North East Buses

Full Version: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Had a mini outing this afternoon, here's what went down...

1311 17 Newton Aycliffe, Meadowfield Way - Newton Aycliffe, Greenwell Road (The Eden: YE52FHP)
Decided to have a ride on the 17 again, so after a fairly gentle walk to Meadowfield Way, I boarded the bus with YE52FHP being allocated today which is the usual bus on the 17 although V470GBF has been filling in for the last few weeks. Not a bad little bus and a pretty nice route to the town centre. Bailed at Greenwell Road and walked to Churchill House for my next bus...

1321 7 Newton Aycliffe, Churchill House - Darlington, Tubwell Row (ANE 7535)
Next a pretty standard journey to Darlington on this Enviro 400, although I like the 7 as it doesn't go right round all the estates in Aycliffe like the 5/5A does although that does has it advantages. Before I knew it I arrived in Darlington where I bought a Fred Perry T-shirt as I'm a Fred Perry clothing whore and then I went to HMV and bought some albums by Animal Collective, Jack Garratt and Will Varley.

1401 84 Darlington, Tubwell Row - Cockfield, Welcome Inn (Scarlet Band: YJ55YGO)
Next journey was one I haven't done in absolutely ages, in fact the last time I did the 84 it was still ran by Arriva and it ran to Bishop Auckland, not Barnard Castle. Anyway this is a canny route with some nice scenery. YJ55YGO is a fantastic little bus as I think it's a Cummins engined Solo which sound so much nicer and provide a much smoother ride than the Mercedes engined Solos do I think, still sadly miss these Solo's running round Newton Aycliffe. YJ55YGO has recently been repainted into the fleet livery having previously operated with a smart special livery to commentate their 90th anniversary back in 2011, of course before that it was on the Durham Park and Ride.

1440 6 Cockfield, Welcome Inn - Bishop Auckland Bus Station (ANE 1531)
Whilst waiting for this bus in Cockfield I had some old woman talking to me about how she hates some people in the village and how she wants to go to Scotland, was pleased when the bus arrived so this conversation could end. This section of the 6 route is pretty nice (excluding Woodhouse Close Estate) and this batch of Pulsars seem quite nice. Was a bit tricky getting round Woodhouse Close due to badly parked cars picking up kids at school.

1520 56 Bishop Auckland Bus Station - Ferryhill Market Place (ANE 1325)
Was hoping for a Lowlander but got lumbered with this, oh well at least it wasn't a Solo! I think these Enviro 200's perform pretty well on this route and it was a pretty nice journey although the seats aren't great and it was a bit dirty inside.

1553 8 Ferryhill Market Place - Newton Aycliffe, Churchill House (ANE 4656)
Decided that I'd wait for the 8 back to Aycliffe and I'm glad I did as it chucked up the unusual allocation of MAX X66/X67 Omnicity 4656, weirdly there has been a few MAX Omnicity's on here recently, I had 4649 a few months back. Rather quiet passenger wise and I got my favourite seat by the emergency exit door. Quite enjoyed my journey on this as it added some unexpected variety to my outing, also meant I could get a photo before boarding, got one when I got off as well but it didn't turn out so great.

Quite enjoyed this little jaunt this afternoon, tomorrow I'm going hunting for Lolyne's and possibly some Lowlander's as well. Thanks for reading.
was gonna go to Hexham today but had to get a new Iphone cable and do a few jobs however i will end up going sometime soon
(20 Feb 2016, 10:56 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Decent one that,

Didn't the driver get sick of you? Wink

He did like, the next day he asked why the f**k I spent three hours on his bus...  Wink
(22 Feb 2016, 7:28 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Haven't really had a chance to get this typed up before now.

I think I have mentioned before that my job has given me the opportunity to sample all sorts of stuff around the country.
Apart from the odd bash here and there and using the bus for a purpose, I hadn't had that many of what I would call 'a proper ride out' up here in the NE for a while.

So I decided to buy a 3zone+ and hammer it to shreds.

There were no rules... Apart from the following:
* To have a ride on routes I hadn't sampled before.
* To finish off routes I hadn't completed before (either in a oner or in sections).
* To not jump on and off, travelling back and forth on different services, just to get haulage.
* To not visit the same town/interchange more than once.

The day started off well and I got some decent miles on the clock.

As the day progressed, I realised that on each of the services I used - it was a different vehicle type.

So the list of rules were added to!
* I wasn't to use the same vehicle type twice. Which was going to be difficult if I wanted to get home.

It was quite a successful day.
I got two brands ticked off.
I managed to complete three routes completely in one go.
I managed to add to two routes that I had used previously - one being completed and the other 2/3 finished as opposed to the initial 1/3.
I managed to ride (in no particular order): Citaro, B9, Streetlite, Ex-London  President, Omnicity, Omnidekka, Solo SR, Solar and a B5 Hybrid.
Unfortunately, due to the cold weather and tiredness setting in, I gave up and got on my second Merc of the day and head home, rather than extend the day.

I was hoping for a Loylne, native President or Olympian when up in the Derwentside area. I didn't quite manage it though.

That's a very good idea actually, certainly seems like it would add excitement to the trip (especially the 'only one use of each vehicle type' rule), may have to steal it someday when I've got nothing to worry about Wink
(23 Feb 2016, 12:27 am)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]He did like, the next day he asked why the f**k I spent three hours on his bus...  Wink
Haha, did he not query when you got off/returned to him at each terminus to buy a new ticket?
(23 Feb 2016, 8:09 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]That's a very good idea actually, certainly seems like it would add excitement to the trip (especially the 'only one use of each vehicle type' rule), may have to steal it someday when I've got nothing to worry about Wink
Haha, did he not query when you got off/returned to him at each terminus to buy a new ticket?

I may try and do a whole day where I don't try and use the same vehicle type but with some of the allocations I have, it may be tricky.

One thing I try to do on many of my outings is to try and not use the same route twice in one day, for example if I head to Sunderland I would do: 21/X21 to Sunderland - 20/20A to Durham and then the 7 back to Newton Aycliffe (although there is usually more buses and routes than that). Often seems to be done in a loop formation.
(23 Feb 2016, 8:09 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]That's a very good idea actually, certainly seems like it would add excitement to the trip (especially the 'only one use of each vehicle type' rule), may have to steal it someday when I've got nothing to worry about Wink

Must admit, it did get harder as the day went by. Particularly with the other rules.
If you plan it, then I suppose it could work (assuming there are no odd allocations), but the spontaneity of not planning where I was going, added the element of surprise. Planning everything would take the enjoyment out of it - for me anyway.
@Andreos1 - I'd done something similar last year. I had started and finished in Washington, but went via #8 - Sunderland, #22 - Peterlee, #21 - Sedgefield, #X12 - Durham, #15 - Consett, #X71 - Newcastle, #X1 - Washington. 

Not a lot of different buses/routes, but a good 100mi covered!
(23 Feb 2016, 8:09 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Haha, did he not query when you got off/returned to him at each terminus to buy a new ticket?

I was on an all day ticket haha
(23 Feb 2016, 8:31 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Must admit, it did get harder as the day went by. Particularly with the other rules.
If you plan it, then I suppose it could work (assuming there are no odd allocations), but the spontaneity of not planning where I was going, added the element of surprise. Planning everything would take the enjoyment out of it - for me anyway.

I agree that planning would take away enjoyment, think I'd just go for it, and see where I got to! (Getting home may be problematic if I stuck to the one vehicle rule 100% though, unless Arriva threw up an odd allocation on the 43/X21)
(24 Feb 2016, 6:22 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]I agree that planning would take away enjoyment, think I'd just go for it, and see where I got to! (Getting home may be problematic if I stuck to the one vehicle rule 100% though, unless Arriva threw up an odd allocation on the 43/X21)

Get a Gemini from toon to Blyth, MPD on 2 from Blyth to Bedlington Wink

Problem solved Tongue
(24 Feb 2016, 9:03 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]Get a Gemini from toon to Blyth, MPD on 2 from Blyth to Bedlington Wink

Problem solved Tongue

I have strong feelings for Gemini's and MPD's, all of them bad Wink

Not to mention I don't live on the 2 route, so I'd have a canny walk, my options would be the 43/44, or the X21, all would include a walk (but not as large as the 2)  

I could go for the 44, as its a route I've never done before (takes forever!), however if I was up for it, I'd walk a few miles and get the 19, as that's another one I've never been on.
(23 Feb 2016, 8:38 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]I was on an all day ticket haha

Did he never come up and ask? (assuming you sat upstairs there...)
Must say my most interesting and 'fun' Explorer bash was chasing all types of Mercedes Citaro that GNE had. At the time it was TEN, Cobalt Clipper, Crusader, Silver Arrows and Blaydon Racers. Ended up missing out on a Silver Arrows one as two buses I had planned for were red spares. That was pretty good to plan too!

Should try another one soon but perhaps not limiting it to GNE.
(24 Feb 2016, 9:51 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Must say my most interesting and 'fun' Explorer bash was chasing all types of Mercedes Citaro that GNE had. At the time it was TEN, Cobalt Clipper, Crusader, Silver Arrows and Blaydon Racers. Ended up missing out on a Silver Arrows one as two buses I had planned for were red spares. That was pretty good to plan too!

All solos would be fun. Could cover GNE, Arriva and a whole load of independents and secured services over pretty much the whole region.
One random idea I thought of the other day to do one Saturday was to catch the first bus from Aycliffe to either Darlington or Durham at around 7am and stay out for as long as possible, the last bus being the 7 at 23:15 from Darlington and Durham Bus Station. If I'm stupid enough I may actually attempt this at some point, possibly in the summer when there is more hours of daylight for photos. A typical Saturday outing usually runs between roughly 8am and 7pm, although this Saturday I'm thinking of doing Carlisle so it will most certainly be longer than that!
(24 Feb 2016, 10:00 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]All solos would be fun. Could cover GNE, Arriva and a whole load of independents and secured services over pretty much the whole region.

You definitely could. It would present one hell of a challenge but it's not impossible if planned right.

I'm just not sure if I could cope with a day full of Solos though...!
(24 Feb 2016, 10:09 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]You definitely could. It would present one hell of a challenge but it's not impossible if planned right.

Could try a Renown day.
(24 Feb 2016, 10:09 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]You definitely could. It would present one hell of a challenge but it's not impossible if planned right.

I've done loads of Dales & District outings so I'm certainly used to them, it's only possible for me to only ride Solos if I do it on an evening when the 5A is allocated Solos, on Sundays when the 8 is allocated Solos or an odd appearance of a Solo on a daytime service through Aycliffe.
(24 Feb 2016, 9:51 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Must say my most interesting and 'fun' Explorer bash was chasing all types of Mercedes Citaro that GNE had. At the time it was TEN, Cobalt Clipper, Crusader, Silver Arrows and Blaydon Racers. Ended up missing out on a Silver Arrows one as two buses I had planned for were red spares. That was pretty good to plan too!

Racking my brains and I don't think you would be able to an all day 'only Citaro bash' now - with the Deptford and Stanley examples jumping to mind as being kept well away from the rest of them.
(24 Feb 2016, 10:12 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I've done loads of Dales & District outings so I'm certainly used to them, it's only possible for me to only ride Solos if I do it on an evening when the 5A is allocated Solos, on Sundays when the 8 is allocated Solos or an odd appearance of a Solo on a daytime service through Aycliffe.

I'd probably have to get a lift to the nearest bus stations to do it, or at least to Belmont P&R! We get the odd scarlet band solo through the village, but it's not guaranteed and is virtually never on a Saturday.