North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(28 Nov 2017, 7:11 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Na there both getting refurbished too.

The 4 might get USB when they away for warranty repaint...
I'd predict 3 Omnis transferring to Washington as the spares for the 4 & 50 (and 5 whatever is happening with that) allowing 5324 and 5337/8 to transfer elsewhere.

I'll also predict a few also transferring to Stanley. Not only one to replace 5248, but also a few more to convert some of the double deck Toon Link boards to single deck with the Omnidekkas transferring elsewhere to replace B7TLs.

I don't know about the rest though. Perhaps the 19 could be a good option.
(28 Nov 2017, 6:14 pm)deanmachine wrote [ -> ]It says a direct link to Newcastle from the Scotch Estate, so I doubt they'll needlessly change to a 27 again in Jarrow, it'll be 26/27 the whole way. You'd think.

The way I read it, was that all buses between Newcastle and Jarrow were 27's. At Jarrow, the route splits.
26 - Shields via Hosp.
27 - Shields via Tyne Dock.

If you're getting on at Hebburn and needing to go to S Tyneside hosp, you will see a 27 approaching. Do you stop it in the hope it changes to a 26? Do you stop it and ask the driver if they're changing to a 26? Or do you use the timetable (bearing in mind they're running at 10min intervals on that stretch) and board it, knowing that the bus due, is going to change in to a 26?
(28 Nov 2017, 7:29 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]The way I read it, was that all buses between Newcastle and Jarrow were 27's. At Jarrow, the route splits.
26 - Shields via Hosp.
27 - Shields via Tyne Dock.

If you're getting on at Hebburn and needing to go to S Tyneside hosp, you will see a 27 approaching. Do you stop it in the hope it changes to a 26? Do you stop it and ask the driver if they're changing to a 26? Or do you use the timetable (bearing in mind they're running at 10min intervals on that stretch) and board it, knowing that the bus due, is going to change in to a 26?

Nope. This is incorrect. Read the information again for clarity.

Dan/Citaro5284 can you put a word ib to get the GNE news page reworded please
(28 Nov 2017, 7:32 pm)ifm001 wrote [ -> ]Nope. This is incorrect. Read the information again for clarity.

Dan/Citaro5284 can you put a word ib to get the GNE news page reworded please

What is it meant to be then?

Increased frequency of the Crusader 27 service, which will operate every 10 minutes between Newcastle, Gateshead, Hebburn and Jarrow. From Jarrow towards South Shields, buses will operate every 20 minutes on the current 27 route via Tyne Dock, and every 20 minutes on the number 26 via South Tyneside District Hospital, replacing service 88/88A.

26 and 27 both operating between Newcastle and Shields? But splitting at Jarrow?
The way that I've read it was that the 26 and 27 from Newcastle to jarrow then 27 normal route to Shields and the 26 having its own route to Shields from jarrow replacing some of the 88 series route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
my question is what will the evening/sunday service be like

at present both 27 and 88 operate every 30 mins at these times. Will the 26/27 continue every 30 mins between them giving a hourly service on each between Jarrow and Shields or will they both go every 30 mins giving a doubled frequency of every 15 mins between Newcastle and Jarrow.
wont be long til we find out.
(28 Nov 2017, 7:36 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]What is it meant to be then?

26 and 27 both operating between Newcastle and Shields? But splitting at Jarrow?

Yes. 

The full details of all the service changes with timetables etc will be posted later, that is just a brief summary of what will be happening.
(28 Nov 2017, 7:39 pm)S813 FVK wrote [ -> ]Yes. 

The full details of all the service changes with timetables etc will be posted later, that is just a brief summary of what will be happening.

Oof, I think it is very poorly worded if that is the case.
No mention at all of the the 26 running between Newcastle and Jarrow in the press release.
(28 Nov 2017, 7:41 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Oof, I think it is very poorly worded if that is the case.
No mention at all of the the 26 running between Newcastle and Jarrow in the press release.

"The 26 service via South Tyneside Hospital, will also provide new direct links to Newcastle and Gateshead from parts of Jarrow such as Primrose and Scotch Estate."
According to Nexus timetables, current running times

Service 27
South Shields to Jarrow 20 Minutes
Service 88
South Shields to Jarrow 40 Minutes
Service 27
Jarrow to Newcastle 43 minutes

Giving a possible 26 South Shields to Newcastle just short of an hour and a half.

Roughly the same as the 50 all the way to Durham.

I'm potentially 15/20 minutes into the 26 route from Shields and if the are problems on the metro id be using the 26 as an alternative but I wouldn't be happy at having to sit for at least another hour from getting on.

Bring back the expresses !!!
(28 Nov 2017, 7:49 pm)S813 FVK wrote [ -> ]"The 26 service via South Tyneside Hospital, will also provide new direct links to Newcastle and Gateshead from parts of Jarrow such as Primrose and Scotch Estate."

Using the information provided (that seems to be misleading and/or badly worded), that 26 will change to a 27 at Jarrow and run at a 10min frequency.

Increased frequency of the Crusader 27 service, which will operate every 10 minutes between Newcastle, Gateshead, Hebburn and Jarrow.

So yeah, it is a direct service. Regardless of how badly written the info is and whether or not the 26 changes to a 27 or runs alongside it Wink
Another mess created by Go North East. What on earth is the point of having a bus service from South Shields to North Shields via such a circuitous route? Indeed what’s the point of a service between the two towns, when the ferry takes only 7 minutes? Surely the intelligent way of satisfying the demand for a direct bus from Hebburn to Sunderland would have been to extend the service 9 journeys which currently terminate at Jarrow, leaving the North Shields-Sunderland link intact, albeit only hourly. Yes, this would have created a 40/20 split between buses running from Sunderland to Hebburn, but sometimes this can’t be avoided.

Now North Shields will have another GNE route covering places no-one will want to visit, to add to the other useless routes serving the town, i.e. to Wrekenton, Kibblesworth and the very lengthy routes to the Metrocentre, Cramlington and Kingston Park. It’s all very well arguing that the demand for travel from North Shields to Sunderland was not very heavy, however it’s even less likely that people will want to travel the full length of the extended service 5. It appears that GNE bus routes are designed to satisfy GNE, and not the people it should be serving. Thank Goodness for the Metro.
(29 Nov 2017, 3:34 pm)Ex-conductor wrote [ -> ]Another mess created by Go North East. What on earth is the point of having a bus service from South Shields to North Shields via such a circuitous route? Indeed what’s the point of a service between the two towns, when the ferry takes only 7 minutes? Surely the intelligent way of satisfying the demand for a direct bus from Hebburn to Sunderland would have been to extend the service 9 journeys which currently terminate at Jarrow, leaving the North Shields-Sunderland link intact, albeit only hourly. Yes, this would have created a 40/20 split between buses running from Sunderland to Hebburn, but sometimes this can’t be avoided.

Now North Shields will have another GNE route covering places no-one will want to visit, to add to the other useless routes serving the town, i.e. to Wrekenton, Kibblesworth and the very lengthy routes to the Metrocentre, Cramlington and Kingston Park. It’s all very well arguing that the demand for travel from North Shields to Sunderland was not very heavy, however it’s even less likely that people will want to travel the full length of the extended service 5. It appears that GNE bus routes are designed to satisfy GNE, and not the people it should be serving. Thank Goodness for the Metro.

Because people like me who live on the route between South shields and Boldon like to go to Royal Quays and North Shields as there are more shops that in South Shields. So its not a pointless service in any means.
(29 Nov 2017, 3:34 pm)Ex-conductor wrote [ -> ]Another mess created by Go North East. What on earth is the point of having a bus service from South Shields to North Shields via such a circuitous route? Indeed what’s the point of a service between the two towns, when the ferry takes only 7 minutes? Surely the intelligent way of satisfying the demand for a direct bus from Hebburn to Sunderland would have been to extend the service 9 journeys which currently terminate at Jarrow, leaving the North Shields-Sunderland link intact, albeit only hourly. Yes, this would have created a 40/20 split between buses running from Sunderland to Hebburn, but sometimes this can’t be avoided.

As already explained, the point is that people live along the route. No one is going to step out of their front door, straight onto a ferry and finish their journey at the other side, without some further travel.

It's a bit like asking why ANE have a bus that takes 90 minutes to get to Sunderland from Durham, when GNE have one that takes 50.
(29 Nov 2017, 4:40 pm)ifm001 wrote [ -> ]Because people like me who live on the route between South shields and Boldon like to go to Royal Quays and North Shields as there are more shops that in South Shields. So its not a pointless service in any means.

I’m afraid that my point is being missed here. I am concentrating on travel from North Shields, and my main point is that it is more likely that passengers will want to travel from there to Sunderland, rather than to any of the points offered beyond Jarrow. Currently service 9 goes through Boldon Colliery on the way to Sunderland. So through travel to North Shields and the Royal Quays will be new to people living between Boldon and South Shields; it is not an established link as you seem to imply.
(29 Nov 2017, 6:43 pm)Ex-conductor wrote [ -> ]I’m afraid that my point is being missed here. I am concentrating on travel from North Shields, and my main point is that it is more likely that passengers will want to travel from there to Sunderland, rather than to any of the points offered beyond Jarrow. Currently service 9 goes through Boldon Colliery on the way to Sunderland. So through travel to North Shields and the Royal Quays will be new to people living between Boldon and South Shields; it is not an established link as you seem to imply.

No-one (except enthusiasts, perhaps!), would be likely to travel from North Shields to, say, Whiteleas Estate on the 5 (likely to be around an hour). It would be far quicker to take the ferry and a bus from South Shields (35-40 minutes). I feel this has only been done for operational convenience to ensure the cross-river link was still provided after the service changes with the diversion of the 9, and not primarily to introduce a new link. 

I've travelled to Boldon and Sunderland a few times on the 9 from North Shields. Quite often I was one of very few people on board the bus in the Tyne tunnel, most of whom alighted at Jarrow.
South Shields to North Shields via everywhere else really is a curious one, but not unique... metro? Big Grin
(29 Nov 2017, 6:43 pm)Ex-conductor wrote [ -> ]I’m afraid that my point is being missed here. I am concentrating on travel from North Shields, and my main point is that it is more likely that passengers will want to travel from there to Sunderland, rather than to any of the points offered beyond Jarrow. Currently service 9 goes through Boldon Colliery on the way to Sunderland. So through travel to North Shields and the Royal Quays will be new to people living between Boldon and South Shields; it is not an established link as you seem to imply.

Nope. You quoted

"what on earth is the point in having a service from South Shields to North Shields"

I have given you an answer to this question.

Do you live on the route or even the vicinity of the South Tyneside area. If not please do not question why the folks of shields like to visit the other folks of Shields.
For the 5 im from boldon i only use to it to shields and back but might be good for some pople creating new links for shops etc but if it was to do that cut it off at whitleas and hedworth all them places that it goes in out and off, the 9 looks like a good idea juat have to wait and see