North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Service Suggestions v2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
X33 Saturday shopping service. Beamish, Pelton, Ouston, Team Valley, then non stop flexible routing to Newcastle Clayton Street, Newgate Street Wilko.

Three journeys each way interworking with the B1.

Benefits, fast Newcastle and Team Valley shopping service from Beamish, Pelton and Ouston. Opportunity for additional passenger revenue and BSOG by using the vehicle allocated to the B1.
Curtail the Coaster services 1A/1B at Wallsend, linking with Little Coasters 11 and 42/42A. Keep the section from Wallsend to North Shields. QuayCity Q3 provides a direct link from Wallsend and Byker to Newcastle, with plenty of connections to Metrocentre.

22 and 25 put into a new brand to compliment the 21. Existing X22 replaced with 22, apart from the one trip serving Team Valley, operates as X33 with 28, X32, X33 and X91 (renumbered existing 91) serving different parts of Team Valley. 93/94 return to Loop brand.

Centurion 74, introduce additional journeys between Callerton and Newcastle only. Replace all Tynedale Links and AD122 with new Centurion brand.

New brand for the 35/35A. Suggestions?

Orbit 51/52 serving Metrocentre, Durham Road and Heworth

X-lines X84/X85 run later into the day, Monday to Friday between Newcastle and Hexham only.
Personally would like to see the Q3 changed to provide an evening service to wallsend,especially if the £1 evening fare is to be utilised

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
(22 May 2021, 12:15 pm)atlantean560 wrote [ -> ]Personally would like to see the Q3 changed to provide an evening service to wallsend,especially if the £1 evening fare is to be utilised

Yeah, I thought of that. Especially with the £1 evening fare as you said. Honestly, I promise I'm not copying. Just didn't say it, as I guess there isn't the demand. Maybe with the £1 evening fare there will be demand going forward. That's also why I'd like to see the X84/X85 run later into the day if Stagecoach allows it. Not sure if the £1 evening fare is available/valid on the 42/42A as GCT operate them on an evening. What GNE tickets are valid on GCT operated trips?
God knows. Tbh the £1 thing would be up to Nexus to decide if it should be valid on the 42/42A which I doubt it will
(22 May 2021, 12:03 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote [ -> ]Curtail the Coaster services 1A/1B at Wallsend, linking with Little Coasters 11 and 42/42A. Keep the section from Wallsend to North Shields. QuayCity Q3 provides a direct link from Wallsend and Byker to Newcastle, with plenty of connections to Metrocentre.

22 and 25 put into a new brand to compliment the 21. Existing X22 replaced with 22, apart from the one trip serving Team Valley, operates as X33 with 28, X32, X33 and X91 (renumbered existing 91) serving different parts of Team Valley. 93/94 return to Loop brand.

Centurion 74, introduce additional journeys between Callerton and Newcastle only. Replace all Tynedale Links and AD122 with new Centurion brand.

New brand for the 35/35A. Suggestions?

Orbit 51/52 serving Metrocentre, Durham Road and Heworth

X-lines X84/X85 run later into the day, Monday to Friday between Newcastle and Hexham only.
So you'd want to cut the 1A and 1B which have run the same route for years severing links to Town and Gateshead from North Shields,Howdon and Marden,that would make you real popular
(22 May 2021, 3:43 pm)V514DFT wrote [ -> ]So you'd want to cut the 1A and 1B which have run the same route for years severing links to Town and Gateshead from North Shields,Howdon and Marden,that would make you real popular

Not want, no. But I can see it happening. The Coaster isn't that popular between Wallsend and Newcastle, and plenty of services go from Newcastle to Gateshead. Maybe it could be non-stop from Wallsend to Gateshead. Stagecoach's 22 is killing GNE's North Tyneside network. Most people in Wallsend / Byker have a Stagecoach ticket. 42/42A is more popular in Wallsend in my experience. 1A/1B has been stable for years, but doesn't have great passenger numbers.
(22 May 2021, 3:55 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote [ -> ]Not want, no. But I can see it happening. The Coaster isn't that popular between Wallsend and Newcastle, and plenty of services go from Newcastle to Gateshead. Maybe it could be non-stop from Wallsend to Gateshead. Stagecoach's 22 is killing GNE's North Tyneside network. Most people in Wallsend / Byker have a Stagecoach ticket. 42/42A is more popular in Wallsend in my experience. 1A/1B has been stable for years, but doesn't have great passenger numbers.

Tbh the coaster doesn't really justify deckers on most journeys.
(22 May 2021, 3:55 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote [ -> ]Not want, no. But I can see it happening. The Coaster isn't that popular between Wallsend and Newcastle, and plenty of services go from Newcastle to Gateshead. Maybe it could be non-stop from Wallsend to Gateshead. Stagecoach's 22 is killing GNE's North Tyneside network. Most people in Wallsend / Byker have a Stagecoach ticket. 42/42A is more popular in Wallsend in my experience. 1A/1B has been stable for years, but doesn't have great passenger numbers.
Why has that route always continued on to terminate at Gateshead rather than Newcastle? It used to do it in the days when it was the 301/302, but there has never seemed to be many people on between Gateshead and Newcastle, and there are loads of other services that cross the Tyne. Surprising it has went to Gateshead for so long.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
I'd like to see a few changes on the Coaster. Single deckers are probably adequate in normal times. The service could go through Byker along the route of the Stagecoach 12, and run non-stop from Byker Metro to Newcastle and terminate for connections to Gateshead Interchange and Metrocentre and beyond. Maybe run it as 1X at peak times, with deckers.

Some journeys could terminate at Wallsend. Shame they didn't keep a link at Cobalt, for alternative services to North Shields (310 and 335) and to Blyth (309).
I'd merge the 1A/1B with the 41,41 is dead round Howdon now anyway,or just revert the 41 back to the way the 17 used to run so the 41 would run Tynemouth Road,Ridley Avenue,Coniston Road,Hadrian Park,then have the 11 do the estates,its stupid what they done,they just couldnt help themselves
(22 May 2021, 12:15 pm)atlantean560 wrote [ -> ]Personally would like to see the Q3 changed to provide an evening service to wallsend,especially if the £1 evening fare is to be utilised

Ngl the other side of the route would probably be more popular especially if you redirected it to run by Osbourne Road instead since it pretty much duplicates the Metro which doesn't run in the evening between Newcastle and the Regent Centre. You've got a lot of students and also Gosforth High Street which has late night bars aswell to pick passengers up from, could be popular imo.

For the Coaster I'd be tempted to try and change it around a bit and have something like this.

Newcastle -> Gateshead -> Metro Centre services split off and seperate as they are.

Northern Side
1 - Current route between Newcastle and North Shields only (Every 30 Minutes, Single Deckers)
1A - Current route between Newcastle and Wallsend then 11 route to Whitley (Every 30 Minutes, Single Deckers)
19 - Remain the same
42/42A - Remain the same
309 - Remain the same
310 - Current route between Newcastle and North Shields extended to Whitley taking over the 1A/1B between North Shields and Whitley (Every 20 Minutes, Double Deckers)
311 - Change to old 305 between Newcastle and Wallsend replacing the 41 (Every 20 Minutes, Single Deckers - if possible)
Q3 - Extended to Hadrian Park via other side of the 41 route (Every 30 Minutes)

Haven't worked out the PVR but it shouldn't be too different if anything should be less but it makes the Little Coaster network which is useless have connections to further afield and Newcastle from places like Howdon, Willington Quay and The Royal Quays
X-lines X84/X85 should run slightly later into the day. The last buses run between Newbrough and Hexham only. Even just extending these for the full route woukd be enough to provide a later service by an hour or so.

QuayCity Q3 could gain popularity at both ends on an evening, with late night bars and restaurants and the new £1 evening fair. Gosforth is already served on an evening, with the Q3 running between Byker and Great Park on evenings. Q1/Q2 could do with a slight refresh.

Centurion 74 could do Newcastle - Denton Burn - West Denton - Chapel Park - Callerton - Stamfordham - Matfen - Hexham to include the Denton Hall Turret site of Hadrian's Wall. A new service could run the same route as far as Chapel Park. Maybe an hour or so after the 74, depending on demand.

What brand would fit the 35/35A?

A new brand for the X22, renumbered to 22 and the 25 to compliment the 21 seems a good strategy to market the links along the route.

Coaster services could be curtailed at Wallsend, and then a new Little Coasters service run between Wallsend and Newcastle, if there is demand.
Tbh u could make the 35/35A blackcats
Seeing as quite a few people are saying single deckers are probably adequate on 1A/1B Coaster Services, is there any other routes on GNE's network that are singles but should be upgraded. So then they could have the hybrids and the coaster whatever can be euro 6. Maybe 60 or 8/78?
(22 May 2021, 9:02 pm)logidoodah wrote [ -> ]Seeing as quite a few people are saying single deckers are probably adequate on 1A/1B Coaster Services, is there any other routes on GNE's network that are singles but should be upgraded. So then they could have the hybrids and the coaster whatever can be euro 6. Maybe 60 or 8/78?

Would be great to see the 8/78 upgraded, and maybe the 6 could be upgraded to improve reliability? Could the Quaylink Q1/Q2 get deckers?
(22 May 2021, 9:09 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote [ -> ]Would be great to see the 8/78 upgraded, and maybe the 6 could be upgraded to improve reliability? Could the Quaylink Q1/Q2 get deckers?
There's been deckers operating the Q1/2 before afew times in the past so can't see an issue with those routes being deckers.
(22 May 2021, 10:37 pm)GNE6312 wrote [ -> ]There's been deckers operating the Q1/2 before afew times in the past so can't see an issue with those routes being deckers.

Yeah, I remember. I wonder if they will become a full decker operation in the future. Would they keep the iconic yellow identity? Not sure if they are sticking with the yellow/purple colour scheme if they get refreshed or refurbished or allocated different vehicles. Maybe a slight change as the Q3 lost the green in favour of black and silver, maybe a similar design for Q1/Q2
(22 May 2021, 9:02 pm)logidoodah wrote [ -> ]Seeing as quite a few people are saying single deckers are probably adequate on 1A/1B Coaster Services, is there any other routes on GNE's network that are singles but should be upgraded. So then they could have the hybrids and the coaster whatever can be euro 6. Maybe 60 or 8/78?

Would like to see the 20 upgraded to double deckers on a 15 minute frequency, only running between Durham and Sunderland, and have the 60 extended from Sunderland to South Shields instead using the streetlites from service 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How about the 25? At the moment it's operated by a mixture of singles and doubles, but the route is an amalgamation of two routes that used to always have deckers (1 and X25).

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk