North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(29 Jan 2014, 7:38 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Ran by Stanley with 4847.

Thank's

For some reason i thought of Chester must be because they run the 28/28A
(29 Jan 2014, 4:56 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]All of the new B9TL vehicles are to receive full rear destination displays, with some of the Cobalt Clipper examples already having received them (citaro5284 shared a photograph a few pages ago).

6100 with full rear destination display is shown below:
[Image: 12210339163_13f5f3b0f9_z.jpg]
(29 Jan 2014, 4:16 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote [ -> ]News to me, As from what I recall from before Christmas it was Unconfirmed and I haven't seen or Read anything in regards to the X7 or X21 since as to whether they'd get the Citaros off the Cobalt Clipper, To be honest though in the Few Times I have used the X21 it's only been Busy between Newcastle and Durham, Onwards to Bishop Auckland I would say Passenger Numbers vary through the Day. I'm sure PDiddy could tell us whether the X21 requires Double Deckers or Not. Could always put 5337/38 on the X21 also at Peak Times to cope with Passenger Demand from Durham University.

It would need deckers perhaps 50% of the time... peak times
(29 Jan 2014, 9:37 pm)pdiddy wrote [ -> ]It would need deckers perhaps 50% of the time... peak times

Just like the Red Arrows then?
(29 Jan 2014, 4:41 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote [ -> ]A "Hint" isn't Confirmation though is it, Rob has merely again "Suggested" that the WTX will receive Citaros once the B9's have entered Service at Percy Main, which has been Suggested Numerous Times over past Few Months. I would say that is good example of an Answer not been Fully Given, which again leads to Members wondering Are They/Are They Not going on the Suggested Service.

I do apologize if it seems as though I'm been a Pain in the Backside about this and being Argumentative, I'm not, I'm simply giving my Opinion on the Matter.

Mercs deffo now NOT going on the X21 Pronto.... may get newer deckers later in the year
(29 Jan 2014, 9:42 pm)pdiddy wrote [ -> ]Mercs deffo now NOT going on the X21 Pronto.... may get newer deckers later in the year

Possibly, as I think it deserves something newer. Possibly some new Geminis?
Hybrids to the Pronto and the Angel to get an upgrade

(as likely as the Waggonway getting tri axle coaches with gold plated seats)
(29 Jan 2014, 10:29 pm)gtomlinson wrote [ -> ]Hybrids to the Pronto and the Angel to get an upgrade

(as likely as the Waggonway getting tri axle coaches with gold plated seats)

Crikey, Hybrids on the Pronto would be nee good - too much Motorway rustling to save much diesel.
I would of like to see mercs on pronto, probs they can be used for spares for 27 later on in the year update the brand
(29 Jan 2014, 10:42 pm)busman101 wrote [ -> ]Crikey, Hybrids on the Pronto would be nee good - too much Motorway rustling to save much diesel.

I'm an ideas guy haha

I just dislike the Hybrids but I take the point. If they tend to be VOR on the Angel they'd probably expire on the bypass
(29 Jan 2014, 10:51 pm)gtomlinson wrote [ -> ]I'm an ideas guy haha

I just dislike the Hybrids but I take the point. If they tend to be VOR on the Angel they'd probably expire on the bypass

I think the Question would be, What Double Decker Vehicle could replace the Hybrids on the 21, if it was indeed to happen, which I don't think will happen any time soon, Although if it did, GNE could send the Hybrids to Riverside to Replace the Citaros on the 27, which would be the most Logical Option in my opinion. As for the X21, Would the New B5 Gemini be able to cope with such a Demanding Route.
(29 Jan 2014, 11:04 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote [ -> ]I think the Question would be, What Double Decker Vehicle could replace the Hybrids on the 21, if it was indeed to happen, which I don't think will happen any time soon, Although if it did, GNE could send the Hybrids to Riverside to Replace the Citaros on the 27, which would be the most Logical Option in my opinion. As for the X21, Would the New B5 Gemini be able to cope with such a Demanding Route.

Non Hybrid B9's? They obviously didn't like the one they had on trial from EYMS (unless of course a rather nice wad of cash from the taxpayer encouraged them to go ahem 'green')

I acknowledge the Angel is a demanding route, slow and fast sections, constant stop start, idling in traffic, heavy loads etc and that no bus is perfect but I don't think GNE have EVER got it right with the Angel aside pre-Angel when the Presidents ran the 21

At the time the Solars worked well on the 21 - 24 Hour Service branding - but traffic has obviously massively increased and Durham Road has lost a lot of buses for the sake of the Angel and 'simplified routes'
(29 Jan 2014, 11:04 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote [ -> ]I think the Question would be, What Double Decker Vehicle could replace the Hybrids on the 21, if it was indeed to happen, which I don't think will happen any time soon, Although if it did, GNE could send the Hybrids to Riverside to Replace the Citaros on the 27, which would be the most Logical Option in my opinion. As for the X21, Would the New B5 Gemini be able to cope with such a Demanding Route.

Get it E400's then. They seem to cope on the X15/X18 well.
(30 Jan 2014, 7:48 am)Tom wrote [ -> ]Get it E400's then. They seem to cope on the X15/X18 well.

@Davey Bowyer... Any comment? Tongue
(30 Jan 2014, 12:55 am)gtomlinson wrote [ -> ]Non Hybrid B9's? They obviously didn't like the one they had on trial from EYMS (unless of course a rather nice wad of cash from the taxpayer encouraged them to go ahem 'green')

I acknowledge the Angel is a demanding route, slow and fast sections, constant stop start, idling in traffic, heavy loads etc and that no bus is perfect but I don't think GNE have EVER got it right with the Angel aside pre-Angel when the Presidents ran the 21

At the time the Solars worked well on the 21 - 24 Hour Service branding - but traffic has obviously massively increased and Durham Road has lost a lot of buses for the sake of the Angel and 'simplified routes'

Maybe it's time for a re-jig of routes, stopping places and services along Durham Road - rather than another taxpayer purchase of green buses, which only ensure three of the vehicles (see what I did there) stuck in the queues of traffic, aren't belching out fumes?

The hybrids haven't grown wings and don't make the traffic disappear.
Road improvements, attractive pricing and reliable alternatives to the car are amongst the only things that can help the traffic disappear.

However, as for new deckers, why not try the Optare decker with the Merc engine?
In the bus and coach magazine theirs abit about the new FAB 56 B9's
(30 Jan 2014, 9:44 am)andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Maybe it's time for a re-jig of routes, stopping places and services along Durham Road - rather than another taxpayer purchase of green buses, which only ensure three of the vehicles (see what I did there) stuck in the queues of traffic, aren't belching out fumes?

The hybrids haven't grown wings and don't make the traffic disappear.
Road improvements, attractive pricing and reliable alternatives to the car are amongst the only things that can help the traffic disappear.

However, as for new deckers, why not try the Optare decker with the Merc engine?

Very good!

I don't think GNE can do much more, the loadings on the Angel are good (but how much of that is down to lack of car ownership and concessionary is another debate) and the timetabled frequency can't be knocked (though its very rarely running at that frequency as you say due to other issues)

But the Angel is only going to get worse in terms of reliability. They've tried with the pointless Durham Road bus lane from Newcastle Bank through to Low Fell but the addition of another 2 sets of lights in Birtley won't help and might even drive more folk from longer distance to the X21 - not a bad thing.

I do sympathise but sometimes it is simply just easier to take the car and no amount of bus lanes etc will ever change that
(30 Jan 2014, 11:25 am)gtomlinson wrote [ -> ]Very good!

I don't think GNE can do much more, the loadings on the Angel are good (but how much of that is down to lack of car ownership and concessionary is another debate) and the timetabled frequency can't be knocked (though its very rarely running at that frequency as you say due to other issues)

But the Angel is only going to get worse in terms of reliability. They've tried with the pointless Durham Road bus lane from Newcastle Bank through to Low Fell but the addition of another 2 sets of lights in Birtley won't help and might even drive more folk from longer distance to the X21 - not a bad thing.

I do sympathise but sometimes it is simply just easier to take the car and no amount of bus lanes etc will ever change that

Lights outside St Josephs Church and Morrisons?

You are right, it isn't going to help and will only add to issues the service has with reliability.

Going back to the point regarding routes, services and stopping places - the impact of four sets of lights in Birtley alone, will be felt either side of the town.
Maybe loadings will increase on the x21 and the 1 & 51/52 (which can already struggle due to traffic).

Personally, I would concentrate on ensuring loadings increase on the latter 3 for Low Fell -Gateshead/Newcastle runs (maybe even adding additional local Gateshead services), whilst making the 21 a limited stop between the Harlow Green and Gateshead.

Bus lanes and endless amounts of the ever changing white paint, chucked about with abandon on the dualed section of Durham Road over the last 20years hasn't helped. Neither has the removal of footbridges or replacing them with crossings in Low Fell.

Maybe it is time GNE took some control back and used their own initiative, rather than rely on Gateshead Council to come up with ideas.
(30 Jan 2014, 8:01 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]@Davey Bowyer... Any comment? Tongue

Due to the nature of the 21, they'll struggle with the distance but should be OK with very regular maintenance.
(30 Jan 2014, 12:16 pm)andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Lights outside St Josephs Church and Morrisons?

You are right, it isn't going to help and will only add to issues the service has with reliability.

Going back to the point regarding routes, services and stopping places - the impact of four sets of lights in Birtley alone, will be felt either side of the town.
Maybe loadings will increase on the x21 and the 1 & 51/52 (which can already struggle due to traffic).

Personally, I would concentrate on ensuring loadings increase on the latter 3 for Low Fell -Gateshead/Newcastle runs (maybe even adding additional local Gateshead services), whilst making the 21 a limited stop between the Harlow Green and Gateshead.

Bus lanes and endless amounts of the ever changing white paint, chucked about with abandon on the dualed section of Durham Road over the last 20years hasn't helped. Neither has the removal of footbridges or replacing them with crossings in Low Fell.

Maybe it is time GNE took some control back and used their own initiative, rather than rely on Gateshead Council to come up with ideas.

Yes those are the lights in question, coupled with that awful 20mph zone

In its dying days the 723 was limited stop from Windsor Road then Jolly Miller, Cannon then Gateshead but I imagine GNE wouldn't go down that route again as much sense as it would make