North East Buses

Full Version: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quick question: with an Explorer, could I use Northern Rail trains between the MetroCentre and Newcastle, Heworth and Newcastle, etc?

It's just I find the Network One website a bit confusing.

Thanks.
(01 Mar 2015, 3:24 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Quick question: with an Explorer, could I use Northern Rail trains between the MetroCentre and Newcastle, Heworth and Newcastle, etc?

Thanks.

Yeah you can use them from Blaydon to Sunderland Smile
(01 Mar 2015, 3:26 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Yeah you can use them from Blaydon to Sunderland Smile

Thanks.
(01 Mar 2015, 3:24 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Quick question: with an Explorer, could I use Northern Rail trains between the MetroCentre and Newcastle, Heworth and Newcastle, etc?

Thanks.
I am sure tbe explorer is only valjd between Newcastle and Sunderland on Northern Trains
(01 Mar 2015, 3:28 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]I am sure tbe explorer is only valjd between Newcastle and Sunderland on Northern Trains

No, you can use them to Blaydon. 
(01 Mar 2015, 3:28 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]I am sure tbe explorer is only valjd between Newcastle and Sunderland on Northern Trains

Leaflet says Sunderland to Newcastle, but the website says Sunderland to Blaydon, in the footer.

Because hardly any trains stop at Blaydon - i could possibly see why you have been led to believe that they are only valid between Newcastle and Sunderland.
I've used an Explorer ticket on the train between Sunderland and Metrocentre many a time so you should be fine.
(01 Mar 2015, 12:29 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]I thought I would be able to get a ticket which I can use on the X2, and just get a £1.10 day ticket to get the 1 back.

Thanks for your help.

The £6.40 Durham District ticket is valid throughout on the X2 to Newcastle, though I'm not sure whether you can purchase it in Newcastle? 
(01 Mar 2015, 5:03 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]The £6.40 Durham District ticket is valid throughout on the X2 to Newcastle, though I'm not sure whether you can purchase it in Newcastle? 

I'm not sure - if you can use it, I don't see why you couldn't purchase it though? 
It's like the £7 Durham County day ticket is valid all over (Darlington, Middlesbrough, Sunderland etc) but I'm not sure you could purchase it in those towns. Just like concessionary passes with carer addition, they can travel from Durham to other areas but can't travel back for free
(01 Mar 2015, 5:09 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]It's like the £7 Durham County day ticket is valid all over (Darlington, Middlesbrough, Sunderland etc) but I'm not sure you could purchase it in those towns. Just like concessionary passes with carer addition, they can travel from Durham to other areas but can't travel back for free

Ah okay thats a bit confusing!

I might just get a £7.50 All Zones Day Ticket then, as it's only 50p difference.

Cheers Smile
(01 Mar 2015, 5:10 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Ah okay thats a bit confusing!

I might just get a £7.50 All Zones Day Ticket then, as it's only 50p difference.

Cheers Smile

£7.70 the all zone ticket
(01 Mar 2015, 5:09 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]It's like the £7 Durham County day ticket is valid all over (Darlington, Middlesbrough, Sunderland etc) but I'm not sure you could purchase it in those towns. Just like concessionary passes with carer addition, they can travel from Durham to other areas but can't travel back for free

It is valid to purchase in Sunderland.

A young girl purchased one on the X21 the other week and she had to point to the options on the ETM as the driver had no idea what the ticket was or how to issue it.

Depends where your travelling to/from. Tyne and Wear, Durham, Darlington and Northumberland issued cards are available to/from all the above areas. 
Out of pure boredom, for next week's review - where would anyone like to see me visit?

If I get a handful, I may start taking requests each week...Angel
(01 Mar 2015, 6:19 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Out of pure boredom, for next week's review - where would anyone like to see me visit?

Berwick-upon-Tweed, Carlisle, Middlesbrough... Get ya sel away on an All Zones Arriva day ticket! Wink 
(01 Mar 2015, 6:19 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Out of pure boredom, for next week's review - where would anyone like to see me visit?

It'll be like the new Ross Kemp on Gangs this...

Marcus on buses: young enthusiast from Chester Le Street travels the most dangerous areas of the region, in search of an Olympian or Lime branded renown.

Purely because I like to see your massive reviews, and when you complain Wink then maybe Newcastle, or further north, possibly for some journeys on MAX/Sapphire to Ashington, Blyth or Morpeth, and if you do get to Blyth, there'll be a B5 waiting (possibly, it is Blyth) to take you back on a 308 Wink I know how much you like GNE's after all Smile 

What I was hinting at with the "complain" point Wink
#X22 - Newcastle, Haymarket to Regent Centre Metro - (12:45 --- 12:55) - ANE 7528 - Dennis Trident 2/Alexander Enviro400

I've never been a fan of these E400s, mainly because of the refurb. They just don't feel nice inside, bit too furistic for some reason I can't explain. At least it was only 10 minutes, if I'd had it all the way to Ashington I would have gone insane. Some people say the 21s are unbearable - spend 10 minutes on one of these and you'll lose the will to live!!

#X10 - Regent Centre Metro to Newcastle, Haymarket - (13:00 --- 13:09) - ANE 7616 - VDL DB300/Wright Gemini 2
Better than 7528, but I still can't get my head around these MAXs and Sapphires up in Newcastle - they just aren't what I'm used to and I don't like them. The seats are unbearably uncomfortable, and they just aren't nice imo.

A tour of the suburbs of Western Gateshead.

Chopwell, High Spen, Rowlands Gill, Blaydon, Winlaton, Ryton, Crawcrook and Greenside.

Use GCT where there are no direct GNE links. Venture down to Clara Vale or even up to Burnopfield and back while touring the estates of Rowlands Gill and Highfield.