North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Service Suggestions v2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(31 Jul 2017, 9:46 am)V514DFT wrote [ -> ]Maybe extend the 40/41 to serve Percy Main and East Howdon would also be nice if the Residents of Hadrian Park had a bus to North Shields since the old peoples home has been re-built

Several years ago I wrote to GNE, complaining that the direct link between Hadrian Park and North Shields had been discontinued. This link had been possible with the then 300 service, which was the forerunner of today's 310. I also complained about the withdrawal of direct buses between North Shields and Blyth. I could not, and still cannot understand why GNE insist on creating long routes from the coast areas such as to Wrekenton, Kibblesworth and the recently-introduced 42A to Kingston Park via most of the north-west of North Tyneside at the expense of more local routes. It may suit their scheduling and vehicle allocation, but does not serve the local population adequately. Of course GNE's response was to point out connecting facilitites. Why, then do't they point out connecting facilities to these faraway places and concentrate on more local links, which are bound to attract more customers?
I agree with your points but to be fair its all bus companies doing it now,not just GNE,its all about ££££££££ these days,no company runs services out of kindness anymore,only time will tell if lost links get restored or ignored
But the people of Sunderland like cross city links.... Hence why we have loads, it works for some places but not all.

Nearly every Stagecoach Sunderland service is bar the 8, 20 and X24. 

Go North East also have a few of them.
Yes indeed. Gone are the days where you could get one bus to go from somewhere to somewhere else.

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk
(31 Jul 2017, 6:57 pm)Ex-conductor wrote [ -> ]Several years ago I wrote to GNE, complaining that the direct link between Hadrian Park and North Shields had been discontinued. This link had been possible with the then 300 service, which was the forerunner of today's 310. I also complained about the withdrawal of direct buses between North Shields and Blyth. I could not, and still cannot understand why GNE insist on creating long routes from the coast areas such as to Wrekenton, Kibblesworth and the recently-introduced 42A to Kingston Park via most of the north-west of North Tyneside at the expense of more local routes. It may suit their scheduling and vehicle allocation, but does not serve the local population adequately. Of course GNE's response was to point out connecting facilitites. Why, then do't they point out connecting facilities to these faraway places and concentrate on more local links, which are bound to attract more customers?

Extending the Coaster to Blyth would be one option but would require a long layover whether using the full or short Coaster boards. Also, drivers would most likely need to be under strict orders to ask all passengers boarding in Blyth for destinations to ensure that any vunlerable passengers intending to head to Bedlington Station / Ashington don't end up in the middle of Wallsend / Byker.

If extra Omnicities could be sourced, could GNE not exploit the market for a faster version of the 308, serving all stops between Blyth and Billy Mill then only calling at Norham Road and Willington Square? Could interwork with the Coaster in Blyth and offer a more reliable service (with no tight turnarounds) without needing a driver changeover at Norham Road making it a true express service. And to attract passengers on Lynn Road / Billy Mill / Norham Road and Willington Square who would need to rely on the 308 during evenings and Sundays, maybe a special reduced weekly ticket could be offered covering all stops between Billy Mill Lane and Newcastle to attract commuters during the morning / afternoon peaks.
(31 Jul 2017, 9:02 pm)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]Extending the Coaster to Blyth would be one option but would require a long layover whether using the full or short Coaster boards. Also, drivers would most likely need to be under strict orders to ask all passengers boarding in Blyth for destinations to ensure that any vunlerable passengers intending to head to Bedlington Station / Ashington don't end up in the middle of Wallsend / Byker.

If extra Omnicities could be sourced, could GNE not exploit the market for a faster version of the 308, serving all stops between Blyth and Billy Mill then only calling at Norham Road and Willington Square? Could interwork with the Coaster in Blyth and offer a more reliable service (with no tight turnarounds) without needing a driver changeover at Norham Road making it a true express service. And to attract passengers on Lynn Road / Billy Mill / Norham Road and Willington Square who would need to rely on the 308 during evenings and Sundays, maybe a special reduced weekly ticket could be offered covering all stops between Billy Mill Lane and Newcastle to attract commuters during the morning / afternoon peaks.

Since when do drivers have to tell passengers what stop they are at? They're there to drive safely and provide valid tickets, not be a tourist announcement script.

The difference would also be limited. Go north east gave away Ashington and those routes in exchange for Hexham, would be silly to try and go back to turf-waring in the very same areas. The councils wouldn't want it at all.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
(31 Jul 2017, 9:25 pm)Jamie M wrote [ -> ]Since when do drivers have to tell passengers what stop they are at? They're there to drive safely and provide valid tickets, not be a tourist announcement script.

The difference would also be limited. Go north east gave away Ashington and those routes in exchange for Hexham, would be silly to try and go back to turf-waring in the very same areas. The councils wouldn't want it at all.

What I meant was that with Arriva already operating a number 1 service in Blyth, GNE drivers would need to ask passengers boarding in Blyth where they intend to travel to if they're buying a ticket or got any form of a pass / key card etc.

They wouldn't need to announce the stops or let passengers know where to get off, they would just have to ask any passengers boarding in Blyth where they're going to make sure that any vunlerable passengers (elderly, visually impaired etc) don't end up in Wallsend / Byker if they were intending to head into Ashington / Bedlington.

Extending the Coaster to Blyth wouldn't rattle Arriva as such. All it would do is allow passengers from Tynemouth, Cullercoates and North Shields as well as other parts of North Tyneside to ride through to Blyth without needing to change onto the 309. Would prove very popular in the summer particularly with familes due to Ridley Park if the Coaster served Ridley Park rather then Renwick Road / Broadway like the 309. The express route mirroring the 308 and parts of the 309 might annoy Arriva but no market for an express service covering has been tried and tested bar Arriva not opting to re-route the 44 to mirror the 308 route only serving the key stops rather than serving Marden / New York.
(01 Aug 2017, 5:27 pm)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]What I meant was that with Arriva already operating a number 1 service in Blyth, GNE drivers would need to ask passengers boarding in Blyth where they intend to travel to if they're buying a ticket or got any form of a pass / key card etc.

They wouldn't need to announce the stops or let passengers know where to get off, they would just have to ask any passengers boarding in Blyth where they're going to make sure that any vunlerable passengers (elderly, visually impaired etc) don't end up in Wallsend / Byker if they were intending to head into Ashington / Bedlington.

I can't imagine either operator would care that much. We had 3 service X1s in Newcastle for a while and I don't think anyone indending for Sedgfield ended up in Blyth.

Chester is the worst for duplicate service numbers. There are 3 different service 1s - of which one is Stagecoach, one is Arriva and one is jointly operated by both. In addition there is a X1, 1A and a DB1, with destinations ranging from Liverpool to Wrexham.
(31 Jul 2017, 8:29 pm)big mac wrote [ -> ]Yes indeed. Gone are the days where you could get one bus to go from somewhere to somewhere else.

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk

Would work well in Washington if they split/merged the X1 into the Indigo Network, for example.

Birtley - Portmeads - Portobello - Barley Mow Estate - Ayton - Lambton - Washington Galleries - Springwell - Wrekenton - Gateshead - Newcastle

Newcastle - Gateshead - Wrekenton - Springwell - Donwell - Concord - Barmston - Washington Village - Biddick - Washington Galleries - Springwell - Wrekenton - Gateshead - Newcastle

Newcastle - Gateshead - Wrekenton - Springwell - Washington Galleries - Biddick - Fatfield - Harraton - Rickleton - Ayton - Lambton - Washington Galleries >> Back to Newcastle
X60 parkside-station road- new seaham-ryhope-tunstall bank estate- tunstall-doxford park-mill hill road-east herrington-shiney row- then direct to Washington galleries 

Black cats solo to be used to see if a success
(21 Aug 2017, 12:29 am)Acky81 wrote [ -> ]X60 parkside-station road- new seaham-ryhope-tunstall bank estate- tunstall-doxford park-mill hill road-east herrington-shiney row- then direct to Washington galleries 

Black cats solo to be used to see if a success

Perhaps if the service could operate via Doxford International at Peak times as commuters usually change buses at Ryhope from the 60/61 routes to the 39/39A. Also I have noticed that this route is similar to the Nexus 37 service, this idea may work or it may not.
(21 Aug 2017, 9:40 am)S830OFT wrote [ -> ]Perhaps if the service could operate via Doxford International at Peak times as commuters usually change buses at Ryhope from the 60/61 routes to the 39/39A. Also I have noticed that this route is similar to the Nexus 37 service, this idea may work or it may not.

I personally think it's great for seaham to have a link to doxford and Washington

arriva64

There used to be service prior to 2006 changes.

Service X90
Seaham-Ryhope-Doxford-washington-Newcastle
(23 Aug 2017, 5:58 pm)arriva64 wrote [ -> ]There used to be service prior to 2006 changes.

Service X90
Seaham-Ryhope-Doxford-washington-Newcastle

Should never of been axed

I think the x60 would work
I wonder if it would be worth extending the Allenheads journeys on the "Tynedale Links" 688 to Cowshill (around 8-10 minute journey) to connect with Weardale 101 to Stanhope and Bishop Auckland.

The current alternative route linking Allenheads and Cowshill is via Bishop Auckland, Newcastle and Hexham, so it would certainly reduce journey times between the two areas!
(01 Sep 2017, 9:54 am)BJ10VUS wrote [ -> ]I wonder if it would be worth extending the Allenheads journeys on the "Tynedale Links" 688 to Cowshill (around 8-10 minute journey) to connect with Weardale 101 to Stanhope and Bishop Auckland.

The current alternative route linking Allenheads and Cowshill is via Bishop Auckland, Newcastle and Hexham, so it would certainly reduce journey times between the two areas!

GNE seem very sensitive about entering Cumberland territory.

Just saying.

Does this reticence apply to Durham?
36S.
Runs on a Saturday morning only and ensures the board starting from Houghton just after 0900, is revenue earning between Chester and Houghton.

Omits Lumley and Avenue Vivienne, running along the main roads only.

As it stands, the bus runs light from Chester to Houghton, before dropping in at Houghton towards Sunderland.
It may as well pick up a few passengers along the way towards Houghton.
X8 - Stanley - Beamish - Pelton - Chester-le-Street - A1 Direct to Washington - Waterview Park - Enterprise Park - Hylton Riverside Retail Park - Sunderland

In order to improve reliability of the service 8 between Stanley and Sunderland, the service will operate non-stop between Chester-Le-Street and Washington Galleries cutting journey times by 12 Minutes across the route, the service will continue to operate every 30 minutes Monday to Saturdays and will be renumbered X8.

Passengers who use the current service 8 for stops at Fatfield, Harraton, Rickleton and Picktree Village can use new service 82/82A.

82/82A - Washington Galleries - Glebe - Harraton - Rickleton - Picktree Village - Chester-Le-Street - Pelton Fell - Grange Villa - Beamish - Pelton - Ouston - Birtley - Portobello - Ayton - Lambton - Washington Galleries

The existing 82 service will operate it's existing route between Washington Galleries and Birtley where it will head to Chester-Le-Street via Ouston and Beamish, before heading back to Washington Galleries via the current 8 route via Rickleton, Harraton and Fatfield. This will provide a circular service every 30 minutes in each direction Monday to Sundays.
Great that the X10 is now going to Dalton Park...

I would make one suggestion though.

We all know on it's busier days the A19 and it's approaches can get really clogged and backed up.

So when DP is busy

I suggest the X10 leaves the A19 at Seaton Lane and goes to Dalton Park via Deneside

X1A. I can't help thinking that it isn't the best use of resources.

If I remember correctly, the vehicle ran light from Picktree to NPower and then picked up a 921.
On a morning, it did some sort of X1A/921 in the opposite direction.
That stopped and obviously Chester have it now.

Would Chester be better off using the vehicle on a 21 or X21 to assist on the Durham Road corridor?
? Even reintroducing a version of the 726, so that those in Picktree who use it - still have a peak bus to/from Newcastle.
It is generally empty on an evening ex-Newcastle, once beyond the Galleries. But can pick up decent loads between those two points. If it extended beyond Fatfield towards Houghton or Shiney Row, I wonder if it would assist loads.

So:
21a
Newcastle - Chester via Picktree - runs 1x return peak journey via Low Fell, Birtley, Vigo Lane and Picktree.
Utilises Green Gemini.

X4
Newcastle - Houghton - runs 1x return peal journey via Old Durham Road, Galleries, Fatfield, Washington Highway, Shiney Row and current 4 route to Houghton.
No fixed vehicle allocation, so operates via Highway between Shiney and Fatfield incase decker needs to be allocated.