North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2013
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can I just ask, did the Washington area get a consultation before the announcement of the Connections 4 was made? I never saw anything on the GNE website and nothing on here. I feel there is a lot of unfairness when it comes to service coverage in some parts of the town. Its shocking how Teal Farm, Coach Road, parts of Donwell and Blackfell Knoulberry receive no service coverage at all from GNE. On the other end of the scale, certain parts of Fatfield have a whopping 9 to 11 buses and hour to the Galleries, which is totally unjustifiable.
(14 Oct 2013, 8:24 pm)Washingtonian wrote [ -> ]Can I just ask, did the Washington area get a consultation before the announcement of the Connections 4 was made? I never saw anything on the GNE website and nothing on here. I feel there is a lot of unfairness when it comes to service coverage in some parts of the town. Its shocking how Teal Farm, Coach Road, parts of Donwell and Blackfell Knoulberry receive no service coverage at all from GNE. On the other end of the scale, certain parts of Fatfield have a whopping 9 to 11 buses and hour to the Galleries, which is totally unjustifiable.

On Go North East's website:
"Don’t worry, the timetable and route haven’t changed, but you’ll need to look out for our lovely new dark blue buses."

As the timetable and route wasn't changed, I don't think Go North East would have felt the need to inform customers prior to the buses being ordered.
Of course if the timetable/route had changed or even if this upgrade was made to replace other services in Washington, a consultation would have been issued.
For gods sake leave the 39 as it is route I mean!! I do think 10 minute frequency is a bit much. Why on earth would us Doxford folk want to go to asda boldon. We got leechmere ryhope and pennywell we also got morrisons sainsburys and Iceland nearby. When gne axed 139/140 to 29 and 39 to go over the river it never worked. The journey is too long and never worked to timetable. LEAVE IT ALONE
(14 Oct 2013, 8:33 pm)Daniel wrote [ -> ]On Go North East's website:
"Don’t worry, the timetable and route haven’t changed, but you’ll need to look out for our lovely new dark blue buses."

As the timetable and route wasn't changed, I don't think Go North East would have felt the need to inform customers prior to the buses being ordered.
Of course if the timetable/route had changed or even if this upgrade was made to replace other services in Washington, a consultation would have been issued.

Sorry I maybe didn't word my post correctly. I meant to ask if there had been a consultation for the whole Washington area and not just the Connections 4 service. I have seen no consultations for M2/3, W5/6 and Silver Arrows etc. I personally think GNE could do more with regards to finding out passengers needs and also what would encourage more people to use the bus. Its all very well them saying would you like Option A or Option B but is that really finding out what passengers want? Take Brady Square for example. If you wanted to get to Concord from Brady Square quickly as possible, would you really want to travel around half of Washington to get there? The W5 takes nearly half an hour for a journey that can be done in the car in around 5 mins. No wonder services like this don't have great loadings.
(14 Oct 2013, 8:24 pm)Washingtonian wrote [ -> ]Can I just ask, did the Washington area get a consultation before the announcement of the Connections 4 was made? I never saw anything on the GNE website and nothing on here. I feel there is a lot of unfairness when it comes to service coverage in some parts of the town. Its shocking how Teal Farm, Coach Road, parts of Donwell and Blackfell Knoulberry receive no service coverage at all from GNE. On the other end of the scale, certain parts of Fatfield have a whopping 9 to 11 buses and hour to the Galleries, which is totally unjustifiable.

As Daniel has said - but I agree with your other points, especially the least populous part of Fatfield, being served by so many buses.

Aureolin has an interesting map showing past and present services, including the likes of Teal Farm, Knoulberry etc which have been abondoned by GNE.
On the subject of the 26, do the guaranteed connections at Boldon ASDA with the X3/X36 still exist? Since the X36 was introduced the Newcastle bound buses do seem less inclined to wait for the 26 at ASDA.
(14 Oct 2013, 9:46 pm)Washingtonian wrote [ -> ]Sorry I maybe didn't word my post correctly. I meant to ask if there had been a consultation for the whole Washington area and not just the Connections 4 service. I have seen no consultations for M2/3, W5/6 and Silver Arrows etc. I personally think GNE could do more with regards to finding out passengers needs and also what would encourage more people to use the bus. Its all very well them saying would you like Option A or Option B but is that really finding out what passengers want? Take Brady Square for example. If you wanted to get to Concord from Brady Square quickly as possible, would you really want to travel around half of Washington to get there? The W5 takes nearly half an hour for a journey that can be done in the car in around 5 mins. No wonder services like this don't have great loadings.

The Silver Arrows was consulted on only last year. I believe this was along with the proposal to terminate half of the M1 journeys at fatfield. The M2/M3 hasn't been done for a while afaik, but that was councillor driven so I'm lead to believe.

On the W5/W6, you're always going to have that problem. I could drive to Sunderland in 10 mins but it'd take 3x that by bus. Durham is 15 mins in a car or an hour by 2 buses. They'd argue you could get to concord in 10 mins anyway if you had a 5 min walk to the Vic and got the M1.
Anyone else having the problem of the new X7 timetable opening in word, iv'e tried to convert it on to Adobe Reader but it's not working.

I know the changes since they were posted it on here, was just wondering if anyone else had the problem.
I think that's actually a good idea with the 9, but the rest, is there seriously any need...?
(14 Oct 2013, 9:59 pm)Mark1 wrote [ -> ]On the subject of the 26, do the guaranteed connections at Boldon ASDA with the X3/X36 still exist? Since the X36 was introduced the Newcastle bound buses do seem less inclined to wait for the 26 at ASDA.

They still operate at the same time from Newcastle, so I suppose so, yes!
As promised...
I will scan in a better copy tonight when I get home, or I could try and do it in school if I can get a teacher to pull a few strings for me.
Just looking through a few Notices & Proceedings and noticed this in the latest one:

GO NORTH EAST LIMITED
Director(s): Keith Down, David Brown, McPHERSON COLIN, CARR KEVIN.
117 QUEEN STREET GATESHEAD NE8 2UA
New operating centre: GATESHEAD RIVERSIDE DEPOT, MANDELA WAY , GATESHEAD NE11 9DH ()
New authorisation at this operating centre will be: 154 vehicle(s),
(15 Oct 2013, 8:26 am)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]Just looking through a few Notices & Proceedings and noticed this in the latest one:

GO NORTH EAST LIMITED
Director(s): Keith Down, David Brown, McPHERSON COLIN, CARR KEVIN.
117 QUEEN STREET GATESHEAD NE8 2UA
New operating centre: GATESHEAD RIVERSIDE DEPOT, MANDELA WAY , GATESHEAD NE11 9DH ()
New authorisation at this operating centre will be: 154 vehicle(s),

Does anyone have the current authorisation for the depots to be amalgamated into this new centre?
Marley Pots losing connection to Asda yet again Sad
(14 Oct 2013, 9:46 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]As Daniel has said - but I agree with your other points, especially the least populous part of Fatfield, being served by so many buses.

Aureolin has an interesting map showing past and present services, including the likes of Teal Farm, Knoulberry etc which have been abondoned by GNE.

Yeah I would certainly cut the number of buses serving Fatfield. A 15 minute daytime frequency for Connections 4 would be more than enough and I would cut the 2A and 2C to a half hourly frequency to provide a combined 15 minute frequency. With this current 10 minute frequency, some buses are running in 2s and some are running half or less than half full.
(15 Oct 2013, 11:30 am)Washingtonian wrote [ -> ]Yeah I would certainly cut the number of buses serving Fatfield. A 15 minute daytime frequency for Connections 4 would be more than enough and I would cut the 2A and 2C to a half hourly frequency to provide a combined 15 minute frequency. With this current 10 minute frequency, some buses are running in 2s and some are running half or less than half full.

I don't get or see the Silver Arrows enough to comment on how popular it is - but Station Road from Penshaw tunnel all the way down to Worm Hill Terrace in Fatfield is a tad over bussed.

I would argue Fallowfield Way and into Biddick is too.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a regular service in areas that need it - but not at the expense of others.
According to a thread on SkyScraper City planning permission has gone in for the demolition of Winlaton and Sunderland Road depots
(15 Oct 2013, 12:06 pm)gtomlinson wrote [ -> ]According to a thread on SkyScraper City planning permission has gone in for the demolition of Winlaton and Sunderland Road depots

That could be quite a site - with the depot being demolished and the housing to the rear, off the Felling Bypass/Park Lane also being razed.
Not sure whether the council have an interest in it or compulsory purchase over any land they don't own.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=gateshead&ll=54.959975,-1.594133&spn=0.007503,0.021136&hnear=Gateshead,+Tyne+and+Wear,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=16

Obviously the Metro goes underneath it, so that will possibly affect any development

edit: Said application for to demolish bus depot on Sunderland Road
http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-ap...ab=summary&keyVal=MUCS4GHK09400
(15 Oct 2013, 12:14 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]That could be quite a site - with the depot being demolished and the housing to the rear, off the Felling Bypass/Park Lane also being razed.
Not sure whether the council have an interest in it or compulsory purchase over any land they don't own.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=gateshead&ll=54.959975,-1.594133&spn=0.007503,0.021136&hnear=Gateshead,+Tyne+and+Wear,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=16

Obviously the Metro goes underneath it, so that will possibly affect any development

edit: Said application for to demolish bus depot on Sunderland Road
http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-ap...ab=summary&keyVal=MUCS4GHK09400

Just to add to this - you can also view previous applications made in relation to the building, including this one in 2001 public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?previousCaseUprn=010022993960&previousCaseType=Property&previousKeyVal=00081KHKLI000&activeTab=summary&previousCaseNumber=00081KHKBU000&keyVal=HCYRB8HK30000
I seen one of the 4 Connections Mercs at The Galleries about an Hour ago think it may of been on Driver Familiarisation or Testing the Next Stop Announcements Possibly. I didn't get photo as I have my camera on me plus I walking across the footbridge next to Asda at the time.