North East Buses

Full Version: What's annoying you today? V3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(31 Jul 2015, 6:37 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]That may have been for that day only, as the SMC would have been heaving!

If I remember correctly, there were only around fifteen enthusiasts that I could see.
(31 Jul 2015, 6:18 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]go to the management centre, past the metro towards the car park (past the pub and Costa). Ring the buzzer at the door, the person at the desk will ask you what you want to do, "take photos of the trains", and then they'll ask for your name (this is just for an evacuation, so they can check all the visitors are present). They'll issue you with a ticket which you show to the person at the gates, once you've finished you return the ticket to the office. Smile
See I hate doing anything like this, I can't bare going over and asking people for anything, seriously can't do it so I think if I wanted to go to Central Station for photos I'd want someone else with me as I can't do this.
(31 Jul 2015, 6:39 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]If I remember correctly, there were only around fifteen enthusiasts that I could see.

Really? When the Wansbeck came through last year there was about 25 or 30 people. Then about 10 people at Bedlington when I passed through on the X21!  Big Grin
(31 Jul 2015, 6:40 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]See I hate doing anything like this, I can't bare going over and asking people for anything, seriously can't do it so I think if I wanted to go to Central Station for photos I'd want someone else with me as I can't do this.

You just have to give it a try.  You dont get anyway in this world without asking.

When I was younger I was like you, but by christ I have changed now....people can vouch for that  Tongue
(31 Jul 2015, 6:43 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]Really? When the Wansbeck came through last year there was about 25 or 30 people. Then about 10 people at Bedlington when I passed through on the X21!  Big Grin

I remember seeing a couple who I can name; Andrew John Todd (blonde hair and a blue coat), Thomas Pye (think that's name) and then one in that group was a girl (which surprised me, at the risk of sounding sexist, it's primarily a boy's hobby at the end of the day). Kenco was standing on the other platform with a few others, then standing at the top was some who I don't know.
It's odd how certain hobbies - perfectly respectable ones - feel like something to be ashamed of, isn't it? I think it's because society has a tendency to ridicule people who don't quite conform to a particular standard of presentation and interests. Somehow, collecting mass produced pottery, lead crystal or handbags falls into the realms of acceptability and having an encyclopaedic knowledge of plants or artists or a knowledge of certain aspects of history is seen as something to be admired. Heck, if you're really wealthy you can collect Ferraris and become as famous for that as anything else you've done. Yet an interest in anything to do with buses or trains or transport in general is something often ridiculed and here's you guys admitting to occasionally feeling ashamed and experiencing people who work with you or live with sneering that they don't understand the attraction.

I'm quite glad my son has got into this one. He became intensely interested in coins for a while and learnt an awful lot about them - would impress people by telling them whether their pound coin was real or fake. It was a rather insular interest, though and he tied himself in knots with it. The bus interest is a lot healthier for him, I think. It started with our occasional days out and he took an interest in the Go Northeast liveries. He started off printing off and assembling paperbuses from the ron and ton website, did some more reading, collected pictures he'd found, started collecting timetables and so on. Now we try to visit somewhere new each weekend - he and his brother appreciate the time apart and he's a lot more relaxed than when they're together (I'm ready to hit the wine, tonight, after a day at home with them both bickering, goading and sniping!) The fact that we get out is good for him, though I do have to hold his hand in bus stations, sometimes, or else he'd end up under one trying to get a look at al the registration numbers! He suffers with anxiety a lot and struggles with crowded places, but the fact that he loves the mode of transport helps him to work on keeping his cool (though he lost his rag in Whitby, the other week, because the X93 was full of other kids who were rather noisy and we'd already had to stand most of the way on the X7.)

I'm sure the buses will take a back seat to something else, at some point, but hopefully it'll be something else that's multifaceted. He's done some geocaching with school and enjoyed that, so we might do some of that when his brother's easier to take to places and a bit less unpredictable.
(31 Jul 2015, 6:45 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]You just have to give it a try.  You dont get anyway in this world without asking.

When I was younger I was like you, but by christ I have changed now....people can vouch for that 

It's not that easy for me to ask for anything, my autism holds me back from doing so, it really is a problem for me with many things.

If anyone would go along with me I might do it but it's not going to happen if I'm on my own.
(31 Jul 2015, 6:51 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]It's not that easy for me to ask for anything, my autism holds me back from doing so, it really is a problem for me with many things.

If anyone would go along with me I might do it but it's not going to happen if I'm on my own.

I would come along, but I don't think my mam will want me at Central station after the Quaylink launch, especially when I'll have to pay a full child fare to get to Newcastle at 8:45  Dodgy
(31 Jul 2015, 6:45 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]You just have to give it a try.  You dont get anyway in this world without asking.

When I was younger I was like you, but by christ I have changed now....people can vouch for that  Tongue

I order first at KFC in Penrith. Cashier: ''hello, what can I get for you?'' - ''erm, what he had, times two''.  Big Grin
(31 Jul 2015, 6:51 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]It's not that easy for me to ask for anything, my autism holds me back from doing so, it really is a problem for me with many things.

That's not uncommon, either. My son clams up completely with strangers (once he knows you, he'll let you know exactly how he feels about something, in no uncertain terms!)

Does having a written list of things to do (including things to ask for) help you? If you clam up, you then have something to busy yourself with to cover your embarrassment and point to if the words really don't come.
South Shields McDonald's toilets being closed and I need a wee
(31 Jul 2015, 7:00 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]That's not uncommon, either. My son clams up completely with strangers (once he knows you, he'll let you know exactly how he feels about something, in no uncertain terms!)

Does having a written list of things to do (including things to ask for) help you? If you clam up, you then have something to busy yourself with to cover your embarrassment and point to if the words really don't come.

No idea, never tried it.

Usually fine in places like Greggs but struggle in other situations where I have to ask things.
(31 Jul 2015, 7:40 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]No idea, never tried it.

Usually fine in places like Greggs but struggle in other situations where I have to ask things.

Probably because you know what to ask for in Greggs - it's a transaction you're familiar with and you know what to expect from it. And if you don't feel like speaking, you can grab something from the fridge, hand over your cash and escape.

I bet Subway would be a different story!

(and for full disclosure, both of my boys have ASD and I have enough traits that, despite seeming articulate and together, I fall apart, some days and need to do no more than sit in my armchair, hiding behind my laptop. Sometimes the day starts full of promise and I'll set out for a leisurely kid-free morning in Durham, only dash around in 30 minutes flat and get straight home again, relieved to not have to speak to another person for several hours but safe in the knowledge that I now have enough of the correct flavour of M&S hot cross buns in the house to stave off early morning meltdowns over that particular matter for the next few days.)
(31 Jul 2015, 8:31 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]Probably because you know what to ask for in Greggs - it's a transaction you're familiar with and you know what to expect from it. And if you don't feel like speaking, you can grab something from the fridge, hand over your cash and escape.

I bet Subway would be a different story!

(and for full disclosure, both of my boys have ASD and I have enough traits that, despite seeming articulate and together, I fall apart, some days and need to do no more than sit in my armchair, hiding behind my laptop. Sometimes the day starts full of promise and I'll set out for a leisurely kid-free morning in Durham, only dash around in 30 minutes flat and get straight home again, relieved to not have to speak to another person for several hours but safe in the knowledge that I now have enough of the correct flavour of M&S hot cross buns in the house to stave off early morning meltdowns over that particular matter for the next few days.)

I'm like that sometimes, just want to stay indoors forever, happy to be sitting on my computer, I have mental health problems, something similar to BPD...

In my case I have to go out everyday as I am on medication that requires me to goto Seaham everyday
(31 Jul 2015, 8:45 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]I'm like that sometimes, just want to stay indoors forever, happy to be sitting on my computer, I have mental health problems, something similar to BPD...

In my case I have to go out everyday as I am on medication that requires me to goto Seaham everyday

Being obligated to go out is good in a way. I end up walking 3 miles a day in term time, to get my youngest to school and, even when the weather is dire (as it often is here - our village seems to have its own climate, as it's so high up) I feel better for it, even when my back's locked up and my knees burning. I sometimes wear my sunglasses and stare at my feet, though, to avoid seeing certain people who will want to talk at me for 10 minutes. I'm a solitary person, but love being outdoors. I found it easier to be solitary outdoors when I lived in Gateshead than in my village, where people seem to know my business before I do!
(31 Jul 2015, 7:05 pm)Diamond One wrote [ -> ]South Shields McDonald's toilets being closed and I need a wee

Just scrolling through the thread as it has been active today and that had just cracked me up Big Grin Rolleyes

Me thinks we need to have a forum meet at some point so everyone can get to know everyone and then hopefully share experiences etc
(31 Jul 2015, 9:16 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]Me thinks we need to have a forum meet at some point so everyone can get to know everyone and then hopefully share experiences etc

Trying to think of how many forum members I've met on my travels... Dan, Adrian, Jimmi, Adam Y, Adam, citaro5284, Lee, Bazza, mb134, I'm sure there are a few others but it's twenty past ten and I am tired. Sorry I find I missed you out. On my own tomorrow. Tongue
(31 Jul 2015, 9:16 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]Me thinks we need to have a forum meet at some point so everyone can get to know everyone and then hopefully share experiences etc
That's a good idea...I would be up for that if someone wants to organise it
I would love to meet more members of the forum in person but my autism prevents me from going over and talking to anyone but if people come over to me I am not so bad although I am a little nervous at first. Often seen some of you out and about but have been unable to go over and to you and it can really annoy me.