You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion
On the subject of upgrading services, the 8 definitely needs sorting, the 21/X21 haven't been too bad in my experience, 4812/13/14 have been ok, and when they work, they skip along the A19 at a fair rate of knots. They are very comfy to drive and the heaters are like a sauna. However, I do know the reliability is an issue, Pulsars would cope no bother on there, might be worth considering when the ex NW ones are allocated. The 75/6 should DEFINITELY be Solo only, as the roads which are currently being used for the route are bloody dangerous for a Pulsar. Darlington should be a Dart free zone within weeks, old MPD's are going to scrap, newer ones are going elsewhere and I plan to set fire to the 1300's!!! (only joking!!!)
(25 Dec 2014, 9:16 pm)MrPottski wrote On the subject of upgrading services, the 8 definitely needs sorting, the 21/X21 haven't been too bad in my experience, 4812/13/14 have been ok, and when they work, they skip along the A19 at a fair rate of knots. They are very comfy to drive and the heaters are like a sauna. However, I do know the reliability is an issue, Pulsars would cope no bother on there, might be worth considering when the ex NW ones are allocated. The 75/6 should DEFINITELY be Solo only, as the roads which are currently being used for the route are bloody dangerous for a Pulsar. Darlington should be a Dart free zone within weeks, old MPD's are going to scrap, newer ones are going elsewhere and I plan to set fire to the 1300's!!! (only joking!!!)

I've noticed for a good while now that the 75/76 has had a Pulsar allocated to it everyday for months now, no idea why and it really irritates me seeing a Pulsar on the 75/76 then have a Solo turn up on the 1/5/5A.

I'd gladly look the other way if you were to set fire to them 1300 Darts.
(25 Dec 2014, 9:22 pm)Jimmi wrote I've noticed for a good while now that the 75/76 has had a Pulsar allocated to it everyday for months now, no idea why and it really irritates me seeing a Pulsar on the 75/76 then have a Solo turn up on the 1/5/5A.

Do some journeys require a full size single decker around school time? It wasn't too long ago that Olympians were allocated to 75/76 for that reason.
(25 Dec 2014, 9:48 pm)John_R wrote Do some journeys require a full size single decker around school time? It wasn't too long ago that Olympians were allocated to 75/76 for that reason.

Maybe or lots of people heading into Darlington. I don't know.

I remember when the 1300 Darts were on the 7 a Pulsar was used on the busy morning journey to Framwellgate Moor, so it could be the same here.
(25 Dec 2014, 9:22 pm)Jimmi wrote I've noticed for a good while now that the 75/76 has had a Pulsar allocated to it everyday for months now, no idea why and it really irritates me seeing a Pulsar on the 75/76 then have a Solo turn up on the 1/5/5A.

Possibly getting ready for when they go on there some time next year.
(25 Dec 2014, 3:46 pm)Dan wrote Quick note to say that I've updated our fleet lists... They were a bit behind, but I think everything should be up to date again!

Someone may want to confirm that I've got the sub-branding for the MAX Scanias at Darlington right, as I couldn't find any details for a few of them...

There's a picture on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/dearingbuspix/15874093659 of 7512 leaving Haymarket in X15 MAX livery on its way to Berwick. I would think that means it's back at Ashington, the fleet list still has it down as being at Blyth. 
Site Administrator
(26 Dec 2014, 10:22 am)passenger_10 wrote There's a picture on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/dearingbuspix/15874093659 of 7512 leaving Haymarket in X15 MAX livery on its way to Berwick. I would think that means it's back at Ashington, the fleet list still has it down as being at Blyth. 
Cheers. I don't think Arriva's official fleet allocation document listed the return of it to Ashington which is why I've never changed it - but this often misses things out!

Will sort it out when I get home. Wink
(25 Dec 2014, 9:48 pm)John_R wrote Do some journeys require a full size single decker around school time? It wasn't too long ago that Olympians were allocated to 75/76 for that reason.
No journey on there requires more than a Solo at any time. They can cope with the loadings, the timings and the route quite easily. Pulsars are unnecessary on there and it annoys me when they are allocated there.
(26 Dec 2014, 1:53 pm)MrPottski wrote No journey on there requires more than a Solo at any time. They can cope with the loadings, the timings and the route quite easily. Pulsars are unnecessary on there and it annoys me when they are allocated there.

Try being a passenger riding the 1/5/5A on a Solo, especially on the 5/5A between Darlington Town Centre and Harrowgate Hill, sometimes you have standing and then you have to move every 5 seconds for people to get off, this ends up taking longer than usual and results in the service falling behind time (although the 5/5A is often running a few minutes late).

At worst allocating Solos to the 75/76 you may get a few journeys with standees but that's probably the worst it would get, also I imagine it would be easier to get Solos around some of the roads on these routes.
ANE could easily operate profitably on boxing day like this with reference to them losing out on GNE's latest post:

- X21 with a PVR of 2 every hour between Ashington and Newcastle but operating via the Hartlands and Golf Course rather than Nedderton.
- 308 with a PVR of 6 operating every 20 minutes between Blyth and Newcastle.
- Boxing day special services 10 / 11 operating every 60 minutes (30 combined) with a PVR of 5 serving their retrospective express routes between Blyth and Cramlington then the same route as the 43 between Cramlington and Newcastle.
- Service 54 operating every 60 minutes with a PVR of 2 between Newcastle and Whitley Bay but operating via Cobalt Business Park.
- Service 55 operating every 60 minutes with a PVR of 2 serving normal route.
- Service 53 operating every 60 minutes with a PVR of 2 serving normal route.
- Services 44 / 45 operating every 60 minutes (30 combined) with a PVR of 2 serving their normal routes.
- Boxing day special service 35 with a PVR of 2 operating the same route as the regular 35 between Ashington and Morpeth then the same route as the X14/X15/X18 between Morpeth and Newcastle.
(25 Dec 2014, 4:03 pm)Jimmi wrote Dan, I believe these are the brandings based on my sightings on the first day in service (I'm not sure about 4644 and 4645 but I think they both have branding for both the X26/X27 and X66).

4643 - MAX branding for both the X26/X27 and X66
4644 - unsure (I think it has branding for both the X26/X27 and X66)
4645 - unsure (I think it has branding for both the X26/X27 and X66)
4647 - MAX X26/X27
4648 - MAX X26/X27
4649 - MAX X66
4651 - MAX X66
4654 - unsure
4655 - MAX X66
4656 - MAX X66
4657 - MAX X66

I think 4646 is at Darlington but have no idea whether it has combined branding or X26/X27 branding - fleet list says it is still at Belmont in original livery.

4654 is a Stockton bus it's not in max livery either
What's the life of a Solo? 2503/04/05 are all 15 years old now and perhaps becoming a bit long in the tooth for front line service. Certainly one of their immediate sisters (Y293PDN) has long since retired to Holy Island and provides the Car Park to Castle shuttle. A marked contrast in fortunes.
(27 Dec 2014, 4:11 pm)9920up wrote What's the life of a Solo? 2503/04/05 are all 15 years old now and perhaps becoming a bit long in the tooth for front line service. Certainly one of their immediate sisters (Y293PDN) has long since retired to Holy Island and provides the Car Park to Castle shuttle. A marked contrast in fortunes.

2503/2504/2505 are only 13 years old.

Not sure how long the life of a Solo is but it will be dependent on operator, how many miles it's done, is it okay mechanically and when an operator decides to get shot of them.

Scarlet Band are still running T469BCN which was new to Go North East and still seems to be on the road alot of the time.
(27 Dec 2014, 4:59 pm)Jimmi wrote Any ideas if the 5/5A will also have next stop announcements?

1, X1, 5, 5A, 21 and X21 will all have them eventually - possibly even the 8/8A to complete the North Road groups.

4811-14 have Wifi now, I believe?
(27 Dec 2014, 8:55 pm)RobinHood wrote 1, X1, 5, 5A, 21 and X21 will all have them eventually - possibly even the 8/8A to complete the North Road groups.

I hope your right about WiFi being fitted to them EcoCitys as they would help kill some time when I go to Sunderland - I will try and see soon as I may head to Sunderland next Saturday.

Wonder if 4811 will receive 21/X21 Whoosh branding to go with the WiFi.

I imagine if the 8/8A gets next stop announcements it would be after the 1300 series Darts are withdrawn, hopefully next year.
(27 Dec 2014, 8:55 pm)RobinHood wrote 1, X1, 5, 5A, 21 and X21 will all have them eventually - possibly even the 8/8A to complete the North Road groups.

Sounds good, but I'd be interesting to see how effective it is along the Durham coast. Same goes for the X12, once we have MAX between Middlesbrough and Durham. There's a massive section of route, pretty much between just before Sedgefield and Durham, where the data reception is going to be pretty rubbish.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(27 Dec 2014, 10:16 pm)aureolin wrote Sounds good, but I'd be interesting to see how effective it is along the Durham coast. Same goes for the X12, once we have MAX between Middlesbrough and Durham. There's a massive section of route, pretty much between just before Sedgefield and Durham, where the data reception is going to be pretty rubbish.

When I've been in the Sedgefield area I don't attempt to use the internet because I can't get signal.

The WiFi on Sapphire X4/4 after about Marske is just a waste of space, I rode it on the first day and I ended up sat in front of some young lads all the way from Marske to Whitby and the whole way all I heard was "the f***ing WiFi doesn't work" which was more annoying than the lacking of WiFi signal, it will probably be the same when the MAX B9TLs enter service on the X93.

Even the signal on the 7 isn't perfect, it often drops out between Cock O' the North and DurhamGate.
(27 Dec 2014, 10:55 pm)Jimmi wrote When I've been in the Sedgefield area I don't attempt to use the internet because I can't get signal.

The WiFi on Sapphire X4/4 after about Marske is just a waste of space, I rode it on the first day and I ended up sat in front of some young lads all the way from Marske to Whitby and the whole way all I heard was "the f***ing WiFi doesn't work" which was more annoying than the lacking of WiFi signal, it will probably be the same when the MAX B9TLs enter service on the X93.

Even the signal on the 7 isn't perfect, it often drops out between Cock O' the North and DurhamGate.

The Coxhoe to Durham stretch is no better. I'm through giffgaff (O2) for my personal phone, and EE through work, and I may as well not bother with either.
(26 Dec 2014, 3:12 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote ANE could easily operate profitably on boxing day like this with reference to them losing out on GNE's latest post:

- X21 with a PVR of 2 every hour between Ashington and Newcastle but operating via the Hartlands and Golf Course rather than Nedderton.
- 308 with a PVR of 6 operating every 20 minutes between Blyth and Newcastle.
- Boxing day special services 10 / 11 operating every 60 minutes (30 combined) with a PVR of 5 serving their retrospective express routes between Blyth and Cramlington then the same route as the 43 between Cramlington and Newcastle.
- Service 54 operating every 60 minutes with a PVR of 2 between Newcastle and Whitley Bay but operating via Cobalt Business Park.
- Service 55 operating every 60 minutes with a PVR of 2 serving normal route.
- Service 53 operating every 60 minutes with a PVR of 2 serving normal route.
- Services 44 / 45 operating every 60 minutes (30 combined) with a PVR of 2 serving their normal routes.
- Boxing day special service 35 with a PVR of 2 operating the same route as the regular 35 between Ashington and Morpeth then the same route as the X14/X15/X18 between Morpeth and Newcastle.
I was talking to a few of my mates while I was away, and they were all pretty annoyed that they couldn't go anywhere because Arriva weren't operating. I saw lots of people on Facebook also asking if there were any buses running on boxing day, with lots of people surprised to find out that there wasn't even a "Sunday service"... 

I can't really see how people wouldn't use the services, people without cars will want to see family and it will be easier than driving to (and parking in) Newcastle for the sales etc.
(28 Dec 2014, 10:07 am)mb134 wrote I was talking to a few of my mates while I was away, and they were all pretty annoyed that they couldn't go anywhere because Arriva weren't operating. I saw lots of people on Facebook also asking if there were any buses running on boxing day, with lots of people surprised to find out that there wasn't even a "Sunday service"... 

I can't really see how people wouldn't use the services, people without cars will want to see family and it will be easier than driving to (and parking in) Newcastle for the sales etc.

I don't know how they can say that not one of their routes is commercially viable on boxing day, when the other two operators can run the majority of their core routes to some frequency. Services like the 308, X10/X11, X21/X22, and the two X1s would surely work, even if it was a 30 min/1 hr frequency. 

I'd suggest that everyone who uses Arriva sticks a complaint in, and hopefully that'll be flagged up.
My response from Arriva on Boxing Day services:

From: Customer Services North East [mailto:csnortheast@arriva.co.uk]

Sent: xxxxxxx
To: xxxxxxx
Subject: Arriva

Good afternoon

Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to you. Your comments were sent to the commercial manager for his response.

He has now advised us that he understands your frustration because we will not be running any buses on Boxing Day, especially as Go North East and Stagecoach will operate some of their services.

However, over the last few months we have looked very closely at the potential to run Boxing Day services around the cities of Newcastle and Durham. Unfortunately, we do not think there would be enough passengers and revenue to cover our operating costs, especially as there are no major sporting events taking place in Tyne & Wear.  We have therefore, as a company taken the decision to not operated our services on this day.

I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience our upset that this will cause you.

Kind regards

xxxxxxxx
Customer Service Advisor

I know us Geordies would say Sunderland playing football isn't a major sporting event, but no need for Arriva to rub it in Tongue In all seriousness though, there's a massive fan base in East Durham that could have done with a bus service towards the match, not to mention others wanting to take advantage of the sales. Same goes for those wanting to be in and out of Durham.

I personally think it's nothing but short sighted.
(28 Dec 2014, 10:17 am)aureolin wrote My response from Arriva on Boxing Day services:

I know us Geordies would say Sunderland playing football isn't a major sporting event, but no need for Arriva to rub it in Tongue In all seriousness though, there's a massive fan base in East Durham that could have done with a bus service towards the match, not to mention others wanting to take advantage of the sales. Same goes for those wanting to be in and out of Durham.

I personally think it's nothing but short sighted.
Just sent mine off now, highlighting the fact they pretty much stranded everyone who relies on their bus services. 
I also added the bit in about the other operators operating, I think they'll soon realise they need to do something if enough complaints bring this up...
The "sporting event" excuse is pretty poor if I'm honest as well, people need buses for more than that, however if Newcastle play at home next boxing day and they don't run any buses, you may want to send them that response back Wink
Site Administrator
(28 Dec 2014, 10:30 am)mb134 wrote Just sent mine off now, highlighting the fact they pretty much stranded everyone who relies on their bus services. 
I also added the bit in about the other operators operating, I think they'll soon realise they need to do something if enough complaints bring this up...
The "sporting event" excuse is pretty poor if I'm honest as well, people need buses for more than that, however if Newcastle play at home next boxing day and they don't run any buses, you may want to send them that response back Wink
Newcastle played at home last Boxing Day, didn't they?
Where was Arriva's bus services?
They only seem to get small crowds these days, compared to the days of Ravanelli and Juninho, but Boro were also at home on Boxing Day.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(28 Dec 2014, 10:39 am)Dan wrote Newcastle played at home last Boxing Day, didn't they?
Where was Arriva's bus services?
Yep exactly, looks like they spent about 10 seconds thinking of that excuse, not bothering to check its strength...   Rolleyes
(28 Dec 2014, 10:43 am)Andreos1 wrote They only seem to get small crowds these days, compared to the days of Ravanelli and Juninho, but Boro were also at home on Boxing Day.

I hardly call a 32,277 sell-out a small crowd............

I can see Arriva's point however, there's reports from other areas that patronage on the buses this year was down as more people have found the easier way to shop in the sales - from the comfort of their own home.
Should have checked beforehand on crowds (always seems empty on telly and sure capacity is circa 35k), but that's still 32k people needing to be in the town centre, less away fans who came up on train, in coaches or in car.

Ditto those going to the Sunderland game.
Ditto those at Newcastle last year.

Triple time or not, pretty certain a profit would be made.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(28 Dec 2014, 10:43 am)Andreos1 wrote They only seem to get small crowds these days, compared to the days of Ravanelli and Juninho, but Boro were also at home on Boxing Day.

Probably say that Middlesbrough and Newcastle don't count as major sporting events either.

I am with the whole sending Arriva emails about the lacking of service on Boxing Day, I may send one saying that my friends texted me wanting to go to Newcastle and were shocked to learn to learn that Arriva left me completely cut off and was more of a surprise as all my friends had Go North East services that day.

I still think there is a market for Boxing Day even in parts of County Durham, I often see lots of people waiting at Aycliffe Town Centre for a bus which isn't even running so surely if it was running there would be even more there plus other places on the route.

It is still a joke Arriva provide nothing on Boxing Day even when all the shops are open, the Next Sale started on Boxing Day and have you ever been in Next when they have a sale on, it is a mad house and is rammed full of people looking for a bargain and a trip to Middlesbrough yesterday confirmed it was not just Next in on the sale action, I went in Debenhams yesterday who had a sale on and you could hardly move. All the pubs will have been open too so anyone who needs to get away for just a bit could get a bus to the pub instead of a taxi.

Also the lacking of a bus means the taxi companies all charge double because it is a bank holiday and round my way many of the taxi companies don't use the mitre's (even though they are supposed to) which means they can charge whatever the hell they want, if I wanted to go to Tesco Extra on Boxing Day I would probably struggle to find a taxi to get me there for less than £5 for one way travel and I don't live that far away drive from there, so if wanted to go to Tesco and back in a taxi it would cost me more than £10 which is more than a flaming North East Explorer ticket. People can not afford this as the North East can be a skint deprived area, everytime you see one of those TV documentary's about people on the dole the North East (usually Sunderland) features somewhere.

I imagine if Arriva ever do provide a Boxing Day service it will be Tyneside only leaving everyone else in the North East stranded.

Do we think Arriva will use the no major sporting events excuse again next year even if all the big North East teams are at home.