North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Service Suggestions v2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(31 Jul 2020, 11:42 am)Storx wrote [ -> ] I disagree here, it shouldn't be bus vs train. They should compliment each other not be not against each other . If the network was integrated you'd be able to use the bus to the train then the train after that on one ticket and both companies get a share.

People don't care about GNE's profits nor Arriva, Stagecoach, Northern or whatever people care about about the quickest and most reliable route. If the operators don't want to provide than then they'll drive instead.

Train will always beat bus in 99% of cases.

I agree to an extent. But not totally. Whilst I agree there does need to be some integration (see Seaham comments above), I do think the X9/10 versus the train isn't as straight cut as Bertie the bus v Thomas the tank engine (https://youtu.be/rfzckQMS51c) one of my favourite stories from the series BTW.

The X9/10 serve very few locations that the train does. Newcastle, Billingham or Stockton/Thornaby and Boro. Peterlee to an extent now Horden has opened.
I'd argue that whilst the commuter is a key target for both, others less so just because of their specific journey needs. The train stops places the bus doesn't and vice versa, the bus over train. 
There will be a need to attract longer distance shoppers or day trippers and that is where the competition can hopefully benefit passengers both in terms of the on board environment and pricing. 

It's not too different along the Tyne Valley.
(31 Jul 2020, 12:27 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]I agree to an extent. But not totally. Whilst I agree there does need to be some integration (see Seaham comments above), I do think the X9/10 versus the train isn't as straight cut as Bertie the bus v Thomas the tank engine (https://youtu.be/rfzckQMS51c) one of my favourite stories from the series BTW.

The X9/10 serve very few locations that the train does. Newcastle, Billingham or Stockton/Thornaby and Boro. Peterlee to an extent now Horden has opened.
I'd argue that whilst the commuter is a key target for both, others less so just because of their specific journey needs. The train stops places the bus doesn't and vice versa, the bus over train. 
There will be a need to attract longer distance shoppers or day trippers and that is where the competition can hopefully benefit passengers both in terms of the on board environment and pricing. 

It's not too different along the Tyne Valley.

Ah dw I don't dispute this X9/X10 has it's own areas, Dalton Park for starters. It was on the point that GNE should intentially make it awkward to connect at Seaham to push people on the X1/X9/X10 which doesn't benefit anyone. No-one wants to sit on a bus for twice as long as using a train.

Trains for commuters always have a benefit over buses as they don't get influenced by external factors such as traffic as much as buses so can actually be quicker than a car. Buses on the otherhand are very very rarely quicker than driving. It's where we should pushing more bus/train influence. The ECML North of the Newcastle is the biggest waste of an oppurtunity there should be more of a push to Alnwick -> Alnmouth Station -> Newcastle for example, it has to be quicker with the right connections etc. Similar with Morpeth and Cramlington stations. The fact we have stations such as Pegswood and Widdrington Station with a one a day service  yet we have 4 trains an hour going from Newcastle to Edinburgh express carrying mostly fresh air most the time.
Was told by a taxi driver, ex Deptford that what is now the x84/x85 could have merged with the 56.
Any truth in this?
(07 Aug 2020, 8:28 am)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]Was told by a taxi driver, ex Deptford that what is now the x84/x85 could have merged with the 56.
Any truth in this?

None.
(07 Aug 2020, 8:31 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]None.
Hahah, that would be a VERY long route!
I always thought a decent idea would of been to send the 93/94 across to Newcastle
(07 Aug 2020, 8:31 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]None.

Surely there is some scope for a Saturday/Sunday & Bank Holidays only once covid 19 buggers off, could even number it X88 - Sunderland - Washington Galleries - Metrocentre - Blaydon - Corebridge - Hexham
(10 Aug 2020, 9:16 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Surely there is some scope for a Saturday/Sunday & Bank Holidays only once covid 19 buggers off, could even number it X88 - Sunderland - Washington Galleries - Metrocentre - Blaydon - Corebridge - Hexham

There’s Malarkey Marathons then there’s route suggestions to Ryanair,,,,

93/94 to Quayside during the daytime isn't a bad idea if they can survive Comrade Gannons new road layouts
Since we're now on the subject of direct buses to Hexham, I propose the Bishop Auckland to Hexham X68 service.

The route will be as follows:

Bishop Auckland
Howden le Wear
Crook Market Place
Tow Law

Castleside
Consett
Blackhill
Shotley Bridge Hospital

Riding Mill
Corbridge
Hexham Bus Station

Total distance of 40 miles so would have to be split at Consett
Google Maps says journey time of 1 hour 15 minutes , so probably a 2+ hour journey time
Demand: probably sod all to none
(10 Aug 2020, 10:17 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]There’s Malarkey Marathons then there’s route suggestions to Ryanair,,,,

93/94 to Quayside during the daytime isn't a bad idea if they can survive Comrade Gannons new road layouts

What with the Sunderland Road Bus Gate nearing completion (if it hasn’t already?), and bus prioritisation on Askew Rd I think Gateshead Council should be credited for taking bold actions to rightly prioritise public transport & active travel.
(11 Aug 2020, 6:58 am)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]What with the Sunderland Road Bus Gate nearing completion (if it hasn’t already?), and bus prioritisation on Askew Rd I think Gateshead Council should be credited for taking bold actions to rightly prioritise public transport & active travel.
Which wont have any effect now Jackson street closed altogether
(11 Aug 2020, 7:58 am)JP6004 wrote [ -> ]Which wont have any effect now Jackson street closed altogether

Not all services use Jackson St so it will improve at least some services. I'm not sure how long the Jackson Street measures will be in place. I don't think they're permanent though?
With Central Gateshead pretty much being a grid system are Jackson St services not just travelling along an adjacent block? 
Gateshead Town itself needs a lot of work, but we'll keep that chat for the Skyscraper City forum. Wink
(11 Aug 2020, 8:57 am)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]Not all services use Jackson St so it will improve at least some services. I'm not sure how long the Jackson Street measures will be in place. I don't think they're permanent though?
With Central Gateshead pretty much being a grid system are Jackson St services not just travelling along an adjacent block? 
Gateshead Town itself needs a lot of work, but we'll keep that chat for the Skyscraper City forum. Wink
The reason it was installed as it would reduce the time getting over the roundabout and onto the High Street, using Jackson street to run up to the interchange. By blocking this off any savings made using the bus link will be non existent as buses have to use a different route to the interchange....adding extra time. But to be fair GC just havent got a clue about road planning...but yes leave that for SSC  Tongue
(11 Aug 2020, 6:58 am)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]What with the Sunderland Road Bus Gate nearing completion (if it hasn’t already?), and bus prioritisation on Askew Rd I think Gateshead Council should be credited for taking bold actions to rightly prioritise public transport & active travel.

as others have said Comrade, the actions of Supreme Leader Gannon are all headlines without the sub text or context.

Gateshead isn’t innovative or bold. It’s initial plan has severely hampered bus operations across both sides of the river but it ticked a box and gained some gullible leftie followers...
(11 Aug 2020, 10:51 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]as others have said Comrade, the actions of Supreme Leader Gannon are all headlines without the sub text or context.

Gateshead isn’t innovative or bold. It’s initial plan has severely hampered bus operations across both sides of the river but it ticked a box and gained some gullible leftie followers...

Lol, okay sure. No need to get all political.
Would running some services to/from central station towards metrocentre past the copthorne regularly benefit the quayside (would to need ncl council to change swing bridge flow obvs).
(13 Aug 2020, 9:46 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]Would running some services to/from central station towards metrocentre past the copthorne regularly benefit the quayside (would to need ncl council to change swing bridge flow obvs).

The issue is there's actually sod all to do at the quayside, there's no reason for anybody to really go there, so it'd just be for the people living there to travel elsewhere, and I don't really see there being that much demand.
(13 Aug 2020, 10:32 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]The issue is there's actually sod all to do at the quayside, there's no reason for anybody to really go there, so it'd just be for the people living there to travel elsewhere, and I don't really see there being that much demand.

Just a major art gallery, two courts, countless hotels and bars, a cinema, two theatres, a weekly market, boat trips, restaurants, lots of employment, huge residential areas, a major tourist area, sightseeing and a Royal Navy training base. Otherwise nothing to do...

Bizarrely I agree, there’s little demand as quaylink provide hub and spoke models to 100 and X66. Fairly sure Stagecoach tried and failed.
(10 Aug 2020, 8:47 pm)V514DFT wrote [ -> ]I always thought a decent idea would of been to send the 93/94 across to Newcastle
There are a few benefits to that.
A direct service to the Team Valley from Newcastle outside of peak times.
More direct services into Newcastle from Bensham Road that serve all stops.
Another direct service to Newcastle from the Allerdene area.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
(16 Aug 2020, 10:34 am)big mac wrote [ -> ]There are a few benefits to that.
A direct service to the Team Valley from Newcastle outside of peak times.
More direct services into Newcastle from Bensham Road that serve all stops.
Another direct service to Newcastle from the Allerdene area.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

I disagree with the bottom 2 as it's the only link which links Gateshead to places within Gateshead, there's already a service pretty much from everywhere to Newcastle and there's already more than enough buses choking up the Tyne Bridge going into Newcastle, we realistically need less not more.

Team Valley is a valid one though.