North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2015
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
(22 Mar 2015, 5:50 pm)leestransportphotos wrote [ -> ]Thanks... It means a lot

Hey, I call it as I see it. 

To be honest, I didn't hear the supervisors response. It was his body language and facial expression which suggested indifference...
Yeah he had a face like a smacked a*se all day
(22 Mar 2015, 5:49 pm)leestransportphotos wrote [ -> ]He said that I'm not the only one to complain so far and they are expecting hundreds more but they've done their research.... He did say that he disagrees with Streetlites on the Red Kite though. He said he wasn't too sure about the Lime

Which is correct. They wouldn't have ordered streetlites if they didnt think they'd work...
I wasn't saying I didn't think it would work. I was pointing out the fact that I was on a Citaro on the X66 this morning and there was at least 20 standees
That might help...... A bit
(22 Mar 2015, 6:05 pm)leestransportphotos wrote [ -> ]I wasn't saying I didn't think it would work. I was pointing out the fact that I was on a Citaro on the X66 this morning and there was at least 20 standees

20 standees?

It's only a 10-15 minute journey, I've stood when a bendy has been full to the brim and it isn't that bad.

The problem is, people aren't wanting people to sit next to them so they sit on the inner seats rather the the outer seats.
Yes I counted 19. The bus was packed but it was 10ish.

It does my head in like mad when people sit on the outer seats and there is elderly people for example who have no where to sit! It's just general ignorance and it really boils my pi**! Davie you do that on the 9 don't you
(22 Mar 2015, 6:09 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]At least the Streetlite has 5 more seats compared to 5332.
I hate the seating layout on the Citaro's, if you sit on the lower level there is little room for my legs because of the heater and I nearly always end up having to sit on the backwards seats next to the sideways seats and the only way I can sit comfortably is to place one of my legs behind the sideways seats.
(22 Mar 2015, 6:01 pm)Robert wrote [ -> ]Which is correct. They wouldn't have ordered streetlites if they didnt think they'd work...

Omni's on the 21?
Marshall Darts on the 194?
Handybus on the 26, 721 and 777?
All replaced, older, bigger vehicles - the first two examples ended up having the originals back on route pretty soon.
The final example ended up with bigger vehicles too.

Granted technology is better now, but the reports relating to loadings won't be faultless.
The new vehicles may even stir additional custom, putting extra demand on the service - like the Mercs did on the X1.

You then have the build quality.
The Renowns have lasted on the 78/8 route since the late 90's, despite some of them looking worse for wear both internally and externally.
A short trial and the word of a sales-rep from Wrights isn't the best way to check suitability.
Council cutbacks may mean the road conditions deteriorate to a worse state than at present.

Like any purchase, it is a calculated gamble.
Only time will tell whether it was the correct one.
(22 Mar 2015, 7:59 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Omni's on the 21?
Marshall Darts on the 194?
Handybus on the 26, 721 and 777?
All replaced, older, bigger vehicles - the first two examples ended up having the originals back on route pretty soon.
The final example ended up with bigger vehicles too.

Granted technology is better now, but the reports relating to loadings won't be faultless.
The new vehicles may even stir additional custom, putting extra demand on the service - like the Mercs did on the X1.

You then have the build quality.
The Renowns have lasted on the 78/8 route since the late 90's, despite some of them looking worse for wear both internally and externally.
A short trial and the word of a sales-rep from Wrights isn't the best way to check suitability.
Council cutbacks may mean the road conditions deteriorate to a worse state than at present.

Like any purchase, it is a calculated gamble.
Only time will tell whether it was the correct one.

I agree with Robert. Go North East is able to monitor how many passengers get on a bus and which tickets/passes have been issued or used for passengers to board using one of its very many systems. This data was used prior to an order being made, and members of Go North East staff were out from early morning runs to late evening runs in August when single deckers (the Euro 6 Mercedes Citaro and "Drifter" branded Streetlite) to monitor and record loadings. This is on top of the extra Saturday bus being provided by a red Versa (when not required to cover for a branded vehicle on the "Citylink" 58 service) from November 2013 onwards.

According to drivers on the X66 service, Go North East does not expect to see market growth as a result of the new vehicles entering service. The new vehicles will see lower running costs (Streetlites are far more fuel-efficient than articulated Mercedes Citaros and there is no increased rate of pay any more) and hence increased profits, so there was no need to revolve a business case around increased patronage.

It's highly unlikely that the Streetlites would last 15 years on the 8/78 services, but I doubt Go North East intend to use them on said services for 15 years anyway... Sadly, I think it's quite likely that most bus operators will look to purchase light-weight vehicles and cascading them to lesser roles quicker than they ordinarily would have done with a heavy-weight vehicle. DaveyBowyer has told us plenty of times about how there is so little on offer for a heavy-weight double decker now, and that's because the majority of the market has been in favour of light-weight double deckers instead so that they can reap the rewards (lower running costs) in doing so. I think it's quite likely that the same will end up happening with single deckers, too.
(22 Mar 2015, 8:17 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I agree with Robert. Go North East is able to monitor how many passengers get on a bus and which tickets/passes have been issued or used for passengers to board using one of its very many systems. This data was used prior to an order being made, and members of Go North East staff were out from early morning runs to late evening runs in August when single deckers (the Euro 6 Mercedes Citaro and "Drifter" branded Streetlite) to monitor and record loadings. This is on top of the extra Saturday bus being provided by a red Versa (when not required to cover for a branded vehicle on the "Citylink" 58 service) from November 2013 onwards.

According to drivers on the X66 service, Go North East does not expect to see market growth as a result of the new vehicles entering service. The new vehicles will see lower running costs (Streetlites are far more fuel-efficient than articulated Mercedes Citaros and there is no increased rate of pay any more) and hence increased profits, so there was no need to revolve a business case around increased patronage.

It's highly unlikely that the Streetlites would last 15 years on the 8/78 services, but I doubt Go North East intend to use them on said services for 15 years anyway... Sadly, I think it's quite likely that most bus operators will look to purchase light-weight vehicles and cascading them to lesser roles quicker than they ordinarily would have done with a heavy-weight vehicle. DaveyBowyer has told us plenty of times about how there is so little on offer for a heavy-weight double decker now, and that's because the majority of the market has been in favour of light-weight double deckers instead so that they can reap the rewards (lower running costs) in doing so. I think it's quite likely that the same will end up happening with single deckers, too.

Indeed that is the way the whole industry is going now - save on short term costs and worry about long term later.... There is no way Streetlites will last up to 15 years old, which means they will need replacing quicker but of course that is 10 years down the line so we'll worry about that then. The ever more stringent rules on emissions etc are forcing manufacturers to cut as much weight out as possible too.
Today I actually asked one of the drivers I know from Washington depot about the 82 hoo-har and he said that the service was losing money hands down before the changes and still is. Also he said that he has had no problem driving a Solar around Birtley on it before, in fact he said the first bus to do that run (test run) was a Scania Solar! Also the 82 route WILL be changing next month.... No investment is planned though as it is not classed as an 'important' route
(22 Mar 2015, 8:53 pm)leestransportphotos wrote [ -> ]Today I actually asked one of the drivers I know from Washington depot about the 82 hoo-har and he said that the service was losing money hands down before the changes and still is. Also he said that he has had no problem driving a Solar around Birtley on it before, in fact he said the first bus to do that run (test run) was a Scania Solar! Also the 82 route WILL be changing next month.... No investment is planned though as it is not classed as an 'important' route

The services which were revised in January/February 2015 should be on a six-month probationary period before any further changes are made. It tends to take about six months for all potential customers to be fully aware of where a new bus service goes, which is why this time frame is used.

Service 82 will not be changing next month. A VOSA registration for changes has not been sent in yet, and these have to be sent in with a minimum of 56 days notice prior to the planned service revisions. There are a couple of exceptions to this, but I don't think "our service is running at a loss" (which I doubt in the first place?) would be one of them.
He said it definitely will be changing: I'm not talking about major changes,.. I'm talking about its getting re-routed around Birtley. He said it will no longer be turning left back up onto Harras Bank
(22 Mar 2015, 8:59 pm)leestransportphotos wrote [ -> ]He said it definitely will be changing: I'm not talking about major changes,.. I'm talking about its getting re-routed around Birtley. He said it will no longer be turning left back up onto Harras Bank

That would still have to be registered through VOSA regardless of how minor the change.
(22 Mar 2015, 8:59 pm)leestransportphotos wrote [ -> ]He said it definitely will be changing: I'm not talking about major changes,.. I'm talking about its getting re-routed around Birtley. He said it will no longer be turning left back up onto Harras Bank

It'd still require an amendment putting in to VOSA.

The only way a change to the service could be made with a registration made to VOSA in fewer than 56 days would, in this instance, be if the change is being made in response to a request from a traffic authority or the police on road safety or traffic grounds. The operator must give evidence of this request (eg a letter).
I'm not saying it didn't need registered with VOSA unless I have wrote something which you's can see and I can't?
I have at no point said anything about VOSA! All I'm doing is saying what the driver said... It doesn't need to turn into some massive technical debate
(22 Mar 2015, 9:04 pm)leestransportphotos wrote [ -> ]I have at no point said anything about VOSA! All I'm doing is saying what the driver said... It doesn't need to turn into some massive technical debate

It wasn't our intention to spark a "massive technical debate", we were just pointing out that service changes are unlikely to occur next month because a service revision has to be registered with VOSA prior to it occurring. There's no ifs or buts about this.

Other users on the forum will have a better local knowledge of the area than myself, but it's unlikely that the driver is right if there's no safety concerns with regards to the current routing of the service (as per the exception to the '56 day rule' outlined in my previous post). If there is, the driver may well be correct and VOSA may not have uploaded the registration to their website just yet.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47