North East Buses

Full Version: Transport Photography
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
(01 Jul 2015, 4:16 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Using someone elses likeness for your own financial gain, not sure how Photography come into this other than selling Photos online etc.

So would taken a picture of a bus with Sainsburys door in the background fall into this category...I mean it is not like you would be profiting on the back of Sainsburys front door
(01 Jul 2015, 8:48 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]So would taken a picture of a bus with Sainsburys door in the background fall into this category...I mean it is not like you would be profiting on the back of Sainsburys front door

Honestly have no idea Fozz, whatever this rule is these Private Land Owners have came up is stupid and makes zero sense to me.
I'd guess the commercial side of it would include anything where it comes to the point of taking photos on their property which you later sell onto a magazine (for example). In which case you're profiting from the use of their land (effectively) without paying for it. Of course they're tarring all photography with the same brush but when you look at it like I just have, you could probably see why
Makes for interesting Reading, Cant find much else in relation to what we are talking about and issues we are having.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography_and_the_law
(01 Jul 2015, 9:11 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Makes for interesting Reading, Cant find much else in relation to what we are talking about and issues we are having.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography_and_the_law
Interesting...

The first paragraph seems to say you can photo pretty much anything away from Private Land, so you can hang round the Galleries as long as you aint on land owned by them...

Persistent and aggressive of an individual could be seen as harassment, some people on here should take note of that one Wink

Publishing photos of the Polis and armed forces is illegal under counter terrorism rules...Better check my Facebook and remove the pics I took of a Polis at Durham years ago...because he took a photo of me...
(01 Jul 2015, 9:19 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]Interesting...

The first paragraph seems to say you can photo pretty much anything away from Private Land, so you can hang round the Galleries as long as you aint on land owned by them...

Persistent and aggressive of an individual could be seen as harassment,  some people on here should take note of that one Wink

Publishing photos of the Polis and armed forces is illegal under counter terrorism rules...Better check my Facebook and remove the pics I took of a Polis at Durham years ago...because he took a photo of me...

That is correct, but my argument and failure of understanding has always been that while it maybe Private Land, it is Open to the Public with Public Footpaths etc therefore you are in a Public Place and very much in the Public Eye in which you should be able to take Photos without any issues, which would therefore in my Opinion override any form of Ruling which is in place by the Private Land Owner.
Hey everyone Smile

Recently I have been taking a few train photos (only Northern Rail so far). I have taken photos in Newton Aycliffe plus Darlington, Saltburn and Shildon Railway Stations. I am looking to do a bit more in regards to rail photos as I am kind of enjoying it especially as it helps provide a bit more variety to my Photostream.

So I have got some things to ask:
  • Where would be some potential places to get photos
  • Tips on how to take photos
There may be more things I can think of but can't as I am writing this post.

Also I can't say I fancy taking photos at Newcastle Central Station for a few reasons including a lack of knowledge especially if there is rail enthusiasts around who know there stuff where as I pretty much just know what Northern Rail's trains look like, also the whole signing in thing to take photos and such.

If this does become something more frequent and I take photos of trains besides Northern Rail trains please bare with me if I pop up on this forum asking questions as I have little knowledge on trains.

Click the link below to see my Northern Rail photos.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@...3313389781

Also apologises for bombarding my Flickr full of Arriva photos within the last fortnight but I have spent much of the time in Arriva territory in some cases the photos have been close to home. I have a trip to Scarborough and Moorsbus trips planned for this week and I am looking at doing a Dales & District trip next week where the locations would include: Beadle, Richmond, Ripon, Leyburn and Northallerton. I am also hoping to make more trips further afield and other local trips getting photos of GNE, Stagecoach and independents.
(13 Jul 2015, 12:59 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Hey everyone Smile

Recently I have been taking a few train photos (only Northern Rail so far). I have taken photos in Newton Aycliffe plus Darlington, Saltburn and Shildon Railway Stations. I am looking to do a bit more in regards to rail photos as I am kind of enjoying it especially as it helps provide a bit more variety to my Photostream.

Also I can't say I fancy taking photos at Newcastle Central Station for a few reasons including a lack of knowledge especially if there is rail enthusiasts around who know there stuff where as I pretty much just know what Northern Rail's trains look like, also the whole signing in thing to take photos and such.

If this does become something more frequent and I take photos of trains besides Northern Rail trains please bare with me if I pop up on this forum asking questions as I have little knowledge on trains.

Also apologises for bombarding my Flickr full of Arriva photos within the last fortnight but I have spent much of the time in Arriva territory in some cases the photos have been close to home. I have a trip to Scarborough and Moorsbus trips planned for this week and I am looking at doing a Dales & District trip next week where the locations would include: Beadle, Richmond, Ripon, Leyburn and Northallerton. I am also hoping to make more trips further afield and other local trips getting photos of GNE, Stagecoach and independents.
Manors train station is a canny spot
The great thing with the railways is that pretty much anything can turn up. Freights are rather good, you have operators such as Freightliner, DB Schenker, Direct Rail Services and GBRf around the north east primarily. I personally prefer lineside shots rather than station shots (excepting some places such as Doncaster for the fast lines).

Regarding 'how' to take a train shot is very similar to buses. Just make sure your exposure is ok along with a good shutter speed to 'stop' the train (General rule of thumb is 1/100 for every 10mph - if you were on a 125mph line you'd want a shutter speed of 1/1250. Linespeed of 60mph and ideally 1/800 but 1/640 would do too).

I typically try to get the front of the train and as much of the side as possible. Not a huge fan of rear shots but, if it turns out right, it can be great.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced Realtime Trains (RTT) is an absolute gem. Say if you were at Durham station and wanted to see what was due next, just search 'Durham' in the top left search box and hit go. There are various other filters/options on there too.

If you're wanting to look at other pics, please feel free to have a look at my photostream. Smile
Feel free to give me a PM if you've got any questions!

(If you're interested, on Wed or Thu this week there should be a DCR locomotive hauling a preserved British Rail ScotRail liveried Class 47 (47712) from Bishop Auckland to Carlisle for the upcoming open day at DRS' Kingmoor Depot [which anyone is very free to come along to, I'll be there]).
(13 Jul 2015, 12:59 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Hey everyone Smile

(13 Jul 2015, 5:45 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]The great thing with the railways is that pretty much anything can turn up. Freights are rather good, you have operators such as Freightliner, DB Schenker, Direct Rail Services and GBRf around the north east primarily. I personally prefer lineside shots rather than station shots (excepting some places such as Doncaster for the fast lines).

Regarding 'how' to take a train shot is very similar to buses. Just make sure your exposure is ok along with a good shutter speed to 'stop' the train (General rule of thumb is 1/100 for every 10mph - if you were on a 125mph line you'd want a shutter speed of 1/1250. Linespeed of 60mph and ideally 1/800 but 1/640 would do too).

I typically try to get the front of the train and as much of the side as possible. Not a huge fan of rear shots but, if it turns out right, it can be great.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced Realtime Trains (RTT) is an absolute gem. Say if you were at Durham station and wanted to see what was due next, just search 'Durham' in the top left search box and hit go. There are various other filters/options on there too.
Jimmi, Listen to Sean, you won't go far wrong with him and you'll pick up a lot from him...I know Sean and know he will look after you, I regard him as a friend...

Looked at your Train Photos Jimmi, they don't look bad at all mate
(13 Jul 2015, 5:55 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]Jimmi, Listen to Sean, you won't go far wrong with him and you'll pick up a lot from him...I know Sean and know he will look after you, I regard him as a friend...

They all look pretty decent - some decent spots... Lineside is always good but it's not always accessible, so that's why stations can be easier for many!
I took this at Metrocentre from the steps onto the footbridge
https://www.flickr.com/photos/61391443@N...jCL-oTxK27
(13 Jul 2015, 5:45 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ](If you're interested, on Wed or Thu this week there should be a DCR locomotive hauling a preserved British Rail ScotRail liveried Class 47 (47712) from Bishop Auckland to Carlisle for the upcoming open day at DRS' Kingmoor Depot [which anyone is very free to come along to, I'll be there]).

Aha! Glad you reminded me. That's what I'll be doing on the 18th then. Smile
(13 Jul 2015, 5:55 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]Jimmi, Listen to Sean, you won't go far wrong with him and you'll pick up a lot from him...I know Sean and know he will look after you, I regard him as a friend...

Thanks David! Ditto! Couldn't have made much better friends than on here. Smile

Got sidetracked earlier, seen your current pics Jimmi. I honestly don't think you could've done much better with them. Just need to get you grabbing pics of 125mph stuff now... Smile

(13 Jul 2015, 8:26 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]They all look pretty decent - some decent spots... Lineside is always good but it's not always accessible, so that's why stations can be easier for many!
I took this at Metrocentre from the steps onto the footbridge
https://www.flickr.com/photos/61391443@N...jCL-oTxK27

I totally agree. The architecture on some stations is fascinating and brilliant to get into a pic (for instance the footbridge at Hexham or old signalbox tower at Haltwhistle). Smile

(13 Jul 2015, 8:41 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Aha! Glad you reminded me. That's what I'll be doing on the 18th then. Smile

Hopefully will see you there! I'm there early doors and positioned in the engineering shed, hopefully giving lectures at how our locos work lol. Smile
(13 Jul 2015, 9:08 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Hopefully will see you there! I'm there early doors and positioned in the engineering shed, hopefully giving lectures at how our locos work lol. Smile

What's the crack with tickets, Sean? It says on the website that they'll be on the web store, but I can't see them??
(13 Jul 2015, 9:09 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]What's the crack with tickets, Sean? It says on the website that they'll be on the web store, but I can't see them??

Advance sales ended the other day however you can still buy on the day at the gate. I think they're the same price, all for charity too!
I take it as well you know how to get there? Not meaning to sound patronising in any way, just if you're stuck give me a shout Smile

(I've seen loads and loads of people asking how to get to the depot on Facebook!)
(13 Jul 2015, 9:34 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]I take it as well you know how to get there? Not meaning to sound patronising in any way, just if you're stuck give me a shout Smile

(I've seen loads and loads of people asking how to get to the depot on Facebook!)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Stagecoach in Cumbria's 76 service stop near by?
(13 Jul 2015, 9:37 pm)Davie wrote [ -> ]Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Stagecoach in Cumbria's 76 service stop near by?

Yep that's correct. Stagecoach in Carlisle 76 (for St Ann's Hill). Catch from the city centre, you'll go along a relatively straight road with a large/tall tower-like building on the right and the river on your left. As soon as you see the corner up ahead, ring the bell (pub next to stop called the Redfern Inn). Walk down the little road over the railway bridge then you're there. Smile

Will be interesting to see whether Stagecoach put on any E200s supplementing (or, indeed, replacing) the Optare Solo SRs for the day due to the high patronage the service will get.
With regards to train photos. Here are a few of my favourite spots...

- Newcastle Central
- Manors Station
- Castle Keep
- York Station
- Carlisle Station
- Near Pelaw Grange Greyhound Stadium in Birtley
Just a heads up, This afternoon I took a quick photo of 8252 at Heworth after getting off the 93 from Gateshead where I was approached straight away by two security guards, would seem Nexus have taken on a lot of Security to man there property and to therefore prevent photography on there land, shame they likely wont do anything about smoking mind, was also informed by Security that this was being rolled out across "All" Bus & Metro Stations across the T&W Network, these guys are smartly dressed in White Shirts and Black Trousers and are far from intimidating, just fat and overweight in personal opinion, well at least the two which approached me were anyway.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21