North East Buses

Full Version: Transport Photography
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
(02 Aug 2015, 7:29 am)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]Cramlington is 110mph, and my Nikon L330 is actually quite good. It's all about if you take the photo correctly.

The problem with Chester-le-Street though is there is a massive bend about 500 yards away from the station so by the time my camera has actually turned itself on (I don't leave it switched on, just to waste battery) they are well gone. And coming the other way I hate going anywhere near the platform edge.

That second part sounds very modest, Tommy. Wink
(02 Aug 2015, 8:20 am)LeeCalder wrote [ -> ]The problem with Chester-le-Street though is there is a massive bend about 500 yards away from the station so by the time my camera has actually turned itself on (I don't leave it switched on, just to waste battery) they are well gone. And coming the other way I hate going anywhere near the platform edge.
Morpeth is good as the line speed is 50mph.
(02 Aug 2015, 8:23 am)danpick wrote [ -> ]Morpeth is good as the line speed is 50mph.

You can see if a train is coming if the level crossing has activated too.
The only indication that a train is approaching at Chester-le-Street is if you can hear the rails screeching.
(01 Aug 2015, 8:17 pm)LeeCalder wrote [ -> ]10mph difference, wow. That's just nitpicking.
It's not, it's merely stating a fact.
Realtime Trains is excellent for knowing when to have a camera switched on.
On a bright day, pretty much any camera will take a decent enough photo at Chester, it's just when the lighting gets low you'll have problems.
It doesn't make the location any worse than any other!
(02 Aug 2015, 9:07 am)northern156 wrote [ -> ]It's not, it's merely stating a fact.
Realtime Trains is excellent for knowing when to have a camera switched on.
On a bright day, pretty much any camera will take a decent enough photo at Chester, it's just when the lighting gets low you'll have problems.
It doesn't make the location any worse than any other!

It's just my personal opinion, I hate Chester-le-Street for my own reason's, but then again everywhere has it's got and bad spots. I'd just rather be somewhere where I know I can take a decent photo all of the time, such as Manors.
I know I have been posting in this thread a lot recently and I am going to try and limit my posts here but... Went to Newton Aycliffe Rail Station tonight and was surprised to see a Class 156 and Class 142 operating as one!

[Image: 20046111778_3943e4cece.jpg]Northern Rail: 156444 & 142023 by Jimmi's Transport Photos, on Flickr

[Image: 20046168760_a706888b1a.jpg]Northern Rail: 156444 & 142023 by Jimmi's Transport Photos, on Flickr

Still need to work on my train photo taking but I thought you'd would like to see these photos.
Just on locations in the area for train photography, spots at Saltburn are good (as you can get the points and the 142's at almost right angles), Eaglescliffe (on the junction), Seaton Carew and Plawsworth (although it is a hike on shanks pony from the Red Lion bus stops).
If you can get down to Frankland/Newton Hall, there are public footpaths that run alongside the track. Ditto if you go down the path that runs down the back of Birtley Town's ground.
There is also the site of what was Birtley Station, although I am not sure what access is like these days - there is a compound on the Ouston side.
(02 Aug 2015, 8:18 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]There is also the site of what was Birtley Station, although I am not sure what access is like these days - there is a compound on the Ouston side.

How do you get to that? Do you have to go up the lane where some sort of industrial estate (well, a few units) is located on the left as you come over the bridge from Birtley?
(02 Aug 2015, 8:30 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]How do you get to that? Do you have to go up the lane where some sort of industrial estate (well, a few units) is located on the left as you come over the bridge from Birtley?

The station was directly south of the bridge, but I am not 100% sure on access at the moment.
Coming from Birtley, you have a road on the left that runs in front of the photography shop. There is a shared office space type building on the right.
Over the bridge, the compound on the left and a builders merchants on the right.
I think there may be a footpath around the old tip, just beyond the compound, although I am unsure how close it gets to the track.
The ROF is being demolished, so that may open up viewing points and of course, the marshalling yards at Lamesley.
I've been meaning to mention this since Friday but I forgot, anyway, aparently you need a letter of permission from Nexus to take photos anywhere in Tyne & Wear.
(11 Aug 2015, 6:22 am)Davie wrote [ -> ]I've been meaning to mention this since Friday but I forgot, anyway, aparently you need a letter of permission from Nexus to take photos anywhere in Tyne & Wear.

I can confirm this as bullshit*. So if somebody goes to the Angel, they have to have a letter permission from the local Passenger Transport Executive to take photos of the Angel of the North...?

*unless you meant Metro, interchanges & bus stations
(11 Aug 2015, 8:10 am)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]I can confirm this as bullshit*. So if somebody goes to the Angel, they have to have a letter permission from the local Passenger Transport Executive to take photos of the Angel of the North...?

LMAO...

I think he means Nexus property...

Unless Tyne and Wear have Seceeded from the rest of the country with Nexus grabbing power and turning Newcastle into a Pyongyang style Peoples Republic
(11 Aug 2015, 8:34 am)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]LMAO...

I think he means Nexus property...

Unless Tyne and Wear have Seceeded from the rest of the country with Nexus grabbing power and turning Newcastle into a Pyongyang style Peoples Republic
Pyongyang? *coughs and points to a map, specifically to a village a few miles up the road from Houghton le Spring*.

I resisted the urge to comment on the wing mirror comments last night like, but two in two days just got too much Wink

#wingmirrorissues
#peoplesparties
#hashtagsonNEB
(11 Aug 2015, 8:10 am)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]I can confirm this as bullshit*. So if somebody goes to the Angel, they have to have a letter permission from the local Passenger Transport Executive to take photos of the Angel of the North...?

I was told even if I was on Fawcett street I needed permission.
(11 Aug 2015, 10:07 am)Davie wrote [ -> ]I was told even if I was on Fawcett street I needed permission.
Thats a load of crap...

I would demand to see that in Black and White...

If there was such a rule in place it would come from Sunderland Council, not Nexus
(11 Aug 2015, 10:07 am)Davie wrote [ -> ]I was told even if I was on Fawcett street I needed permission.

Does this mean you're banned from taking photographs in your own house as well?
(11 Aug 2015, 10:17 am)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]Does this mean you're banned from taking photographs in your own house as well?

Damn...nee more selfies for me!
(11 Aug 2015, 10:19 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]Damn...nee more selfies for me!

You'll have to escape Tyne & Wear if you want to keep your friends updated with that ''Ugly Selfie Squad'' thing... Tongue
(11 Aug 2015, 10:19 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]Damn...nee more selfies for me!

Selfies are fine but god forbid there be a bus in the background!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21