North East Buses

Full Version: Transport Photography
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
(18 Oct 2015, 5:09 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]It's your Flickr, you can do whatever you want with it. It's up to you. I don't feel like that I should have a say on how you do things. Keep taking great photos and don't worry about views and 'faves' on your photos, life's too short for that.  Smile

EDIT: And for the 'unfollowers', stuff the lot of them. They don't care about what you upload, only their own photos and keeping their 'followers' level high.

I'm probably not looking to do much different but Flickr is awfully time consuming so I like to make sure it's totally worth my time.

Obviously some lost followers will be stuff like accounts being deleted for whatever reason and sometimes people have pressed un follow by accident, if you have the Flickr app it's easily done I've done it once and at least two have pressed the button accidentally, but one of the latest people to un follow me, I decided to return the gesture.
(18 Oct 2015, 4:30 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I think I may go back to the larger uploads (possibly around 10 photos per upload) and try and bring back some more variety as there has been an awful lot of Darlington and Durham recently, to be honest I was bored just uploading yesterday's photos.

If anyone has any constructive feedback, I will be interested in hearing it.

Out of interest, why do you personally go for the smaller uploads? I tend to do it towards the Winter only, when I know, that there's perhaps going to be weeks and weeks, without an update on my account. I'd prefer just doing it as batches if there's a good load to do.
(18 Oct 2015, 5:26 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]Out of interest, why do you personally go for the smaller uploads? I tend to do it towards the Winter only, when I know, that there's perhaps going to be weeks and weeks, without an update on my account. I'd prefer just doing it as batches if there's a good load to do.

Quite a few people do it.

I believe it started when Flickr updated the design of their website so that you'd see a large photograph on the homepage with four thumbnails which you could hover over. You could see all five photographs without having to click, which often resulted in people quickly viewing the photographs and favouriting them.

If it's a large upload, people (in my experience) don't tend to go through all of the photos, and this is demonstrated both in terms of views and favourites. At the end of the day - it's your collection, so you shouldn't worry about whether others like your photographs or not. That's certainly my outlook on it - any views, comments and favourites are just a bonus.
(18 Oct 2015, 5:26 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]Out of interest, why do you personally go for the smaller uploads? I tend to do it towards the Winter only, when I know, that there's perhaps going to be weeks and weeks, without an update on my account. I'd prefer just doing it as batches if there's a good load to do.
Recently it's because I've sometimes been pressed for time. I also decided to trial it to see if it would improve the views etc. It worked in the short term but hasn't really worked in the long term. Also sometimes I only have a few photos to upload each day, didn't take much yesterday that I was totally happy with uploading so that's part of the reason for only uploading five yesterday. I'm probably going to have to do big uploads again in the next week or so with stuff like the GNE changes and new Arriva X66/X67 otherwise it will take forever if I'm only uploading in fives each day.
Does anyone have any suggestions for taking photos at night (in regards to settings and such)?
(25 Oct 2015, 8:47 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Does anyone have any suggestions for taking photos at night (in regards to settings and such)?
If the bus is at a complete stop, you should be able to get a good shot. I took this https://flic.kr/p/Ahfpnh with my mobile phone and it seems to have come out ok
(27 Oct 2015, 9:08 am)Davie wrote [ -> ]If the bus is at a complete stop, you should be able to get a good shot. I took this https://flic.kr/p/Ahfpnh with my mobile phone and it seems to have come out ok
I probably have to ensure that my camera is in the correct settings/modes to get the best out of night shots and I am a total dummy when it comes to camera settings, I have only a fortnight until the Durham Lumiere Festival where I will have to take the photos in the dark which is not something I have done before with this camera, all I can really do is get some practice in, so I may try and get some shots around Newcastle one evening next week.
(28 Oct 2015, 5:27 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I probably have to ensure that my camera is in the correct settings/modes to get the best out of night shots and I am a total dummy when it comes to camera settings, I have only a fortnight until the Durham Lumiere Festival where I will have to take the photos in the dark which is not something I have done before with this camera, all I can really do is get some practice in, so I may try and get some shots around Newcastle one evening next week.
If you can, rest your camera on something stable like a railing and that may help.
(25 Oct 2015, 8:47 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Does anyone have any suggestions for taking photos at night (in regards to settings and such)?

You'll struggle to get moving shots. Best find somewhere with an external light source, or even better, find somewhere that a bus is regularly picking up passengers on a night. When the doors open, on come the interior lights at the front. 

Auto should do it on your Nikon, but if not, just use the shutter priority mode. You'll have to knock your shutter speed right down though, probably to around 1/30 or less. Have a look around for tutorials, but it's going to just take patience and practice...
(28 Oct 2015, 6:12 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]You'll struggle to get moving shots. Best find somewhere with an external light source, or even better, find somewhere that a bus is regularly picking up passengers on a night. When the doors open, on come the interior lights at the front. 

Auto should do it on your Nikon, but if not, just use the shutter priority mode. You'll have to knock your shutter speed right down though, probably to around 1/30 or less. Have a look around for tutorials, but it's going to just take patience and practice...

Thanks

I think one night next week I will have a practice at the Metrocentre then move on to Newcastle and try around the Market Street area where the buses will be sat picking up passengers so hopefully I will get the hang of it.
(28 Oct 2015, 6:19 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Thanks

I think one night next week I will have a practice at the Metrocentre then move on to Newcastle and try around the Market Street area where the buses will be sat picking up passengers so hopefully I will get the hang of it.

Ensure VR is on, as it'll give you a bit more stability. 

Some photos I took last year at night - https://www.flickr.com/photos/aureolindn...408805211/. Though one of the angel shots, and the Lime shot, were taken with another camera.
Disappointing show from GNE today.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16042610@N...ed-public/

I dont think he was playing paper scissors stone either.
(28 Oct 2015, 7:59 pm)durhambusman wrote [ -> ]Disappointing show from GNE today.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16042610@N...ed-public/

I dont think he was playing paper scissors stone either.

Rock paper scissors, these days, man!

Not something I like to see from any bus drivers - don't usually see it from drivers in the big three to be honest. What's pdiddy's thoughts!haha
(28 Oct 2015, 9:02 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Rock paper scissors, these days, man!

Not something I like to see from any bus drivers - don't usually see it from drivers in the big three to be honest. What's pdiddy's thoughts!haha

I shall show the rock ?
(28 Oct 2015, 9:02 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Rock paper scissors, these days, man!

Don't know about that, I've been having a fair few recently, not just hand gestures either, I have had others covering faces, pretty sure in this photo: https://flic.kr/p/A2yKJb the driver has pulled the sun visor down to not be photographed (whilst going round an incredibly busy roundabout I might add), it is now getting to the stage where I am starting to think I am now responsible for putting the passengers on-board at risk by the driver hiding their faces whilst going round roundabouts.
I know this may open a can of worms, but there is an issue of privacy under the convention of human rights, if someone does not wish to have their photograph taken whilst undertaking their employment duties, the photographer could find themselves in court!!
(28 Oct 2015, 9:51 pm)nk55 wrote [ -> ]I know this may open a can of worms, but there is an issue of privacy under the convention of human rights, if someone does not wish to have their photograph taken whilst undertaking their employment duties, the photographer could find themselves in court!!

Sorry, but that's rubbish. I assume you're referring to article 8 though.

There is no law preventing photography in a public place. I'd imagine that nobody has successfully taken this matter to court, using article 8 of the ECHR or similar, as there'd be associated case-law. Which there isn't. 

If someone doesn't wish to have their photograph taken whilst undertaking their employment duties, then perhaps they're in the wrong job as a driver? Your employer does it for a start, via their CCTV system. It could also be said that operating in a public place, is a hazard of the job...

It is however an offence to make such hand gestures at a photographer, as covered by section 5 of the Public Order Act - Harassment, alarm or distress. Now that really would be a can of worms. Wink
(28 Oct 2015, 9:51 pm)nk55 wrote [ -> ]I know this may open a can of worms, but there is an issue of privacy under the convention of human rights, if someone does not wish to have their photograph taken whilst undertaking their employment duties, the photographer could find themselves in court!!

Taking a photo in a public place is Always Legal - No-one has the right to refuse to have their photograph taken in a Public Place or Area (Not even the Police).

Shopping Centres, Airports etc.. are privately owned areas and therefore permission may be needed in these areas. Bus Stations maybe considered similarly private land.
Subject is covered extensively in Photographic Journals.
Spot on Adrian. Everyone fofeits their right to privacy when they choose to enter a public place. 

Also the driver has indeed comitted a public order offence as well as in my opioion looking incredibly stupid.

I'm a big lad, can look after myself and have been photographing buses for 27 years so its water off a ducks back for me. I feel sorry for the many young lads who persue this hobby who might be intimidated by behaviour from staff.

I always make a point of reporting such incidents as it is unacceptable, this adds to a v from stagecoach sunderland and hunters and a 'shouter/toys out of the pram' from stagecoach south shields. My collection seems to be increasing these days. When i first started nobody cared. There are relatively few incidents with the big 3 as they rightly consider such behaviour as misconduct.

Wonders of modern technology driver was repirted to GNE before the bus would have got to Low Fell!

Off topic slightly but if any members are approached by the police my advice would be 'be nice' tell them what your doing and show them your photos. You dont necessarily have to do all of this but it gets you back to taking photos fastest as it easily demonstrates that you are doing nothing wrong. Ive had four or five of them too. One officer couldnt believe that anyone would take photos in washington, make of that what you will!!!
Opinions vary, i stand by my point.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21