North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Major Service Changes July 2022
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(26 May 2022, 10:15 am)DeltaMan wrote [ -> ]You could always apply for the role

So could you.

(26 May 2022, 10:18 am)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]I think he's blacklisted.

And if he isn't, he should be. Harassing poor little innocent bus companies in the way that he does.

They won't even let me on their buses now.

Big warning signs by the drivers door for daring to harass and criticise.
On another note, I think the southern section of the 25 is definitely going to another transport provider in the not too distant future.

I notice the Voyager Bus and Coach Hire Company are operating the route again today, and have been quite a lot recently.
I've heard a wisper that no matter what to customers say the 25 is going and the 1 IS NOW NOT going to be extended to wreckenton! You heard it here first
(26 May 2022, 9:51 am)DeltaMan wrote [ -> ]So.......GNE shouldn't advertise for jobs that need filling?

I don't think anyone is saying that - the comment was more on the wording of the recruitment piece. It's absolutely tone deaf to what they're doing commercially which is obliterating a network and cutting off communities.

Re Voyager: since they are just glorified spares and tend to be on service routes more than anything - what exactly was the point of that rebranding excercise? Even to the point of a seperate driver uniform. Seems needless
(26 May 2022, 11:09 am)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]I don't think anyone is saying that - the comment was more on the wording of the recruitment piece. It's absolutely tone deaf to what they're doing commercially which is obliterating a network and cutting off communities.

Re Voyager: since they are just glorified spares and tend to be on service routes more than anything - what exactly was the point of that rebranding excercise? Even to the point of a seperate driver uniform. Seems needless
Decisions like major network changes are made by senior management teams in bus companies though and certainly not by folk programming ticket machines or destination blinds. So I don't see the problem
(26 May 2022, 11:17 am)DeltaMan wrote [ -> ]Decisions like major network changes are made by senior management teams in bus companies though and certainly not by folk programming ticket machines or destination blinds. So I don't see the problem

Will their be any routes to programme if the senior management get their way?
(26 May 2022, 11:40 am)Rob44 wrote [ -> ]Will their be any routes to programme if the senior management get their way?
Of course there will - if senior management’s plan works, GNE will still be running the routes but with a local authority subsidy

(26 May 2022, 11:40 am)Rob44 wrote [ -> ]Will their be any routes to programme if the senior management get their way?
Of course there will - if senior management’s plan works, GNE will still be running the routes but with a local authority subsidy
Has anyone seen anything by way of an 'offline' consultation?

I've been out again today and I haven't seen any posters or leaflets either on board the buses or at bus stations.
(27 May 2022, 3:55 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]Has anyone seen anything by way of an 'offline' consultation?

I've been out again today and I haven't seen any posters or leaflets either on board the buses or at bus stations.
Ive been half expecting a fella, some leaflets and a pasting table to be outside of Park Lane like in days gone by. 
Not seen him this time.
Hopefully we find out the final changes in a few weeks, hopefully around 1 month before the changes go into affect fully.

Wonder how much GNE will listen and change their mind.

Hopefully they'll do this again in September when they change a whole load of services. and Repaint 100 buses *again*
(27 May 2022, 7:44 pm)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]Hopefully we find out the final changes in a few weeks, hopefully around 1 month before the changes go into affect fully.

Wonder how much GNE will listen and change their mind.

Hopefully they'll do this again in September when they change a whole load of services. and Repaint 100 buses *again*

It's not a consultation, a consultation proposes changes which have reasons behind it. They won't change anything and if they do they never planned to do it in the first place so it's backwards PR. 'GNE looks after passengers after not cutting as many services,' sort of dirty tactic.

You're naive if you think GNE care about any feedback on most of it, asking someone in Portobello whether they agree they will have no bus service soon is like asking a vegetarian what they think of a new butcher shop opening up - an absolute waste of time.

The only reason it's there is when the cuts happen they can push the buck to the council for anything that does get cut because they wouldn't support them as nothing is ever GNE's fault. It's no surprise Nexus and the councils have been very quiet about it and I hope they get a backbone and fight back and throw the bad PR back to where it should be.
(27 May 2022, 8:18 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]It's not a consultation, a consultation proposes changes which have reasons behind it. They won't change anything and if they do they never planned to do it in the first place so it's backwards PR. 'GNE looks after passengers after not cutting as many services,' sort of dirty tactic.

You're naive if you think GNE care about any feedback on most of it, asking someone in Portobello whether they agree they will have no bus service soon is like asking a vegetarian what they think of a new butcher shop opening up - an absolute waste of time.

The only reason it's there is when the cuts happen they can push the buck to the council for anything that does get cut because they wouldn't support them as nothing is ever GNE's fault. It's no surprise Nexus and the councils have been very quiet about it and I hope they get a backbone and fight back and throw the bad PR back to where it should be.

You’re deluded if you truly believe there hasn’t been extensive discussions between Go North East and the local authorities about these proposed changes.

The reason they are keeping quiet is because they cannot yet ascertain what kind of service provision will be maintained - what can be captured within their budget and if they need to make some savings on their existing contracted bus network to pay for something else.

I’d hazard a guess that the local authorities are not too disheartened by the fact they finally have an opportunity to review poor-performing contracted bus services which carry very few passengers, which offers very little value to taxpayers.

I’m looking forward to you making these same comments about Arriva and Stagecoach when their cuts come later this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(27 May 2022, 8:27 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I’m looking forward to you making these same comments about Arriva and Stagecoach when their cuts come later this year.

Would Arriva have not made these cuts by now especially to the likes of the 51/51A/57/57A? 

Yeah, I reckon the X8 will end up going but would likely be replaced by a revised 43 (or sub-service such as a 42 or 43A) and a 20 minute X7 service. In fact, I doubt there'd be an overall PVR decrease.
(27 May 2022, 8:27 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]You’re deluded if you truly believe there hasn’t been extensive discussions between Go North East and the local authorities about these proposed changes.

The reason they are keeping quiet is because they cannot yet ascertain what kind of service provision will be maintained - what can be captured within their budget and if they need to make some savings on their existing contracted bus network to pay for something else.

I’d hazard a guess that the local authorities are not too disheartened by the fact they finally have an opportunity to review poor-performing contracted bus services which carry very few passengers, which offers very little value to taxpayers.

I’m looking forward to you making these same comments about Arriva and Stagecoach when their cuts come later this year.

I never said there wasn't any discussion between GNE and the LA's

But why do the public need to know yet? Surely the right thing would be to wait what can be saved by the local authority before releasing a list of services that 'might' be saved. It doesn't help someone in Ouston travelling to Newcastle that they 'might' have a service but we don't know yet. It does however cause potential fear of someone who doesn't have an alternative.

By all means consult on stuff like the X45/X46 changes etc there's nothing wrong there.

It's just putting pressure on Nexus / DCC to do something and if they don't then your taking half the blame as we publically said that it's upto you hence the comments on the bad PR should be going to the right party.
Local authority thrilled to get to spend even more money they don’t have.

Keep on drinking the kool aid Dan.
(27 May 2022, 8:52 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]Local authority thrilled to get to spend even more money they don’t have.

Keep on drinking the kool aid Dan.

I’ll keep drinking the kool aid as long as folk twist my words, Ambassador..! That was not what I said at all.

(27 May 2022, 8:49 pm)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]Would Arriva have not made these cuts by now especially to the likes of the 51/51A/57/57A? 

Yeah, I reckon the X8 will end up going but would likely be replaced by a revised 43 (or sub-service such as a 42 or 43A) and a 20 minute X7 service. In fact, I doubt there'd be an overall PVR decrease.

If the changes haven’t come yet, that tends to suggest that Arriva and Stagecoach are holding out until BRG ends before they make their changes - but as I have said elsewhere, a recurring theme across the North East is that temporary changes become permanent… There have been very few exceptions to that rule over the last 12 months or so.

(27 May 2022, 8:49 pm)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]Would Arriva have not made these cuts by now especially to the likes of the 51/51A/57/57A? 

It'll be Arriva Durham County where the cuts will be rather than Northumbria. There's some piss poor routes down there with the 56/57/57a, 62 (Durham), some of the Darlington locals, 3 (Redcar), 81 (Redcar), the Stokesley / Great Ayton services just to pick a few.

The 51/51A is already paid by Nexus and always has been if I'm right.
(27 May 2022, 9:21 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]It'll be Arriva Durham County where the cuts will be rather than Northumbria. There's some piss poor routes down there with the 56/57/57a, 62 (Durham), some of the Darlington locals, 3 (Redcar), 81 (Redcar), the Stokesley / Great Ayton services just to pick a few.

The 51/51A is already paid by Nexus and always has been if I'm right.
If Arriva withdrew the 57/57a, then Cassop, Quarrington Hill and Kelloe would all be left without a bus service. 

If they withdrew the 56, then Coundon would only have a bus service to Bishop Auckland town centre on an evening, and Cornforth would be left with only 5 buses a day on a weekday and none at all on a Saturday.

Despite Arriva's mediocrity, I'd argue that it's better for places to have an unreliable bus service than barely any or none at all.
(27 May 2022, 9:41 pm)wibblejunior wrote [ -> ]If Arriva withdrew the 57/57a, then Cassop, Quarrington Hill and Kelloe would all be left without a bus service. 

If they withdrew the 56, then Coundon would only have a bus service to Bishop Auckland town centre on an evening, and Cornforth would be left with only 5 buses a day on a weekday and none at all on a Saturday.

Despite Arriva's mediocrity, I'd argue that it's better for places to have an unreliable bus service than barely any or none at all.

Aye no arguments there mind, was just in relation if there's similar cuts to what GNE have done they're just the ones that are likely to be on the chop rather than Northumbria services. They're just routes that they've seem to forgot about bar endless minor changes.

I'm guessing there'd something there though, whether that's done by Arriva or subsidised then who knows. Stokesley wouldn't have a service either there but the 28/28A have been getting cut back and back for years now, I'm not sure they'd make much money really (sadly).

I could imagine Hartlepool could be ugly in general as it's become Stagecoach's dumping ground of old buses no-one else wants and a low cost unit at the same time.