North East Buses

Full Version: Transport Photography
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
(01 Dec 2015, 9:35 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Wanting to do some more train shots.

Is there any way of finding out where a specific train might be, as I wouldn't mind a shot of 91128 with it's Christmas livery.

Tweet or Facebook message Virgin Trains East Coast (on the morning of the day) for the the headcodes, then use realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced then look for the headcodes.

You will only be able to get the headcodes on the morning when they have been allocated.
(01 Dec 2015, 9:51 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]To be honest, if you (Jimmi) can get to Ferryhill station or Hett, you might be in more luck.
Not the nicest location at this time of year, but would save you a trip and ending up with shots similar to most others.

Anywhere south Donny would be the best bet, seeing as everything goes between those points.

Issue with that being I am still pretty new to rail photography so don't know the line speeds and what shutter speed to set the camera in to match, also I am not that certain what access would be like down there, from what I've seen there is metal fencing much of the way round so the only option I could think of would be to stand on the bridge that the 33 and 56 go over to head towards Bishop Middleham. To make it easier for myself I may try to catch it at Darlington Rail Station, hopefully it would arrive at a time that I can get the Northern Rail service from Aycliffe. Another bridge option would be at Harrowgate Hill.
(01 Dec 2015, 10:03 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Issue with that being I am still pretty new to rail photography so don't know the line speeds and what shutter speed to set the camera in to match, also I am not that certain what access would be like down there, from what I've seen there is metal fencing much of the way round so the only option I could think of would be to stand on the bridge that the 33 and 56 go over to head towards Bishop Middleham. To make it easier for myself I may try to catch it at Darlington Rail Station, hopefully it would arrive at a time that I can get the Northern Rail service from Aycliffe. Another bridge option would be at Harrowgate Hill.
There is a path alongside the track, with the metal railings. A nature reserve maybe?
You should be able to get your lens through though.

Sure there is a footbridge too. Not sure if it is enclosed/covered.

These are to the north of the old station from memory.

I reckon the only way you can get better at something is by giving it a go and practicing with your shutter speeds.
(01 Dec 2015, 10:19 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]There is a path alongside the track, with the metal railings. A nature reserve maybe?
You should be able to get your lens through though.

Sure there is a footbridge too. Not sure if it is enclosed/covered.

These are to the north of the old station from memory.

I reckon the only way you can get better at something is by giving it a go and practicing with your shutter speeds.
Think I've found the path you are referring to looking on Google Maps and I may be wrong but it looks like it may be possible to get photos there, although Google Streetview for that area hasn't been updated since 2010 so it may be different now.

I think for trying to get a photo of that I may do the boring option just to ensure I can get myself a photo as I don't have long to get a photo of this especially as I have a few things on between now and Christmas, so I want to make sure I get a photo if possible as knowing me if I did the different shot I'd screw the shot up. I will try and be more adventurous with rail photos when I'm just snapping trains where there isn't nothing much of significance where it won't matter if I fail to snap it.
I'm going to be out most of this week getting photos of 91128 and the DVT. The crap camera let me down earlier today.
Going back to a discussion from a while ago, I went to Cramlington Rail Station today and I must admit I did feel a bit scared when trains were going past at speed. Was my first experience of trains heading past at these sorts of speeds.

Think this photo turned out alright, could have possibly been a bit better. https://flic.kr/p/DqwdXU

Got a fairly decent shot of Spirit of Sunderland 43274 there as well, but I snapped it in Darlington the previous day, as seen here. https://flic.kr/p/DQyREt

Hope to make more regular rail uploads.
(07 Feb 2016, 12:25 am)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Going back to a discussion from a while ago, I went to Cramlington Rail Station today and I must admit I did feel a bit scared when trains were going past at speed. Was my first experience of trains heading past at these sorts of speeds.

Think this photo turned out alright, could have possibly been a bit better. https://flic.kr/p/DqwdXU

Got a fairly decent shot of Spirit of Sunderland 43274 there as well, but I snapped it in Darlington the previous day, as seen here. https://flic.kr/p/DQyREt

Aye, they certainly go a canny speed thru there.
(07 Feb 2016, 8:56 am)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Aye, they certainly go a canny speed thru there.
It's about 110mph through there isn't it? Think it was just the shock that hit me more than anything. I'd imagine I'd get used to it after a while. One annoying thing about that station was the platforms weren't very wide. I wasn't put off by the whole experience though, I'd probably do there again or the likes of Chester-le-Street.
(07 Feb 2016, 12:25 am)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Going back to a discussion from a while ago, I went to Cramlington Rail Station today and I must admit I did feel a bit scared when trains were going past at speed. Was my first experience of trains heading past at these sorts of speeds.

Lol hahahahahaha  Wink Tongue 

Northbound trains weren't even going fast, could of used that platform Big Grin
(07 Feb 2016, 4:28 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]Lol hahahahahaha  Wink

Northbound trains weren't even going fast, could of used that platform Big Grin

Oh yeah that Pacer pulling into the station was enough to send shivers down my spine!

I wasn't really that scared!
Think the speed at Cramlington is less than 100mph due to the curve through the area.
(11 Feb 2016, 2:29 am)GMitchelhill wrote [ -> ]Think the speed at Cramlington is less than 100mph due to the curve through the area.

It's something treble figures, I was corrected from 90mph to 110mph somewhere online, it's the angled track that handles the high speeds etc
Anyone know what the line speeds are at Thirsk and Northallerton Rail Station's?
(19 Feb 2016, 3:27 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Anyone know what the line speeds are at Thirsk and Northallerton Rail Station's?

Northallerton is 125mph according to Wikipedia when I last looked.
(19 Feb 2016, 3:28 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]Northallerton is 125mph according to Wikipedia when I last looked.
Thanks. I may be heading there next week.
(19 Feb 2016, 3:28 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]Northallerton is 125mph according to Wikipedia when I last looked.

Yep - I think the speed limit is 125mph without any changes from just north of York to about 1/4 way from Darlington (may be wrong).

As for Thirsk, The platforms are in a 'loop' style with the fast lines running in between the two platforms.
Must say I am very surprised by the lacking of Tynedale Links photos today. Did some people not get the memo? Tongue
(23 Mar 2016, 10:09 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Must say I am very surprised by the lacking of Tynedale Links photos today. Did some people not get the memo? Tongue

It's a week day and people work. I wasn't expecting to see many to be honest.
(23 Mar 2016, 10:09 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Must say I am very surprised by the lacking of Tynedale Links photos today. Did some people not get the memo? Tongue

Not even Go North East have advertised the new vehicles. That in itself has surprised me haha.
(23 Mar 2016, 10:10 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]It's a week day and people work. I wasn't expecting to see many to be honest.

I get that, but look at how many photos were taken on the first day of the Castles Express which was a Monday.

Just hope that everyone isn't waiting until Saturday, don't fancy the thought of loads of enthusiast's being stood at the same place at the same time, especially at Hexham where there isn't a great deal of places to stand around the bus station, was bad enough having one being in Eldon Square at the same time as me this evening.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21