North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(13 Mar 2016, 12:36 am)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Would this be the case though? The TEN B9s, from what I would presume, don't get much rest either. When a 10 arrives at Hexham it forms the next one back out to Newcastle, and vice versa (ok, maybe a bit of layover at Eldon Square but I wouldn't say it's massive).
With the TEN route being more high-speed than the 21 (open roads at 50-60mph as opposed to a lot of residential 30-40mph roads) there would be more miles covered against the time they're running; equalling in a high mileage. Of course the point about the very late night running does still stand.

Just another unrelated question - do driver changes still regularly take place at Blaydon?

I don't know, the 21s get to stretch their legs from Chester Le Street to Pity Me and from the Angel A1 Roundabout to just after Harlow Green, and on the evenings when they run on the X21 from Durham to Bishop Auckland.
(13 Mar 2016, 12:43 am)GMitchelhill wrote [ -> ]I don't know, the 21s get to stretch their legs from Chester Le Street to Pity Me and from the Angel A1 Roundabout to just after Harlow Green, and on the evenings when they run on the X21 from Durham to Bishop Auckland.

Very fair point, Gary. However is it half of the daytime 21s only go to Chester?
(13 Mar 2016, 1:02 am)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Very fair point, Gary. However is it half of the daytime 21s only go to Chester?

Not sure whether there is inter-working between a short and long run on arrival at Newcastle.

Also, the vehicles out on a night drop in at Chester later in the day.
I am guessing these have been out at some point earlier on, prior to heading back to the depot.
(12 Mar 2016, 10:30 pm)thetravelman wrote [ -> ]Nice photos of buses in Hexham - G-CPTN,

I noticed in the row of 3 MPD's that there was a Volvo B7TL/East Lancs Vyking hiding behind them.

I know it was mentioned that these vehicles may see more use on the TEN group of services and I do notice them on a regular basis, but in reality how often are they used? Does this not downgrade the service a bit?

What is the reason for their regular allocation, I presume that there are not enough TEN branded Volvo B9TL Gemini's to go round?

Mind you I do quite like these buses, and I think they look smarter now that some of them have been repainted and branded in GNE corporate livery.
I don't get chance to use buses very often, however I did travel on a Vyking for the Sunderland Airshow last year and I must say that it was very smart and well kept inside. However when we left the Airshow we got on a Red Arrows - Volvo B9TL Gemini 2, this in comparison was quite shabby and seemed quite well worn.

They shouldn't really be used at all.

The preferred 'alternative' vehicle type, in the event that a branded Volvo B9TL (or red Volvo B9TL 6084) is unavailable, is the four red Volvo B7TLs with Wright Eclipse Gemini bodywork, as these have high-backed seating and perform better than the ex-London double-decks.

I do agree that the East Lancs Vyking bodied Volvo B7TLs are in very good condition internally, though I suppose this is down to the fact the majority are only used for an hour on a morning and then an hour on an afternoon.

(13 Mar 2016, 12:36 am)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Would this be the case though? The TEN B9s, from what I would presume, don't get much rest either. When a 10 arrives at Hexham it forms the next one back out to Newcastle, and vice versa (ok, maybe a bit of layover at Eldon Square but I wouldn't say it's massive).
With the TEN route being more high-speed than the 21 (open roads at 50-60mph as opposed to a lot of residential 30-40mph roads) there would be more miles covered against the time they're running; equalling in a high mileage. Of course the point about the very late night running does still stand.

Just another unrelated question - do driver changes still regularly take place at Blaydon?

I believe the majority of the Hybrids have just recently passed the 200,000 miles milestone, and the "TEN" branded Volvo B9s are about 30,000 miles ahead of them.

Willing to stand corrected, but the only driver changeovers which occur at Blaydon are those associated with services 12/12A. The changeovers on service 10 occur at Hexham and Metrocentre, and the changeovers on services 11/96 occur at Metrocentre.
I think someone's been misinformed about the new buses, this was on the GNE Facebook page:

Hopefully the new buses coming soon will boost reliable for this route. I can't see you keeping the Tyne tees express buses for other routes, my guess is they be sold, looking forward to seeing new buses on this route soon, need reliable buses for A19.
(12 Mar 2016, 7:07 pm)JP6004 wrote [ -> ]Was almost there Wink still think they be better used on Tynedale Xpress or Waggonway  Big Grin

Or better used for service X35
(13 Mar 2016, 6:37 pm)cbma06 wrote [ -> ]Or better used for service X35

Or x36
(12 Mar 2016, 8:45 pm)westy3738 wrote [ -> ]Think that the 74 is now stand alone and doesn't interwork with 686/687 anymore

Correct
(13 Mar 2016, 6:40 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote [ -> ]Or x36

Not for service X36, X36 shouldn't be in fast cats brand , should be renumbered as X56 with a fab56 express brand.
(13 Mar 2016, 6:40 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote [ -> ]Or x36
I won't mention who; but a little birdy told me the X36 is getting withdrawn, and I've also heard from someone else, who again will remain nameless, a section of the route will be withdrawn.
Of course it could just be a load of c##p.
(13 Mar 2016, 6:37 pm)cbma06 wrote [ -> ]Or better used for service X35

Only problem with the X35 getting them, with the PVR as 7, two more would have be to sourced from another route or else where and with only 3 spare Citaro's in the fleet, 1 at Riverside and 2 at Stanley, i doubt this will happen however another way this could be done, is if one of the current Citaro routes get new buses.

Not saying its a bad idea but i'm just looking at whats available atm.
(12 Mar 2016, 11:01 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]How's everyone finding the X21 after its first week? Used it a lot this week through commuting to Durham offices  

Really enjoying the experience. Very comfortable, good legroom, not overly intrusive NSA (Hello Steve and Karen) It's certainly a very positive commute. I even altered my work hours to catch the streetdecks!

My only disappointment is the unnecessary low fell diversion. Surely the 1,21,29  and X12 already provide plenty of frequency.

Additionally, as noted by others in the outings thread. It's made me realise how rough and ready the Hybrids have become. Both under the bonnet and interior wise they are showing the signs of a well used bus. Guessing the additional amount of B7s, solars and tridents of late, they must be feeling it

Yes, I did enjoy my trip to Durham yesterday on 6307, the WiFi wasn't working though...
On the subject of Low Fell I agree, because of the roadworks it delayed the bus significantly. They are MUCH better than the B5LH's
(13 Mar 2016, 6:43 pm)Davie wrote [ -> ]I won't mention who; but a little birdy told me the X36 is getting withdrawn, and I've also heard from someone else, who again will remain nameless, a section of the route will be withdrawn.

I have heared the same but wasnt sure what to believe as it was a driver
He said the 99 would be increased to every 30 minutes and x36 withdrawn with him saying a new service introduced between Sunderland and downhill
(13 Mar 2016, 6:43 pm)Davie wrote [ -> ]I won't mention who; but a little birdy told me the X36 is getting withdrawn, and I've also heard from someone else, who again will remain nameless, a section of the route will be withdrawn.

like you said, it could be crap but here's a few things i think GNE could do with the route, if changes are planned: 

1. Drop the full route to hourly
2. Drop the Bolton Asda to Newcastle section of the route, so the route would only be Sunderland to Downhill - Hourly.

Not sure on fully withdrawing the route though.

Like you said Davie, it could be a load of crap.
(13 Mar 2016, 6:44 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Only problem with the X35 getting them, with the PVR as 7, two more would have be to sourced from another route or else where and with only 3 spare Citaro's in the fleet, 1 at Riverside and 2 at Stanley, i doubt this will happen however another way this could be done, is if one of the current Citaro routes get new buses.

Not saying its a bad idea but i'm just looking at whats available atm.

There could take the spare WTX citario as it's normally on other services at deptford and usually a indigo solo does X7 runs, just have to hunt down 1 more citario lol
(13 Mar 2016, 6:50 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]like you said, it could be crap but here's a few things i think GNE could do with the route, if changes are planned: 

2. Drop the Bolton Asda to Newcastle section of the route, so the route would only be Sunderland to Downhill - Hourly.

I think we need the X3 back. If I get the bus to Sunderland I get the X36.
On another subject, is 557 being debranded and put into the new livery or being withdrawn, or will it be an AD122 spare?
(13 Mar 2016, 6:50 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]like you said, it could be crap but here's a few things i think GNE could do with the route, if changes are planned: 

The loads on the x36 are amazing it carries decent amounts its only certain runs so id argue that the service is vital for commuters or when the metro is of so the service should be improved but not decreaded
(13 Mar 2016, 6:52 pm)cbma06 wrote [ -> ]There could take the spare WTX citario as it's normally on other services at deptford and usually a indigo solo does X7 runs, just have to hunt down 1 more citario lol

They could do that, maybe they could do:

Spare Citaro from WTX/5332 to Deptford,

One of Stanley's moving to Riverside.
(13 Mar 2016, 6:47 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote [ -> ]I have heared the same but wasnt sure what to believe as it was a driver
He said the 99 would be increased to every 30 minutes and x36 withdrawn with him saying a new service introduced between Sunderland and downhill

It was an enthusiast who told me.
(13 Mar 2016, 6:55 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote [ -> ]The loads on the x36 are amazing it carries decent amounts its only certain runs so id argue that the service is vital for commuters or when the metro is of so the service should be improved but not decreaded

I haven't seen the route for a while so don't know passenger numbers are like, infact i can't remember the last time i used another GNE other than the 8.

How are the passenger numbers during peak times?, the X36 was decreased between Downhill and Newcastle because the amount of passengers using it wasn't to good, not sure if its only improved because its hourly to Newcastle.