North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(17 Jan 2014, 8:33 pm)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]I've always said that, they do lack character, but the comfort of them is fantastic, and I bet the passengers love them! Much prefer Arriva Gemini's, or the Olympians by far Big Grin

Those Olympians oozed character, even when new.
The ride was good and the engine had something about it.
The Geminis are good, solid buses (as long as they can stop the water ingress), but seem almost clinical.

The Olympians have that worn, used and dirty feel about them (just like Mrs Andreos1) these days, but still have character.
(17 Jan 2014, 8:37 pm)citaro5284 Wrote: [ -> ]What soul does a bus need Tongue

Lets not forget, they are bought for a purpose and that is what they are doing.

I wouldn't say the Geminis 2's are Soulless, I personally really like them, I would say the FAB 56 Batch would seem much faster than the older Batches on the Red Arrows etc.
To be fair, from a passenger point of view, I much prefer a quieter bus than a loud one.

Obviously my enthusiast opinions differ, but we should all see both sides.
(17 Jan 2014, 8:46 pm)andreos1 Wrote: [ -> ]The Olympians have that worn, used and dirty feel about them (just like Mrs Andreos1) these days, but still have character.

Hahaha this has just made my Day
The Olympians have that worn, used and dirty feel about them (just like Mrs Andreos1) these days, but still have character.
[/quote]

She will kill you for that status! Lmao
(17 Jan 2014, 1:40 pm)pdiddy Wrote: [ -> ]Isnt that bad enough..... people are noticing and starting to use Arrivas no 6

The X21's I've been on have been spot on all week and getting busier too, but that is on the bit North of Durham
(17 Jan 2014, 9:14 pm)busman101 Wrote: [ -> ]The X21's I've been on have been spot on all week and getting busier too, but that is on the bit North of Durham

citaro5284 mentioned there was only a few instances of lost mileage.

These breakdowns must be happening pretty close to depots or bus stations for replacements to be organised and no mileage lost.

I wonder if the same could be said about the Wear Tees Xpress?
(17 Jan 2014, 8:37 pm)citaro5284 Wrote: [ -> ]What soul does a bus need Tongue

Lets not forget, they are bought for a purpose and that is what they are doing.

Exactamundo - it's a bus, with lots of modern features that customers like and that we've had some great feedback from so far this week. Old Olympian's might be lovely from a gricer's perspective (me included), but from a customers perspective, it's a different kettle of fish
(17 Jan 2014, 9:19 pm)busman101 Wrote: [ -> ]Exactamundo - it's a bus, with lots of modern features that customers like and that we've had some great feedback from so far this week. Old Olympian's might be lovely from a gricer's perspective (me included), but from a customers perspective, it's a different kettle of fish

But that's what we are, 'gricers'.

Putting it into this analogy, a younger lass, with nice smooth curves, full of plastic - might look fantastic, but the ride isn't always what you expected.

The older woman, might be rough around the edges - but sounds fantastic and gives you an enjoyable ride, meaning every time you get off, you fail to be disappointed.
(17 Jan 2014, 9:30 pm)andreos1 Wrote: [ -> ]But that's what we are, 'gricers'.

Putting it into this analogy, a younger lass, with nice smooth curves, full of plastic - might look fantastic, but the ride isn't always what you expected.

The older woman, might be rough around the edges - but sounds fantastic and gives you an enjoyable ride, meaning every time you get off, you fail to be disappointed.

Dear oh deary me ! Back to Celebrity Big Brother for me !!!
(17 Jan 2014, 8:54 pm)Dan Wrote: [ -> ]To be fair, from a passenger point of view, I much prefer a quieter bus than a loud one.

As a retired vehicle engineer (with particular involvement with transmissions) I appreciate the sounds of old buses (the Bedford OB has an enduring sound like no other vehicle and is music to my ears), but it disturbs me as a passenger (as well as as a transmission engineer) when the transmission (either gearbox or rear axle) screams - they were never designed to be noisy (with the possible exception of Voith Rolleyes ).
8249 parked up in cls depot today, wonder if the 71 may get these?
(17 Jan 2014, 9:30 pm)andreos1 Wrote: [ -> ]But that's what we are, 'gricers'.

I could just imagine people walking round saying 'look at her, theres an Olympian if I ever saw one' or 'By god she is an SPD, she looks she's been round the block' or 'look at the features on that Streetlite'
(18 Jan 2014, 9:30 am)fozzovmurton Wrote: [ -> ]I could just imagine people walking round saying 'look at her, theres an Olympian if I ever saw one' or 'By god she is an SPD, she looks she's been round the block' or 'look at the features on that Streetlite'

The thing is, there will be people who say just that!
Maybe not the SPD like haha
(17 Jan 2014, 6:49 pm)Bazza Houston Wrote: [ -> ]would have gone but am at a Sunderland A.F.C match there at home to Southampton but if they were away i would have more than likely went

You could go before the match Baz ;-) might have a wander along myself later when am in the town
(18 Jan 2014, 9:49 am)andreos1 Wrote: [ -> ]The thing is, there will be people who say just that!
Maybe not the SPD like haha

The day I compare a woman to a bus will be the day you can blow my head off...

Now for the SPD comparison, she is just the local bike...the dirty slut who has been everywhere and nearly everybody has had a ride on it...had a couple of SPD's myself...

These days I prefer a Cadet or Scania, not the greatest lookers, but have some personality lmao
The yellow solar (cant remember fleet no.) has just gone flying up the A1, presumably for Hexham depot.
(18 Jan 2014, 12:26 pm)randomdude Wrote: [ -> ]The yellow solar (cant remember fleet no.) has just gone flying up the A1, presumably for Hexham depot.

Indeed 5210 has just recently left Deptford.

547 has also been transferred to Saltmeadows with 564 currently at Deptford for onward transfer to Peterlee.
(18 Jan 2014, 12:30 pm)Dan Wrote: [ -> ]Indeed 5210 has just recently left Deptford.

547 has also been transferred to Saltmeadows with 564 currently at Deptford for onward transfer to Peterlee.

Where do you get all of this info from Tongue
That's the main reason why I decided to turn to forums as well as the GNE website, I find all the nitty gritty parts get mentioned here long before they do on the GNE website.
(18 Jan 2014, 1:45 pm)northtynelinks2 Wrote: [ -> ]Where do you get all of this info from Tongue
That's the main reason why I decided to turn to forums as well as the GNE website, I find all the nitty gritty parts get mentioned here long before they do on the GNE website.

We've got eyes and ears all across the region! Wink

6090 is at today's promotional event again. The promotional team were all very happy to get in photographs and although I didn't get a chocolate bar, I still got a nice scratchcard!