North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(10 Mar 2016, 8:02 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]Castles in the air with GNE
http://www.route-one.net/industry/castle...-with-gne/

The article also confirms that the next deliveries will be five buses for Go North East's "Tynedale Links" service in Hexham, followed by new vehicles for the "North Tyne Links" services. The article confirms that the new vehicles for "North Tyne Links" will carry the same livery and branding as the "indiGo" Optare Solos at Peterlee. Then, "Prince Bishops" will receive brand new Wright Streetlites, and this will be followed by some new coaches for National Express.

A small except in the article discusses the Next Stop Announcements, and how Emma Hignett will be voicing other routes later this year. This will currently include all new deliveries (excluding Tynedale Links, which won't feature Next Stop Announcements); AD122; Venture; TEN, Red Kite, and the Fab Fifty Six.
Can't believe that the Indigo is being done on the new Solos again, its a terrible brand.
(10 Mar 2016, 12:31 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote [ -> ]Point proved: X21 having 20+ minute delays this morning due to roadworks at Low Fell which now can't be avoided.
If it didn't have to stop it could use Old Durham Road.
(10 Mar 2016, 1:00 pm)LeeCalder wrote [ -> ]Reports that 3859 has caught fire in Wallsend...

(10 Mar 2016, 2:42 pm)GMitchelhill wrote [ -> ]I for one quite like the Indigo brand, it's quite a snappy brand I think.

Yes 3859 did indeed combust in Simonside Avenue just a mere stonesthrow away from where I live. Unfortuantley I was asleep til just before 1pm so I missed out getting some photos. All that remains is the clean up stuff that is used to mop up the oil and diesel.

Pity about 3859 was thinking of photoing it yesterday when it was on the 40/41/80. Also noticed how stupid the rear blind looked on it, well that is that problem solved anyway lol.
Gutted that 3859 is gone, it was a beast.
(10 Mar 2016, 11:42 am)Greg in Weardale wrote [ -> ]Disappointed that the pointless IndiGo brand is being expanded to cover North Tyne Links - and the colour is vile anyway. However Hexham Solo livery looks good. And I enjoyed my first ride on Castles Streetdeck, much better than the silver demo; powerful enough, but ridiculously limited to 50mph. Can't understand why it needs to stop at Low Fell Cannon though - it prevents using alternative routes.

I agree with Greg here, some good points raised.
My only issue with IndiGo being used on the current North Tyne Links services is that it is already used in Peterlee and now it seems that the exact same brand is going to be used in another area, I know Arriva does the same with MAX and Sapphire but for Go North East to do this, it just doesn't seem right as for ages it's been one brand for each group of services, it was not the best when they started reusing designs like the Drifter and Coaster carrying similar liveries and the same for the Tynedale Xpress and Citylink.
(10 Mar 2016, 4:16 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]My only issue with IndiGo being used on the current North Tyne Links services is that it is already used in Peterlee and now it seems that the exact same brand is going to be used in another area, I know Arriva does the same with MAX and Sapphire but for Go North East to do this, it just doesn't seem right as for ages it's been one brand for each group of services, it was not the best when they started reusing designs like the Drifter and Coaster carrying similar liveries and the same for the Tynedale Xpress and Citylink.

I'd have preferred to see a different brand used, but don't think it's going to be a major issue...

How many passengers from North Tyneside are going to use the indiGo services in Peterlee? Really, the services are local networks and there aren't going to be many passengers who use both sets of services at all.

The pink base livery is striking, and in an area with competing services, the operator needs its buses to stand out. I said the same for Peterlee, and I think the same can be applied here too.

The only potential problem, at least in my opinion, will be on the company's website. I don't know how they plan to differentiate between the indiGo logo for Peterlee, and the indiGo logo for North Tyneside.
(10 Mar 2016, 4:27 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I'd have preferred to see a different brand used, but don't think it's going to be a major issue...

How many passengers from North Tyneside are going to use the indiGo services in Peterlee? Really, the services are local networks and there aren't going to be many passengers who use both sets of services at all.

The pink base livery is striking, and in an area with competing services, the operator needs its buses to stand out. I said the same for Peterlee, and I think the same can be applied here too.

The only potential problem, at least in my opinion, will be on the company's website. I don't know how they plan to differentiate between the indiGo logo for Peterlee, and the indiGo logo for North Tyneside.

That is probably the only major problem with replicating the IndiGo brand on Tyneside, judging by the fact that the base colour is the same as the Solo's at Peterlee, I'm guessing that the branding will look pretty similar on the Percy Main based Solo's, with the destinations on the branding being changed obviously, so because of this I can see the Tyneside IndiGo services being placed on the same page as the Peterlee IndiGo services which is not a major issue but it may be a little annoying having all the Peterlee services being shown below the services on Tyneside for if someone wants the 265 timetable for example.
The Castles Express livery is very nice! I've never been one on yet as I haven't been on a outing for ages but hopefully I will sometime.

With regards to the indiGo in North Tyneside I can't see a problem with it really - I like the brand overall, and passengers will see it as an improvement compared to the current MPDs. As well as this the 22 now goes to Cobalt so it'll need to compete with it. Do we know if the indiGo solos are going to be fitted with WiFi?

The Hexham solos are great too - and great to see the AD122 getting a proper brand looks very smart. NSAs are a big bonus too.
(10 Mar 2016, 4:52 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]The Castles Express livery is very nice! I've never been one on yet as I haven't been on a outing for ages but hopefully I will sometime.

With regards to the indiGo in North Tyneside I can't see a problem with it really - I like the brand overall, and passengers will see it as an improvement compared to the current MPDs. As well as this the 22 now goes to Cobalt so it'll need to compete with it. Do we know if the indiGo solos are going to be fitted with WiFi?

The Hexham solos are great too - and great to see the AD122 getting a proper brand looks very smart. NSAs are a big bonus too.

Hello, stranger!

All new vehicles will be fitted with Wi-Fi as standard.
(10 Mar 2016, 4:54 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Hello, stranger!

All new vehicles will be fitted with Wi-Fi as standard.

Haha Smile

Cheers! I wasn't sure as the indiGo ones weren't originally fitted.
South Tyne Optare Versa 8294 has gained its first rear advert, Advertising for " Wellkid " Vitamins.
(10 Mar 2016, 4:52 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]The Castles Express livery is very nice! I've never been one on yet as I haven't been on a outing for ages but hopefully I will sometime.

Good to see you back online Tom!
The Streetdeck's are actually nice vehicles. I like the livery.
(10 Mar 2016, 5:04 pm)Davie wrote [ -> ]Good to see you back online Tom!
The Streetdeck's are actually nice vehicles. I like the livery.

Thanks Davie! I'll have to try them sometime, they look very smart and I like the tables as well.
The thing is North Tyne Links (Prev. Wallsend Links) is at the same stage at what the East Durham Brand was. The brand is now stale and associated will old clapped out MPDs that are over 10 years old. The route needs at fresh image (and it isn't because of Stagecoach Competition with the 22 as non of the North Tyneside Links are majorly effected by it, and before you say the 80 between Cobalt and Wallsend, the 80 goes a more in direct route anyway and Cobalt paid for the 22 to be extended). The only downside to Indigo North Tyneside is that the routes aren't as widespread in my opinion as Indigo East Durham, so photographic variation maybe a bit more limited unless there are plans to revamp the North Tyneside local services (doubt it).
(10 Mar 2016, 3:58 pm)DanPicken wrote [ -> ]Can't believe that the Indigo is being done on the new Solos again, its a terrible brand.
If it didn't have to stop it could use Old Durham Road.

Gutted that 3859 is gone, it was a beast.

Old Durham road is a massive detour. More usual for it to turn up kellsvlane, then down dryden road, emerging back onto Durham road at the fire station/ gym/ what was the Springfield hotel many moons ago.
I can tell you now the Streetdeck buses (not streetdeckers eh Citaro5284) have performed very very well so far.

Monday all 7 ran all day without a problem

Tuesday 2 were taken off for around an hour each for Wrights to check something, also 6038 did one run whilst Wright did a minor repair at Crook

Weds All 7 ran all without any problems

Today All 7 have ran all day without problem.

The timetable is much much better and 99 percent of buses have done the round trip and arrived back in Bishop on time.

The heating is very good and everything is working on the buses as it should and drivers are very happy.

I can tell you now (Fact) NONE of them have broken down

The only downside is we would like them to do 56mph not 50mph.

As for 6035 , Bradley towed it from Crook direct to Saltys on Wednesday morning with gearbox probs.

All in all I think the company have got it just right for the X21 this time round
Why is indigo a terrible brand though? I take it that this comment is being thrown about, having an in-depth knowledge of service performance, both before and after implementation in East Durham? I don't know how it can be said a brand is terrible otherwise.

You may not like the packaging (or livery!), but the brand is the entire model from top to bottom. Services, fare structure, features and packaging.
(10 Mar 2016, 7:30 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]Why is indigo a terrible brand though? I take it that this comment is being thrown about, having an in-depth knowledge of service performance, both before and after implementation in East Durham? I don't know how it can be said a brand is terrible otherwise.

You may not like the packaging (or livery!), but the brand is the entire model from top to bottom. Services, fare structure, features and packaging.

Because it isn't indigo!!!

I don't think think there's anything wrong with it, something bright and striking was needed after the image of shabby looking yellow MPD's where many of them didn't even carry East Durham branding. I don't understand the massive outcry of enthusiasts stating how awful it is, don't get me wrong it's not the best branding but it does it's purpose of being route branded.
(10 Mar 2016, 5:48 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]Old Durham road is a massive detour. More usual for it to turn up kellsvlane, then down dryden road, emerging back onto Durham road at the fire station/ gym/ what was the Springfield hotel many moons ago.

I saw an X21 taking the Old Durham Road route just before the changes.
I Imagine coming down Fell Bank would be a lot easier than heading up it for those Presidents.
(10 Mar 2016, 7:37 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Because it isn't indigo!!!

I don't think think there's anything wrong with it, something bright and striking was needed after the image of shabby looking yellow MPD's where many of them didn't even carry East Durham branding. I don't understand the massive outcry of enthusiasts stating how awful it is, don't get me wrong it's not the best branding but it does it's purpose of being route branded.

But the outline of the logo is... It's not as if there's not a single thing on that bus which is indigo in colour?

Never understood why some enthusiasts are so hung up on the colour, when there's more to the brand than that.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128789124@...otostream/ Looking closely at the picture it doesn't look like the seats are Esteban Civics, it looks like a different seat type.
I could be wrong but can anyone confirm the seat type?