North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here is a shot of 5390 and its new blind on Orbit this morning.
Not a fan really.
(22 Jan 2014, 5:54 pm)mattdw92 wrote [ -> ]Here is a shot of 8390 and its new blind on Orbit this morning.
Not a fan really.

It looks meh, maybe hard to see in the sun though!
(22 Jan 2014, 5:54 pm)mattdw92 wrote [ -> ]Here is a shot of 8390 and its new blind on Orbit this morning.
Not a fan really.

5390's blind looks much better after dark, and photographs really do not do it justice.
The trial is to do with the fact white on black apparently is better for those with sight disabilities. In my opinion, yellow is much more attention grabbing and piercing, unlike the white - especially when bright light hits the front in instances of full sun, which is true to Lothian's Tridents with white blinds. Surprised it got past the HO testing stage. We'll see Smile
I like it.

Still prefer blinds personally
(22 Jan 2014, 6:03 pm)mattdw92 wrote [ -> ]The trial is to do with the fact white on black apparently is better for those with sight disabilities. Yellow is much more attention grabbing and piercing, unlike the white - especially when bright light hits the front in instances of full sun, which is true to Lothian's Tridents with white blinds. Surprised it got past the HO testing stage.

If you are talking about HO as in Bensham, it is us who asked Hanover for it as we want to compare the amber LED's versus white (remember white on black is used in London now and Hanover have even provided a white LED blind to the Citaro K demonstrator). We do not use yellow LED's.

CatsFast101

(22 Jan 2014, 5:54 pm)mattdw92 wrote [ -> ]Here is a shot of 5390 and its new blind on Orbit this morning.
Not a fan really.

Oh I love it! Think that looks really good and it's more visible in night and things that's even better. I'm hoping that'll be rolled across GNE, personally.
On another note, GNE like coloured numbers is it as easy to colour the destination as I think that would be a nice idea too.
(22 Jan 2014, 6:03 pm)mattdw92 wrote [ -> ]The trial is to do with the fact white on black apparently is better for those with sight disabilities. In my opinion, yellow is much more attention grabbing and piercing, unlike the white - especially when bright light hits the front in instances of full sun, which is true to Lothian's Tridents with white blinds. Surprised it got past the HO testing stage.

The disability thing was interesting me.

Not sure how it effects/benefits those who are colour blind, but a number of people who are dyslexic, prefer colours (colours help stop the letters jumbling up).

http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/about-dysl...guide.html

•Use dark coloured text on a light (not white) background.
•Avoid green and red/pink as these are difficult for colour-blind individuals.
(22 Jan 2014, 6:06 pm)gtomlinson wrote [ -> ]I like it.

Still prefer blinds personally

Roller-blinds would be grand for us enthusiasts taking pictures, no LED refresh rates! It is something which I admire Lothian for doing, keeping with their traditions.

(22 Jan 2014, 6:11 pm)CatsFast101 wrote [ -> ]Oh I love it! Think that looks really good and it's more visible in night and things that's even better. I'm hoping that'll be rolled across GNE, personally.
On another note, GNE like coloured numbers is it as easy to colour the destination as I think that would be a nice idea too.

If the trail is successful, I assume it will be rolled out on all new buses. Be quite an expensive task to replace all existing Hanover blinds mind. Hanover warranty allows life-time care, but don't think they would swap blind type - normally just through fault only.

Note: front display has only been done
(22 Jan 2014, 6:14 pm)mattdw92 wrote [ -> ]Roller-blinds would be grand for us enthusiasts taking pictures, no LED refresh rates! It is something which I admire Lothian for doing, keeping with their traditions.

Exactly this. Often have to try and compensate with rapid fire. Smile
(22 Jan 2014, 6:14 pm)mattdw92 wrote [ -> ]If the trail is successful, I assume it will be rolled out on all new buses. Be quite an expensive task to replace all existing Hanover blinds mind. Hanover warranty allows life-time care, but don't think they would swap blind type - normally just through fault only.

Destination displays are pretty expensive, so yes only on new vehicles if we decide to buy them.
(22 Jan 2014, 6:21 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Destination displays are pretty expensive, so yes only on new vehicles if we decide to buy them.

Do they give a greater capacity to store route/destination data too? I'd assume the said data is growing and growing with the all the different styling per route...

Mscott349

(22 Jan 2014, 1:52 pm)CatsFast101 wrote [ -> ]It's at Saltmeadows for 27X. 547 has replaced 564 as the former is in company livery and then 564 can be used on East Durham services.

Any pictures?

547 was on the W3 today now that is rare.
(22 Jan 2014, 6:26 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Do they give a greater capacity to store route/destination data too? I'd assume the said data is growing and growing with the all the different styling per route...

The data is held with the in-cab controller, so it is irrelevant what type of signs the vehicle has to be honest. We tell the controller what signs are fitted to the vehicles (through profiling) and the system only downloads the data for the signs fitted to that particular vehicle into the controller. Much more high tech compared to a roller with a little handle Tongue
(22 Jan 2014, 6:26 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Do they give a greater capacity to store route/destination data too? I'd assume the said data is growing and growing with the all the different styling per route...

All to do with the physical controller in the cab. Not specifically the blind.

Edit: beat me too it citaro5284!

The newer Deric G3 that the newer buses on have 8MB memory, unlike the older Deric+'s which have 1MB.
Not sure how much this equates to in blind numbers!
(22 Jan 2014, 6:38 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]The data is held with the in-cab controller, so it is irrelevant what type of signs the vehicle has to be honest. We tell the controller what signs are fitted to the vehicles (through profiling) and the system only downloads the data for the signs fitted to that particular vehicle into the controller. Much more high tech compared to a roller with a little handle Tongue

Ahh a lot more technical than I thought. Cheers. Smile
(22 Jan 2014, 2:10 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I will try and get a better photograph tonight.

An after-dark photograph of 5390's new white LED display is shown on the link below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrahamm/12090367063/

I've also attached a photograph of the blind itself:
[Image: 12090057735_40ea572004_z.jpg]
(22 Jan 2014, 7:20 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]An after-dark photograph of 5390's new white LED display is shown on the link below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrahamm/12090367063/

It looks very clear in the dark, not quite the same in the office with the lights off!!
(17 Jan 2014, 4:35 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]3812 has been sold to Ensign Bus - as seen here.
3812 is now listed on the Ensign site.
Still I think roller blind would be much more easy to see...and more traditionalBig Grin