North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Service Suggestions v2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Slightly off the wall idea maybe, but potentially extend the 82 to continue on to the QE instead of terminating in Birtley? That would eliminate the need for the 925.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
(14 Jul 2020, 5:57 pm)6049 wrote [ -> ]Slightly off the wall idea maybe, but potentially extend the 82 to continue on to the QE instead of terminating in Birtley? That would eliminate the need for the 925.

23 Maybe, extend from wrekenton to QE. You could also extend nexus 68 instead.
(14 Jul 2020, 6:31 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]23 Maybe, extend from wrekenton to QE. You could also extend nexus 68 instead.
I was just thinking on a commercial basis as that is how the 925 is running at the moment. The 82 runs almost exactly the same route as the 925 apart from through Barley Mow Estate not around it.

(14 Jul 2020, 6:31 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]23 Maybe, extend from wrekenton to QE. You could also extend nexus 68 instead.

23 wouldn’t be a bad shout. Restore the links from barley mow and Elizabethville that were lost by the 721 and the 777.
24 - Newcastle - QE - Wrekenton - Blackfell Drive (Go to end roundabout and turn back, new links from time saved not going round Low Fell etc) - Current Route
25 - Current 25
25A - Gateshead - Wrekenton via current 25 route  only.

All 3 are hourly, leaves 30 minute service between Langley Park to Newcastle one via Low Fell, one via the QE.
25 / 25A - Gives 30 minute service between Gateshead and Wrekenton via Low Fell.

Time the 28A to hit the Gold Medal roughly the same time as 25A so there's still a 30 minute service to Newcastle from there.

Why bother duplicating the route between Birtley and the QE. I'm sure it won't be the end of the world if it goes hourly to Newcastle from Harlow Green, there's like 20 buses from Gateshead to Newcastle anyway.

Seems more logical imo. Evening and Sunday service will be the 25.
(14 Jul 2020, 5:53 pm)big mac wrote [ -> ]Another suggestion for the 925 would be for it to serve Easedale Gardens instead of Old Durham Road between Wrekenton and the QE to improve links to the hospital from Beacon Lough.

I never thought of that tbf. There was the 51/52 which provided that link in the past and obviously there's the 93/94 which does it for those on or near Beacon Lough Road now.
Easdale Gardens and up Southend Road?
Just spoke to my partners parents who weren't aware of the 925 running. Got a taxi to QE then a lift back. Will use it next time they have an appointment.
(15 Jul 2020, 11:21 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]I never thought of that tbf. There was the 51/52 which provided that link in the past and obviously there's the 93/94 which does it for those on or near Beacon Lough Road now.
Easdale Gardens and up Southend Road?
Yeah I'd agree with that. Beacon Lough Road already has the 93 but Southend Road just has the 69 which is hourly. 

When the old 51 and 52 ran they had a service 6 days a week, every 30 minutes to and from the hospital, but when the route was changed it went from having a good level of service to the QE to having nothing.
Seen all the discussion about the 25 and it's issues and then someone moaning about the 21 being too frequent which I partially agree with which made be think of this idea:

21 - Newcastle -> Gateshead -> Low Fell -> Birtley -> Chester Le Street (Every 15 Minutes) -> Durham (Every 30 Minutes) - PVR 8
21A - Newcastle -> Gateshead -> Low Fell -> Harlow Green -> Wrekenton (Every 30 Minutes) - PVR 3
21B - Newcastle -> Gateshead -> Low Fell -> Hertford -> Chowdene Bank -> Team Valley Retail World (Every 30 Minutes) - PVR 3
X21 - Current X21 to Bishop Auckland Only
X22 - Newcastle -> Gateshead -> NON STOP -> The Cannon -> NON STOP -> Coach and Horses -> Birtley -> Chester Le Street -> 25 Langley Park - PVR 12 (X21 and X22)
25 - Old X25 Between Newcastle to Chester Le Street extended to Great Lumley (Every 30 Mins) then Seaham (Every Hour) replacing 71 - PVR 6

Metro Centre to Durham renumbered something else.

I'm aware it's a slight increase in PVR by 1 but it gives some actually useful links such as a bus from Newcastle and Low Fell to Team Valley all day (places where people want to be) and Great Lumley and Fencehouses a direct bus to Newcastle and Gateshead. It also gives an upgrade to the 25 for the passengers who are further afield with a quicker journey to Newcastle and X-Lines upgrade whereas the rest of the route get's a new extension to Houghton and the link back to the QE restored while the X21 extension to West Auckland is removed which seems to carry fresh air. It also gives Birtley an express bus missing Low Fell (at a cost of 2 buses an hourly but the 21 is dead by then mostly anyway for the frequency) and the 21 is still 7.5 minutes through the core part.
Quick Suggestion: Divert 27 between Chichester and Tyne Dock via West Park, Hospital and Boldon Lane replacing H2 & Nexus H1 (Old 526 Section Between Hospital and Tyne Dock)
Extend 33 From Silksworth to Doxford Park, The Herringtons then either Washington Galleries or Houghton (As Old 37/38)
(16 Jul 2020, 2:34 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]Quick Suggestion: Divert 27 between Chichester and Tyne Dock via West Park, Hospital and Boldon Lane replacing H2 & Nexus H1 (Old 526 Section Between Hospital and Tyne Dock)
Extend 33 From Silksworth to Doxford Park, The Herringtons then either Washington Galleries or Houghton (As Old 37/38)
Would need to replace the 27 with something at Rekendyke, Barnes Rd and Dean Road.  It's pretty well used in that area.
(16 Jul 2020, 4:30 pm)ifm001 wrote [ -> ]Would need to replace the 27 with something at Rekendyke, Barnes Rd and Dean Road.  It's pretty well used in that area.
Having thought about it, merging the H1 or H2 with the 516 could be a better option. Or just bring back the 526, 528 or 544.
(24 Jun 2020, 2:48 pm)S830OFT wrote [ -> ]They could always make the 265 stand-alone and send it to Langley Park, additionaly return the service to Chester-le-Street depot. Then with a few adjustments to the timetable, the 202, 204, 208 could all continue their cycle. Additionally the 55 journeys that terminate at Peterlee can be extended to Station Town, keeping the 202 between Seaham and Peterlee only.
Don't bother with Battle Hill Drive for X39. Instead run it from Whitley Bay via Marden Estate and New York then non stop along the Coast Road as old Arriva 44 did. Far too many buses serve Battle Hill. Since 2010 services to Newcastle have been rubbish from Marden Estate taking twice as long as old service 44. Smile
I know I'm not too well established but why isn't there a service that skims Town instead of going right through to get to the other side? Maybe something like a Qurom-express starting at maybe Throckley Leazes and then stopping at only the following, West Denton shops, Slatyford Bus Garage, Cowgate Estate, A1058 Coast Road straight through to Quorum and or Killingworth. Skimming Town but still having the ability to pick up a decent load from the communities near the stops it does serve as well as being faster than the Stagecoach alternatives. Its really only aimed at workers and some scholars so, wouldn't need to run all day and can run one way in the morning and the other in the evening.

Would be a good way to encroach on Stagecoach territory but without shadowing their services.
(17 Jul 2020, 12:52 pm)Big O wrote [ -> ]I know I'm not too well established but why isn't there a service that skims Town instead of going right through to get to the other side? Maybe something like a Qurom-express starting at maybe Throckley Leazes and then stopping at only the following, West Denton shops, Slatyford Bus Garage, Cowgate Estate, A1058 Coast Road straight through to Quorum and or Killingworth. Skimming Town but still having the ability to pick up a decent load from the communities near the stops it does serve as well as being faster than the Stagecoach alternatives. Its really only aimed at workers and some scholars so, wouldn't need to run all day and can run one way in the morning and the other in the evening.

Would be a good way to encroach on Stagecoach territory but without shadowing their services.

I think that would probably tie in with what James101 has just said in another thread. The hub and spoke model has its flaws and as people adapt to different working practices, away from city centres etc., services may need to adapt to routes like this.
A few suggestions then.  

X89  Newcastle Eldon Square Central Station Metro Centre then direct to Corbridge. Hexham bus Station - Pristople - Haydon Bridge direct to Carlisle.  It could be a few journeys a day as an experiment as a faster alternative to the Ten and 685 

X55 Newcastle - Gateshead  - Washington - A19 - Dalton Park - Hart Village-  Throston Grange - Hartlepool Interchange ( some summer Journeys extended to Seaton Carew Bus Station ).  Every 30 minutes to Dalton Park and hourly to Hartlepool.  

21 As Now but reduced to every 15 Minutes. 

X21 As Now but will stop at the Angel of the North and extends to Darlington via Ferryhill.  Will no longer serve Tindale Crescent.  Service 18 will be brought back instead.   

231.  Newcastle - Gateshead- none stop to the Angel of the North - none stop to Chester le Street - Houghton Le Spring - Hetton Le Hole - Easington Village - Horden -  Hart Station - Hartlepool Interchange.   

X11 Middlesbrough - Teesside Park - Tees Barrage - Stockton - North Tees Hospital - Stillington - Sedgefield - Trimdons - Seaham - Sunderland.   

232 Horden - Horden station - Peterlee - Dalton Park - Maiden Castle - Durham - Chester Le Street.
Not a route suggestion, but more of a timetable revision. 

At both ends of the route, the 71 doesn't really tie in with train timetables.
If they're looking to grow the route (particularly at the Seaham end), then it may be beneficial for them to run it closer to train timetable.

On some routes (X9/X10), they're in competition with the train.
With others, I wonder if it would be worth adapting to suit.
Seaham station is the closest mainline station to a number of communities in the Coalfield area and making it easier for people to get to/from the station, can only be a good thing. Surely?
(30 Jul 2020, 8:46 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Not a route suggestion, but more of a timetable revision. 

At both ends of the route, the 71 doesn't really tie in with train timetables.
If they're looking to grow the route (particularly at the Seaham end), then it may be beneficial for them to run it closer to train timetable.

On some routes (X9/X10), they're in competition with the train.
With others, I wonder if it would be worth adapting to suit.
Seaham station is the closest mainline station to a number of communities in the Coalfield area and making it easier for people to get to/from the station, can only be a good thing. Surely?

You'd think so if the network was integrated. If passenger's ultimate destination is Middlesbrough or Newcastle, the main destinations form Seaham station, it'd be in GNE's interest to funnel them onto the X1/9/10.
(30 Jul 2020, 11:57 pm)James101 wrote [ -> ]You'd think so if the network was integrated. If passenger's ultimate destination is Middlesbrough or Newcastle, the main destinations form Seaham station, it'd be in GNE's interest to funnel them onto the X1/9/10.

If there's a choice of getting the train from Seaham to Newcastle or Middlesbrough or having to change at Dalton Park - no matter how much funneling they do, the train is going to win on so many levels imo. You're not at the whims of door knobs driving/crashing on the A19 for one. 

Seeing the numbers get on/off who are heading to/from intermediate destinations such as Sunderland or Horden, never mind Newcastle or Boro shows that the train is looking very strong on that one too - at least on a commuter level.
(30 Jul 2020, 11:57 pm)James101 wrote [ -> ]You'd think so if the network was integrated. If passenger's ultimate destination is Middlesbrough or Newcastle, the main destinations form Seaham station, it'd be in GNE's interest to funnel them onto the X1/9/10.

I disagree here, it shouldn't be bus vs train. They should compliment each other not be not against each other. If the network was integrated you'd be able to use the bus to the train then the train after that on one ticket and both companies get a share.

People don't care about GNE's profits nor Arriva, Stagecoach, Northern or whatever people care about about the quickest and most reliable route. If the operators don't want to provide than then they'll drive instead.

Train will always beat bus in 99% of cases.