North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East service levels during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Why is there certain people on here who bring everything negative back to Arriva it's getting beyond boring now. Arriva is owned by the German Government so if anything they're in the strongest place out of them all and also are an international business with trains and buses running across all of Europe.

GoAhead's share price is currently £7.50 per share so no-where near trouble with the traders.
Stagecoach is 75p which is a much much worse position that GoAhead so as it stands if anyone is going to get into trouble it's Stagecoach but it's still no-where near trouble yet either which is shame as Souter is an #### anyway so wouldn't be arsed if they went under deep down. (The routes and drivers etc will be safe up here anyway).

Arriva NE, Stagecoach NE and GNE are irrelevant as no way will their parent groups force them into administration as they're nowhere near their worst divisions.
(28 Mar 2020, 12:08 pm)missedbus wrote [ -> ]They seem to be in the process of being swapped over for Deptford's X-lines Solos if bustimes.org is to be believed.
Same source suggests Riverside is using a fair number of Citaros, may just be temporary whilst other buses are prepared.
It's a massive undertaking moving buses around etc and it may be a few days before we get the full picture.

Ah right! thanks, i used the GNE app, forgot to check bustimes.org Tongue
(27 Mar 2020, 11:02 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]4/X20 to be operated by Prince Bishops Streetlite, no Citaro or OmniCity to be used across GNE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is this (and rightly so during these times) a fuel saving measure?
(28 Mar 2020, 12:22 pm)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]Is this (and rightly so during these times) a fuel saving measure?

Buses which are the most fuel-efficient, most reliable and cost the least to maintain are the buses which have been selected.
(28 Mar 2020, 12:15 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]Why is there certain people on here who bring everything negative back to Arriva it's getting beyond boring now. Arriva is owned by the German Government so if anything they're in the strongest place out of them all and also are an international business with trains and buses running across all of Europe.

GoAhead's share price is currently £7.50 per share so no-where near trouble with the traders.
Stagecoach is 75p which is a much much worse position that GoAhead so as it stands if anyone is going to get into trouble it's Stagecoach but it's still no-where near trouble yet either which is shame as Souter is an #### anyway so wouldn't be arsed if they went under deep down. (The routes and drivers etc will be safe up here anyway).

Arriva NE, Stagecoach NE and GNE are irrelevant as no way will their parent groups force them into administration as they're nowhere near their worst divisions.

Since DB bought Arriva, why don’t there invest there money into the bus division, it’s because there only invest from uk paying customers into there own transport system into there own country and then asking for handouts from the uk government to improve buses and infrastructure in the uk, don’t forget originally there were only interested in the train side of Arriva and not the bus services, and now there can’t even give the bus side division away, stagecoach and Go Ahead have improved over the years rather than Arriva.

I prefer it when it was just United, even though there standards weren’t high but at least the standards were a lot better than it is today in the form of Arriva.

(28 Mar 2020, 12:15 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Ah right! thanks, i used the GNE app, forgot to check bustimes.org Tongue
It isn't foolproof, but it's proving useful today! 5299 has just been taken off at Hexham, 676 replacing it. All of Hexham's Citaros are now off and replaced by the X-lines Solos from Deptford.
Dan has kindly shared this on Twitter:

Dan Graham
@Dan3942
422 buses are in the process of being parked up, delicensed and put into temporary 'hibernation' - only the most fuel-efficient and reliable buses have been selected to run the reduced #COVID19 schedules. Huge logistical exercise:  colleagues are undertaking final movements today
(28 Mar 2020, 12:24 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Buses which are the most fuel-efficient, most reliable and cost the least to maintain are the buses which have been selected.

I'm surprised the X9/X10 B5s and the older StreetDecks fit in to that!
(28 Mar 2020, 1:05 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]I'm surprised the X9/X10 B5s and the older StreetDecks fit in to that!

The X9/X10 Volvo B5s will be used on service 10/10A. Far less demanding than the X9/X10.

The older StreetDecks will be used primarily on schools and the 25 (6301-03).
(28 Mar 2020, 12:41 pm)cbma06 wrote [ -> ]Since DB bought Arriva, why don’t there invest there money into the bus division, it’s because there only invest from uk paying customers into there own transport system into there own country and then asking for handouts from the uk government to improve buses and infrastructure in the uk, don’t forget originally there were only interested in the train side of Arriva and not the bus services, and now there can’t even give the bus side division away, stagecoach and Go Ahead have improved over the years rather than Arriva.

I prefer it when it was just United, even though there standards weren’t high but at least the standards were a lot better than it is today in the form of Arriva.

I was talking more about from a perspective of a finanical point of view.

I do understand what your saying there but the pre-DB Arriva was a hell of a lot worse than the Arriva we have now, this is just a small number of things:
  • East Lancs Citizens on Blyth Expresses which you couldn't sit in certain seats as they used to be wet from windows leaking.
  • Ikarus' on the Blyth Expresses which used to have tape on the windows to force them to shut or it was freezing.
  • Varios (even known they did have character).
  • Metroriders, which often ended up on flagship routes which we're battered.
  • P reg Olympians running Ashington Expresses.
  • M reg Olympians running Berwick Expresses.
  • N reg Prismas often running to Whitby / Scarborough.
  • The ever so reliable Prestige fleet.
  • Buses which still had interiors pre dating Arriva (1999) - some on flagship routes.
From Northumbria's point of view I don't really the issues that people say, okay the darts and solos maybe need replacing but anything else would be just a waste of money as there's nothing wrong with them.

Arguably around here Stagecoach has the oldest fleet and are by far are the least innovate especially considering the routes they have in comparison to half of Arriva and GNE's routes which compete against the Metro or are rural routes.
(28 Mar 2020, 12:59 pm)missedbus wrote [ -> ]It isn't foolproof, but it's proving useful today! 5299 has just been taken off at Hexham, 676 replacing it. All of Hexham's Citaros are now off and replaced by the X-lines Solos from Deptford.

So does the X84 not have NSAs currently due to being operated with X-lines Solos? The X85 is only running between Hexham and Newbrough for now, with the emergency timetables.
(28 Mar 2020, 1:59 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote [ -> ]So does the X84 not have NSAs currently due to being operated with X-lines Solos? The X85 is only running between Hexham and Newbrough for now, with the emergency timetables.

The X-lines Solos have Next Stop Announcements. They offer the same features as the normal Mercedes Citaro.

Services 185/681 and 74 are to be converted to Mercedes Sprinter operation in the coming days too.
(28 Mar 2020, 1:42 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]I was talking more about from a perspective of a finanical point of view.

I do understand what your saying there but the pre-DB Arriva was a hell of a lot worse than the Arriva we have now, this is just a small number of things:
  • East Lancs Citizens on Blyth Expresses which you couldn't sit in certain seats as they used to be wet from windows leaking.
  • Ikarus' on the Blyth Expresses which used to have tape on the windows to force them to shut or it was freezing.
  • Buses which still had interiors pre dating Arriva (1999) - some on flagship routes.
From Northumbria's point of view I don't really the issues that people say, okay the darts and solos maybe need replacing but anything else would be just a waste of money as there's nothing wrong with them.

Arguably around here Stagecoach has the oldest fleet and are by far are the least innovate especially considering the routes they have in comparison to half of Arriva and GNE's routes which compete against the Metro or are rural routes.

Dunno about anyone else, but I'd take the majority of that fleet over the stuff we see these days.
(28 Mar 2020, 2:00 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]The X-lines Solos have Next Stop Announcements. They offer the same features as the normal Mercedes Citaro.

Services 185/681 and 74 are to be converted to Mercedes Sprinter operation in the coming days too.

Are the NSAs exactly the same? Thanks for confirming that.

Why can't the 74 continue with the usual allocation of a Solo? Such a shame all these rare and odd workings when people should be staying in, and in particular staying away from public transport as much as possible. Does the 74 not have any working announcements? I expected announcements on the service when Citaros were recently allocated.
(28 Mar 2020, 2:12 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote [ -> ]Are the NSAs exactly the same? Thanks for confirming that.

Why can't the 74 continue with the usual allocation of a Solo? Such a shame all these rare and odd workings when people should be staying in, and in particular staying away from public transport as much as possible. Does the 74 not have any working announcements? I expected announcements on the service when Citaros were recently allocated.

Maybe the 74 isn't getting enough passengers to be allocated a Solo?
(28 Mar 2020, 1:42 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]I was talking more about from a perspective of a finanical point of view.

P and M reg Olympians? They were brilliant motors. The D10-245 engined examples (ANE 7410-20 & GNE 3811-33 could handle anything. Only route they they struggled on later in their lives was the summer X60. GNE's examples just before their retirement would happily climb up the hills on the X70/X71.
(28 Mar 2020, 2:16 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Maybe the 74 isn't getting enough passengers to be allocated a Solo?

I thought a Sprinter and Solo were a similar capacity. Maybe it will get more passengers being a rare and odd working?
(28 Mar 2020, 2:22 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote [ -> ]I thought a Sprinter and Solo were a similar capacity. Maybe it will get more passengers being a rare and odd working?

I hope not, people should be staying away from buses unless they're keyworkers!
(28 Mar 2020, 2:25 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]I hope not, people should be staying away from buses unless they're keyworkers!

I am well aware of that and made that point above! I don't agree with the idea, and don't think all these rare and odd workings are really a good idea for now. Some people will be getting pictures and videos, while others may like to give them a try while they have the chance. Hopefully I'm wrong though and people very sensibly only go out for essential reasons, and maybe capture some rare photos and videos while out exercising, shopping for basics etc.
(28 Mar 2020, 2:19 pm)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]P and M reg Olympians? They were brilliant motors. The D10-245 engined examples (ANE 7410-20 & GNE 3811-33 could handle anything. Only route they they struggled on later in their lives was the summer X60. GNE's examples just before their retirement would happily climb up the hills on the X70/X71.

Oh I can't disagree with that but a normal fare passenger wouldn't agree. Bench seating, high floor (OAP's and buggies), dark and quite dingey inside really - not to mention they were never refurbished since new. Plus they looked old design wise compared to say something 15 year old now especially since the Enviro and anything Wright haven't really changed their designs massively since about 2002 / 2006.

Shame you can't get buses like them nowadays rather than the crap (in comparison) produced now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28