North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2013
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(23 Nov 2013, 4:04 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]How do you know that bus operators do not identify trends with smartcard usage - not everyone who shops in Tesco has a clubcard either.

You are right, not everyone has a clubcard.
I would put a bet that the uptake of clubcards compared to key cards is greater though (based on a sample percentage).

Even if key card holders do have their travel patterns analysed, I am guessing the uptake compared to actual passenger numbers carried, that any analysis would be distorted, vague or at the very least not suitable for purpose.
(23 Nov 2013, 3:46 pm)andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Yeah they do, but do all customers have a Key Card?
Do all drivers record paper tickets on the machine?

Even if every single passenger had a key card, there is a difference between collecting the data and also analysing it to ensure passengers are adequetly catered for.

Tesco identify trends well with their clubcard - bus operators need to up their game though.

Having 10 buses an hour through the Galleries from Newcastle doesn't help the people having to change buses, pay extra or walk the final few miles home.
Just as an example, but if 60 people an hour (10 per bus and probably a realistic figure) transfer between an x1 and 4 at the Galleries with 90% of them getting on/off between Glebe and Fatfield, is there an argument to say there should be a bus between Fatfield and Newcastle?
Going off those figures, the demand is there for that extra bus and (getting back to the main point raised earlier) it would ease pressure on the x1 too.

I don't have a keycard, as I dont believe GNE should be using the data for their own needs for profit and also charging their customers for a £5 replacing fee.

GNE wants passengers to use their connecting bus services to get to your destination, (example: GNE will not put on a Fatfield to Newcastle direct service as theres an 10 minute service 4 to Galleries then a 10 minute X1 from Galleries to Newcastle) should be glad that these to connecting bus services runs on a 10 minute frequency, theres a lot of passengers that don't have these sort of 10 minute frequencies and have to relay on an hour service or half hourly service.

GNE have streamlined there bus services as all the bus companies have to maximise their profits. These days if you use the bus then you have to go to your destination when the bus company says so by the timetable, its not like 30 years ago when you be able to board a bus service when you like and go where you like.
(23 Nov 2013, 4:10 pm)cbma06 wrote [ -> ]I don't have a keycard, as I dont believe GNE should be using the data for their own needs for profit and also charging their customers for a £5 replacing fee.

GNE wants passengers to use their connecting bus services to get to your destination, (example: GNE will not put on a Fatfield to Newcastle direct service as theres an 10 minute service 4 to Galleries then a 10 minute X1 from Galleries to Newcastle) should be glad that these to connecting bus services runs on a 10 minute frequency, theres a lot of passengers that don't have these sort of 10 minute frequencies and have to relay on an hour service or half hourly service.

GNE have streamlined there bus services as all the bus companies have to maximise their profits. These days if you use the bus then you have to go to your destination when the bus company says so by the timetable, its not like 30 years ago when you be able to board a bus service when you like and go where you like.

I agree with you on each and every one of those points and it is because of the streamlining you mention, that passengers are crowded onto buses and are forced to hang around waiting for connections.

There was always a frequent service between the Galleries and Newcastle.
By doing quick sums, there is 1 bus an hour extra now, than there was 25 years ago.
Except 25 years ago, passengers had a choice - get the first bus and change, or wait 15mins and get a bus directly to the end of their street.
(23 Nov 2013, 3:46 pm)andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Yeah they do, but do all customers have a Key Card?
Do all drivers record paper tickets on the machine?

Even if every single passenger had a key card, there is a difference between collecting the data and also analysing it to ensure passengers are adequetly catered for.

Tesco identify trends well with their clubcard - bus operators need to up their game though.

Having 10 buses an hour through the Galleries from Newcastle doesn't help the people having to change buses, pay extra or walk the final few miles home.
Just as an example, but if 60 people an hour (10 per bus and probably a realistic figure) transfer between an x1 and 4 at the Galleries with 90% of them getting on/off between Glebe and Fatfield, is there an argument to say there should be a bus between Fatfield and Newcastle?
Going off those figures, the demand is there for that extra bus and (getting back to the main point raised earlier) it would ease pressure on the x1 too.

I would love to know why GNE decided to reduce the services along Durham Road between Low Fell and Newcastle.
25 years ago, there was a more frequent service, ultimately serving a range of places - yet they cancelled them all, pushing everyone onto a 21 and now they struggle to cope with loads during peak times.

Because GNE wanted to streamline there bus services as their did in other areas of the north east, putting profits before passengers again.

off genda but revelant on this message:

If the QCS doesn't go ahead then the bus services would be getting worse years to come as more and more commercial bus services are not making enough profits for the bus companies and their shareholders, and the councils cant keep securing bus services because the bus company decided its not commercial for them and its the passengers that are being left out without a bus service on evenings etc...
(23 Nov 2013, 4:16 pm)cbma06 wrote [ -> ]Because GNE wanted to streamline there bus services as their did in other areas of the north east, putting profits before passengers again.

off genda but revelant on this message:

If the QCS doesn't go ahead then the bus services would be getting worse years to come as more and more commercial bus services are not making enough profits for the bus companies and their shareholders, and the councils cant keep securing bus services because the bus company decided its not commercial for them and its the passengers that are being left out without a bus service on evenings etc...

No matter how much wi-fi is thrown at us or how frequent services are in some areas - people want a bus that goes from a-b cheaply.
Not a-c and then to b and costing a fortune for the privalege.

Operators analysing journey patterns by looking at data on the small percentage of key cards in use, AFTER services were streamlined whilst chasing profits and appeasing shareholders, is not the best way to run a business.
Customers will become more unhappy than they already are, even if they apparently 'love' GNE.
(23 Nov 2013, 2:13 pm)Liam wrote [ -> ]The three latest Solo SRs for the "Venture" network to arrive are:

NL63 XZP
(No photo)

NL63 XZR

NL63 XZS

This means that six have now arrived.

I wouldn't mind seeing these for Peterlee depot in OK WAY livery, be more comfortable on the 202,259,260 rotation.

Venture doesn't have any competion with other bus companies, should of been for Peterlee then there would draw passengers from Arriva in the East Durham area.
(23 Nov 2013, 4:35 pm)andreos1 wrote [ -> ]No matter how much wi-fi is thrown at us or how frequent services are in some areas - people want a bus that goes from a-b cheaply.
Not a-c and then to b and costing a fortune for the privalege.

Operators analysing journey patterns by looking at data on the small percentage of key cards in use, AFTER services were streamlined whilst chasing profits and appeasing shareholders, is not the best way to run a business.
Customers will become more unhappy than they already are, even if they apparently 'love' GNE.

Does Wi-Fi only work when the interior lights are on?
(22 Nov 2013, 7:20 pm)andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Just jumping in (and jumping straight back out) of this Northern versus GNE vinyls debate - but when the Northern brand was launched, it was GNE in their marketing/pr blurb who explained that Northern was a recognised brand, passengers referred to GNE as 'The Northern' etc.

So if they are doing away with it, and rebranding everything in red as GNE, is this another change of tact/contradiction/back tracking from the powers that be at GNE/Northern towers?

It's just change for change's sake. It's almost universally known as "Northern", although quite often people refer to some of the brands, "Angel", "Red Arrows", "Coaster" and "OK" particularly, but never heard "Fab 56" or "Connections 4". However it's not often called " Go North East" which I've always thought weak and wishy-washy. I think almost all routes should have their own brand, with red "Northern" vehicles used as spares, ideally with the former large, gold, underlined "NORTHERN" on the side. Yes, I know I'm an old fart, but I know several younger people who agree. Combine mainly modern brands, plus a few rejuvenated traditional names like OK and Venture plus the red Northern buses as spares. Then let's have a bit of stability for a year or two without the constant chopping and changing of routes, timetables and brands.
(23 Nov 2013, 4:35 pm)andreos1 wrote [ -> ]people want a bus that goes from a-b cheaply.
Not a-c and then to b and costing a fortune for the privilege.

Passenger Focus says Go Ahead smartcards are better value for money than other tickets.

http://www.go-ahead.com/media/news/2013n...11-11.aspx
(23 Nov 2013, 5:14 pm)cbma06 wrote [ -> ]Does Wi-Fi only work when the interior lights are on?

No idea.
I have unlimited data, so never use it - although when I have tried to get on the wi-fi just out of curiosity more than anything, it has never worked.

Did pick up a connection when travelling in a car behind the x1 once though.
(23 Nov 2013, 5:27 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Passenger Focus says Go Ahead smartcards are better value for money than other tickets.

http://www.go-ahead.com/media/news/2013n...11-11.aspx

Have I read it wrong, but is that about prices in Oxford or in the North East?
If it can be used across a wide area on a range of operators - then I could be 'satisfied' like 3 in 4 of passengers in Oxford are.

Remember the Tyne & Wear ticket?
Now that was excellent value for money!
(23 Nov 2013, 5:14 pm)cbma06 wrote [ -> ]Does Wi-Fi only work when the interior lights are on?

Doesn't seem to work on any of the new buses. Two 58s I travelled on yesterday and I had the same problem as the Connections 4.
(23 Nov 2013, 5:30 pm)andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Have I read it wrong, but is that about prices in Oxford or in the North East?
If it can be used across a wide area on a range of operators - then I could be 'satisfied' like 3 in 4 of passengers in Oxford are.

Remember the Tyne & Wear ticket?
Now that was excellent value for money!

Go Ahead in Oxford, Brighton, etc operate in a considerably different environment than Northern do, and what would be seen as a reasonable fare in Oxford isn't appropriate here - unfortunately Northern seem to think it is.
(23 Nov 2013, 6:24 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote [ -> ]Go Ahead in Oxford, Brighton, etc operate in a considerably different environment than Northern do, and what would be seen as a reasonable fare in Oxford isn't appropriate here - unfortunately Northern seem to think it is.

Northern??
But I bet fares wouldn't be any cheaper under the Quality Contract. Whilst I think Northern's single fares are excessive, and especially if you have to do two buses, I don't think Buzzfare day tickets, which I use as I'm not yet an old enough fart to have an OAP pass, are too bad.
(23 Nov 2013, 6:15 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Doesn't seem to work on any of the new buses. Two 58s I travelled on yesterday and I had the same problem as the Connections 4.

There was a Drifter at Saltmeadows this week, so I'm guessing it's being looked at.
(23 Nov 2013, 6:37 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]There was a Drifter at Saltmeadows this week, so I'm guessing it's being looked at.

I believe it is 5375 which was sent there after being taken out service yesterday morning at Park Lane, as I seen it later in the Afternoon as I passed Saltmeadows on the 94 after taking a few photos at Heworth
Possible delays to the x66 for a period of time along Centrelink due to an enforced reduction in the speed limit www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-25068828
Never seen park lane so quiet... even for a sunday, its normally quite busy
(24 Nov 2013, 9:58 am)andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Possible delays to the x66 for a period of time along Centrelink due to an enforced reduction in the speed limit www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-25068828

Big Grin

This happened last year and the speed limit was entirely ignored.