North East Buses

Full Version: Wrestling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43
(13 Apr 2014, 11:03 pm)AdamY wrote [ -> ]They say the county of Norfolk is twinned with Norfolk because that's the way they like it.

And that the typical family tree looks like a stump!

Big Grin
Just been watching the Video package for Warriror again, very well done imo, I hope WWE can honour him by doing another retrospective documentary on his career as Self Destruction was scandalous
(24 Apr 2014, 3:06 pm)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]Just been watching the Video package for Warriror again, very well done imo, I hope WWE can honour him by doing another retrospective documentary on his career as Self Destruction was scandalous

According to Meltzer, Warrior filmed a lot of new material with the WWE prior to his death so, presumably, a revised career retrospective was well under way. Now that he's passed, the new documentary will probably come within the next couple of months. It will be interesting to juxtapose both documentaries to see whether the same cast of interviewees are used and how their views differ from before.

I wonder if we'll ever get to see a Macho Man Randy Savage career retrospective....
(24 Apr 2014, 7:53 pm)AdamY wrote [ -> ]According to Meltzer, Warrior filmed a lot of new material with the WWE prior to his death so, presumably, a revised career retrospective was well under way. Now that he's passed, the new documentary will probably come within the next couple of months. It will be interesting to juxtapose both documentaries to see whether the same cast of interviewees are used and how their views differ from before.

I wonder if we'll ever get to see a Macho Man Randy Savage career retrospective....

I personally want Davey Boy Smith to be given the biographical treatment(and posthumously inducted to the HoF [WHITE SMILING FACE]), Macho would be good, you could probably come up with a load of DVDs from that era alone, we have Jake Roberts, Dusty Rhodes, Flair, Hogan etc and of course the Self Destruction...If I remember correctly I dont anybody had anything good to say about Warrior and hopefully WWE can put that right.
(24 Apr 2014, 9:08 pm)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]I personally want Davey Boy Smith to be given the biographical treatment(and posthumously inducted to the HoF [WHITE SMILING FACE]), Macho would be good, you could probably come up with a load of DVDs from that era alone, we have Jake Roberts, Dusty Rhodes, Flair, Hogan etc and of course the Self Destruction...If I remember correctly I dont anybody had anything good to say about Warrior and hopefully WWE can put that right.

I would prefer to see a Dynamite Kid induction over Davey Boy Smith as he inspired a generation of wrestlers including one Chris Benoit. A Dynamite Kid documentary will be awesome from a match quality standpoint with stuff from the World of Sport era, Japan, and, of course, his and Davey Boy's WWF run in the late 80's. However, I reckon Davey Boy Smith will be inducted some day - probably when his son eventually makes his way back to WWE in a few years time.
In other news....

WWE Diva, Lana, posted this delightful image to her official WWE Facebook account last night.

[Image: Lana_WWE.jpg]

Nice!
(24 Apr 2014, 9:55 pm)AdamY wrote [ -> ]In other news....

WWE Diva, Lana, posted this delightful image to her official WWE Facebook account last night.

Nice!

She has cracking pair of Tits I have to say, But nevetheless I am going stick with Paige as the Diva I Fancy the Most at the Moment, She is just Unreal.

Top 5: Current Divas

1.) Paige
2.) Bella Twins (Triple Threat Match Wink )
3.) Summer Rae
4.) Layla
5.) Alicia Fox

Top 5: Former Divas

1.) Trish Stratus
2.) Torrie Wilson
3.) Stacey Kiebler
4.) Candice Michelle
5.) Lita
(24 Apr 2014, 10:08 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Top 5: Current Divas

1.) Paige
3.) Summer Rae
4.) Layla
5.) Alicia Fox

1.) Trish Stratus
2.) Torrie Wilson
3.) Stacey Kiebler
4.) Candice Michelle
5.) Lita

Are you basing these top 5s on wrestling ability, or appearance? Tongue
(24 Apr 2014, 9:26 pm)AdamY wrote [ -> ]I would prefer to see a Dynamite Kid induction over Davey Boy Smith as he inspired a generation of wrestlers including one Chris Benoit. A Dynamite Kid documentary will be awesome from a match quality standpoint with stuff from the World of Sport era, Japan, and, of course, his and Davey Boy's WWF run in the late 80's. However, I reckon Davey Boy Smith will be inducted some day - probably when his son eventually makes his way back to WWE in a few years time.

Dynamite was awesome, definately, maybes a British Bulldogs retrospective, between the two of them, they are the poster of what not to do, Davey is dead and look at Dynamite, he is a broken man living in Manchester, crippled, lost his family, with nothing, really sad to see, and he was supposed to be a right wanker back in the day, he was a big joker, just his jokes and ribs were quite cruel and nasty from what I heard.

(24 Apr 2014, 9:55 pm)AdamY wrote [ -> ]In other news....

Nice!

She is stunning, I like Paige

(24 Apr 2014, 10:08 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]She has cracking pair of Tits I have to say, But nevetheless I am going stick with Paige as the Diva I Fancy the Most at the Moment, She is just Unreal.

Top 5: Current Divas

1.) Paige
3.) Summer Rae
4.) Layla
5.) Alicia Fox

1.) Trish Stratus
2.) Torrie Wilson
3.) Stacey Kiebler
4.) Candice Michelle
5.) Lita

Paige is awesome...

As for your 5 former divas, Lita at 5, I guess your basing it on looks, I would have Lita up there with Trish and Mickie James would make my list as well
(25 Apr 2014, 6:49 am)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]Dynamite was awesome, definately, maybes a British Bulldogs retrospective, between the two of them, they are the poster of what not to do, Davey is dead and look at Dynamite, he is a broken man living in Manchester, crippled, lost his family, with nothing, really sad to see, and he was supposed to be a right wanker back in the day, he was a big joker, just his jokes and ribs were quite cruel and nasty from what I heard.

She is stunning, I like Paige

Paige is awesome...

As for your 5 former divas, Lita at 5, I guess your basing it on looks, I would have Lita up there with Trish and Mickie James would make my list as well

Purely based on looks, if it was on Wrestling Abillity it would be completely different, Half the Current Divas can't even Wrestle anyway.....Eva Marie springs to mind along with that JoJo or whatever her name is.
(25 Apr 2014, 6:49 am)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]Dynamite was awesome, definately, maybes a British Bulldogs retrospective, between the two of them, they are the poster of what not to do, Davey is dead and look at Dynamite, he is a broken man living in Manchester, crippled, lost his family, with nothing, really sad to see, and he was supposed to be a right wanker back in the day, he was a big joker, just his jokes and ribs were quite cruel and nasty from what I heard.

Have you ever read Dynamite's book? - It's an unabashed testament to how hard he considered himself to be in the fake world of pro wrestling. He wrestled hard and, like most wrestlers of the era, played harder. But he does come across as a bell-end and, despite his fall from grace, it's quite hard to feel sympathy for the man. By all accounts, Davey Boy Smith was just as bad but less stubborn and bitter and more sycophantic which probably made him more likeable to others.
(25 Apr 2014, 1:30 pm)AdamY wrote [ -> ]Have you ever read Dynamite's book? - It's an unabashed testament to how hard he considered himself to be in the fake world of pro wrestling. He wrestled hard and, like most wrestlers of the era, played harder. But he does come across as a bell-end and, despite his fall from grace, it's quite hard to feel sympathy for the man. By all accounts, Davey Boy Smith was just as bad but less stubborn and bitter and more sycophantic which probably made him more likeable to others.

Going by interviews I have seen, Davey was mischieveous but likable and from what I have read and heard over the years he calmed down once Dynamite was off the scene, but your right, wrestlers played as hard as they worked in that era, I find it hard to have any sympathy for a man who had it all and threw it all away, I havent read his book, but would like too, will keep an eye out on amazon and bookshops for it, unfortunately I have no real clear memory of wrestling back then, so cannot really remember Dynamite, I only started watching probably very early 90's, Dynamite was probably still around, but I was more into Davey Boy, Bret and early Undertaker
(24 Apr 2014, 10:52 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Are you basing these top 5s on wrestling ability, or appearance? Tongue

Based on wrestling ability, the zenith of the WWF/E Women's division was undoubtedly the Autumn of 1995. Bull Nakano and Alundra Blayze were promoted as the main stars while talent was brought in from All-Japan Women to, briefly, complement the division and also to enable an all female Survivor Series match to occur at that years event.

These girls could go and were easily better than most of the male roster at that time. Unfortunately, it was not to last. Bull Nakano got caught with coke and was subsequently released while the likes of Aja Kong were considered a little bit too stiff for the promotion at the time.

Incidentally, Paige now uses Bull Nakano's Scorpion Crosslock as her finisher after seeing her use it in a match against Alundra Blayze.

As I love to pimp wrestling matches, here's one from an episode of RAW in 1995 featuring Alundra Blayze, Kyoko Inoue, Aja Kong & Tomoko Watanabe. Completely different to the quality of WWE Women's matches now.

Here is a documentary about Warrior...

Enjoy
CHIKARA!

My favourite wrestling promotion returns tonight after almost a year's hiatus. If you love cartoonish over-the-top, well-thought storylines with few plotholes then this is the promotion for you.

Can't wait!
I have heard of Chikara, never seen any of it though...Is it Japanese???
(25 May 2014, 10:21 am)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]I have heard of Chikara, never seen any of it though...Is it Japanese???

Nope. American, mostly situated in the Pennsylvania area although they have expanded into other areas of the North-East and the Mid-West.

Their last show, Never Compromise (June 2nd 2013), was forcibly shut down in an angle involving the shadowy corporation, The Titor Conglomorate, and their subsidiaries, Condor Security, during the closing moments of the main event for the Chikara Grand Championship between Eddie Kingston and Icarus. Condor rushed the ring and started dismantling the ring, the set, and removed both wrestlers from the ring as the show went to back leaving the audience confused and angry. This is what happened in the aftermath (courtesy of Wikipedia).

After the pay-per-view went off the air, the Condor Security began shooing fans out of the Trocadero Theatre.[11] Some of the Chikara staff continued playing up the storyline outside of the arena with referee Bryce Remsburg rushing away in tears, while quiz host Billy Kumohara claimed that he had been fired for standing up to the Condor Security. Pro Wrestling Insider reported that some fans were particularly upset with the closing angle, with one fan breaking one of the Trocadero Theatre's glass doors. Chikara continued the storyline the following day on its official website, "canceling" all events scheduled for the rest of 2013. Though tickets had been put on sale for the events prior to Aniversario: Never Compromise, fans had not been able to purchase them. To help push the storyline, the promotion's physical assets, including the set and audio equipment, were also supposedly put on sale by The Titor Conglomerate. In the days that followed Aniversario: Never Compromise, confusion and speculation arose in the professional wrestling world as to what the show's closing angle meant for the future of Chikara. Insider newsletters such as Pro Wrestling Insider and Wrestling Observer Newsletter speculated on a number of possibilities from the legitimate closing of the promotion to a "comic book style reboot". Bryan Alvarez of the Figure Four Weekly newsletter reported speaking to people close to Chikara founder and booker Mike Quackenbush who "don't have any idea where [the storyline] is going, but feel that [Quackenbush] is trying to do something big, something never done before in wrestling". According to Pro Wrestling Insider, members of the Chikara roster were asked to sign non-disclosure agreements before the pay-per-view to help keep future developments a secret. Chikara remained largely quiet the days following the iPPV, responding only to some of the rumors with the statement "[t]here is no issue regarding ownership of the Chikara name, brand, its assets or intellectual properties. Any speculation to the contrary is 100% false".Though Chikara did not hold any official events for the rest of 2013, the promotion's wrestlers, led by Icarus, who had held fan gatherings in July and September, petitioning for the return of Chikara, held a small "guerrilla event" in Philadelphia's Franklin Delano Roosevelt Park on November 2 with the storyline being that they were fighting Wink Vavasseur to bring back the promotion full-time. The event aired live on Ustream. It was then announced that on November 30 in Philadelphia there would be a city-wide fan scavenger hunt that would "decide the future" of Chikara.

The storyline following Aniversario: Never Compromise was that Derek Sabato had exposed the Titor Conglomerate by showing a connection between its executives and Condor Security's new extremist compound, leaving the Vavasseurs scrambling to cover their tracks. The Titor Conglomerate went into hiding, distanced themselves from WMD and put the Chikara brand, its related intellectual properties and remaining physical assets on sale, reducing the promotion to ashes. Following Aniversario: Never Compromise many Chikara wrestlers began working for its seven "Wrestling is" sister promotions. In the autumn of 2013, several Chikara rudos of the past began emerging in these promotions and shutting them down. First Gekido returned to Wrestling is Intense on September 15, took over the show and forced to promotion to shut down in a scene reminiscent of the closing moments of Aniversario: Never Compromise, then Kaiju Big Battel's Dr. Cube stole Wrestling is Awesome's money and assets, bankrupting them, Sinn Bodhi took over Wrestling is Art and shut it down and in December Wrestling is Cool owner Milo Schnitzler revealed himself aligned with Bruderschaft des Kreuzes (BDK) and shut the promotion down under command from the stable's leader, Ares. The united rudo group then began threatening the biggest and original Wrestling is promotion, Wrestling is Fun! (WiF!), but their attack on January 18, 2014, was thwarted by a group of defenders, led by Icarus. The following day, Wrestling is Respect was shut down, when Sidney Bakabella's Wrecking Crew (The Devastation Corporation, Jaka and Oleg the Usurper) turned on the defenders and joined the rudo group. On February 1, 2014, the second National Pro Wrestling Day concluded in an angle, where the group of rudos, now made up of BDK, The Colony: Xtreme Force, Dr. Cube and his Posse, Gekido, Sidney Bakabella's Wrecking Crew and Sinn Bodhi and his Odditorium stable and led by Jimmy Jacobs, stormed the event to destroy the final remnants of Chikara. This led to several Chikara wrestlers, including rudos The Batiri, Los Ice Creams and Mark Angelosetti and tecnicos The Colony, Dasher Hatfield, Hallowicked and Icarus running in to attack the group. Finally the Chikara side was also joined by 3.0, who arrived on the scene in a DeLorean with Archibald Peck, implying that they had gone back in time to retrieve him. After the invading group had been driven out of the ring, Icarus declared that Chikara was coming back on May 25, 2014, signaling the end of the promotion's one-year long hiatus. It was later revealed that in storyline former Chikara wrestler Robbie Ellis had won the auction in December 2013 and purchased the promotion from WMD, making the return possible. Chikara booker Mike Quackenbush later explained that the idea behind the storyline was to "expand what out performance art is capable of", while admitting that its complexity probably led to the promotion losing a few followers. Quackenbush also dispelled rumors that the promotion's downtime was due to financial difficulties, noting that while the Chikara brand appeared to be dark, it put together a record number of live events through the "Wrestling is" network, while also claiming that the downtime was just "a necessary part of the story". According to Quackenbush he had realized that the single character in the Chikara universe that people had the most emotional investment in was not a wrestler, but the brand itself and as a storyteller his idea was to put the protagonist under a real threat, driving the audience on an emotional journey. Quackenbush also revealed that the storyline was heavily influenced by the third act of the comic book Watchmen. While Chikara was inactive, the storyline was chronicled in a YouTube series, titled Ashes. An extended movie version of the series, titled The Ashes of Chikara, premiered on May 5 in Collegeville, Pennsylvania and was made available for purchase four days later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aniversario...Compromise

Quite the storyline! [/align]
Watched 'You Only Live Twice' (The return of Chikara) last night and thought it was a pretty good show overall. The crowd was hot and very vocal and most of the matches delivered in the ring. Old favourites returned while new characters debuted such as 'Smooth Sailing' Ashley Remmington and Qefca the Quiet. A new Grand Champion was crowned and the show closed with an angle introducing a new, evil 'Big Boss' type character who unleashed captured (and presumably brainwashed) Chikara wrestlers, Soldier Ant and Delirious, upon their former comrades in a chaotic post-event brawl. The unnamed 'Big Boss' character then went onto destroy Kobald with a devastating Chokebreaker to end the show.

The battle-lines have been drawn for Season 14 of Chikara and I can't wait to see the story unfold!
(27 May 2014, 11:53 am)AdamY wrote [ -> ]Watched 'You Only Live Twice' (The return of Chikara) last night and thought it was a pretty good show overall. The crowd was hot and very vocal and most of the matches delivered in the ring. Old favourites returned while new characters debuted such as 'Smooth Sailing' Ashley Remmington and Qefca the Quiet. A new Grand Champion was crowned and the show closed with an angle introducing a new, evil 'Big Boss' type character who unleashed captured (and presumably brainwashed) Chikara wrestlers, Soldier Ant and Delirious, upon their former comrades in a chaotic post-event brawl. The unnamed 'Big Boss' character then went onto destroy Kobald with a devastating Chokebreaker to end the show.

The battle-lines have been drawn for Season 14 of Chikara and I can't wait to see the story unfold!

where do you watch all your wrestling mate...I only watch what Vinny Mac wants me to see, never really watched much else
(27 May 2014, 12:03 pm)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]where do you watch all your wrestling mate...I only watch what Vinny Mac wants me to see, never really watched much else

I use a variety of sources. Chikara, prior to their hiatus last year, used to release weekly podcasts via Youtube which documented the latest storyline developments in addition to airing featured matches from the promotion. Presumably, they will continue to do this now that the promotion is back.

New Japan Pro Wrestling, arguably the second placed promotion after WWE, also release matches and events via Youtube as do Mexican promotions CMLL and AAA.

People, of course, sometimes rip matches from DVD's and post them to YouTube, Daily Motion and Vimeo. Through this, pretty much every promotion in the world is covered to some extent. You just have to know what to search for and where to look I suppose.

Here's one of Chikara's old weekly podcasts. This one covers their annual 'King of Trios' event from 2009 featuring current WWE wrestlers Antonio Cesaro (then known as Claudio Castagnoli) and Daniel Bryan (Bryan Danielson); and British wrestling legend Johnny Saint

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43