North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(13 Mar 2016, 8:12 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Looking at the development maps for Seaburn, Morrisons will remain where it is and everything will be built around it, i'm not sure they would close the Seaburn one as it gets a lot of customers, i think its the only major retailer in the area for food shopping.

Do you know when the one on Trimdon Street will open?

---------------
Looking at the current 99 route and the area's it covers

Silksworth is covered by the 13/33/33A/35A (Evening and Sundays)
Hospital - Many services 
Pallion - Stagecoach 10/11/18/19
Hylton Retail - 8/35/35A/36/73
Castletown - 35/35A/36
Hylton Castle - 3/36
North Sunderland - 4/13/16/35/36
Seaburn - 18/19/E1/E2/E6

Really the routes are quite covered if the 99 goes, the only problem would be Pallion and Seaburn, as no other GNE buses will go there.
For competition with the Economics, why not have it run from Park Lane - Seaburn?
I can't see it beating a 10 minute frequency though.
(13 Mar 2016, 8:12 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Looking at the development maps for Seaburn, Morrisons will remain where it is and everything will be built around it, i'm not sure they would close the Seaburn one as it gets a lot of customers, i think its the only major retailer in the area for food shopping.

Do you know when the one on Trimdon Street will open?

God knows when it will open lol, it was mentioned on skyscraper about the proposal closing down with seaburn store as it will be lucrative to morrisons to sell since its prime site, until it's confirmed it wouldn't be on the developed map of the proposed closure as the seaburn master plan is council.

Since morrisons in financial difficulty almost same as tesco, morrisons new stores will still be built at dalton park, trimdon street and Belmont, with closures of stores going ahead with seaburn as one of the closures in the north east
(13 Mar 2016, 8:25 pm)Davie wrote [ -> ]For competition with the Economics, why not have it run from Park Lane - Seaburn?  
I can't see it beating a 10 minute frequency though.

Honestly, i don't think it would get many passengers, even on a every 15 minute frequency, as the Eco's are way to often, its every 7/8 minutes during Monday - Saturday Day time.

Not saying, its a bad idea Davie, it would be good to see another company do well down Seaburn, unfortunately atm i can't see it.
(13 Mar 2016, 8:27 pm)cbma06 wrote [ -> ]God knows when it will open lol, it was mentioned on skyscraper about the proposal closing down with seaburn store as it will be lucrative to morrisons to sell since its prime site, until it's confirmed it wouldn't be on the developed map of the proposed closure as the seaburn master plan is council.

Since morrisons in financial difficulty almost same as tesco, morrisons new stores will still be built at dalton park, trimdon street and Belmont, with closures of stores going ahead with seaburn as one of the closures in the north east

Ah right, i view the skyscrapercity forum but i couldn't find the development map where it was saying Morrinsons would go. 

I know they've closed the Castletown store, as my auntie lives in the area, she said it looks like Lidl will be moving in... really shocked to see they could close the Seaburn one, its always busy when i go.

I thought the new development would be a welcome site for them, more people moving in etc, looking at the Seaburn plans, i really hope they go ahead.
(13 Mar 2016, 8:34 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Ah right, i view the skyscrapercity forum but i couldn't find the development map where it was saying Morrinsons would go. 

I know they've closed the Castletown store, as my auntie lives in the area, she said it looks like Lidl will be moving in... really shocked to see they could close the Seaburn one, its always busy when i go.

I thought the new development would be a welcome site for them, more people moving in etc, looking at the Seaburn plans, i really hope they go ahead.

It was mentioned that profits are down in the seaburn store year after year, it might make lot of money during summer months but not in winter months which the owners want profits all year round. BQ already halved there stores at trimdon street and at Belmont in preparation of morrisons taking the right hand side of the store.

About GNE doing a service to seaburn, can't see that happening as that area is carved up by stagecoach. Only services that GNE has done in seaburn is the route there took from dereg and secured service and service from an independent bus operators.
(13 Mar 2016, 8:47 pm)cbma06 wrote [ -> ]It was mentioned that profits are down in the seaburn store year after year, it might make lot of money during summer months but not in winter months which the owners want profits all year round. BQ already halved there stores at trimdon street and at Belmont in preparation of morrisons taking the right hand side of the store.

About GNE doing a service to seaburn, can't see that happening as that area is carved up by stagecoach. Only services that GNE has done in seaburn is the route there took from dereg and secured service and service from an independent bus operators.

Always about the profits.... typical big giant companies! 

Still think its odd that B&Q and Morrisons are working together haha
Forgot to say yesterday, 5390's NSA screens ARE working but the announcements are not
(13 Mar 2016, 9:00 pm)NK53 TKT wrote [ -> ]Forgot to say yesterday, 5390's NSA screens ARE working but the announcements are not

And to further that, Its gearbox needs sorting out. It has sticky gears.
They won't close the Morrisons at Seaburn, Trimdon Street is miles away from.

There are other places where there is two Morrisons store close to each other, for example Preston Grange and Whitley Bay. There is two Morrisons within a 5 minute drive (if that) or about a 15 minute journey on the 17 / 17A. The reason they both remain open is that the Whitley Bay one covers Monkseaton, Whitley Bay, West Monkseaton and other surrounding areas, whilst Preston Grange covers Tynemouth, North Shields, Cullercoats etc.
(13 Mar 2016, 9:33 pm)GMitchelhill wrote [ -> ]They won't close the Morrisons at Seaburn, Trimdon Street is miles away from.

There are other places where there is two Morrisons store close to each other, for example Preston Grange and Whitley Bay. There is two Morrisons within a 5 minute drive (if that) or about a 15 minute journey on the 17 / 17A. The reason they both remain open is that the Whitley Bay one covers Monkseaton, Whitley Bay, West Monkseaton and other surrounding areas, whilst Preston Grange covers Tynemouth, North Shields, Cullercoats etc.

The Chester-le-Street and Birtley branches are just a short drive apart.
(12 Mar 2016, 11:01 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]My only disappointment is the unnecessary low fell diversion. Surely the 1,21,29  and X12 already provide plenty of frequency.

I think the timing is unfortunate in the addition of the cannon as a stop for the x21 coincides with the roadworks along Durham Road.  I actually don't think it's a bad idea to serve low Fell if you take the roadworks out of the equation.  I've seen some people this week use it to go from the cannon to Chester-le-street, which is a non-stop journey.  I think it potentially will add more customers, and when the roadworks are over and low fell has added bus lanes, it won't really make too much of a difference to the journey time.
Whose going to run the 68s the roadwork shuttle pelaw to heworth?
So whats happening with 3859?
How come percy main havent done any metro replacements this week? Surely easier and chepaer for them as they not driving miles and miles out of service.
How is the bus reversing screen trial going?
(13 Mar 2016, 10:59 pm)dannygee wrote [ -> ]So whats happening with 3859?
How come percy main havent done any metro replacements this week? Surely easier and chepaer for them as they not driving miles and miles out of service.
How is the bus reversing screen trial going?

Many questions you have.

3859 is most likely to be heading for scrap considering it isn't DDA and not worth repairing.

Percy Main have a contract for the 327 (DFDS service) which may require an increased number of buses (and drivers) at short notice from their depot, therefore it would be no good if most of their buses were out on Metro Replacement, and this long standing contract with DFDS probably bring in a lot more money for GNE than what Metro Replacements does, additionally DFDS has in the past paid GNE to refurbish and paint their buses for the contract. Just got to wonder if in the future they will use 3962-3965 on it, unless 3866/3867 have been refurbished to DDA spec.

No idea on the last one, wasn't aware there was a trial.
(13 Mar 2016, 8:07 pm)cbma06 wrote [ -> ]Some passengers travel on service 99 between silksworth and enterprise park which if service 99 gets withdrawn then passengers can get service 33/33a and service 8, it's been suggested that when morrisons open at trimdon street that morrisons at seaburn will close and earmarked for housing developer with staff transferred to trimdon street, since service 99 gets a lot of passengers from Sunderland north estates to seaburn morrisons then it might spell the end of service 99 unless GNE runs the service from Sunderland to north estates via trimdon street.

I'm not convinced these new Morrisons will open, btw. The one at Dragonville was intended to be open by now, but then the problems happened. There has been no work on it, whatsoever.
Yep i agree that 3962-3965 should be used on dfds.

Also does anyone know who is doing metro replacements for the two week closure. Again ideal for percy main
(13 Mar 2016, 11:21 pm)dannygee wrote [ -> ]Yep i agree that 3962-3965 should be used on dfds.

Also does anyone know who is doing metro replacements for the two week closure. Again ideal for percy main

Arriva are doing the two week MRP contract.
(13 Mar 2016, 11:21 pm)dannygee wrote [ -> ]Yep i agree that 3962-3965 should be used on dfds.

All upcoming changes to services is found in the upcoming changes threads, for independents they will be in there correct threads.

I would keep checking those threads for the metro replacement services and who has what, along with any other changes.
Dan how much longer is the advert going to stay on the back of 6111? Its starting to look abit worn down now
(14 Mar 2016, 6:34 am)dannygee wrote [ -> ]Dan how much longer is the advert going to stay on the back of 6111? Its starting to look abit worn down now

The adverts are usually on for a year. It was gained last May, so it'll presumably carry this advert for another two months.