 2022, 10:07 am
(06 Jun 2022, 7:48 am)Storx wrote Don't get the obsession with trying to compete with the Metro which has no traffic issues and therefore a much more reliable service and even further is much quicker aswell.

No-one bar people obsessed with buses would choose the bus.
Suppose people outside of the area might. How many people know that explore tickets and ENCT passes can be used on the metro but not that many people do know that. Ideally you need what can cover Northern rail bus services and the metro at the moment nothing like that does actually exist so the buses in the summer months could actually work.

x36

Clavering Estate
Hart Station
Hartlepool Marina
Hartlepool Centre
Greatham
Low Grange Estate
Billingham Centre
North Tees Hospital
A19
Middlesbrough

Greatham Village
Catcote Road
Brooke Estate
Town Centre
Marina
University Hospital
Throston Grange
Bishop Cuthbert
Andreos1   06 Jun 2022, 11:05 am
(06 Jun 2022, 7:48 am)Storx wrote Don't get the obsession with trying to compete with the Metro which has no traffic issues and therefore a much more reliable service and even further is much quicker aswell.

No-one bar people obsessed with buses would choose the bus.
Is it about competing with the metro or offering some sort of alternative? 
The 27 is probably the only thing that could be classed as competing with the Metro on the southern side of the metro, but for sections of the route, doesn't. Hence it's appeal in certain areas.

But at the same time, not many will do point to point journeys and not many people are living in town centres nor want to be in them either.
A 15/20 min bus ride in to Shields town centre from one of the outlying areas followed by another x number of mins on the metro could easily be counteracted by an alternative. Such as the X34.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Storx   06 Jun 2022, 11:22 am
(06 Jun 2022, 11:05 am)Andreos1 wrote Is it about competing with the metro or offering some sort of alternative? 
The 27 is probably the only thing that could be classed as competing with the Metro on the southern side of the metro, but for sections of the route, doesn't. Hence it's appeal in certain areas.

But at the same time, not many will do point to point journeys and not many people are living in town centres nor want to be in them either.
A 15/20 min bus ride in to the town centre followed by another x number of mins on the metro could easily be counteracted by an alternative. Such as the X34.

Not sure any of those routes really offer anything unique though. It just runs the Metro line avoiding anywhere of actual note. Least the 27 connects Hebburn, Jarrow, South Shields, Pelaw and the estates around them.

The X34 then serves pretty much everywhere else in between which is too far to connect to the Metro.

One of those routes just run Newcastle - Fellgate - Brockley Whins - Tyne Dock - Chichester - South Shields - Beach and the other pretty much is Newcastle - Boldon (X34) - West Boldon - East Boldon (M) - Harton (X34) - Westoe (M) - South Shields (M). Very little demand there especially when the 30 is pretty much the second route and seriously struggles.

---------

Mind that said I'd love to see some form of beach / tourist service which interworks with the Metro, Ferry and all the bus operators and have something like maybe operated by open top buses.

S1 - Seaton Delaval Hall - Seaton Sluice - Whitley Bay Lighthouse - Whitley Bay Spanish City - Whitley Bay Town Centre - Cullercoats - Tynemouth Aquarium - Tynemouth - Tynemouth Metro - North Shields Fish Quay - North Shields Ferry (Connect) - North Shields Metro
S2 - Sunderland - Roker - Seaburn - Whitburn - Souter Lighthouse - South Shields Dunes - South Shields Metro - South Shields Ferry (Connect)

Be nice to be able to get to most the noticeable tourist spots on one bus and using the ferry as a good connection over the water which would be popular with the kids. Then maybe there might be a case to start them both direct in Newcastle with one early board and one late board running direct similar to the X11 so it's like a novelty day out.
ASX_Terranova   23 Jun 2023, 8:39 pm
If either GNE or SNE were to divert an existing Sunderland service to serve Pallion, Millfield and The Hospital, which would be the best candidate?

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Economic505   23 Jun 2023, 9:11 pm
(23 Jun 2023, 8:39 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote If either GNE or SNE were to divert an existing Sunderland service to serve Pallion, Millfield and The Hospital, which would be the best candidate?

Chester Rd and Hylton Rd are already well served, and so is Pallion. Seems a waste of resources.
ASX_Terranova   24 Jun 2023, 8:39 am
(23 Jun 2023, 9:11 pm)Economic505 wrote Chester Rd and Hylton Rd are already well served, and so is Pallion. Seems a waste of resources.

You currently have the 11, 99 and 935 for Pallion. None of those go into the retail park and the 11 is being changed soon. Would I be better off serving trimdon street before pallion.

cbma06   24 Jun 2023, 10:10 am
(24 Jun 2023, 8:39 am)ASX_Terranova wrote You currently have the 11, 99 and 935 for Pallion. None of those go into the retail park and the 11 is being changed soon. Would I be better off serving trimdon street before pallion.

This is what happens when bus companies are private bus companies and after dereg there can run there bus services on any route and timetables that suits them along there are registered to the traffic commissioners, it comes down to the local authorities to fund bus services which are deemed necessary, but since the budget for secured bus to the local authorities from the corrupt culprit government gets less each year and plus private bus companies are reducing there commercial services even more puts on even more strain for the local authorities to step in.

Service 11 used to go in Pallion retail park but the demand is not there no more and not viable to make profit for the big cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael   24 Jun 2023, 10:23 am
(24 Jun 2023, 10:10 am)cbma06 wrote This is what happens when bus companies are private bus companies and after dereg there can run there bus services on any route and timetables that suits them along there are registered to the traffic commissioners, it comes down to the local authorities to fund bus services which are deemed necessary, but since the budget for secured bus to the local authorities from the corrupt culprit government gets less each year and plus private bus companies are reducing there commercial services even more puts on even more strain for the local authorities to step in.

Service 11 used to go in Pallion retail park but the demand is not there no more and not viable to make profit for the big cats.

I'm sure the 594 still goes down to the retail park?, I'm 50% sure the 18/19 went down at once point too.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
stagecoachbusdepot   24 Jun 2023, 10:23 pm
(24 Jun 2023, 10:23 am)Michael wrote I'm sure the 594 still goes down to the retail park?, I'm 50% sure the 18/19 went down at once point too.

Not sure on the 18/19 off the top of my head, but the 6 certainly did back in the day so the 18 may have replaced it when that was withdrawn.

On service suggestions, seems a realy missed opportunity with the open toppers - a couple were out today, absolutely rammed (and so horrendously late running) from Sunderland to Seaburn then pretty empty.  Can't help but think running them as the old 22 even only Sunderland to Whitburn or Marsden for folk who want a trip out to the beach on an open topper might build passenger numebrs while also not having such a crippling effect on the Es through to South Shields.  Must have been a fair bit of lost mileage on those services today as there were a lot of dead runs to reposition vehicles taking place.

Something like this taking in The Glass Centre, St Peters, The Marina, then right along the seafront to Souter Lighthouse and Marsden if advertised properly could work well.  Should take about 30 mins, so allowing for delays, boarding time, layover etc on a 30 min frequency could comfortably manage with 3 of the Tridents, leaving one spare.  https://www.google.com/maps/dir/54.90751...?entry=ttu
ASX_Terranova   06 Aug 2023, 10:51 pm
Following on from my GNE express suggestions are there any routes where an express version might work where one doesn't already exist e.g. an 36X in Middlesbrough or a 40X in Newcastle

col87   08 Aug 2023, 4:52 pm
(06 Aug 2023, 10:51 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote Following on from my GNE express suggestions are there any routes where an express version might work where one doesn't already exist e.g. an 36X in Middlesbrough or a 40X in Newcastle
Probably the 36 in Middlesbrough is the only Stagecoach service that would work with an express.  Possibly since the 13 has been extended that could probably just about work as well but I don’t think any other Hartlepool or Teesside services would need an express.
deanmachine   08 Aug 2023, 6:30 pm
(08 Aug 2023, 4:52 pm)col87 wrote Probably the 36 in Middlesbrough is the only Stagecoach service that would work with an express.  Possibly since the 13 has been extended that could probably just about work as well but I don’t think any other Hartlepool or Teesside services would need an express.

Would it though? I think if I wanted to get to Stockton or 'Boro from Hartlepool I'd just jump on the train. It's probably why there isn't one in the first place.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
tyresmoke   08 Aug 2023, 8:24 pm
(08 Aug 2023, 6:30 pm)deanmachine wrote Would it though? I think if I wanted to get to Stockton or 'Boro from Hartlepool I'd just jump on the train. It's probably why there isn't one in the first place.

There used to be one but if you want a fast journey from Middlesbrough to Hartlepool you’ve got service 1 which fills that gap which I am almost certain used to be hourly at best until it got Kickstart funding to increase it to half hourly (when it extended to the Hospital).

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

col87   08 Aug 2023, 9:04 pm
(08 Aug 2023, 6:30 pm)deanmachine wrote Would it though? I think if I wanted to get to Stockton or 'Boro from Hartlepool I'd just jump on the train. It's probably why there isn't one in the first place.

Yes if you wanted to pay more and it been overcrowded with the chance of cancellations and in the case of Stockton been a good walk away from the Town Centre then it roughly makes sense.
Storx   09 Aug 2023, 8:16 pm
(08 Aug 2023, 9:04 pm)col87 wrote Yes if you wanted to pay more and it been overcrowded with the chance of cancellations and in the case of Stockton been a good walk away from the Town Centre then it roughly makes sense.

In fairness there's probably few people from Hartlepool who want to go to Stockton and few people from Stockton who want to go to Hartlepool.

An X36, would just kill the 36 imo, it's pretty express anyway really.
V514DFT   09 Aug 2023, 11:59 pm
I'd be tempted to actually make the 38A full time from Freeman Hospital continues via West Farm Avenue,Blackfriars Way, Stoneleigh Avenue, Four Lane Ends, Front Street/Whitley Road, Station Road, Briar Edge/Glebe Road (Forest Hall),Great Lime Road, interworks with the 38 at the first stop on Forest Hall Road, also the 1 reinstated back to Four Lane Ends

Kind Regards
Tez
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Lollist   10 Aug 2023, 5:55 pm
(09 Aug 2023, 8:16 pm)Storx wrote In fairness there's probably few people from Hartlepool who want to go to Stockton and few people from Stockton who want to go to Hartlepool.

It takes like an hour from boro - pools but doubt an x36 would be much quicker didnt it used to exist years ago i remember stumbling across an old timetable online last year
Storx   10 Aug 2023, 6:25 pm
(10 Aug 2023, 5:55 pm)Lollist wrote It takes like an hour from boro - pools but doubt an x36 would be much quicker didnt it used to exist years ago i remember stumbling across an old timetable online last year

Not too sure on the X36 tbf.

The 1 is only like 45 minutes though isn't it? Not too bad either really, it takes like 25 minutes to drive it and with parking etc won't be much in it.

The only area I could really think of is an express down to Coulby Newham, maybe something like running limited stop from Middlesbrough to Bluebell Corner:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ash+Gr...?entry=ttu

With the 10 terminating at The Derby (or withdrawn it's covered by Arriva anyway), 12 dropped to 3 BPH and extended to Lingfield Drive and 13 terminating at Stainton.

They probably deserve something a bit quicker.
RobinHood   10 Aug 2023, 6:37 pm
(10 Aug 2023, 6:25 pm)Storx wrote Not too sure on the X36 tbf.

The 1 is only like 45 minutes though isn't it? Not too bad either really, it takes like 25 minutes to drive it and with parking etc won't be much in it.

The only area I could really think of is an express down to Coulby Newham, maybe something like running limited stop from Middlesbrough to Bluebell Corner:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ash+Gr...?entry=ttu

With the 10 terminating at The Derby (or withdrawn it's covered by Arriva anyway), 12 dropped to 3 BPH and extended to Lingfield Drive and 13 terminating at Stainton.

They probably deserve something a bit quicker.

I think a smaller operator did try a fast Coulby Newham to Mbro service in the not so dim and distant past, but unfortunately it simply didn't work.

The end to end demand probably doesn't justify the resources needed to cater for it (at a reasonable frequency).
Storx   10 Aug 2023, 6:53 pm
(10 Aug 2023, 6:37 pm)RobinHood wrote I think a smaller operator did try a fast Coulby Newham to Mbro service in the not so dim and distant past, but unfortunately it simply didn't work.

The end to end demand probably doesn't justify the resources needed to cater for it (at a reasonable frequency).

Aye that's fair enough, just seems like an area which deserves something quicker. Believe it's 40 minutes end to end which isn't particularly quick for the distance but makes sense tbf. Obviously have the problem that doing that will kill the 10 and 12 aswell no doubt.

It's a poor area South Middlesbrough for buses though, really infrequent, lack of evening services in most areas or just nothing at all if it's Nunthorpe. Mind it has a horrid road layout aswell to be fair.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
col87   11 Aug 2023, 5:00 pm
(09 Aug 2023, 8:16 pm)Storx wrote In fairness there's probably few people from Hartlepool who want to go to Stockton and few people from Stockton who want to go to Hartlepool.

I disagree I don’t think it would and would hardly call it an express when it goes the long way out of Billingham and pretty much stops at every bus stop Billingham Town centre and Middlesbrough Bus station.  An X36 could probably run the same route from Hartlepool to Billingham Town Centre then go non stop to North Tees Hospital - Then Roseworth  then on to Teesside Park and Middlesbrough it would probably still be quicker than the 36 as well plus open up new links.
Storx   11 Aug 2023, 8:36 pm
(11 Aug 2023, 5:00 pm)col87 wrote I disagree I don’t think it would and would hardly call it an express when it goes the long way out of Billingham and pretty much stops at every bus stop Billingham Town centre and Middlesbrough Bus station.  An X36 could probably run the same route from Hartlepool to Billingham Town Centre then go non stop to North Tees Hospital - Then Roseworth  then on to Teesside Park and Middlesbrough it would probably still be quicker than the 36 as well plus open up new links.

Not sure that would be any quicker than the 1 would it for Middlesbrough at least anyway. Just not sure you could realistically make it much quicker without killing other services for the sake of 5 minutes or so, even known the hospital link would useful.
If you wanted a hospital link imo it would be better to extend the 59 through to Billingham every 30 minutes like so

Like so: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/54.60784...?entry=ttu
Lollist   11 Aug 2023, 9:18 pm
Sad that Stagecoach dont read the forums lmao
col87   13 Aug 2023, 1:31 pm
(11 Aug 2023, 8:36 pm)Storx wrote Not sure that would be any quicker than the 1 would it for Middlesbrough at least anyway. Just not sure you could realistically make it much quicker without killing other services for the sake of 5 minutes or so, even known the hospital link would useful.
If you wanted a hospital link imo it would be better to extend the 59 through to Billingham every 30 minutes like so

Like so: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/54.60784...?entry=ttu

It would give a proper service from Hartlepool to North Tees Hospital which really is needed.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Kuyoyo   14 Aug 2023, 2:22 pm
(13 Aug 2023, 1:31 pm)col87 wrote It would give a proper service from Hartlepool to North Tees Hospital which really is needed.

Where the bingo card when you need it......
How many times has this 'suggestion' been brought up? If that link was really needed, don't you think the CA would be currently tendering such a service?

In any case, your suggestion for an X36 is miles away from the old X36 - which was:
Before 20th September 2004: Hart Village and Clavering to Middlesbrough via Hart Station, Brus Arms, Hartlepool Centre, Oxford Road, Catcote Road, Rossmere Road, Greatham Sapps Corner, Billingham The Swan Hotel, A19 and X66
20th September 2004 until withdrawl:  Hart Village and Clavering to Middlesbrough via Hart Station, Brus Arms, Hartlepool Centre, Oxford Road, Catcote Road, Rossmere Road, Greatham Sapps Corner, Wolviston Village, Wolviston Court, Billingham Catholic Club A19 and X66

And even then, it was one journey a day in each direction - the morning journey left Hart Village at 0742 and arrived into Middlesbrough at 0845 (0849 from 20th September 2004) while the return journey left Middlesbrough at 1710 and reached Clavering at 1807 (no Hart Village returns on an afternoon).

Really, there's no need for any express versions of current services on Teesside - any direct Middlesbrough to Hartlepool journeys are provided by the 1.
col87   15 Aug 2023, 12:01 am
(14 Aug 2023, 2:22 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Where the bingo card when you need it......
How many times has this 'suggestion' been brought up? If that link was really needed, don't you think the CA would be currently tendering such a service?

In any case, your suggestion for an X36 is miles away from the old X36 - which was:
Before 20th September 2004: Hart Village and Clavering to Middlesbrough via Hart Station, Brus Arms, Hartlepool Centre, Oxford Road, Catcote Road, Rossmere Road, Greatham Sapps Corner, Billingham The Swan Hotel, A19 and X66
20th September 2004 until withdrawl:  Hart Village and Clavering to Middlesbrough via Hart Station, Brus Arms, Hartlepool Centre, Oxford Road, Catcote Road, Rossmere Road, Greatham Sapps Corner, Wolviston Village, Wolviston Court, Billingham Catholic Club A19 and X66

And even then, it was one journey a day in each direction - the morning journey left Hart Village at 0742 and arrived into Middlesbrough at 0845 (0849 from 20th September 2004) while the return journey left Middlesbrough at 1710 and reached Clavering at 1807 (no Hart Village returns on an afternoon).

Really, there's no need for any express versions of current services on Teesside - any direct Middlesbrough to Hartlepool journeys are provided by the 1.

You’re wrong they has been a need for a service between Hartlepool and North Tees Hospital for the last 12 years since the Council axed the H1.  Obviously you don’t live in Hartlepool so won’t know how difficult it is to get to North Tees by bus from the town. The problem is none of the bus companies or the combined authority seem interested in doing anything it also costs quite a bit in a taxi as well. 

As for the X36 I never said the route was how it was originally I was suggesting a new express route with same number.  

Yes the 1 is the quickest but even then it can take around 45minutes to get from Middlesbrough to Hartlepool Town Centre and it’s not exactly direct either considering it does all of Seaton Carew then the clearances. 

As for the combined authority they only seem to be doing what suits them and not services that are actually needed otherwise they would be some sort of service in every area.
glen   15 Aug 2023, 12:45 am
I have been watching the 500 of teesside group meeting on my table last in March when are new going see new one on my table again dose go to them are see new one on table again

All I am trying to say I love watching on my table that all.
Economic505   15 Aug 2023, 7:16 am
(15 Aug 2023, 12:01 am)col87 wrote You’re wrong they has been a need for a service between Hartlepool and North Tees Hospital for the last 12 years since the Council axed the H1.  Obviously you don’t live in Hartlepool so won’t know how difficult it is to get to North Tees by bus from the town. The problem is none of the bus companies or the combined authority seem interested in doing anything it also costs quite a bit in a taxi as well. 

As for the X36 I never said the route was how it was originally I was suggesting a new express route with same number.  

Yes the 1 is the quickest but even then it can take around 45minutes to get from Middlesbrough to Hartlepool Town Centre and it’s not exactly direct either considering it does all of Seaton Carew then the clearances. 

As for the combined authority they only seem to be doing what suits them and not services that are actually needed otherwise they would be some sort of service in every area.
I had to go to North Tees from Hartlepool last week and hadn’t realised the 36 wasn’t direct. Also, the journey time was horrendous when compared to a car (which I used in the end). Defo a need for a faster and direct link .
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Storx   15 Aug 2023, 8:34 am
imo the only potential way you might get a North Tees link to work would be to link existing services so maybe something like:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/54.58445...?entry=ttu

With the short 1's being part of it, the 35 withdrawn (it's clearly struggling anyway) and then it being bolted onto the 57, 58 or 59 at the hospital end (take your pick which). 59 is the easiest but longest.

If I'm right the PVR should be only be 1 extra bus, could make it serve Greatham aswell and pull the 36 out of there to slightly speed that up. It's absolutely ridiculous that Wynyard Business Park is unserved and would be quite popular imo, you just have to look at the 4 and extra 58's at Follingsby and there's no public transport at all to there.
col87   15 Aug 2023, 10:00 am
(15 Aug 2023, 8:34 am)Storx wrote imo the only potential way you might get a North Tees link to work would be to link existing services so maybe something like:

With the short 1's being part of it, the 35 withdrawn (it's clearly struggling anyway) and then it being bolted onto the 57, 58 or 59 at the hospital end (take your pick which). 59 is the easiest but longest.

If I'm right the PVR should be only be 1 extra bus, could make it serve Greatham aswell and pull the 36 out of there to slightly speed that up. It's absolutely ridiculous that Wynyard Business Park is unserved and would be quite popular imo, you just have to look at the 4 and extra 58's at Follingsby and there's no public transport at all to there.

Have thought putting the 36 down to half hourly and extending the 37 to Hartlepool could work with it direct from North Tees to say Wolviston if that possible to do then Joining the 36 route from Wolviston roundabout keeping the 15 minute link. Billingham still has the the 36 every minutes plus the 35 and and 52 so still has regular services to Stockton.

(15 Aug 2023, 8:34 am)Storx wrote imo the only potential way you might get a North Tees link to work would be to link existing services so maybe something like:

Have thought putting the 36 down to half hourly and extending the 37 to Hartlepool could work with it direct from North Tees to say Wolviston if that possible to do then Joining the 36 route from Wolviston roundabout keeping the 15 minute link. Billingham still has the the 36 every minutes plus the 35 and and 52 so still has regular services to Stockton.
Pages (35)    129 30 3135