North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Service Suggestions v2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(03 Jul 2021, 2:20 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]If you go via the A1, harlow green, low fell, saltwell park, bensham & redhugh bridge, it takes about the same time as the X1 between the galleries and eldon square. You would also give people a direct bus to central station and saltwell park.
And get snared up in the roadworks commencing on the A1
(03 Jul 2021, 2:20 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]If you go via the A1, harlow green, low fell, saltwell park, bensham & redhugh bridge, it takes about the same time as the X1 between the galleries and eldon square. You would also give people a direct bus to central station and saltwell park.

(03 Jul 2021, 2:30 pm)JP6004 wrote [ -> ]And get snared up in the roadworks commencing on the A1

Even without the roadworks, the service is still likely to be delayed at the Mill House Roundabout both exiting and joining the A1 as it is currently a pinch point for traffic, especially during peak times. Once the roadworks are completed in 2025, congestion may ease slightly, but I don't think it will make any difference for those wishing to either exit or join the A1 at the Mill House Roundabout unless the entire road infrastructure in that area is revised.

Also, Low Fell can occasionally cause issues, as can Bensham Bank and the Redheugh Bridge (particularly on match days, for the latter), so taking all this into consideration, I cannot envisage where any saving of time would be significant enough to justify this suggestion.

As for the direct connections to Saltwell Park and Central Station from Washington, is there a commercial case for this? Saltwell Park is nice, but it is hardly a massive attraction for those living outside of Gateshead as parks of a similar nature are available across Tyne and Wear and the North East. Central Station, perhaps, but connections are available using other GNE buses as well as the Metro from Gateshead.
(03 Jul 2021, 1:56 pm)big mac wrote [ -> ]Did it not work because of reliability issues or not enough passengers?

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

Could have been both issues.
Very few on it whenever I used it, but obviously I wasn't on every run.
I imagine reliability was an issue at times. However the 194 was never the most reliable anyway. Even before the extension. 

Most people living on the 194 route south of Shiney Row had an express option.
Those in Washington may have perceived the 194 route slower (even though it is roughly the same journey time).
Then there's the metro factor from Heworth northwards.
(02 Jul 2021, 10:36 am)Washingtonian wrote [ -> ]Are these roadmaps taken from an old Washington timetable? I thought I remembered the old 177/8 serving the whole of Washington during that time. I had asked a while ago on the bygone era if someone had a timetable for these services and someone kindly uploaded one but I think it was quite a while before this. Also don't seem to remember the 298/9??? If you have any timetables would is be possible for you to upload them please when you get the time? No worries if not.

Thanks

The maps come from the reat TWPTE-produced network map of the whole of Tyne & Wear. These were available publicly until about 1993/94 when they were replaced by the smaller area maps. 

Here are the timetables for the services you requested:

[attachment=9838]
[attachment=9837]
[attachment=9839]
(04 Jul 2021, 11:38 am)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]The maps come from the reat TWPTE-produced network map of the whole of Tyne & Wear. These were available publicly until about 1993/94 when they were replaced by the smaller area maps. 

I vaguely remember the 291/292 (depending on direction) running in convoy with the W4, 5 & 6 between Donwell and The Galleries and vice versa. The only difference being that the Washington Minis went in to the estate and the 291/292 straight down Blue House Lane.
I'm sure timetables will be able to confirm either way.

I also remember needing the 294 one day from Heworth and mistakingly jumping on the 292 only not realising until it got to Usworth School/Northumbria Centre. Not being too familiar with that part of the 292 route at that time, it was a guessing game as to where it went or how long it would take to get to The Galleries.
(03 Jul 2021, 1:40 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]They've tried it a few times in its previous guise as the 194.
As handy as it was, it never seemed to work and it reverted back to terminating at Heworth.

Ditto the 191. That never lasted long either. Although that may have been down to frequency and it shadowing the 194 and 294 for a large portion of the route.

Yes I remember this around the early-mid 90s. I think the 194 was extended to Newcastle Newgate Street and I think this was to compete with Redby's 394 service or vice versa if I remember correctly.

(04 Jul 2021, 11:38 am)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]The maps come from the reat TWPTE-produced network map of the whole of Tyne & Wear. These were available publicly until about 1993/94 when they were replaced by the smaller area maps. 

Thank you very much! I really do appreciate your help! Shy  Cool

I thought Calvary Coaches ran the 297, unless it was a secured service through Nexus.
(04 Jul 2021, 11:53 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]I vaguely remember the 291/292 (depending on direction) running in convoy with the W4, 5 & 6 between Donwell and The Galleries and vice versa. The only difference being that the Washington Minis went in to the estate and the 291/292 straight down Blue House Lane.
I'm sure timetables will be able to confirm either way.

I also remember needing the 294 one day from Heworth and mistakingly jumping on the 292 only not realising until it got to Usworth School/Northumbria Centre. Not being too familiar with that part of the 292 route at that time, it was a guessing game as to where it went or how long it would take to get to The Galleries.

Yeah you are right about the old 291/2 route. From where I live the 291 was much quicker going to Heworth and a lot longer on the return journey, with the 292 much quicker coming back and a lot longer in the opposite direction.
Cobalt & Coast 311 extended to actually serve Cobalt and diverted from Jesmond to Gosforth, Fawdon and Kingston Park and then Newcastle, returning Newcastle - Kingston Park - Fawdon - Gosforth - Jesmond - Coast Road - Cobalt. 1 bus per hour.

Could the 33/33A be extended to Fawdon Metro seven days a week, following the Stagecoach 35 route?
I've a created a visual timetable booklet for a independent commercial network around Washington. 

Brands & Numbers
iToons (i1, I2 & i5)
Wearsider (124-126, 137-139)
Washington Links (201-210)
Seasider (522, 550-553)
Derwentsider (775)

East Gateshead, South Tyneside, West Gateshead, Derwentside, Sunderland, Newcastle, North Tyneside, Tynedale & Durham Designs coming soon.
X1 - Easington Lane - Hetton le Hole - Houghton le Spring - Newbottle - Herrington Burn - Shiney Row - Washington Galleries - Springwell Village - Wrekenton - QE Hospital - Gateshead - Newcastle Mon - Sat every 15 mins and Sun every 30 mins)

NEW SERVICE X4 (To be incorporated into Connections 4 brand) - Houghton le Spring - Fence Houses - Bournmoor - Shiney Row -(via Washington Highway A182) Fatfield Bridge - Fatfield Fallowfield Way - Glebe Bus Link - Washington Galleries - Albany - Concord - Usworth College - Leam Lane - Heworth Metro (Felling by-Pass) - Gateshead - Newcastle (Mon - Sat every 30 mins - evenings and Sundays every 60 mins)

Connections 4 - Houghton le Spring - Newbottle - Herrington Burn - Shiney Row - Penshaw - Fatfield Bridge - Fatfield Fallowfield Way - Glebe - Washington Galleries - Albany - Concord - Usworth College - Follingsby Park - Heworth (Mon - Sat every 30 mins - evenings and Sundays Every 60 mins)

Connections 4 and X4 would be 4 buses an hour Mon - Sat combined making the number 4 even more relevant.

New Service 22/23 (Commercially ran circular route incorperated into the Little Pinks brand) - Washington Galleries - Oxclose - Blackfell Thirlmoor - Concord Bus Station - Donwell - Springwell Village Heugh Hill - Eighton Banks - Wrekenton - Birtley Crematorium - Lansbury Drive - Birtley - Barley Mow Dorset Avenue - Vigo - Ayton - Lambton - Washington Galleries (Mon - Sat every 30 mins, evenings and Sundays every 60 mins)

NEW SERVICE 24 - Washington Galleries - Lambton - Wear Industrial Estate - Harraton - Rickleton - Barley Mow - Portmeads - Birtley - Northside Estate - Eighton Banks - Wrekenton - QE Hospital - Gateshead - Newcastle (Mon - Sat every 30 mins, evenings and Sundays every 60 mins) -

Service 925 to be withdrawn and service 25 rerouted from Chester le Street to Birtley via Durham Road

Service 82 (Little Pinks) - Rickleton - Harraton - Wear Industrial Estate - Ayton - Lambton - Washington Galleries - Glebe - Washington Village - Barmston Village Centre - Peel Retail Park - Spout Lane - Concord - Donwell - Usworth College - Leam Lane - Heworth Metro (Mon - Sat every 30 mins, eves and Sun every 60 mins, to include Barmston Waskerley Road)

Service 83/4 (New Circular route under Little Pinks Brand) - Washington Galleries - Biddick - Barmston Court - Barmston Waskerley Road - Peel Retail Park - Hertburn Ind Estate - Concord - Parsons - Blackfell Knoulberry - Oxclose - Washington Galleries (Mon - Sat every 30 mins, eves and Sun every 60 mins to include Barmston Village Centre)

Service 85/6 (New Circular route under Little Pinks Brand) - Washington Galleries - Glebe - Brady Square - Biddick School -Pattinson Industrial Estate - Teal Farm - Peel Retail Park - Sulgrave - Coach Road Estate - Concord - Donwell - Armstrong - Blackfell Thirlmoor - Oxclose - Washington Galleries
Really basic suggestion, but between Biddick and Barmston Court, route the 83 via Brady Square terminus. It shouldn't have an impact on timings.

[attachment=9845]
(07 Jul 2021, 8:23 am)Adrian wrote [ -> ]Really basic suggestion, but between Biddick and Barmston Court, route the 83 via Brady Square terminus. It shouldn't have an impact on timings.

The old W4 or W5 used to use the route you are suggesting for years, but I believe it was re-routed due to issues getting around the junction where T&I Bell Caterers are. With mini buses being bigger than they were in the 90s it was harder getting the buses through there. Plus with the junction being tight and being surrounded by buildings its difficult to know when vehicles are coming the other way, so they often have to reverse etc. Mind I see vans going through this junction quite often, so maybe if GNE were to order some smaller mini buses (Such the silver Mercedes Sprinters they have on crew shuttles) then that might work better.
(07 Jul 2021, 8:41 am)Washingtonian wrote [ -> ]The old W4 or W5 used to use the route you are suggesting for years, but I believe it was re-routed due to issues getting around the junction where T&I Bell Caterers are. With mini buses being bigger than they were in the 90s it was harder getting the buses through there. Plus with the junction being tight and being surrounded by buildings its difficult to know when vehicles are coming the other way, so they often have to reverse etc. Mind I see vans going through this junction quite often, so maybe if GNE were to order some smaller mini buses (Such the silver Mercedes Sprinters they have on crew shuttles) then that might work better.

I looked at Adrian's suggestion and could have sworn that the cut was used in the distant past. 
Couldn't remember 100% though. Glad you confirmed it did.

Get what you are saying about the turning and angles though. Not sure a Solo could get round that corner.
(07 Jul 2021, 10:12 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]I looked at Adrian's suggestion and could have sworn that the cut was used in the distant past. 
Couldn't remember 100% though. Glad you confirmed it did.

Get what you are saying about the turning and angles though. Not sure a Solo could get round that corner.
Not even a baby Solo?,theyre smaller,but they also look narrower,i dont know if its just my eyes playing tricks on me
(07 Jul 2021, 10:58 am)V514DFT wrote [ -> ]Not even a baby Solo?,theyre smaller,but they also look narrower,i dont know if its just my eyes playing tricks on me

No idea. The old Dodge's/Renaults got round, but there was less traffic about then and mounting a kerb was almost standard practice. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZDXdoZZnFsdP5QGc9
(07 Jul 2021, 11:04 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]No idea. The old Dodge's/Renaults got round, but there was less traffic about then and mounting a kerb was almost standard practice. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZDXdoZZnFsdP5QGc9
Is a solo bigger than an MPD, pretty sure they were allocated. The 86 at one point also terminated at barmston court.
I have taken a Solo SR around there a couple of times when starting from Brady Square......must admit your stomach is in your mouth when you take the corner!
(07 Jul 2021, 10:58 am)V514DFT wrote [ -> ]Not even a baby Solo?,theyre smaller,but they also look narrower,i dont know if its just my eyes playing tricks on me

I believe you can get a Solo in either a 'standard' width or a 'Slimline' which is narrower
(07 Jul 2021, 11:47 am)RM2186 wrote [ -> ]I have taken a Solo SR around there a couple of times when starting from Brady Square......must admit your stomach is in your mouth when you take the corner!

Talking of tight corners, did anyone ever drive a citaro arctic along Staneway (Leam Lane)
Worth noting that the Eighton Lodge Park and Ride will be up and running by 2025, be interesting to see how they manage that. I'm guessing the park and ride service will take the A1 straight to Newcastle