North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If their get branded pink panthers then when there leave saltmeadows I hope there all go north onto North Tynelinks and let them have the pink panthers again, I can wait a few years for solos down here until I better colour arrives and a better brand.
Lets see how many enthusiasts hang around Saltmeadows so they can get a photo of it.
(20 Jul 2015, 4:39 pm)S813 FVK wrote [ -> ]Lets see how many enthusiasts hang around Saltmeadows so they can get a photo of it.

loads I reckon........some will be taking a deck chair to sit on!!
I now think the Streetdeck looks awful...didn't realise a bit of window covered the bottom of the stairs. The photo should explain what i mean if you don't understand: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nebp2/19673145590/
(20 Jul 2015, 4:44 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]loads I reckon........some will be taking a deck chair to sit on!!

Aye. Either that or they'll hang around for hours, we'll then start making comments about it and in their defence they'll say "well i was just on my way to [insert place name] and i got off the bus and was passing. I saw the bus, happened to have my camera on me (eventhough where i was going didn't involve taking photos) so stopped to get a shot of it"

Amazing how somebody who doesn't intend to go out and take photos of buses (or anything!) still bothers to take their camera with them.
I think they're missing a trick here, given how many registered key card users there are. In addition to the paper consultations distributed along the route, I don't know why a token based survey link isn't sent out to every user with a home address in the area open for consultation? I'm all for things being done online, but I find it baffling how I could be sitting on a computer in Australia, and leave feedback on the Diamond services in Stanley.

If there are technical limitations to it, why not just ask for a home post code on the first screen of the survey, and then filter out any results that aren't likely to use those services. If I put a TS20 post code in for example, then the chances of me using the Diamond services are probably slim to none.
I think they're missing a trick here, given how many registered key card users there are. In addition to the paper consultations distributed along the route, I don't know why a token based survey link isn't sent out to every user with a home address in the area open for consultation? I'm all for things being done online, but I find it baffling how I could be sitting on a computer in Australia, and leave feedback on the Diamond services in Stanley.

If there are technical limitations to it, why not just ask for a home post code on the first screen of the survey, and then filter out any results that aren't likely to use those services. If I put a TS20 post code in for example, then the chances of me using the Diamond services are probably slim to none.

(20 Jul 2015, 4:39 pm)S813 FVK wrote [ -> ]Lets see how many enthusiasts hang around Saltmeadows so they can get a photo of it.

I wish I had the time! I'll make an effort to if I'm off, but unfortunately that's not likely to be until August now. Sad
(20 Jul 2015, 5:01 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]I think they're missing a trick here, given how many registered key card users there are. In addition to the paper consultations distributed along the route, I don't know why a token based survey link isn't sent out to every user with a home address in the area open for consultation? I'm all for things being done online, but I find it baffling how I could be sitting on a computer in Australia, and leave feedback on the Diamond services in Stanley.

Anyone can go on the Internet and get a post code for an address for the area where the consultation is. Not all passengers have key cards.
(20 Jul 2015, 5:06 pm)cbma06 wrote [ -> ]Anyone can go on the Internet and get a post code for an address for the area where the consultation is. Not all passengers have key cards.

It's best of both worlds though, as I'd suggested in addition to the paper consultation delivered along the route. I'd suggest that you are going to give the opportunity to most of your target audience by doing that. With an online consultation open to everyone, you can set a target audience, but you'll never achieve it.
(20 Jul 2015, 2:47 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]That's right - new Optare Solo SR 655 (NK15 GDJ) was delivered to Go North East earlier today.

As for the brand name, interior specification, and other technicalities, I'd suggest your best bet is to keep an eye on Go North East's website... More info coming soon! Smile

Might have a catchy name anyhow how many solos are they getting from what someone said about 15 of them correct me if am wrong but could you also get me the PVR of the routes of the East Durham brand please eg 202 would be let me know asap
(20 Jul 2015, 5:01 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]I think they're missing a trick here, given how many registered key card users there are. In addition to the paper consultations distributed along the route, I don't know why a token based survey link isn't sent out to every user with a home address in the area open for consultation? I'm all for things being done online, but I find it baffling how I could be sitting on a computer in Australia, and leave feedback on the Diamond services in Stanley.

I have mentioned it before, but I often get email updates from Tfl relating to the services (or areas) I use most often in London - including consultations.

I obviously don't live there and my postcode is 200 odd miles up the road, but they obviously manage their Oyster data in a way which ensures massive coverage.
I assume I have opted into something at some point. 
Is the pink on the solos actually Pink Panther pink?

[Image: 14736870963_bf97c1e676.jpg]457 (T457BCN) Durham D4 by Carlisle Bus Group, on Flickr
(19 Jul 2015, 10:11 pm)thetravelman wrote [ -> ]I must admit I'm not right up on which bus manufacturers are best or worse?

However am I right in thinking that a lot of you seem to like the older Wright Renowns but don't like the New Wright Streetlites?

Have Wright gone down market over the years? 

Also, with the current Wright StreetDeck Demo, reading comments on here from alot of you.. its doesn't seem to score many points!

How does the Wright Gemini's currently used on service TEN & Angel services etc , compare with the new Streetdeck ?

Do you like the Wright Gemini's or dislike them the same as the New Streetdeck demo?

I've not sampled the new demo's.... however my thinking would be that you need a good comfortable bus that can stand the test of time, especially on longer distance routes, such as the Pronto services X21 Newcastle to Bishop Auckland !

Based on that fact, and comments previously discussed on here.... why have GNE not upgraded the buses on Pronto X21 earlier?

Cheers.

(19 Jul 2015, 10:16 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]Volvo Gemini's or Gemini's as you say in your post are 1 trillion times better than the Streetdeck, Comfort and Capable wise

At the time the X21 started ( 2011 ) when the Volvo B7s came from London, This route was brand new and so didn't require Brand New Vehicles but now that GNE have seen enough passenger growth to warrant new Double Deckers that's why there demonstrating the two vehicles at the moment.

There also demonstrating to see which vehicle to buy from now until the end of Euro 6.

Ah, right... I see.... so as this service has proved & established itself since 2011, it is obviously now viable for GNE to invest in and receive New buses.
Where as previously it only received second hand vehicles, whilst GNE assessed its demand and profitability.

If the Streetdeck Demo, is not going to be well liked or even suitable for the job....

Obviously GNE could consider an order for the E400 - which seems to be well liked at the mo.

Are you still able to to purchase new - Volvo B9TL Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 - since they seem to be up to the job and well liked.
Are the Volvo Geminis better though? GNE had the B5TL on loan last year, used it on both the X21 and ToonLink, and decided to hunt own some B9TLs instead!
(20 Jul 2015, 8:54 pm)thetravelman wrote [ -> ]Are you still able to to purchase new - Volvo B9TL Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 - since they seem to be up to the job and well liked.

The simple answer is no. You can (or could) however, purchase some out of dealer stock which is what GNE did for the Red Kite B9TLs and ANE did for the MAX X93 B9TLs. Unsure of how many are left.
(20 Jul 2015, 8:57 pm)S813 FVK wrote [ -> ]The simple answer is no. You can (or could) however, purchase some out of dealer stock which is what GNE did for the Red Kite B9TLs and ANE did for the MAX X93 B9TLs. Unsure of how many are left.

I *think* they've all now gone - East Yorkshire are awaiting what I expect are the last 3.
(20 Jul 2015, 8:54 pm)thetravelman wrote [ -> ]Ah, right... I see.... so as this service has proved & established itself since 2011, it is obviously now viable for GNE to invest in and receive New buses.
Where as previously it only received second hand vehicles, whilst GNE assessed its demand and profitability.

If the Streetdeck Demo, is not going to be well liked or even suitable for the job....

Obviously GNE could consider an order for the E400 - which seems to be well liked at the mo.

Are you still able to to purchase new - Volvo B9TL Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 - since they seem to be up to the job and well liked.

I have just looked at WrightBus website and to answer my own question... it is now a Gemini 3 on a Volvo B5TL chassis (Euro 6) - Volvo D5K 4 cylinder, ERG Common rail, 5.1 litre with reduced emissions.

Similar to the Daimler engine within the StreetDeck, so I presume this may not be best for performance or long life either, unless the Volvo engine would be better than Daimler of course.
(20 Jul 2015, 8:57 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Are the Volvo Geminis better though? GNE had the B5TL on loan last year, used it on both the X21 and ToonLink, and decided to hunt own some B9TLs instead!

(20 Jul 2015, 8:57 pm)S813 FVK wrote [ -> ]The simple answer is no. You can (or could) however, purchase some out of dealer stock which is what GNE did for the Red Kite B9TLs and ANE did for the MAX X93 B9TLs. Unsure of how many are left.

(20 Jul 2015, 8:59 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]I *think* they've all now gone - East Yorkshire are awaiting what I expect are the last 3.

Thanks guys - I was busy typing up my last reply and submitted it before seeing your comments.

Is it just my lack of Knowledge or is there a lack of choice of buses on the market at the moment and what is New on the market seems to be more geared up for London and its green targets!
(20 Jul 2015, 4:55 pm)S813 FVK wrote [ -> ]Aye. Either that or they'll hang around for hours, we'll then start making comments about it and in their defence they'll say "well i was just on my way to [insert place name] and i got off the bus and was passing. I saw the bus, happened to have my camera on me (eventhough where i was going didn't involve taking photos) so stopped to get a shot of it"

Amazing how somebody who doesn't intend to go out and take photos of buses (or anything!) still bothers to take their camera with them.

That is actually the case for a lot of people though. I take my camera in my bag wherever I'm going, just incase something pops up. Take the other day when I was going to Gateshead Stadium to buy match tickets for someone, as I passed Saltmeadows the StreetDeck was there.
If GNE went to ADL for bodywork, they could either save money on fuel (ADL / Cummins E400MMC) or with a slightly higher fuel burn but not much more, Scania could entice GNE to buy the Scania Chassis / Powertrain combo on the E400MMC body with potentially a good discount after Scania not only let GNE down the with the parts shortage at Stanley, but also the fact that GNE chose the Citaro over the Omnicity.

Although GNE are loyal to Wrightbus, I wouldn't consider them to be bean counters and I don't think GNE would take a massive risk with a vehicle that could be very unreliable. OK, they did with the Streetlites however, there were MASSIVE incentives at stake (BSOG etc) and that alone was more than enough and to be fair, the Streetlites despite not being the best, if set up OK, are just fine. Even if the incentives were there with the Streetdeck, it's a totally different kettle of fish as not only is the complete bus is bigger and weighs more, a double decker could potentially be carrying anywhere in the region of 70-100 passengers.