North East Buses

Full Version: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(03 Apr 2015, 5:04 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]So, Northumberland is definitely on the cards for tomorrow. Can't decide how to start my day though. I'm thinking of a 21 through to Durham, the 128 to Beamish, and then the 28 to Newcastle (which comes minutes later) before making my way to Blyth, then across to Ashington and back.

Don't know what ticket you're getting or how the timings would work but how about something like this:

8 or 78 to Stanley
X43 to Metrocentre
Train to Newcastle (or to Blaydon if you're lucky - then a bus from Blaydon to Newcastle Central Station)
Metro to Whitley Bay
308 or 309 to Blyth
1 to Ashington
X21 or X22 to Regent Centre
Metro to Kingston Park
X47 to Newcastle
21 or X25 to Chester
(03 Apr 2015, 5:14 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]Don't know what ticket you're getting or how the timings would work but how about something like this:

8 or 78 to Stanley
X43 to Metrocentre
Train to Newcastle (or to Blaydon if you're lucky - then a bus from Blaydon to Newcastle Central Station)
Metro to Whitley Bay
308 or 309 to Blyth
1 to Ashington
X21 or X22 to Regent Centre
Metro to Kingston Park
X47 to Newcastle
21 or X25 to Chester

Thanks for the suggestion. But, I've often found my days work most successfully if I have no set plan other than a few connections to start with. Smile
I'm off on a bus trip again tomorrow! Steering clear of Chester this time though, although if I want to go to Durham I may have to pass through but I'll close me eyes)...

No bloody Wetherspoons either, that cost me about 90 minutes of valuable time last week just going for a breakfast!!!

I'm wanting some Arriva Enviro 400s and deckers in general north of Newcastle. Also require a MAX Omnicity so I'm hoping one drops on the X14, 15 or 18!
Might go to Durham also and have a gander at some Pulsars down there Smile

On a side note, has anyone been on the X15/18 further than, say, Morpeth recently? I might do a trip to Berwick or Alnwick at some point (not tomorrow though) but don't want to if it's a sh*te and tedious journey for several hours!
(03 Apr 2015, 5:25 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]I'm off on a bus trip again tomorrow! Steering clear of Chester this time though, although if I want to go to Durham I may have to pass through but I'll close me eyes)...

No bloody Wetherspoons either, that cost me about 90 minutes of valuable time last week just going for a breakfast!!!

I'm wanting some Arriva Enviro 400s and deckers in general north of Newcastle. Also require a MAX Omnicity so I'm hoping one drops on the X14, 15 or 18!

On a side note, has anyone been on the X15/18 further than, say, Morpeth recently? I might do a trip to Berwick or Alnwick at some point (not tomorrow though) but don't want to if it's a sh*te and tedious journey for several hours!

Well that's me and you not friends anymore! Tongue
(03 Apr 2015, 5:15 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Thanks for the suggestion. But, I've often found my days work most successfully if I have no set plan other than a few connections to start with. Smile

Just trying to offer an alternative way of getting into Newcastle. Once there you can ignore the rest of my suggestion!  
(03 Apr 2015, 5:25 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]I'm off on a bus trip again tomorrow! Steering clear of Chester this time though, although if I want to go to Durham I may have to pass through but I'll close me eyes)...

The 1233 departure from Haymarket is usually a Omnicity (X15).
The X18 is a pretty nice route. You could get the X15 to Alnwick, then a X18 to Widdrington, then either a 1 or 20 to Ashington if timings work?

Aye, I get the X18 down from Berwick frequently, and it's pretty nice, takes 3 and a half hours from Morpeth though, so I'd suggest maybe getting the X15 from Morpeth to Alnwick and the X18 up from there? Would still take 2 hours from Alnwick like Wink 
Cool, thanks Tom and mb134. could well do that at some point. Re the 1233 off Haymarket, might try that tomorrow but definitely won't be going on an Omnicity to Alnwick on the day that's for sure! Smile
(03 Apr 2015, 5:25 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]On a side note, has anyone been on the X15/18 further than, say, Morpeth recently? I might do a trip to Berwick or Alnwick at some point (not tomorrow though) but don't want to if it's a sh*te and tedious journey for several hours!

I was thinking of doing this closer to the summer, but perhaps by getting a train up to Berwick, and then the bus back down to Newcastle.
Marcus,
Use the X22 from Ashington to Newcastle, the X21 follows the 1 route all the way back to Bedlington Station.

The X20 express leaves at xx43 mins past each hour.

You may consider waking up early as there is a steam train passing through Ashington tomorrow.
(03 Apr 2015, 6:17 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote [ -> ]Marcus,
Use the X22 from Ashington to Newcastle, the X21 follows the 1 route all the way back to Bedlington Station.

The X20 express leaves at xx43 mins past each hour.

You may consider waking up early as there is a steam train passing through Ashington tomorrow.

I was planning on using the 1 between Blyth and Ashington, can you tell me what it's usual allocation is please? Smile
The 1 should be allocated an MPD, but it's often a Commander, and sometimes a Pulsar.
Marcus, if you want pics of the steam, I've got bad news.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U5...4/advanced

WCRC have been suspended by Network Rail. Sad
(03 Apr 2015, 6:29 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote [ -> ]Marcus, if you want pics of the steam, I've got bad news.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U5...4/advanced

WCRC have been suspended by Network Rail. Sad

Yeah, I had a look on RTT for it after you said, shame. Would have been a nice photo!
(03 Apr 2015, 5:26 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Well that's me and you not friends anymore! Tongue

You know its for the best Tongue 
(03 Apr 2015, 6:47 pm)Robert wrote [ -> ]You know its for the best Tongue 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXx53w5PLro

Big Grin
Decided to kick-start my day tomorrow with a 78 through to Sunderland, then the Metro to Newcastle from there. I'll be on an Explorer. Smile
(03 Apr 2015, 7:12 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Decided to kick-start my day tomorrow with a 78 through to Sunderland, then the Metro to Newcastle from there. I'll be on an Explorer. Smile

I'll try and get on the same #1 as you, but only if WCR are telling the truth about the steam.

Nah, I'll be there to see you  Smile
(03 Apr 2015, 7:17 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote [ -> ]but only if WCR are telling the truth about the steam.

Of course it's truthful, Network Rail have banned them from the network following pretty damning evidence of compromising safety on the rail network. Had the Tangmere charter ran a minute early (90 seconds I think it was) it would've had a FGW HST plough into the side of it at linespeed. This with various other safety concerns (such as official documentation regarding safety-critical workers' duties and responsibilities plus concerns about driver assessments for example) left Network Rail with no chance to let it slide before something serious happened.

Yes it's a shame WCRC aren't operating but I think a multiple fatality disaster would be much more of a shame, especially if it could've been easily avoided.
(03 Apr 2015, 7:59 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Of course it's truthful, Network Rail have banned them from the network following pretty damning evidence of compromising safety on the rail network. Had the Tangmere charter ran a minute early (90 seconds I think it was) it would've had a FGW HST plough into the side of it at linespeed. This with various other safety concerns (such as official documentation regarding safety-critical workers' duties and responsibilities plus concerns about driver assessments for example) left Network Rail with no chance to let it slide before something serious happened.

Yes it's a shame WCRC aren't operating but I think a multiple fatality disaster would be much more of a shame, especially if it could've been easily avoided.

That explains everything to me, thanks Sean! Smile