North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Service Suggestions v2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(21 Mar 2022, 6:38 pm)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]Also X30 to be standalone 7 days a week.
That would be a commercial car crash waiting to happen! Fair enough the Mon-Sat daytime X30 / X70 group of services being split but evenings & Sundays, the X30 wouldn't be viable running standalone.
(21 Mar 2022, 8:02 pm)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]That would be a commercial car crash waiting to happen! Fair enough the Mon-Sat daytime X30 / X70 group of services being split but evenings & Sundays, the X30 wouldn't be viable running standalone.
Tbh I think the X30 should run seperate all the time, cos there are a lot of streetlites being placed on Double Decker service especially during the day for the X70/71/72/31. Just so they can get any double deckers and it would only be the X30 running singles.

I don't get how Consett can have 4 Spare E400, 3 StreetDecks, and Several G2's and still have single decks runnings on a daily basis
(21 Mar 2022, 8:10 pm)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]Tbh I think the X30 should run seperate all the time, cos there are a lot of streetlites being placed on Double Decker service especially during the day for the X70/71/72/31. Just so they can get any double deckers and it would only be the X30 running singles.

I don't get how Consett can have 4 Spare E400, 3 StreetDecks, and Several G2's and still have single decks runnings on a daily basis

It's impossible to have the X30 run standalone, it's an hourly service which takes 40 minutes end to end (roughly). Unless you want buses sitting around doing nothing every run for 20 minutes there's no way you can timetable it sensibly.
(21 Mar 2022, 8:10 pm)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]Tbh I think the X30 should run seperate all the time, cos there are a lot of streetlites being placed on Double Decker service especially during the day for the X70/71/72/31. Just so they can get any double deckers and it would only be the X30 running singles.

Usually it's because deckers are required on other services, there's an E400MMC and/or StreetDeck on 16/16A, 47/47A & X5/X15's most days covering, just today there was 6333, 6341 & 6361 on 16/16A, 6339 & 6351 on 47/47A plus 5409 & 6044 on X5, these were all on for at least part of the daytime today.
(21 Mar 2022, 9:11 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Usually it's because deckers are required on other services, there's an E400MMC and/or StreetDeck on 16/16A, 47/47A & X5/X15's most days covering, just today there was 6333, 6341 & 6361 on 16/16A, 6339 & 6351 on 47/47A plus 5409 & 6044 on X5, these were all on for at least part of the daytime today.
There was a few single deckers on the X70's X30's. 

is it that Consett don't have enough branded Double Deckers, the allocations are now worse than deptford.
(21 Mar 2022, 9:35 pm)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]There was a few single deckers on the X70's X30's. 

is it that Consett don't have enough branded Double Deckers, the allocations are now worse than deptford.

It's because the Hybrids are unreliable and are on work that's way too long / hard for them. There's 6 of them off the road atm. 

They should be something like the 58 but because of the LEZ they can't.
Moving the Volvo B5LH to Consett hasn't been the best idea
(22 Mar 2022, 11:30 am)Train8261 wrote [ -> ]Moving the Volvo B5LH to Consett hasn't been the best idea
But what other route would suit them. I mean maybe the 50, with 6301-6307 (idk if that is enough) swapping them out. The 50 would defo be a good option if the 26 was being moved to PM.
(22 Mar 2022, 6:13 am)Storx wrote [ -> ]It's because the Hybrids are unreliable and are on work that's way too long / hard for them. There's 6 of them off the road atm. 

(22 Mar 2022, 11:30 am)Train8261 wrote [ -> ]Moving the Volvo B5LH to Consett hasn't been the best idea

I'm not sure I agree that it wasn't 'the best idea'. Go North East needed to upgrade capacity on service 16, which allowed some peak-time resource to be taken out (more cost effective). On average there are normally three Hybrids off the road at any given time, so three spares are allocated (6064, 6069, 6070). They also didn't meet the requirements for the CAZ, so had to be moved out of Newcastle city centre (though the council are now considering an exemption given the number of these that Stagecoach operate into the city).

There are more off the road at the moment, but this mainly relates to the shortage of labour across the industry. Volvo, like most sectors, are short of staff - this means the buses go to Volvo and wait to be repaired. We're jumping to conclusions if we assume it's because the work they're on is too strenuous for that type of vehicle; most drivers comment and say that they are much better than the Streetlites previously allocated.

Last week there was four ADL E400s off the road - are we going to suggest that they are allocated to work that's too strenuous?
(22 Mar 2022, 4:58 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Last week there was four ADL E400s off the road - are we going to suggest that they are allocated to work that's too strenuous?

Absolutely. With the amount of armchair bus drivers and engine experts on here, it's the only conclusion that fits the emperical, albeit limited, data.
(22 Mar 2022, 4:58 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I'm not sure I agree that it wasn't 'the best idea'. Go North East needed to upgrade capacity on service 16, which allowed some peak-time resource to be taken out (more cost effective). On average there are normally three Hybrids off the road at any given time, so three spares are allocated (6064, 6069, 6070). They also didn't meet the requirements for the CAZ, so had to be moved out of Newcastle city centre (though the council are now considering an exemption given the number of these that Stagecoach operate into the city).

There are more off the road at the moment, but this mainly relates to the shortage of labour across the industry. Volvo, like most sectors, are short of staff - this means the buses go to Volvo and wait to be repaired. We're jumping to conclusions if we assume it's because the work they're on is too strenuous for that type of vehicle; most drivers comment and say that they are much better than the Streetlites previously allocated.

Last week there was four ADL E400s off the road - are we going to suggest that they are allocated to work that's too strenuous?

Not at all but they've been unreliable long before the past few weeks, the fact there's 3 off the road when there's only 15 of them doesn't exactly show they're the best.

They're only there because there's literally no-where else for them to go without selling them imo. The ex. London B9's would be a much better fit with the hybrids on the 58/93/94 but obviously the LEZ has stopped that, where the stop start would actually be handy.
(22 Mar 2022, 5:17 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]Not at all but they've been unreliable long before the past few weeks, the fact there's 3 off the road when there's only 15 of them doesn't exactly show they're the best.

They're only there because there's literally no-where else for them to go without selling them imo. The ex. London B9's would be a much better fit with the hybrids on the 58/93/94 but obviously the LEZ has stopped that, where the stop start would actually be handy.
They could easily switch if Newcastle allow it. But with the B9's interiors switched
(22 Mar 2022, 5:27 pm)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]They could easily switch if Newcastle allow it. But with the B9's interiors switched

I don't think 'easily' describes it. The PVR's don't match first of all, 7 Loops and 6 58's compared to 8 16's so you either have to swap 8 16's for 7 loops and a 58 or the whole lot. If you go for the first option that's 16 buses to repaint, the latter you're looking at 26. If you're doing the whole batch then there's the fact tables etc have been retrofitted to the X5/15 ones so do they need to be swapped, plus the interior branding, is it that simple or would it need to be completely redone. Seems like a lot of time, effort and money. Not saying GNE haven't done big swaps before but for the sake of a slight issue in reliability, GNE might be better upgrading 6177-6181 to Euro 6 and using them as spares at Consett or acquiring similar additional B9's for scholars/spare.
(22 Mar 2022, 6:02 pm)peter wrote [ -> ]I don't think 'easily' describes it. The PVR's don't match first of all, 7 Loops and 6 58's compared to 8 16's so you either have to swap 8 16's for 7 loops and a 58 or the whole lot. If you go for the first option that's 16 buses to repaint, the latter you're looking at 26. If you're doing the whole batch then there's the fact tables etc have been retrofitted to the X5/15 ones so do they need to be swapped, plus the interior branding, is it that simple or would it need to be completely redone. Seems like a lot of time, effort and money. Not saying GNE haven't done big swaps before but for the sake of a slight issue in reliability, GNE might be better upgrading 6177-6181 to Euro 6 and using them as spares at Consett or acquiring similar additional B9's for scholars/spare.

A slight issue in reliability which, when the world isn’t short-staffed, shouldn’t be a huge issue - as I said before, on average three Hybrids are off service at any time, and there are three spare Hybrids allocated to Consett.

It’s not the first time (and I’m sure won’t be the last!) that this forum has gotten over-excited in a short term high VOR with these Hybrids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
An extension of the X22 to the Arnison Centre could be good. would really give the name 'Centrelink' a boost so Centre to Centre. could also push people to get the X20 from Sunderland and get the bus from the Arnison Centre quicker Also providing new quicker links to Durham & surrounding areas
(21 Mar 2022, 8:49 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]It's impossible to have the X30 run standalone, it's an hourly service which takes 40 minutes end to end (roughly). Unless you want buses sitting around doing nothing every run for 20 minutes there's no way you can timetable it sensibly.
They could split the X30/X31 & X70/X71/X72 but still interwork the X30/X31 with each other if that kinda makes sense at least during the day with relief at Stanley? Would certainly help with reliability and also help with spares on the basis that a spare 'full height' decker could be allocated on the X70/X71/X72 if needed. Obviously the X70/X71/X72 would still interwork with each other and some relief at Stanley depending where the rotas and shifts fall (i.e CON - NCL - CON - NCL - STY then STY- NCL- CON - NCL - CON , that would fall within legal driving limits).

But running the X30 standalone during the evenings and on Sundays however would be commercial suicide.
(23 Mar 2022, 8:12 pm)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]They could split the X30/X31 & X70/X71/X72 but still interwork the X30/X31 with each other if that kinda makes sense at least during the day with relief at Stanley? Would certainly help with reliability and also help with spares on the basis that a spare 'full height' decker could be allocated on the X70/X71/X72 if needed. Obviously the X70/X71/X72 would still interwork with each other and some relief at Stanley depending where the rotas and shifts fall (i.e CON - NCL - CON - NCL - STY then STY- NCL- CON - NCL - CON , that would fall within legal driving limits).

But running the X30 standalone during the evenings and on Sundays however would be commercial suicide.

Aye definitely, not sure on the benefits though. The post I replied to said to run the X30 by itself and the X31/X70/X71/X72 together though which is impossible (without silly layovers).
(23 Mar 2022, 8:20 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]Aye definitely, not sure on the benefits though. The post I replied to said to run the X30 by itself and the X31/X70/X71/X72 together though which is impossible (without silly layovers).
Pretty sure they already do, do changeovers in Stanley. or it might have been a one off due to rescheduling drivers.
(22 Mar 2022, 6:09 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]A slight issue in reliability which, when the world isn’t short-staffed, shouldn’t be a huge issue - as I said before, on average three Hybrids are off service at any time, and there are three spare Hybrids allocated to Consett.

It’s not the first time (and I’m sure won’t be the last!) that this forum has gotten over-excited in a short term high VOR with these Hybrids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When the excess streetdecks do leave Consett and go 6064, 6069 and 6070 are the spares for the diamond, what will become the Red Kite Ranger spare? Saying that, other than 6045 these B9's with over 800k on the clock (being previous x10's) seem to be coping with a long route, quite well.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
(23 Mar 2022, 8:20 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]Aye definitely, not sure on the benefits though. The post I replied to said to run the X30 by itself and the X31/X70/X71/X72 together though which is impossible (without silly layovers).
Well the main benefits would be improved recovery time and also flexibility in allocations meaning that the X70/X71/X72 could be allocated a full height decker if an E400MMC was off the road.