North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(12 Mar 2016, 5:55 pm)thetravelman wrote [ -> ]Yea I agree, Merc Citaros would be good for the Tynedale Xpress.

Were these Mercs the ones that started on the TEN?
(12 Mar 2016, 6:27 pm)G-CPTN wrote [ -> ]Were these Mercs the ones that started on the TEN?

No - the ones previously used on the Silver Arrows (and now the 61)
(12 Mar 2016, 5:55 pm)thetravelman wrote [ -> ]Yea I agree, Merc Citaros would be good for the Tynedale Xpress.

Gne is keeping them for the 61 as a brand had been decided but not yet released it I think

(12 Mar 2016, 6:27 pm)G-CPTN wrote [ -> ]Were these Mercs the ones that started on the TEN?

Crusader 27

(12 Mar 2016, 6:32 pm)Ryan99 wrote [ -> ]Gne is keeping them for the 61 as a brand had been decided but not yet released it I think

(12 Mar 2016, 6:32 pm)Ryan99 wrote [ -> ]Gne is keeping them for the 61 as a brand had been decided but not yet released it I think

Crusader 27

They are 58 reg and were on X1 originally then transferred onto X3 before its demise. They then served on the 2A/2C?? Before going onto 61.

Only 08 and 10 reg were on the 10/27
(12 Mar 2016, 6:56 pm)JP6004 wrote [ -> ]They are 58 reg and were on X1 originally then transferred onto X3 before its demise. They then served on the 2A/2C?? Before going onto 61.

5320 - 5324 were new to Washington for services 2A/2C. The operation of services 2A/2C transferred to Deptford in May 2012, so 5320 - 5324 transferred to Deptford, where they have remained allocated since. As part of service changes in January 2015, they were re-allocated to service 61, and have not yet gained branding for this service.

The 58-reg examples you're thinking of are 5325 - 5327, which were new to Washington for the Red Arrows X1 (seeing allocation alongside 5275 - 5283 at the time). They transferred to Deptford in April 2011 when the Red Arrows X1 gained some new Volvo B9s, and were allocated to the X3 service. The Silver Arrows 2A/2C services were upgraded to every 10 minutes (requiring 3 extra buses), so they were repainted silver in April 2012. The X3 service was allocated ex-Highwayman Volvo B10BLEs - some remained green for a period of time before being repainted red. The same service changes in January 2015 which saw 5320 - 5324 re-allocated to service 61 saw 5325 - 5327 re-allocated to services 35/36, under the "See it, Do it, Sunderland" brand.
(12 Mar 2016, 7:03 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]5320 - 5324 were new to Washington for services 2A/2C. The operation of services 2A/2C transferred to Deptford in May 2012, so 5320 - 5324 transferred to Deptford, where they have remained allocated since. As part of service changes in January 2014, they were re-allocated to service 61, and have not yet gained branding for this service.

The 58-reg examples you're thinking of are 5325 - 5327, which were new to Washington for the Red Arrows X1 (seeing allocation alongside 5275 - 5283 at the time). They transferred to Deptford in April 2011 when the Red Arrows X1 gained some new Volvo B9s, and were allocated to the X3 service. The Silver Arrows 2A/2C services were upgraded to every 10 minutes (requiring 3 extra buses), so they were repainted silver in April 2012. The X3 service was allocated ex-Highwayman Volvo B10BLEs - some remained green for a period of time before being repainted red. The same service changes in January 2014 which saw 5320 - 5324 re-allocated to service 61 saw 5325 - 5327 re-allocated to services 35/36, under the "See it, Do it, Sunderland" brand.

Was almost there Wink still think they be better used on Tynedale Xpress or Waggonway  Big Grin
(11 Mar 2016, 6:25 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I'm not 100%, but I would imagine that it will stay the same.

One board on the 688 service runs onto scholars service 141, which requires seatbelts, so MPD 618 is allocated to this board at present. As this vehicle was refurbished specifically for this purpose, I cannot see this allocation being changed, but if 618 is VOR, one of the new Optare Solos will be allocated in its place, to fulfil the contractual requirement of seatbelts on the 141 service.

In my opinion; it would make sense to allocate three of the five new Solos to the boards on service 74, which interwork with service 686 and 687, as well as scholars 112, as these are the more 'long-distance' services which would benefit from improved reliability. One of these boards also runs onto service 688, so it would keep the seatbelt specification consistent on this service. I would then allocate one to services X81/681/185, as the new Optare Solos should be more reliable than the present MPD allocation, and another to service 682.

This would mean that an MPD would continue to be allocated to service 683, with two MPDs remaining as spares.

Think that the 74 is now stand alone and doesn't interwork with 686/687 anymore
(12 Mar 2016, 8:45 pm)westy3738 wrote [ -> ]Think that the 74 is now stand alone and doesn't interwork with 686/687 anymore

Bugger - is that a think or a know? Haha.

Me relying on boards from 31st Aug, that! Sad
Nice photos of buses in Hexham - G-CPTN,

I noticed in the row of 3 MPD's that there was a Volvo B7TL/East Lancs Vyking hiding behind them.

I know it was mentioned that these vehicles may see more use on the TEN group of services and I do notice them on a regular basis, but in reality how often are they used? Does this not downgrade the service a bit?

What is the reason for their regular allocation, I presume that there are not enough TEN branded Volvo B9TL Gemini's to go round?

Mind you I do quite like these buses, and I think they look smarter now that some of them have been repainted and branded in GNE corporate livery.
I don't get chance to use buses very often, however I did travel on a Vyking for the Sunderland Airshow last year and I must say that it was very smart and well kept inside. However when we left the Airshow we got on a Red Arrows - Volvo B9TL Gemini 2, this in comparison was quite shabby and seemed quite well worn.
Forgot to say earlier; but 8338 failed in Wrekenton earlier.
How's everyone finding the X21 after its first week? Used it a lot this week through commuting to Durham offices

Really enjoying the experience. Very comfortable, good legroom, not overly intrusive NSA (Hello Steve and Karen) It's certainly a very positive commute. I even altered my work hours to catch the streetdecks!

My only disappointment is the unnecessary low fell diversion. Surely the 1,21,29 and X12 already provide plenty of frequency.

Additionally, as noted by others in the outings thread. It's made me realise how rough and ready the Hybrids have become. Both under the bonnet and interior wise they are showing the signs of a well used bus. Guessing the additional amount of B7s, solars and tridents of late, they must be feeling it
(12 Mar 2016, 11:01 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]How's everyone finding the X21 after its first week? Used it a lot this week through commuting to Durham offices  

Really enjoying the experience. Very comfortable, good legroom, not overly intrusive NSA (Hello Steve and Karen) It's certainly a very positive commute. I even altered my work hours to catch the streetdecks!

My only disappointment is the unnecessary low fell diversion. Surely the 1,21,29  and X12 already provide plenty of frequency.

Additionally, as noted by others in the outings thread. It's made me realise how rough and ready the Hybrids have become. Both under the bonnet and interior wise they are showing the signs of a well used bus. Guessing the additional amount of B7s, solars and tridents of late, they must be feeling it

The hybrids are sounding and acting much older than they are. Heard one sounding pretty awful on Blackett street, yesterday and I remember 6060 having a lot of problems, back last summer. Problems as in the engine wouldn't even start!
(12 Mar 2016, 10:46 pm)Davie wrote [ -> ]Forgot to say earlier; but 8338 failed in Wrekenton earlier.

Could be worse, a Wear Tees Xpress Citaro broke down on the A19 earlier!
(12 Mar 2016, 11:08 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]The hybrids are sounding and acting much older than they are. Heard one sounding pretty awful on Blackett street, yesterday and I remember 6060 having a lot of problems, back last summer. Problems as in the engine wouldn't even start!

I had 6063 on Friday evening and I agree, it and the rest of them sound really rough and the seats need retrimming because the seats are getting filled on every journey.
Though due to the 15 Minute frequency at night and the N21 on Weekends, Most B5s get used all day from early morning till very late night and through the night -
Meaning the mileage on them will probs be a lot more than the TEN Branded B9s new at the same time.
(12 Mar 2016, 11:01 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]How's everyone finding the X21 after its first week? Used it a lot this week through commuting to Durham offices

My only disappointment is the unnecessary low fell diversion. Surely the 1,21,29 and X12 already provide plenty of frequency.

I'm very fond of them, I prefer them much more than the horrid B5's.
(12 Mar 2016, 11:14 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Could be worse, a Wear Tees Xpress Citaro broke down on the A19 earlier!
Suppose there's worse places to brake down.
(12 Mar 2016, 11:29 pm)Davie wrote [ -> ]I'm very fond of them, I prefer them much more than the horrid B5's.
Suppose there's worse places to brake down.

In the middle lane on the A19, maybe?

(Happened to me on a coach trip, wayyyyyy back in the late 80s. Coach just ground to a halt, somewhere around teesside - terrifying!))
(12 Mar 2016, 11:34 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]In the middle lane on the A19, maybe?

(Happened to me on a coach trip, wayyyyyy back in the late 80s. Coach just ground to a halt, somewhere around teesside - terrifying!))
Fortunately it was in a lay-by, still not ideal like!
(12 Mar 2016, 10:30 pm)thetravelman wrote [ -> ]Nice photos of buses in Hexham - G-CPTN,

I noticed in the row of 3 MPD's that there was a Volvo B7TL/East Lancs Vyking hiding behind them.

I know it was mentioned that these vehicles may see more use on the TEN group of services and I do notice them on a regular basis, but in reality how often are they used? Does this not downgrade the service a bit?

What is the reason for their regular allocation, I presume that there are not enough TEN branded Volvo B9TL Gemini's to go round?

Mind you I do quite like these buses, and I think they look smarter now that some of them have been repainted and branded in GNE corporate livery.
I don't get chance to use buses very often, however I did travel on a Vyking for the Sunderland Airshow last year and I must say that it was very smart and well kept inside. However when we left the Airshow we got on a Red Arrows - Volvo B9TL Gemini 2, this in comparison was quite shabby and seemed quite well worn.
I travelled from Corbridge to Hexham today on 3969 on the 14:36 TEN - adequate performance, but asthmatic wheezing so it might be what you are seeing.
I saw (and heard) 3969 passing through Corbridge later in the day (around 7pm at a guess - maybe nearer 7:30pm).
(12 Mar 2016, 11:36 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Fortunately it was in a lay-by, still not ideal like!

Would be funnier if you were on the Portrack Interchange and the bus broke down Tongue

Don't know why a WTX would be up there for but, you never know  Tongue
(12 Mar 2016, 11:15 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]Most B5s get used all day from early morning till very late night and through the night -
Meaning the mileage on them will probs be a lot more than the TEN Branded B9s new at the same time.

Would this be the case though? The TEN B9s, from what I would presume, don't get much rest either. When a 10 arrives at Hexham it forms the next one back out to Newcastle, and vice versa (ok, maybe a bit of layover at Eldon Square but I wouldn't say it's massive).
With the TEN route being more high-speed than the 21 (open roads at 50-60mph as opposed to a lot of residential 30-40mph roads) there would be more miles covered against the time they're running; equalling in a high mileage. Of course the point about the very late night running does still stand.

Just another unrelated question - do driver changes still regularly take place at Blaydon?