North East Buses

Full Version: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I won't go into detail, with the whole ins and outs of the vehicles I used over the course of a trip out yesterday, but ended up on the X66 and its new streetlight vehicles.

Having ridden each and everyone of its predecessors - rangin from Nationals, to Dafs, with everything inbetween and since, I was impressed with how light and airy it was.
It seemed to fly along centrelink.
Much nicer than those seen on the 53/54.

The standing load who got off, prior to me boarding may have disagreed, even more so on a hot day.
Windows open on a cold, rainy May day tell its own story.

Quite liked the interior too.

To balance it out, the heat eminating from under the seats on the back row, was ridiculous and I was surprised at how little leg room there was. I don't touch 6ft, but I know there are a few on here who exceed it.

Boarded with an open mind and disembarked with mixed thoughts.
(03 May 2015, 12:34 pm)Adam wrote [ -> ]02:15 #N21 Newcastle Pilgrim Street - Angel of the North (6068)

My day began in Newcastle, where I was partying with uni friends. What else is a 19 year old uni student supposed to do on weekends? It was about 1:45 and my friends were starting to get tired, so we left, raiding McDonald's for some food. It's a delicacy after a night out. With time to spare, I wandered down to Pilgrim Street, where 6068 turned up on the N21. I paid my £3 single to the Angel, and unsurprisingly, that's more or less what I can remember from the journey. After alighting, I walked up the dreaded Longbank and a few other streets, before arriving home at around 3am. I would normally get the N56 and alight at Wrekenton, but this service doesn't run on Friday nights/Saturday mornings.

14:44 #2A Sunderland Holmeside - Washington Galleries (8327)

Whilst walking down to the stop, 8320 and 8323 both left, so I had a good 10 minute wait for the next one. 8327 approached, another bus which I've yet to travel on. I've been on most of the Simplicity Versas due to the N56, but this one seems to have avoided me until yesterday. Very quiet journey, with various pickings up and droppings off en route, the maximum number of passengers being on at any one time being around 10. An incident with a car had happened at the green bridge (what's it called? Is it Fallowfield Bridge?), with a policeman directing vehicles around the tangled mess of a dunched car, probably a write-off. We arrived into the Galleries bang on time, which was good to see.

I've never been on a night bus before but keep meaning to instead of the odd taxi!

Also it's Fatfield Bridge Smile
(05 May 2015, 9:36 am)Tommy_1581 wrote [ -> ]I think they have the (almost) same problem as the X-GGO Darts (some sort of ledge on the side facing seats), something that makes people who manage to get on, say a V-DFT Renown, that they've had no problems with previously, suddenly very hard! They'll want disabled access toilets next.  Rolleyes

I was sure that some of them were? Oh well
(06 May 2015, 2:58 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]I was sure that some of them were? Oh well

The Alexander ALX300 bodied Volvo B10BLEs might be, but the Wright Renown bodied examples certainly aren't.
(06 May 2015, 3:09 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]The Alexander ALX300 bodied Volvo B10BLEs might be, but the Wright Renown bodied examples certainly aren't.

That was it!! 
I like the idea of talking to ladies in any situation hah
Doing a Coast and Country outing today.

Not doing many trips this week although the ones I am doing are pretty long, let's see if I survive being out for up to around 14 hours on Saturday.
(07 May 2015, 8:49 am)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Doing a Coast and Country outing today.

Not doing many trips this week although the ones I am doing are pretty long, let's see if I survive being out for up to around 14 hours on Saturday.
Some are probably wondering why I can't think of anything positive to say about Go North East, well I am currently sat on a broken 6014 at Witton Gilbert. *sighs*

Well that's my plan out of the window.
(07 May 2015, 9:19 am)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Some are probably wondering why I can't think of anything positive to say about Go North East, well I am currently sat on a broken 6014 at Witton Gilbert. *sighs*

Well that's my plan out of the window.
We are on the move again, we are very slowly on the move and have just been over taken by a lorry!
It's 1040 now, should be arriving in Consett Bus Station but we are just arriving in Lanchester

"Slow ride, take it easy"
Now stood waiting in Lanchester Village for the 15A.
Something really irritating about this Coast and Country outing is everywhere I want photos on the 78 route they both pass around the same time so I am finding myself waiting around 30 minutes in places looking like a right freak.

Think I've spent more time waiting for buses than I have on them.
(07 May 2015, 2:52 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Something really irritating about this Coast and Country outing is everywhere I want photos on the 78 route they both pass around the same time so I am finding myself waiting around 30 minutes in places looking like a right freak.

Think I've spent more time waiting for buses than I have on them.

That's why I'm waiting until we're further into summer before hopping off en-route to take photographs. I typically start at one end (ie Consett), jump off at a location to get a photo on the other side, and wait for the next bus to go further along the route, repeating the process until I'm at the other end (ie Sunderland).

It's pleasant enough doing that when it's warm, if you're the type who enjoys getting photos in random locations, but awful trying to do it when it's cold.
(07 May 2015, 3:47 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]That's why I'm waiting until we're further into summer before hopping off en-route to take photographs. I typically start at one end (ie Consett), jump off at a location to get a photo on the other side, and wait for the next bus to go further along the route, repeating the process until I'm at the other end (ie Sunderland).

It's pleasant enough doing that when it's warm, if you're the type who enjoys getting photos in random locations, but awful trying to do it when it's cold.

Probably would have been better if I hadn't decided to start an hour later, 6014's failure on the 15 pushed me back a further 30 minutes and resulted in one of my planned photo spots being dropped as the 15A doesn't head along the 78 route into Consett. Also most of the ones I have been on today have been slightly late as there is temporary lights everywhere it seems so this has caused more problems.

Not been brilliant today but at least I have made the effort to get photos in some slightly different places, sick of viewing photos of them in Chester-le-Street now, although I took some here too.

Will probably revist some of the spots in the summer.
Would anyone fancy doing this?

07:04 - 4 - Washington Galleries to Heworth - 07:21
07:38 - X9 - Heworth to Middlesbrough - 08:42
08:50 - X93 - Middlesbrough to Scarborough - 11:08
11:56 - 843 - Scarborough to York - 13:42
15:24 - 840 - York to Leeds - 17:24
19:40 - MB - Leeds to Sunderland - 21:45
22:45 - 2 - Sunderland to Lambton - 23:13

Explorer = £9.70
Coastliner Freedom Ticket = £15.30
Megabus = £7.00
Total: £32
(07 May 2015, 7:42 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Would anyone fancy doing this?

19:40 - MB - Leeds to Sunderland - 09:45

Explorer = £9.70
Megabus = £7.00

I wouldn't fancy embarking on a 4 hour journey for less than an hour in Scarborough. You're probably best splitting that trip into two.

JH Coaches advertised that they're doing a Scarborough day trip for £16.50. I'd assume there'd be a good few hours between the two trips, so it'd give you a chance to get some EYMS stuff photographed. 
(07 May 2015, 7:48 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]I wouldn't fancy embarking on a 4 hour journey for less than an hour in Scarborough. You're probably best splitting that trip into two.

JH Coaches advertised that they're doing a Scarborough day trip for £16.50. I'd assume there'd be a good few hours between the two trips, so it'd give you a chance to get some EYMS stuff photographed. 

I but the next 843 isnt until 13:56, which then would knack up the rest of the plan.

The Edinburgh one looks rather tempting for £17.50 mind.
(07 May 2015, 7:42 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Would anyone fancy doing this?

19:40 - MB - Leeds to Sunderland - 09:45

Explorer = £9.70
Megabus = £7.00

Bloody Hell...14 hours on a bus from Leeds to Sunderland no thank you
(07 May 2015, 8:07 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]Bloody Hell...14 hours on a bus from Leeds to Sunderland no thank you

Whoops.
(07 May 2015, 8:04 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]The Edinburgh one looks rather tempting for £17.50 mind.

That's decent for Edinburgh. It's worth keeping an eye on the rail fares though, as you can do Edinburgh and back on fixed tickets for not a lot.

I'd also recommend checking fares for Newcastle to Glasgow Queen Street/Central, because the stretch between Glasgow and Edinburgh is open ticket, despite being fixed between Newcastle and Edinburgh.