North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
(27 May 2014, 10:02 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]*What happens if: one Cadet breaks down in deepest, darkest Wardley?
But at the same time, another one breaks down turning right on the traffic lights outside the Three Tuns, whilst another one blows a gasket on a hill on the other side of Gateshead?

1001 will have its work cut out getting those back to the depot that day!

*inspired by Malarkeys scenario with buses, broken gear boxes/reverse selection and narrow roads in Harraton

Going back a bit there aren't we, to be honest though i'm surprised there has never been a crash on that stretch of road, Between two Silver Arrows Citaros or an M3 before.

In regards to Tow Trucks, why don't Go North East invest in a few more of them and them based at each depot, rather than having 1001 trolling about Gateshead to pick up 3 Broken Cadets and up the A19 to rescue a TTX, and it would save them some Dough in the long run.
(27 May 2014, 10:55 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Going back a bit there aren't we, to be honest though i'm surprised there has never been a crash on that stretch of road, Between two Silver Arrows Citaros or an M3 before.

In regards to Tow Trucks, why don't Go North East invest in a few more of them and them based at each depot, rather than having 1001 trolling about Gateshead to pick up 3 Broken Cadets and up the A19 to rescue a TTX, and it would save them some Dough in the long run.

It still makes me laugh, either passing Sycamore Avenue or over the bridge on a bus.

#easilypleased
#hashtagsonNEB
The logistics and economics of having more than one recovery vehicle depends on the frequency (and location) of breakdowns.

Most recovery jobs are not urgent (a replacement vehicle will have been sent in most cases).
Only when the casualty is in a dangerous position would the police insist on rapid recovery.

A well-run depot will not schedule breakdowns (though they will, of course happen), so keeping a recovery vehicle on standby will not be top of the list - more likely crews of fitters in vans with spares ready to rush out and rectify faults.

Some time ago I saw 1001 in Corbridge late at night trying to fix a Citaro Ten that had been parked at the bus stop for several hours with a major air leak (the compressor supply pipe had pulled through the olive) using very few tools and no spares rather than have to remove the drive shafts and wind-off the spring-brakes and suspend tow. The recovery driver said that he wasn't a fitter as such - just what he had picked up over the years. He struggled but he managed to fix the olive back onto the pipe so that the pipe didn't leak or blow off again and got someone out to drive it back.
A job well done!

I have seen Alpha recovering a (Classic?) AD122 from Hexham Wentworth (not this year obviously) doing a rear-end suspended tow - there were two 'fitters' in attendance on that occasion and they didn't hang about.
(27 May 2014, 10:34 pm)Racer_Experience wrote [ -> ]its a Killer for 67/69 to have cadets when they breakdown they cannot lend of Saltmeadows all the time it would be easier keeping them at Saltmeadows to be closer to the depot thats why they should keep at least a spare bus at every bus station incase there is a breakdown instead of trecking back to the depot if Sunderland Road had of still been open this issue would have been solved pronto

Clearly hasn't killed them yet...

A spare bus is usually still based at Gateshead Interchange (on the layover near the X66 stands). It's time, money, and the lack of resources to do this at every single bus station though. Arguably, you could say that it's no good for engineers if they go back to their respective depots as they will have to go to the bus station to collect the bus and then attend to the breakdown.
Everyone knows but:

Go North East
5 mins ·
Service #700 is omitting Sheepfolds and Stadium of Light for the rest of the day due to the One Direction concert.

Also

Prudhoe Community Fair - 1st June

Date: 28 May 2014

The Prudhoe Community Fair will take place on Sunday 1st June on Prudhoe Front Street, which will be closed to all traffic from 6am until 7pm.
During the above times, Services 10 & 10B will be diverted between the A695/B6395 and Station Road, Prudhoe via A695 Princess Way and Castlefields Drive to Station Road in both directions, where Service 10 will then rejoin normal route on Front Street towards West Road, and Service 10B will rejoin normal route towards Prudhoe Rail Interchange.

As is normal with such closures, buses will be unable to serve Stoneyflats Bank or Prudhoe Front Street, so temporary bus stops will again be installed on Castlefields Drive, in both directions at its western end, near the pedestrian link towards Broomhill Road/Neale Street and also at the eastern end near to the junction with Rolley Way and Broomhouse Lane to provide foot links to and from the suspended bus stops.
Just a reminder that changes to services 20 / 20A / 35 / 35A / 35B / 35C / 42 start on Sunday
While I was at Gateshead today, I noticed that on 6068, one of the Unit 1 drivers I know was standing and teaching a driver I recognised as from Unit 2 the ropes of the route, but the Unit 2 driver was driving. Is this standard?

I still saw Unit 2 drivers on Unit 2 routes and Unit 1 drivers on Unit 1 routes; but it appears the most senior drivers in each unit are the ones doing the on-board route learning.
(28 May 2014, 12:44 pm)Marcus wrote [ -> ]While I was at Gateshead today, I noticed that on 6068, one of the Unit 1 drivers I know was standing and teaching a driver I recognised as from Unit 2 the ropes of the route, but the Unit 2 driver was driving. Is this standard?

I still saw Unit 2 drivers on Unit 2 routes and Unit 1 drivers on Unit 1 routes; but it appears the most senior drivers in each unit are the ones doing the on-board route learning.

Some drivers learn better behind the wheel, where as others learn better taking notes then going over in your mind. So yes its common practice. Some drivers float between rotas (daily sheet drivers), as business requires and if they know all services. New universal rota takes effect on sat 28th june, all chester drivers should be ready by 14th.
has 4845 been transfered to Stanley can anybody clarify it has be only i saw it today on Red Kite Service 45/46 and last time i looked at fleet allocation it said 4845 is a Deptford bus
(28 May 2014, 5:32 pm)Racer_Experience wrote [ -> ]has 4845 been transfered to Stanley can anybody clarify it has be only i saw it today on Red Kite Service 45/46 and last time i looked at fleet allocation it said 4845 is a Deptford bus

Perhaps you should refer to NEB's fleet list instead...
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/fleet/gnefle...eetno=4845
(28 May 2014, 5:32 pm)Racer_Experience wrote [ -> ]has 4845 been transfered to Stanley can anybody clarify it has be only i saw it today on Red Kite Service 45/46 and last time i looked at fleet allocation it said 4845 is a Deptford bus

Yes, it is at Stanley
There was discussion about the vehicles off the 4, doing a short run to/from Rainton Bridge a while back.

Saw a Citaro doing one of those runs and arrived into Houghton a few minutes ago at about 2010.
For whatever reason, the blind shows:
Houghton le Spring 35c
Church

(hopefully formatting shows the church, under Houghton).

Granted there are no via points, but why the church and not just the same destination as other buses terminating in Houghton?
Both yesterday morning and this morning, at about the same time, I passed a Red Kite Omni in Shotley Bridge NIS. The first I assumed was on its way to cover a breakdown, but two breakdowns at the same time on two successive days? What's going on?
(29 May 2014, 9:59 am)grandad wrote [ -> ]Both yesterday morning and this morning, at about the same time, I passed a Red Kite Omni in Shotley Bridge NIS. The first I assumed was on its way to cover a breakdown, but two breakdowns at the same time on two successive days? What's going on?

I think Stanley operate some workers services in the Newcastle area. It's possible from there it runs back up to Consett on a 45/46?
Hi all,

The idea has just come to me that it may be worth having a thread devoted to what people have seen on engineering whilst out and about. Anything odd that you've seen or any major VOR vehicles that you want to discuss goes here Smile
Members of Go North East's "Passenger Panel" have been invited to take part in another short survey.
This time, Go North East would like to know what information you look for about Go North East bus services and what you think about the information that is available.

See screenshots below for the survey, and if you are on the passenger panel and have received a link to the survey via e-mail, you can be in for a chance of winning a £50 Amazon voucher too!

[attachment=5537]
[attachment=5538]
[attachment=5539]
[attachment=5540]
[attachment=5541]
[attachment=5542]
[attachment=5543]
[attachment=5544]
[attachment=5545]
[attachment=5546]
[attachment=5547]
[attachment=5548]
[attachment=5549]
[attachment=5550]
[attachment=5551]
[attachment=5552]
Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4902 has now been returned to Stanley following repaint.
(29 May 2014, 3:58 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4902 has now been returned to Stanley following repaint.

Thanks for the update.

What's the next one up for repaint? 4900 (they seem to be doing them backwards for some reason) Tongue
(29 May 2014, 4:01 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Thanks for the update.

What's the next one up for repaint? 4900 (they seem to be doing them backwards for some reason) Tongue

No idea - the next one hasn't arrived yet to my knowledge. Stanley are due to send one per week though, and Saltmeadows kept 4902 for over a week, so there should definitely one be going either tonight or tomorrow (and I'll be able to tell you then which one it is that has arrived).
(29 May 2014, 4:04 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]No idea - the next one hasn't arrived yet to my knowledge. Stanley are due to send one per week though, and Saltmeadows kept 4902 for over a week, so there should definitely one be going either tonight or tomorrow (and I'll be able to tell you then which one it is that has arrived).

Cheer's =)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33