North East Buses

Full Version: Stagecoach North East: Service Suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's not that long ago the X55 was ditched. Can't see Busways trying again
Isn't their a few services a day between Middlesbrough, Sunderland and Newcastle via Megabus. Can't see Stagecoach wanting to compete with themselves between M'bro and Newcaslte

The only express I could see working is something like Hartlepool - Seaham - Washington - Metrocentre - Newcastle
(03 Dec 2021, 11:12 am)V514DFT wrote [ -> ]I'd have leave the X24 the way it is,but have your route suggestion and number it X14,so you' have X14 X24,and X34

Personally could see a market for an all day version of the X24A but via Durham Road rather than Chester Road then non-stop to Doxy.  Would open up direct links to Newcastle for everyone along Durham Road and the likes of Plains Farm, Farringdon, Herrington (none of which are anywhere near the Metro so most likely drive to get to Newcastle rather than head the wrong way, into Sunderland, to get to Newcastle etc).  Obviously would need a better number than the messy looking X24A.
(03 Dec 2021, 7:35 am)54APhotography wrote [ -> ]The only suggestion I ever made to Stagecoach North East was routing a number of X24 via Washington Galleries. The route the drivers take from Hastings Hill to Gateshead is fluid and during the prolonged Testo's farce a good number used Penshaw, A1231, A195. As loadings are very erratic during the core day it might win them a bit of business, and be faster than the 2/2A

I know I've mentioned it on here before but once Downhill and IAMP are complete I'd route both the X24 and X34 along Follingsby Lane. It has potential of being an absolute gold mine. Providing a 15 minute service between Nissan / IAMP / Follingsby and Newcastle and every 30 minutes to .Sunderland / parts of South Shields It has the benefit of being the opposite flow at the peaks ie away from Newcastle in the morning into Newcastle in the evening.

There's definitely demand since the 4 has extra buses on now and both are very poorly connected (Nissan towards Newcastle and Amazon towards Sunderland).

At the same time I'd trial an hourly evening and Sunday service on the X34 for a cushion for the slightly extended route.

Washington is just out of area and pointless competition against the numerous buses already existing.
(03 Dec 2021, 7:18 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]I know I've mentioned it on here before but once Downhill and IAMP are complete I'd route both the X24 and X34 along Follingsby Lane. It has potential of being an absolute gold mine. Providing a 15 minute service between Nissan / IAMP / Follingsby and Newcastle and every 30 minutes to .Sunderland / parts of South Shields It has the benefit of being the opposite flow at the peaks ie away from Newcastle in the morning into Newcastle in the evening.

There's definitely demand since the 4 has extra buses on now and both are very poorly connected (Nissan towards Newcastle and Amazon towards Sunderland).

At the same time I'd trial an hourly evening and Sunday service on the X34 for a cushion for the slightly extended route.

Washington is just out of area and pointless competition against the numerous buses already existi
Are the remnants of Downhill Lane even capable of handling bus traffic? Follingsby Lane is little better than a farm road.
(03 Dec 2021, 8:48 pm)54APhotography wrote [ -> ]Are the remnants of Downhill Lane even capable of handling bus traffic? Follingsby Lane is little better than a farm road.

I believe there's plans to link the IAMP onto Follingsby Lane. Follingsby Lane got a grant a couple of year back for buses to run along it. It's all high quality now until the bridge where it just ends abruptly atm.

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/traf...ay-1350192

I know it's in the IAMP plans to connect to it for buses, https://www.iamp-public-consultation.co....8850e2.pdf - That's the latest early plan I believe.

https://goo.gl/maps/DVrXjBHgSRmozEAN6 - It's like that now throughout bar a small section which is single lane for 100 yds or so.
(03 Dec 2021, 9:33 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]I believe there's plans to link the IAMP onto Follingsby Lane. Follingsby Lane got a grant a couple of year back for buses to run along it. It's all high quality now until the bridge where it just ends abruptly atm.

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/traf...ay-1350192

I know it's in the IAMP plans to connect to it for buses and cycles only.

https://goo.gl/maps/DVrXjBHgSRmozEAN6 - It's like that now throughout bar a small section which is single lane for 100 yds or so.
I've cycled along it many times, whilst the road has been relaid I still doubt it's suitability. The bridge is also listed.
(03 Dec 2021, 9:40 pm)54APhotography wrote [ -> ]I've cycled along it many times, whilst the road has been relaid I still doubt it's suitability. The bridge is also listed.

I believe there's plans to ban cars along it outright so it will be only buses and cycles running along it.

I edited the post after to include the latest plans, they planning to build a new road that loops around avoiding the bridge - https://www.iamp-public-consultation.co....8850e2.pdf

It was 100% done for buses though, was done under this grant - https://northeastca.gov.uk/wp-content/up...ackage.pdf. Details are on Page 9.

The cities mentioned are Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough though, X9/X10 possibly aswell.
(03 Dec 2021, 10:02 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]I believe there's plans to ban cars along it outright so it will be only buses and cycles running along it.

I edited the post after to include the latest plans, they planning to build a new road that loops around avoiding the bridge - https://www.iamp-public-consultation.co....8850e2.pdf

It was 100% done for buses though, was done under this grant - https://northeastca.gov.uk/wp-content/up...ackage.pdf. Details are on Page 9.

The cities mentioned are Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough though, X9/X10 possibly aswell.
I note that is from almost three years ago, I'm personally not convinced about IAMP, one thing I have noticed the last two summers when photographing on the A1290 is numbers boarding the 50/56 are way down at the Nissan stops. Downhill Lane off the A1290 is now just a footpath. The jobs forecast when that document was printed never really bore fruit.
(04 Dec 2021, 8:23 am)54APhotography wrote [ -> ]I note that is from almost three years ago, I'm personally not convinced about IAMP, one thing I have noticed the last two summers when photographing on the A1290 is numbers boarding the 50/56 are way down at the Nissan stops. Downhill Lane off the A1290 is now just a footpath. The jobs forecast when that document was printed never really bore fruit.

Yeah I know what you mean about IAMP, not sure what the plans were at this stage but I know they've just knocked down a farm house in the area and they say they're still going ahead with stage two - https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/poli...342650?amp

It's a bit of a white elephant atm must admit but hopefully it does well as it would be good for the area. I do think the X24/X34 would do alright, at peak times along there at least, simply for Amazon who are choking up the 4 atm. Imagine there'd be a few who would prefer direct buses to Sunderland / Newcastle rather than potentially doing Bus / Metro / Bus which isn't cheap.

Mind wonder if the 56 drop is because of the closure for Downhill and people deciding the alternative they used then was better and never returned.
(04 Dec 2021, 8:51 am)Storx wrote [ -> ]Yeah I know what you mean about IAMP, not sure what the plans were at this stage but I know they've just knocked down a farm house in the area and they say they're still going ahead with stage two - https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/poli...342650?amp

It's a bit of a white elephant atm must admit but hopefully it does well as it would be good for the area. I do think the X24/X34 would do alright, at peak times along there at least, simply for Amazon who are choking up the 4 atm. Imagine there'd be a few who would prefer direct buses to Sunderland / Newcastle rather than potentially doing Bus / Metro / Bus which isn't cheap.

Mind wonder if the 56 drop is because of the closure for Downhill and people deciding the alternative they used then was better and never returned.
If Stagecoach fancy it, it would be good for them to pinch some Amazon traffic. Downhill Lane up to West Boldon is lost I think, the 50 won't regain pax imho. I think a lot who work up there use cars now, see a lot of car sharing going on, and a lot who lot their jobs elsewhere got work there and all drive.
(03 Dec 2021, 11:43 am)logidoodah wrote [ -> ]See I'd have the X24/A to Sunderland, X34 to South Shields (leave them the way they are) and then have the X44 to Hartlepool, and Incorporate this into GNE X9/X10 or make it X54. This ensures that Stagecoach have an express service to each place they have presence as this ensures people stay with them, and also that they link to their biggest territory in the NE. 
Maybe even try to battle Arriva in Sunderland - Hartlepool where GNE retreated from

So then you'd have 
685 - Newcastle - Carisle
X24/A - Newcastle - Sunderland
X34 - Newcastle - South Shields
X44 - Newcastle - Hartlepool - Middlesborough
X54 - Newcastle - Dalton Park - Peterlee - Middlesborough
Didn't they try the latter one and X44 with X55?
I think it's the constant works that are causing the problem with the 56 and 50 along there. The diversion is constantly changing almost nightly, so much so that I can never tell passengers what it's going to be like one night to the next. It's quite frustrating knowing how many potential passengers these works are putting off, considering Nissan is one of the busiest sections of the 56 on an evening. When the Downhill Lane interchange is finished it might start to pick up again, hopefully.
Are Stagecoach North East going to be cutting back any services?

Suggestions for Newcastle and North Tyneside:

8 run along Springfield Road instead of Blakelaw Road in Blakelaw, with the Phoenix 808 running along Ponteland Road instead. Peter Hogg 131 diverted off Ponteland Road onto Springfield Road as it serves Central Station the same as the 8.

12 and 22 swap routes in Byker, run Wallsend 12 as 13 and extend it Fenham - West Denton

18 withdrawn. New GNE service perhaps, with some changes.

Scrap 32/32A and run 84/84A instead West Denton - Slatyford - Fenham - Newcastle - Benwell - Cowgate - Kenton.

62/63 curtailed in the city centre, with X62/X63 running South Gosforth - Killingworth. 62/63 Chapel House and North Walbottle to City Centre. Killingworth has too many buses!

74 taken on to compliment the 71/72 and 685.

Any ideas?
(16 Dec 2021, 3:50 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote [ -> ]Are Stagecoach North East going to be cutting back any services?

8 run along Springfield Road instead of Blakelaw Road in Blakelaw, with the Phoenix 808 running along Ponteland Road instead. Peter Hogg 131 diverted off Ponteland Road onto Springfield Road as it serves Central Station the same as the 8.

12 and 22 swap routes in Byker, run Wallsend 12 as 13 and extend it Fenham - West Denton

Scrap 32/32A and run 84/84A instead West Denton - Slatyford - Fenham - Newcastle - Benwell - Cowgate - Kenton.

62/63 curtailed in the city centre, with X62/X63 running South Gosforth - Killingworth. 62/63 Chapel House and North Walbottle to City Centre. Killingworth has too many buses!

Any ideas?
Hate to be blunt but none of those would work or go down well with customer
8-i dont see the point in it really,it only runs a few journeys a day,
12-you cant really swap it with the 22 at Byker as the 22 is a popular service to the Cobalt,and the 12 does that 1 way circuit in Wallsend,another thing for the 12 is why renumber it 13?,its been the 12 for years even when it used to run to Four Lane Ends in the days of PTE,you could also just extend the 12 to West Denton instead of the 13 you suggested
18-i kind of see your point with this one,but you've got Longbenton High School to  think about,you cant exactly route the 63 down there as that struggles with time keeping at the best of times
22-as stated above,see the 12
32/32A-is needed as it replaced the 15/15A,so you'd be doing more harm than good with that one
62/63-the best thing to do with that is have a service that can take the pressure off,a 64  has been suggested a few times,and not sure why you think they have too many buses in Killingworth,Stagecoach only run 3 services,and you have to remember,the 62 does West Bailey and the 63 does East Bailey,theyre local stopping services that provide alot of vital links to people
74-Stagecoach used to run a 74,not sure if its the same 74 that GNE now run
(16 Dec 2021, 7:14 pm)V514DFT wrote [ -> ]Hate to be blunt but none of those would work or go down well with customer
8-i dont see the point in it really,it only runs a few journeys a day,
12-you cant really swap it with the 22 at Byker as the 22 is a popular service to the Cobalt,and the 12 does that 1 way circuit in Wallsend,another thing for the 12 is why renumber it 13?,its been the 12 for years even when it used to run to Four Lane Ends in the days of PTE,you could also just extend the 12 to West Denton instead of the 13 you suggested
18-i kind of see your point with this one,but you've got Longbenton High School to  think about,you cant exactly route the 63 down there as that struggles with time keeping at the best of times
22-as stated above,see the 12
32/32A-is needed as it replaced the 15/15A,so you'd be doing more harm than good with that one
62/63-the best thing to do with that is have a service that can take the pressure off,a 64  has been suggested a few times,and not sure why you think they have too many buses in Killingworth,Stagecoach only run 3 services,and you have to remember,the 62 does West Bailey and the 63 does East Bailey,theyre local stopping services that provide alot of vital links to people
74-Stagecoach used to run a 74,not sure if its the same 74 that GNE now run

8 - does seem to be a pointless service, but could be more useful if taking a different route. Springfield Road in particular has the 808 once a day, whereas Blakelaw Road has about 7 services in total. 32 runs along Springfield Road once in the morning but isn't really established. 

12 is confusing having Walker and Wallsend variations, and shorter ones to Scrogg Road. 12/13 makes sense and 13 could merge with the Nexus 13.

18 - New GNE service could replace this Walker - Four Lane Ends with some changes. Coaster 1 isn't the best with the StreetLites and Solos are fine on the 18 as its usually not that busy

22 - Byker Metro etc, 12 route to Wallsend then 22 route to Cobalt. 12 straight up Shields Road to Walker. 

32/32A - Local trips require the service, but not much demand and could do with a rethink and renumber as its not much like the 30/31, 33/33A, 35, 38/38A or 39. Is the 38A commercial or secured?

Killingworth - there is the 42/42A, 53, 54, 62, 63, K1/K2 and X63. Yesterday I was getting the 42A one stop from Southgate to Killingworth Bus Station and in 10 minutes had about 5 or 6 buses ahead of the 42A.

74 - Stagecoach ran a 74 from Newcastle to Callerton at some point and I think Stagecoach having the 74 would be a good idea for a number of reasons. GNE should run the X77 as service 77.
(16 Dec 2021, 9:10 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote [ -> ]8 - does seem to be a pointless service, but could be more useful if taking a different route. Springfield Road in particular has the 808 once a day, whereas Blakelaw Road has about 7 services in total. 32 runs along Springfield Road once in the morning but isn't really established. 

12 is confusing having Walker and Wallsend variations, and shorter ones to Scrogg Road. 12/13 makes sense and 13 could merge with the Nexus 13.

18 - New GNE service could replace this Walker - Four Lane Ends with some changes. Coaster 1 isn't the best with the StreetLites and Solos are fine on the 18 as its usually not that busy

22 - Byker Metro etc, 12 route to Wallsend then 22 route to Cobalt. 12 straight up Shields Road to Walker. 

32/32A - Local trips require the service, but not much demand and could do with a rethink and renumber as its not much like the 30/31, 33/33A, 35, 38/38A or 39. Is the 38A commercial or secured?

Killingworth - there is the 42/42A, 53, 54, 62, 63, K1/K2 and X63. Yesterday I was getting the 42A one stop from Southgate to Killingworth Bus Station and in 10 minutes had about 5 or 6 buses ahead of the 42A.

74 - Stagecoach ran a 74 from Newcastle to Callerton at some point and I think Stagecoach having the 74 would be a good idea for a number of reasons. GNE should run the X77 as service 77.

With regards to Springfield Road since Arriva withdrew the 9X has been left without a bus. I don’t see why the 32/32A can’t operate via Springfield Road & Stamfordham Road instead of Ponteland Road which, already has numerous buses anyway. I have suggested to Stagecoach a few times but they don’t seem to be interested.

10/11 could operate a loop around Kenton Bar and North Kenton providing a more direct service to the City Centre than the 32 for example Kenton Lane, Kenton Bar Estate, North Kenton, Halewood Avenue Shops.
(16 Dec 2021, 3:50 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote [ -> ]Are Stagecoach North East going to be cutting back any services?

Any ideas?

If you look at the routes serving Killingworth, they mainly come from different directions taking people to the shops beside the bus station. The route between the bus station and West Moor is served by a lot of these routes but then branch off in different directions to serve different areas. Which routes would serve Chillingham Road if the 62/63 were curtailed in the City Centre, a very frequent service to nothing at all?

Any ideas?

Silly suggestion with the 62/63, it's one of Stagecoach's flagship routes, if not the flagship route after the 39/40.

One thing I would suggest is doing:
62 - Every 20 Minutes
63 - Every 20 Minutes
64 - Every 20 Minutes, Quorum - direct to Four Lane Ends - Newcastle - 36 bus route - 30/31 Route to Whickham View
30 - Current Route
31 - Terminate at Whickham View

This would provide direct links to the RVI from more areas, a quick bus to Quorum which could replace the 555 and increase the number of buses through the core section to 9 buses an hour but reduce the buses in the quieter sections down to 6 buses an hour which is more than enough especially around Killingworth.
(18 Dec 2021, 7:13 am)Coastliner700 wrote [ -> ]With regards to Springfield Road since Arriva withdrew the 9X has been left without a bus. I don’t see why the 32/32A can’t operate via Springfield Road & Stamfordham Road instead of Ponteland Road which, already has numerous buses anyway. I have suggested to Stagecoach a few times but they don’t seem to be interested.

10/11 could operate a loop around Kenton Bar and North Kenton providing a more direct service to the City Centre than the 32 for example Kenton Lane, Kenton Bar Estate, North Kenton, Halewood Avenue Shops.

It's a shame Arriva withdrew the 9X. The 32 does operate along Springfield Road towards Walker for an early morning trip Monday to Friday. Did the 808 always run along Springfield Road? Remember the 9X very well.

Stagecoach don't seem to change anything much really. At least Springfield Road has buses at Ponteland Road and Stamfordham Road, but as Not in Service buses run along there it makes sense to give it a service.

Be nice to see the 808 run more frequently and perhaps extended to Wallsend.