North East Buses

Full Version: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(25 Feb 2015, 10:24 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Thats a good Idea Tom, then pay for single each way from Ashington to Thorntons on the 30.

Yeah, and I can't see the 30 being too much?
The 19 would probably be £5.70 as that is how much it is from Shields. 
Adam Malarkey - the Phoenix 30 adult single fare is 60p, you will have to walk from N/S Colliery to Thorntons, approx 3 minutes.
(26 Feb 2015, 2:18 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote [ -> ]Adam Malarkey - the Phoenix 30 adult single fare is 60p, you will have to walk from N/S Colliery to Thorntons, approx 3 minutes.

Is that 60p for an Adult or a Child?, would of thought it would be more for an Adult.
(26 Feb 2015, 10:09 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Is that 60p for an Adult or a Child?, would of thought it would be more for an Adult.

I agree, it does seem a bit on the cheap side for an adult fare. You never know your luck though. 
Planning a solo mission to the areas surrounding Durham for some photos tomorrow.

Might spend a bit of time at the University Hospital, then head towards Bishop Auckland - in my experience, it's always been a relatively quiet bus station and being so big I doubt anyone will see me and give me those unnerving looks. Big Grin
I was going to go somewhere but I'm just going to stay in as I can't be arsed with Newcastle and stuff.

Might watch the football at 12:45 whatever match is on too.
(26 Feb 2015, 10:09 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Is that 60p for an Adult or a Child?, would of thought it would be more for an Adult.

Adult.

60p is Ashington - 5th Avenue anyway.

If that's Phoenix's flat fare, then it's 60p for adult and 30p child

If its not flat fare I'm expecting it to be around 90p Ashington-NS Colliery.
Possible plan for tomorrow:

#21 - Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace to Durham University Hospital
(10:03 --- 10:18) - GNE Volvo B5HL/Wright Gemini 2
About 10 minutes of taking photos at the Durham University Hospital
#Anything - Durham University Hospital to Durham Bus Station
(10:30ish --- 10:35ish) - GNE..could be anything depending on which service I opt for!
#50 - Durham Bus Station to Durham Arnison Centre Retail Park
(10:53 --- 11:02) - GNE Scania CN230UB/Scania OmniCity
About 20 minutes taking photos at a few spots around the Arnison Centre
#64 - Durham Arnison Centre Retail Park to Durham North Road
(11:30 --- 11:45) - ANE..anything...hopefully one of those Enviro200s again!
#X21 - Durham Bus Station to Bishop Auckland Bus Station
(11:55 --- 12:29) - GNE Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President
About half an hour of taking photos around Bishop Auckland Bus Station
#X21 - Bishop Auckland Bus Station to Durham Bus Station
(13:04 --- 13:39) - GNE Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President
#21 - Durham Bus Station to Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace
(13:46 --- 14:03) - GNE Volvo B5HL/Wright Gemini 2

I'll get a Get Around day ticket for £3.75, I don't mind paying £1.70 on the 64 for another ride on an E200.
Cannot wait for the review!!
(27 Feb 2015, 7:07 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Cannot wait for the review!!

I love writing them...when you get 6 or 7 likes you know they're worth doing! Big Grin
(27 Feb 2015, 7:12 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]I love writing them...when you get 6 or 7 likes you know they're worth doing! Big Grin

I wrote a long review of my trip on Wednesday and I'm never doing that again as it took forever to write and I don't think people really cared that much.
(27 Feb 2015, 7:15 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I wrote a long review of my trip on Wednesday and I'm never doing that again as it took forever to write and I don't think people really cared that much.

Oh I did.....I find them quite interesting if I am honest, quite like to see the journeys you lot have made.
(27 Feb 2015, 7:15 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I wrote a long review of my trip on Wednesday and I'm never doing that again as it took forever to write and I don't think people really cared that much.

I thought it was really good Jimmi. I've done about 5 or 6 now, and I remember my first review only got about 1 or 2 likes, then my latest one got 7. If you keep writing them up, people will notice them more, etc. Smile
I'll only ever write them for big trips as it will take too much time probably.
(27 Feb 2015, 7:19 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Oh I did.....I find them quite interesting if I am honest, quite like to see the journeys you lot have made.

Thanks but I think I will keep them a bit more basic in future as it took ages to write and I'd spent ages uploading the photos from the day out to Flickr before that so I was in pain from sitting at the laptop for hours.
(27 Feb 2015, 7:20 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]I'll only ever write them for big trips as it will take too much time probably.

Yeah I only normally do big days out like Wednesdays trip as writing "I went to Durham then Newcastle and back on the X2" is a bit boring.
Last night I had to decide between going to Carlisle to catch some of the (now not so) new Enviro200s in service since they were only starting to be dripped into service when I was last there or having a bit of a County Durham trip to catch up with some of the things I still need to photograph here... I ended up opting for the latter in the end, and I'll consider going to Carlisle tomorrow morning depending on what I feel. It's unlikely that the Solo SR will be out on Carlisle town routes as they have a couple of extra buses on a Saturday, and that's one of the main things I wanted to catch.

Onwards with today's outing:
1148 #9 (5l): Newcastle Road to Park Lane - GNE 3981
1210 #20: Sunderland to Carrville - GNE 4970
1311 #20: Carrville to Durham - GNE 4971
1337 #64: Durham to Arnison Centre - ANE 1328
1415 #14: Arnison Centre to Durham County Hall - GNE 6022
1444 #62: Durham County Hall to Durham - ANE 1762
1500 #15: Durham to Consett - GNE 6012
1608 #X78: Consett to Stanley - GNE 3831
1638 #X30: Stanley to Newcastle - GNE 641
1744 Metro: Monument to Stadium of Light - T&WM 4038

The 20 service due at 11:47am from Newcastle Road turned up two minutes early, which meant I just missed it. I was a little disgruntled as it meant I was putting myself back by 10 minutes, but it did mean that I added a little bit more variety to the trip! It also meant that I had a bit of time to take some photographs at Park Lane (including a shot of a red Volvo B9 on the 35). Prior to the January service changes, a number of members of this forum were worried that delays would be prevalent as a result of such a long-distance route, but early-running between timing points has been more of an issue as of late...

I hopped off at the Belmont Park & Ride site when I saw the sun was at a decent angle and the PR1 was due to depart. Sadly, by the time I got across the busy road, the bus had already departed and I missed my photo of it. I got the bus due to depart 10 minutes after, and got the next two Solos which were parked up ready. Twenty minutes later, back on the 20, and I got a couple of photos in Durham before heading up to the Arnison Centre on the 64. I've already given a fairly negative review in the "Arriva North East - Latest" thread, so I needn't repeat myself... I had intended to get the 64 due 10 minutes behind the one I got to the Arnison Centre, but it was at least five minutes late and Go North East's 14 service turned up first. More variety, nevertheless!

Took a ride of that to Durham County Hall and got a couple of photos there, and then saw the 62 was due. Haven't been on that before, and I hadn't been on 1762 before. Wasn't particularly impressed and the passengers on the bus were quite rowdy. Quick journey down to the bus station and I waited for 7610 to show on the X12 from Middlesbrough - but as already established elsewhere on the board, I missed it as it was >15 mins late. Not much to say about 6012 - not a great President, but glad it turned up as I needed a photo of it following its recent repaint. Was pleasantly surprised that the kids who got on from Robert's school weren't particularly rowdy, but they did look older, so perhaps that's why. Missed the Weardale scholars services but did get some photos of some of Go North East's.

Haven't used the X78 since June or July 2014, so decided that it would be best to have one last ride of it. Probably will be my last time on it as I'll be otherwise occupied on weekdays from next week. It's a nice little run and I'd highly recommend it to anyone. You're more or less guaranteed to get an Olympian, and if one is allocated, you'll definitely get the upper-deck front seat with loads of leg room as it only tends to be one or two OAPs that use it. Wanted to head back to Newcastle for a shot of Arriva's X85, so caught the X30 (a warm Solo which provided a lovely ride - but a bit cramped on the back row) to Newcastle. Glad the 1720 departure was an OmniCity and not a Streetlite as I originally thought it was, as I missed it due to traffic on Percy Street! Managed to get a photo of a Solar on the X1A though, which is quite a rare working indeed, so at least I got a photo of something before heading back home on the Metro.
(27 Feb 2015, 7:53 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Last night I had to decide between going to Carlisle to catch some of the (now not so) new Enviro200s in service since they were only starting to be dripped into service when I was last there or having a bit of a County Durham trip to catch up with some of the things I still need to photograph here... I ended up opting for the latter in the end, and I'll consider going to Carlisle tomorrow morning depending on what I feel. It's unlikely that the Solo SR will be out on Carlisle town routes as they have a couple of extra buses on a Saturday, and that's one of the main things I wanted to catch.

Onwards with today's outing:
1148 #9 (5l): Newcastle Road to Park Lane - GNE 3981
1210 #20: Sunderland to Carrville - GNE 4970
1311 #20: Carrville to Durham - GNE 4971
1337 #64: Durham to Arnison Centre - ANE 1328
1415 #64: Arnison Centre to Durham County Hall - GNE 6022
1444 #62: Durham County Hall to Durham - ANE 1762
1500 #15: Durham to Consett - GNE 6012
1608 #X78: Consett to Stanley - GNE 3831
1638 #X30: Stanley to Newcastle - GNE 641
1744 Metro: Monument to Stadium of Light - T&WM 4038

The 20 service due at 11:47am from Newcastle Road turned up two minutes early, which meant I just missed it. I was a little disgruntled as it meant I was putting myself back by 10 minutes, but it did mean that I added a little bit more variety to the trip! It also meant that I had a bit of time to take some photographs at Park Lane (including a shot of a red Volvo B9 on the 35). Prior to the January service changes, a number of members of this forum were worried that delays would be prevalent as a result of such a long-distance route, but early-running between timing points has been more of an issue as of late...

I hopped off at the Belmont Park & Ride site when I saw the sun was at a decent angle and the PR1 was due to depart. Sadly, by the time I got across the busy road, the bus had already departed and I missed my photo of it. I got the bus due to depart 10 minutes after, and got the next two Solos which were parked up ready. Twenty minutes later, back on the 20, and I got a couple of photos in Durham before heading up to the Arnison Centre on the 64. I've already given a fairly negative review in the "Arriva North East - Latest" thread, so I needn't repeat myself... I had intended to get the 64 due 10 minutes behind the one I got to the Arnison Centre, but it was at least five minutes late and Go North East's 14 service turned up first. More variety, nevertheless!

Took a ride of that to Durham County Hall and got a couple of photos there, and then saw the 62 was due. Haven't been on that before, and I hadn't been on 1762 before. Wasn't particularly impressed and the passengers on the bus were quite rowdy. Quick journey down to the bus station and I waited for 7610 to show on the X12 from Middlesbrough - but as already established elsewhere on the board, I missed it as it was >15 mins late. Not much to say about 6012 - not a great President, but glad it turned up as I needed a photo of it following its recent repaint. Was pleasantly surprised that the kids who got on from Robert's school weren't particularly rowdy, but they did look older, so perhaps that's why. Missed the Weardale scholars services but did get some photos of some of Go North East's.

Haven't used the X78 since June or July 2014, so decided that it would be best to have one last ride of it. Probably will be my last time on it as I'll be otherwise occupied on weekdays from next week. It's a nice little run and I'd highly recommend it to anyone. You're more or less guaranteed to get an Olympian, and if one is allocated, you'll definitely get the upper-deck front seat with loads of leg room as it only tends to be one or two OAPs that use it. Wanted to head back to Newcastle for a shot of Arriva's X85, so caught the X30 (a warm Solo which provided a lovely ride - but a bit cramped on the back row) to Newcastle. Glad the 1720 departure was an OmniCity and not a Streetlite as I originally thought it was, as I missed it due to traffic on Percy Street! Managed to get a photo of a Solar on the X1A though, which is quite a rare working indeed, so at least I got a photo of something before heading back home on the Metro.

Jesus Christ! You had a GNE bus on an Arriva route?!?! You lucky man! Tongue

Great review Dan. Smile
(27 Feb 2015, 8:00 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Jesus Christ! You had a GNE bus on an Arriva route?!?! You lucky man! Tongue

Great review Dan. Smile

Aside from the typo - ta! Tongue 
(27 Feb 2015, 7:53 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Took a ride of that to Durham County Hall and got a couple of photos there, and then saw the 62 was due. Haven't been on that before, and I hadn't been on 1762 before. Wasn't particularly impressed and the passengers on the bus were quite rowdy. Quick journey down to the bus station and I waited for 7610 to show on the X12 from Middlesbrough - but as already established elsewhere on the board, I missed it as it was >15 mins late. Not much to say about 6012 - not a great President, but glad it turned up as I needed a photo of it following its recent repaint. Was pleasantly surprised that the kids who got on from Robert's school weren't particularly rowdy, but they did look older, so perhaps that's why. Missed the Weardale scholars services but did get some photos of some of Go North East's.

What'd 7610 end up doing? I wonder if it was taken out and dropped back in somewhere?