North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(10 Mar 2016, 7:42 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]https://www.flickr.com/photos/128789124@...otostream/ Looking closely at the picture it doesn't look like the seats are Esteban Civics, it looks like a different seat type.
I could be wrong but can anyone confirm the seat type?

Yes; it's a different type of seat, as seatbelts cannot be fitted to Esteban Civic seating.
(10 Mar 2016, 8:31 am)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]Registrations following on from the Streetdecks then Dan?

Yes, as will the minibuses for North Tyneside.
(10 Mar 2016, 7:42 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]But the outline of the logo is... It's not as if there's not a single thing on that bus which is indigo in colour?

Never understood why some enthusiasts are so hung up on the colour, when there's more to the brand than that.

Let's not go into how the branding covers the windows!
(10 Mar 2016, 7:30 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]Why is indigo a terrible brand though? I take it that this comment is being thrown about, having an in-depth knowledge of service performance, both before and after implementation in East Durham? I don't know how it can be said a brand is terrible otherwise.

You may not like the packaging (or livery!), but the brand is the entire model from top to bottom. Services, fare structure, features and packaging.

I think that people in Peterlee seem to be quite keen on the Indigos, to be honest. It's a cheerful brand and so much nicer than the tired old yellow grot they had before.

People notice when they seem to have the worst buses around. It makes them feel not valued as customers. I know that was the feeling here when we were poorly served by what seemed to be whatever was left at the back of the depot which could make it up the hill into the village, whether it was a (not low floor) decker or a solo. The Pulsars were an improvement, but people didn't really notice the change (unless they had buggies!). When locals did take notice was when we got the shiny new streetlites. People actually commented on that positively.
(10 Mar 2016, 7:43 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Yes; it's a different type of seat, as seatbelts cannot be fitted to Esteban Civic seating.

Thanks Smile Also are the North Tyneside Solos going to have Estebans? No need for seatbelts round there.
(10 Mar 2016, 7:46 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]Thanks Smile Also are the North Tyneside Solos going to have Estebans? No need for seatbelts round there.

Yes, the North Tyneside minibuses will be same spec as Peterlee minibuses (but with Wi-Fi fitted from build, as opposed to retrofitted).
(10 Mar 2016, 7:44 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Yes, as will the minibuses for North Tyneside.

Is that because they're Euro 6? 

It seems odd that they'll be putting the Solo SR's and Streetlites in the 63** bracket.
(10 Mar 2016, 7:30 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]Why is indigo a terrible brand though? I take it that this comment is being thrown about, having an in-depth knowledge of service performance, both before and after implementation in East Durham? I don't know how it can be said a brand is terrible otherwise.

You may not like the packaging (or livery!), but the brand is the entire model from top to bottom. Services, fare structure, features and packaging.
Having seen my photo of an Indigo and East Durham, I think it's a huge improvement. Let's hope this is the case for the North Tyne Links.
(10 Mar 2016, 7:48 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Is that because they're Euro 6? 

It seems odd that they'll be putting the Solo SR's and Streetlites in the 63** bracket.

Kuyoyo was asking about registration marks - not fleet numbers.
(10 Mar 2016, 7:46 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]I think that people in Peterlee seem to be quite keen on the Indigos, to be honest. It's a cheerful brand and so much nicer than the tired old yellow grot they had before.

People notice when they seem to have the worst buses around. It makes them feel not valued as customers. I know that was the feeling here when we were poorly served by what seemed to be whatever was left at the back of the depot which could make it up the hill into the village, whether it was a (not low floor) decker or a solo. The Pulsars were an improvement, but people didn't really notice the change (unless they had buggies!). When locals did take notice was when we got the shiny new streetlites. People actually commented on that positively.
Agree with this, I felt really undervalued by Arriva before the 7 went Sapphire, for such a major route the allocations were shocking and there has been significant growth on that route over the last two years.
(10 Mar 2016, 7:49 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Kuyoyo was asking about registration marks - not fleet numbers.

Oh haha - sorry i misread it! 

Tongue
(10 Mar 2016, 7:49 pm)Davie wrote [ -> ]Having seen my photo of an Indigo and East Durham, I think it's a huge improvement. Let's hope this is the case for the North Tyne Links.

Indigo was a massive improvement round East County Durham, And upgrade of the North Tyne Links has came at the right time, Most MPDs on there are in a sorry state.
Will the new minibuses for percy main be fitted woth NSA?
(10 Mar 2016, 7:51 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Agree with this, I felt really undervalued by Arriva before the 7 went Sapphire, for such a major route the allocations were shocking and there has been significant growth on that route over the last two years.

When we had one 22 an hour that may have been 5 minutes early or half an hour late, people didn't catch it unless they had to!
(10 Mar 2016, 7:58 pm)dannygee wrote [ -> ]Will the new minibuses for percy main be fitted woth NSA?

Yes
Well, in the hope of sampling the new and improved next stop announcements to help with a little article for Guide Dogs, I ventured out today across several routes, armed with a Blue & Purple zone M-ticket on my phone.

Firstly I jumped on a Cobalt Clipper into Newcastle Haymarket so I could change onto an X1 from Eldon Square out to Washington Galleries. However, the next stop announcements weren't working and the screens were stuck on a Red Arrows logo, (forgot to get vehicle number, sorry). Thinking I was wasting time on this none-talking bus, I jumped off at Gateshead Interchange and boarded an awaiting Quaylink to Heworth. 

For a while this vehicle's screen was stuck on 'Next Stop: Sage', but eventually woke up and started changing - no audio though. (This was probably a blessing as I'm really not a fan of Alan Robson's bus announcements, despite sometimes listening to Night Owls on the way back from the gym). 

Anyway, once at Heworth I switched to a Connections4 citaro (5368) - again screens working but no audio! At this point I was a little annoyed that 3 of the 4 talking buses I'd been out on, wouldn't talk to me. (Lucky there was no Guide Dog users/blind/visually impaired people on these services, eh?).
Thinking I'd wasted part of my day off, I alighted at Concorde Bus Station, and jumped on another Connections4 heading the opposite direction. 

Alas, this bus spoke! As expected Emma Hignett's clear and understandable tones gave a much more professional sound to what we've previously heard on certain GNE services. Although a smidge repetitive flying down the Felling Bypass due to having 'Next Stop....' and 'This is....' announcements, I completely approve of Go North East's new choice of voice artist. 
Periodically hearing 'This is a Connections4 service to....' is a great addition too, as it confirms you're on the right number bus, heading in the right direction - just what blind/visually impaired/unfamiliar passengers want.

In comparison, the Quaylink I got back from Heworth to Gateshead Interchange certainly sounded a little unprofessional and cringe-worthy after listening to the London style Connections4 voice.
Back at Gateshead Town I changed onto a Red Arrows X1 for Eldon Square, which also had Emma's annoucenments working - and they obviously sounded great too.

Well done Go North East.  Smile  

Once I collect some extra footage in the not too distant future, and get a blog written, I'll be sure to post a link.   Wink
The stop announcements sound much better, i'm glad Emma Hignett is doing them.
So whats happening with 3859 since its fire? What will replace it?
(10 Mar 2016, 8:25 pm)dannygee wrote [ -> ]So whats happening with 3859 since its fire? What will replace it?

Id presume one of the Pronto B7s might be drafted in to replace it.
StreetDeck 9119 is now at Oxford Bus Company.