Menu

Pages (2)    1 2
Unber43   27 Jun 2023, 9:23 pm
Shouldn't this be moved to GNE area. also the advertisment for it just say multiple buses an hour, but that could be every 30 mins, pretty crap considering the amount of parents and elderly going which may need the buggy bays.

Would be a nice for a proper timetable
Economic505   27 Jun 2023, 10:15 pm
(27 Jun 2023, 9:23 pm)Unber43 wrote Shouldn't this be moved to GNE area. also the advertisment for it just say multiple buses an hour, but that could be every 30 mins, pretty crap considering the amount of parents and elderly going which may need the buggy bays.

Would be a nice for a proper timetable
Hey, Just to clarify, what should be moved to a GNE area?
Unber43   28 Jun 2023, 10:15 am
(27 Jun 2023, 10:15 pm)Economic505 wrote Hey, Just to clarify, what should be moved to a GNE area?

This thread, hasn't GNE won the contract?
Adrian   28 Jun 2023, 12:19 pm
(28 Jun 2023, 10:15 am)Unber43 wrote This thread, hasn't GNE won the contract?

It looks like there's multiple operators involved in the event, so I'm going to move it to the 'Bus Events' section as a best fit.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
TEN 6083   29 Jun 2023, 8:04 pm
(28 Jun 2023, 12:19 pm)Adrian wrote It looks like there's multiple operators involved in the event, so I'm going to move it to the 'Bus Events' section as a best fit.

[Image: 6707b5506d90ef1856accdb06260acbc.jpg]

That’ll explain why it says “up to 12 double deckers will be in operation” on this post on Facebook, thought it didn’t look right as there was a lot more than that when Sunderland hosted the Tall Ships in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro using Tapatalk
nova347   29 Jun 2023, 9:10 pm
(29 Jun 2023, 8:04 pm)TEN 6083 wrote [Image: 6707b5506d90ef1856accdb06260acbc.jpg]

That’ll explain why it says “up to 12 double deckers will be in operation” on this post on Facebook, thought it didn’t look right as there was a lot more than that when Sunderland hosted the Tall Ships in 2018.

Yer the Sunderland one had 54 buses. 
https://newsroom.gonortheast.co.uk/news/...ast-315191
stagecoachbusdepot   29 Jun 2023, 9:15 pm
(29 Jun 2023, 8:04 pm)TEN 6083 wrote [Image: 6707b5506d90ef1856accdb06260acbc.jpg]

12 does seem very few but I guess it's up to the local council what level of provision they commission.  Not sure how this contract value compares to the Sunderland one for example.  Fair few disgruntled comments from Hartlepool residents that they aren't able to use the P&R if they are in walking distance of a P&R site.  Does seem beyond stupid to force those people to drive to a park & walk site instead!  Notably when people are pointing out teh "great bus services" dont serve the marina there's no response.  This owuld have been a great opportunity to show how public transport can work.  Instead... this.
TEN 6083   29 Jun 2023, 11:55 pm
Someone commented on a friends Facebook post when Arriva did the Park & Rides for the 2010 Tall Ships they had around 90 buses for the event.

If there’s only 12 buses in total there are going to be some very large queues and the buses will be rammed as that would be 3 buses each for 4 Park & Ride sites. If I go I’ll probably park in Asda or the retail park across the road from the marina.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
James101   30 Jun 2023, 7:23 am
The park and ride in 2010 was widely criticised as underused and a huge loss for the event. It seems the council have gone from feast to famine with his provision this year so hopefully it’s not equally panned as a disaster.

That said, the car parks have been brought in much closer this year, 2010 had Hart & Greatham as car parks - steelworks remains the same. Buses should be able to run to Grayfields and Coronation Drive in half as much time. Not sure where turning is possible on Coronation Drive mind and I’d worry about congestion close to the event if, as above, car drivers are attempting to head as close as ASDA/Anchor Retail park only to find their parking is full and heavily restricted for the event.
deanmachine   30 Jun 2023, 10:57 am
12 double decker buses can transport 1000 people, depending on the journey length they can move a hell of a lot of people in quite a short time if it's well organised.
Storx   30 Jun 2023, 1:52 pm
Surely the other problem is there's no-one to drive the buses. GoNorthEast, in particular, are still having cancellations almost daily. It's very different to a few runs in an evening for one day.
stagecoachbusdepot   30 Jun 2023, 3:25 pm
(30 Jun 2023, 1:52 pm)Storx wrote Surely the other problem is there's no-one to drive the buses. GoNorthEast, in particular, are still having cancellations almost daily. It's very different to a few runs in an evening for one day.

Suspect if the contract value had been high enough they'd have found a way.  Just like they did for the Metro replacements last year while still leaving mass daily cancellations on the normal network.  Suspect 12 buses is going to be a bit of a disaster, though without knowing the area well I think the Hartlepool P&R sites will be less widely spread than Sunderland's were so wouldn't need the 50 odd used then.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
beefcake   30 Jun 2023, 4:32 pm
I can't help but suspect that they're going to be relying on people using Coronation Drive and Greyfields opting to walk rather than using the buses as they've advertised it should take no longer than 30 minutes. The walk along Seaton front isn't too bad when the weather's decent but any prolonged rain and I can see issues arising.
Unber43   30 Jun 2023, 8:58 pm
whats the distance between the events and the park and rides. Also how many park and rides where there at the Sunderland one
Rapidsnap   30 Jun 2023, 9:18 pm
I be happy if it's only around 12 buses being used in service, it means I spend less time in the Hartlepool area trying to photo them.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
busmanT   01 Jul 2023, 11:07 am
(30 Jun 2023, 1:52 pm)Storx wrote Surely the other problem is there's no-one to drive the buses. GoNorthEast, in particular, are still having cancellations almost daily. It's very different to a few runs in an evening for one day.
Cancellations appear to just impact on one depot - I'm told GNE have a surplus of drivers in some areas. I assume that this will be worked from Deptford.
Drivers are often more inclined to work overtime on special events than on normal service.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
stagecoachbusdepot   06 Jul 2023, 9:55 pm
Has anyone been at this today? Thinking about making a trip down there tomorrow or Saturday and wondering if the traffic has been tolerable, and how the buses are coping (normal services not the P&R)
Pages (2)    1 2