North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(23 Jan 2014, 5:33 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I think they are going to be? Was no room at Saltmeadows to hold 34 B9TLs though, so made sense to just put them out into service straight away.

Makes sense if that's the case. A good move too.
(23 Jan 2014, 5:33 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I think they are going to be? Was no room at Saltmeadows to hold 34 B9TLs though, so made sense to just put them out into service straight away.

Just to confirm, the Fab56 destinations will be changed also. It made sense to do the Cobalt Clippers first before they entered service.
Think gne doesn't care about the 5 rubbish route some times late rubbish buses think they need to look into this route also the buses they r ready for scap
(23 Jan 2014, 6:03 pm)speedwheels22 wrote [ -> ]Think gne doesn't care about the 5 rubbish route some times late rubbish buses think they need to look into this route also the buses they r ready for scap

They will 'care' but routes that make the most profit and have a high patronage will always come first. Just the nature of the beast.

I'm not familiar with the 5 route or its equipment but hopefully the continuing investment will see an increase in quality for you.

However it should be noted no matter how shiny the bus, how many announcements or if it has wifi...buses will still be late
5227 on X9 if no ones seen
(23 Jan 2014, 5:54 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Just to confirm, the Fab56 destinations will be changed also. It made sense to do the Cobalt Clippers first before they entered service.

I would take it they will done 1 by 1?
(23 Jan 2014, 6:03 pm)speedwheels22 wrote [ -> ]Think gne doesn't care about the 5 rubbish route some times late rubbish buses think they need to look into this route also the buses they r ready for scap

Could say that for most of the routes with rubbish buses... few examples - X7,17/17A/57/69/69A

CatsFast101

(23 Jan 2014, 6:21 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Could say that for most of the routes with rubbish buses... few examples - X7,17/17A/57/69/69A

Not forgetting East Durham, those MPD's are struggling.

If they didn't care about it they wouldn't run it. If it was hugely popular and made a ton of cash, then it would receive investment to improve it. They've bought over 100 buses, and also started 2014 off with investment. As a result buses are continuously being cascaded throughout the company.

It may be helpful, instead of just saying "it's crap", if you provided some constructive criticism.
(23 Jan 2014, 6:31 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]If they didn't care about it they wouldn't run it. If it was hugely popular and made a ton of cash, then it would receive investment to improve it. They've bought over 100 buses, and also started 2014 off with investment. As a result buses are continuously being cascaded throughout the company.

It may be helpful, instead of just saying "it's crap", if you provided some constructive criticism.

Indeed, some people only seem to come out with 'it's crap' and don't expand the argument. We have to also take into account the 5 is operated as part of the low-cost unit at Saltmeadows so that might also explain the older vehicles used on there.
indeed 5207 was on 26 managed a photo at Jarrow i saw it from 3866 which was on 9 managed to beat it to jarrow by 30 mins 6099 managed a shot at Houghton-le-Spring
(23 Jan 2014, 6:31 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]If they didn't care about it they wouldn't run it. If it was hugely popular and made a ton of cash, then it would receive investment to improve it. They've bought over 100 buses, and also started 2014 off with investment. As a result buses are continuously being cascaded throughout the company.

And let's not forget one of our Go North East insiders has already alluded that the early Cadets in the fleet are in line to be withdrawn at the end of this year when this year's arrivals enter service..!

8242-46 are amongst the eldest of Cadets in the fleet.
(23 Jan 2014, 6:41 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]And let's not forget one of our Go North East insiders has already alluded that the early Cadets in the fleet are in line to be withdrawn at the end of this year when this year's arrivals enter service..!

Must admit, I think people are over-exaggerating. I've never had any major problems with the ''South Tyne'' services, and every service will be late at some point.
(23 Jan 2014, 6:41 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]And let's not forget one of our Go North East insiders has already alluded that the early Cadets in the fleet are in line to be withdrawn at the end of this year when this year's arrivals enter service..!

Shame because i like the cadet's but it has to happen sometime...

Wonder when we will hear the first set of delivery dates...

Does anyone know if theirs going to be a Green Bus Fund - round 5 this year?

generally im not a fan of 8242 as that one felt like it was gonna breakdown when gateshead had it for 27 personally i like 8253 fast bus as anything
(23 Jan 2014, 6:34 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]Indeed, some people only seem to come out with 'it's crap' and don't expand the argument. We have to also take into account the 5 is operated as part of the low-cost unit at Saltmeadows so that might also explain the older vehicles used on there.

I think with regards the 5, while the Cadets are hardly brand new, they aren't that bad compared to the SPDs (I think) previously used on the 5. Despite Saltmeadows being a low cost unit, vehicle quality isn't actually that bad considering most of the vehicles (Solo SRs and Versas) are under 4 years old.
(23 Jan 2014, 6:57 pm)BJ10VUS wrote [ -> ]I think with regards the 5, while the Cadets are hardly brand new, they aren't that bad compared to the SPDs (I think) previously used on the 5. Despite Saltmeadows being a low cost unit, vehicle quality isn't actually that bad considering most of the vehicles (Solo SRs and Versas) are under 4 years old.

Solos and Versas purchased due to the contract specifications.

CatsFast101

I agree some people may be over exaggerating the cadets, I've always liked the cadets tbh, I think it was time for the 61 to be upgraded (they've had the cadets for years) and it's probably the time for the 5 to be upgraded too (cadets haven't been on there that long have they?). However as spares I'd love to see them stay a little longer really.
The old style interior I don't like very much and I didn't realise that 4922 still has old style interior.
(23 Jan 2014, 7:33 pm)CatsFast101 wrote [ -> ]I agree some people may be over exaggerating the cadets, I've always liked the cadets tbh, I think it was time for the 61 to be upgraded (they've had the cadets for years) and it's probably the time for the 5 to be upgraded too (cadets haven't been on there that long have they?). However as spares I'd love to see them stay a little longer really.
The old style interior I don't like very much and I didn't realise that 4922 still has old style interior.

The 5 became 'South Tyne 5' in early 2012, so approximately two years - it was around same time that the bendy buses came to the 58 and Citaros to the 27.
It's amazing to think that 7 years ago, the 309 was just a poxy little half hourly single decker route that required heavy subsidy of the Cobalt to keep operating. People didn't use it because "it went around the world". But despite the fact that Cobalt Business Park made funding cuts and the 19 fell foul of them, GNE have grown the 309 to become stronger and stronger over the years without over depending upon CBP. The changes they made back in November 2010 have certainly made a difference with a unified and strong corridor through Battle Hill supporting both services 309 and 310. GNE have grown the customer base in Cobalt and you even have people getting on in Newcastle stating destinations such as Foxhunters and Seaton Sluice. With the way Arriva's 308 is heading with it's poor timekeeping and reliability, the 309 is going to continue and grow in the long term. Arriva will have to explain to the Commissioner why the 308 can't keep to time and they will eventually have to increase the timetable by a couple of minutes therefore giving GNE the upper hand.. If GNE up the marketing on the 309 and with the new Volvo's, the 309 will grow to become one of GNE's major routes.