North East Buses

Full Version: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(18 Mar 2016, 7:23 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]You say variety but you could end up with a Pulsar on the X1 and 21 as well as it being the standard allocation on the 24.

Variety isnt just about going on different vehicle types. Certainly go to a variety of different places and routes. Built up areas and rural.
(18 Mar 2016, 7:28 pm)S813 FVK wrote [ -> ]Variety isnt just about going on different vehicle types.

True. I've had little variety today so I don't know how I dare say this, got on the 7 with the same driver I had last night, then got the X66 with the same bus I had on the 7 last night (4656) then I got the Stagecarriage 88 to Yarm then got the same bus back to Stockton!
(18 Mar 2016, 7:18 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Think there is a 74 that arrives into Hexham around 13:10, then the 689 departs at 13:40 ish. Well worth doing.

13:01 but it never comes on time Wink
Yesterday was my just a boring trip i planned a 2nd ride on the metrocity and ride a few solars on the 20.
Well this was what i did.
36085 4
4943 x36
28040 16
28025 16
36094 4
4990 20
5338 8
6028 82
4085/4061* metro
39709 18
39732 19
559 99
5166 9
28001 16
8327 2a
6086 56
39728 18
4908 99
Yesterday so me start at just before 8 i began with 36085 into Sunderland this was rather ok for a ride the revs were pretty decent and the was no problems with this particular bus.
At sunderland i boarded 4943 covering for a fast cats branded i rather enjoyed my ride aboard this. I alighted at just before downhill a place i never got of before it was awful so glad when 28040 arrived and i had this last week so nothing new but 28040 is one of my favourite gas buses as it kicks down with ease provided a careful journey to where i alight at wheatsheaf depot i so many buses leaving to start the morning service.
28025 was my next ride on the 16 only one stop to sunderland i would recommend that this bus is vile and is usually under powered.
I was pretty boared so when i so 36094 i was very pleased as these e200s can rev pretty heared so was a lovely ride we crossed wearmouth bridge with ease i alighted back at wheatsheaf but for tesco this time.
Bought a sandwich 《ham and cheese》then wandered back to wheatsheaf for the next exciting vehcile.
2 cng gas buses passed but i already sampled 2 so went with 4990 aboard it felt like it would fall over this vehcile wasnt very pleasent i did enjoy it though.
At that point i felt like riding the 700 circuit then something into washington well as i walked round so a red citaro thought it was 5332 but then so the 06 plate and gathered it was 5338 i didnt plan to ride this but seeing as stanley will loose the coast and country i couldn't resist. We picked up speeds and was a beast so i was glad to ride this.
Alighted at peel and awaited either the 82 or 82a i had hoped a merit but what came round was 6028 still pleased as this and 6040 are the only good presidents washington have got i planned to alight at concord but the journey was so well i remained on board.
I alighted at heworth and ran to see if the northern to newcastle had been and just that second had 142079 pulled away. I was not sure what to do but then a message interupted that thought when my friend text me saying 559 did the 10 19 out of silksworth so wasted no time in boarding 4061 the journey flu by as we were about 6 minutes late and alighted at seaburn just after 11.
As i had 7 minutes before the 99 was due i just boarded 39709 this beast had amazing kick downs i stayed on to this housing estate just before whitburn i then alighted and straight away boarded 39732 behind on the delayed 19 alighted at Morrisons and boarded 559 to fullwell grange i was delighted at how this bus kicked down the revs were extrodanary .
Photographed 5249 on service 9 as a rumour went round 5247-49 are to move to washington itll be fun to see omnis on the 4 and 82 if they cover for when a bus is away. Got 5166 and bashed this to sunderland the engine kickdowns excited me i also noted 5166 had a new bell well got 28001 afterwards no problem with this but a bit dull
8327 delighted to have have this the versa engine proved pretty exciting. Got aboard 6086 the wifi worked and we got to our destination spot on time.
Headed home before coming back out got on 39728 not as good as 39706-09 but was ok popped into Morrisons came out later then got 4908 back this is a delight to ride the renown engine smashed it down along up to seaburn metro
A pretty good day yesterday my next trip hasnt been decided upon but hope its soon
Good review! Surprised there wasn't more this weekend.
Thinking of doing the following on April 2nd.

05:30 - Megabus - Newcastle to Leeds - 08:00
08:30 - Transdev CityZap - Leeds to York - 09:20
12:30 - Transdev CityZap - York to Leeds - 13:20
15:40 - Megabus - Leeds to Newcastle - 18:40

Personally think paying a total £2 to go from Leeds to York and back is an excellent promotional offer to take advantage of, note it is only valid between March 27th 2016 and April 2nd 2016 if your planning on making a trip, Also Bus Services in Leeds and York have changed quite a lot since I was last down there in July 2014, in terms of New Vehicles, so it will be nice to get photos of the updated fleets also, with Transdevs new Cityzap/StreetDecks on the 36, Arriva with MAX/Sapphire Services, Eyms with the EvoSetis/B5TLs & E400MMCs on the X46, and finally First Leeds with there 14reg E400s and the recently repainted B5LHs, so plenty of photo opportunities to be had, all I need to do is book my Megabus Tickets.
(20 Mar 2016, 9:24 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Thinking of doing the following on April 2nd.

Personally think paying a total £2 to go from Leeds to York and back is an excellent promotional offer to take advantage of, note it is only valid between March 27th 2016 and April 2nd 2016 if your planning on making a trip, Also Bus Services in Leeds and York have changed quite a lot since I was last down there in July 2014, in terms of New Vehicles, so it will be nice to get photos of the updated fleets also, with Transdevs new Cityzap/StreetDecks on the 36, Arriva with MAX/Sapphire Services, Eyms with the EvoSetis/B5TLs & E400MMCs on the X46, and finally First Leeds with there 14reg E400s and the recently repainted B5LHs, so plenty of photo opportunities to be had, all I need to do is book my Megabus Tickets.

I quite enjoyed my trip to York yesterday, there is some quite nice scenery around York. I didn't actually sample any buses whilst I was over there yesterday but think I spent most of my time there well, apart from getting a bit lost at one point trying to find some lunch. I spent a bit time at the CityZap launch and I saw a few ethusiasts whilst I was over there. I've uploaded a few photos and there is more to come, see this Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@...6129104726

Leeds is on my list of places to do, I am maybe thinking of aiming for sometime in May which will be dependent on my availability as there is a few other bus things I am looking to do in the upcoming months.

At least I seem to be getting more confident at using the train which is good especially as I am planning on using the train more in the summer, although I may have panicked if it was my train that had been cancelled rather than my friend's. Managed to handle things smoothly enough including collecting my tickets from the machines which take an age. I got Virgin Trains East Coast to York and got my first experience of First TransPennine Express for my journey back to Darlington.

Think this is my favourite photo from yesterday.
[Image: 25911705346_3fe4965058.jpg]Transdev Yorkshire Coastliner: 417 / FJ08BYV by Matthew Jimmison, on Flickr
(20 Mar 2016, 9:37 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I quite enjoyed my trip to York yesterday, there is some quite nice scenery around York. I didn't actually sample any buses whilst I was over there yesterday but think I spent most of my time there well, apart from getting a bit lost at one point trying to find some lunch. I spent a bit time at the CityZap launch and I saw a few ethusiasts whilst I was over there. I've uploaded a few photos and there is more to come, see this Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@...6129104726

Leeds is on my list of places to do, I am maybe thinking of aiming for sometime in May which will be dependent on my availability as there is a few other bus things I am looking to do in the upcoming months.

At least I seem to be getting more confident at using the train which is good especially as I am planning on using the train more in the summer, although I may have panicked if it was my train that had been cancelled rather than my friend's. Managed to handle things smoothly enough including collecting my tickets from the machines which take an age. I got Virgin Trains East Coast to York and got my first experience of First TransPennine Express for my journey back to Darlington.

I'm aiming for Manchester, Birmingham and London this year. ( Already done London but its too big to do in a day ) Birmingham will be a new place for me.

Leeds is good for Variety aswell as Harrogate and Is worth doing.

Though for next week I'm planning Hexham on Thursday for the new Solos and other bits and bobs over the Holidays, I will get down to Wallsend, Cobalt Etc for the Indigo Solos on their first day -
The Wednesday after.
Recently, I have been to Derby, Nottingham, Milton Keynes, Cambridge, Doncaster, Carlisle, Bradford and Leeds...

If I was to recommend anywhere, it would be Milton Keynes due to the amount of independents.
(20 Mar 2016, 9:37 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I quite enjoyed my trip to York yesterday, there is some quite nice scenery around York. I didn't actually sample any buses whilst I was over there yesterday but think I spent most of my time there well, apart from getting a bit lost at one point trying to find some lunch. I spent a bit time at the CityZap launch and I saw a few ethusiasts whilst I was over there. I've uploaded a few photos and there is more to come, see this Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@...6129104726

Think this is my favourite photo from yesterday.
[Image: 25911705346_3fe4965058.jpg]Transdev Yorkshire Coastliner: 417 / FJ08BYV by Matthew Jimmison, on Flickr

(20 Mar 2016, 9:45 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]I'm aiming for Manchester, Birmingham and London this year. ( Already done London but its too big to do in a day ) Birmingham will be a new place for me.

Though for next week I'm planning Hexham on Thursday for the new Solos and other bits and bobs over the Holidays, I will get down to Wallsend, Cobalt Etc for the Indigo Solos on their first day -
The Wednesday after.

Tickets all sorted for the Megabus, I done Leeds, Bradford and Wakefield in a Day back in July 2014, and it was excellent day out which I would highly recommend, Photos from that trip - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalark...6146970024

This trip out on April 2nd will be a good few hours shorter than that day, as I got on the 19:30pm Megabus back home from Leeds, but nevertheless I will have around 2 to 3 Hours in both Leeds and York to take photos.

I am looking at doing London & Glasgow later in the year, along with heading down to Scarborough and Carlisle, other than that I plan to stay local.
(20 Mar 2016, 9:45 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]I'm aiming for Manchester, Birmingham and London this year. ( Already done London but its too big to do in a day ) Birmingham will be a new place for me.

The Wednesday after.

I'm having a weekend in Manchester in a few weeks time although I am there for other reasons, the main one being Muse. I think London would scare me slightly with how big it is, not sure if I would ever do Birmingham or not.

I did Harrogate fairly recently but I didn't get any further than the bus station as I ended up gaining a travel companion for that day and I tend to do less when others are with me.

Think I may do Alnwick and Berwick in a few weeks time.

Some things I may do:
Edinburgh (possibly for Lothian Open Doors again).
Leyland Olympian Running Day enthusiasts tour (Chesterfield - May 21st)
Scarborough BusFest and Running Day (May 22nd).
Showbus.
Moorsbus.
Dalesbus.

More may crop up and I may change my mind on the above, we'll see.
(20 Mar 2016, 9:24 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Thinking of doing the following on April 2nd.

The cityzap doesn't compare unfavourably at all with the trains, in terms of time taken, does it? A bit like the TTX and Newcastle-Boro trains.
(20 Mar 2016, 9:57 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I'm having a weekend in Manchester in a few weeks time although I am there for other reasons, the main one being Muse. I think London would scare me slightly with how big it is, not sure if I would ever do Birmingham or not.

I did Harrogate fairly recently but I didn't get any further than the bus station as I ended up gaining a travel companion for that day and I tend to do less when others are with me.

Think I may do Alnwick and Berwick in a few weeks time.

Some things I may do:
Edinburgh (possibly for Lothian Open Doors again).
Leyland Olympian Running Day enthusiasts tour (Chesterfield - May 21st)
Scarborough BusFest and Running Day (May 22nd).
Showbus.
Moorsbus.
Dalesbus.

More may crop up and I may change my mind on the above, we'll see.

I'd be tempted by the Scarboro' one, too, if it wasn't on a Sunday. Would be nice to meet my parents there, for the day!

Actually, it owuld work if husband dropped us off in boro - would cut 2 hours off the journey time!
(20 Mar 2016, 10:03 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]I'd be tempted by the Scarboro' one, too, if it wasn't on a Sunday. Would be nice to meet my parents there, for the day!
It is a bit irritating with it being a Sunday meaning I would either have to get the X93 from Scarborough at 1550 to catch the last X66 back to Darlington or get the train back to Darlington from Middlesbrough. Would also require the train to Middlesbrough on the Monday or I could get the train from Newton Aycliffe all the way to Whitby. Times may change as Arriva are making service changes a few weeks before this in the Darlington area.
(20 Mar 2016, 10:08 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]It is a bit irritating with it being a Sunday meaning I would either have to get the X93 from Scarborough at 1550 to catch the last X66 back to Darlington or get the train back to Darlington from Middlesbrough. Would also require the train to Middlesbrough on the Monday or I could get the train from Newton Aycliffe all the way to Whitby. Times may change as Arriva are making service changes a few weeks before this in the Darlington area.

Yep, just fiddled with traveline and the bus from home is completely unfeasible - we'd meet ourselves coming the other way. Just the X93 would be doable if we could get our arses into gear early enough, though.
Yesterday I had a good day spotting in Newcastle during the derby. I had not been able to get out on a trip on Saturday due to family commitments and illness. My aim on Sunday was threefold; a) have a good walk out b) do some shopping with my partner and c) do some spotting. It turned out to be an exciting day…

I walked to Gateshead Council’s main yard for 10 AM, there were a number of their minibuses that I was able to spot through the railings. Next I headed for Gateshead College, they have recently acquired a 2011 16 seat Ford Transit. I was able to spot this in their service yard. The weather was looking good so I headed past the Sage and Tyne Bridge towards the Swing Bridge.

After crossing the river and passing the already busy Wetherspoons I made for the Copthorne Hotel. In the hotel’s yard was E10PEC, Parkers Executive new Mercedes coach. This vehicle looks very smart and I was able to photograph it through the gates. A brisk walk then brought me to the Centre for Life. Here I spotted vehicles from Kemp (Ace Travel, Peterlee) and Lodge (GL Minibuses, Washington) carrying Sunderland fans. On the way I passed the new police station which was a hive of activity.

Next I passed through Jurys Inn which was bustling with football fans, there were a number of non-psv vehicles present from restricted licence holder LA Taxis. After spotting these, I made for the nearby coach park off Railway Street. This had a few vehicles present, but none were from local firms. Traffic on the Redheugh Bridge was heavy and I decided to have a rest and do a bit spotting. To my delight I spotted a Transit belonging to Gladstone (Brian’s Minibuses, Sacriston). I thought this operator had long ceased trading.

Rest over and with a rapidly filling up notebook I made my way through Newcastle College campus. I noted a service yard containing 3 of their vehicles. In all 5 of the college’s minibuses were on the campus, mainly 16 seat Transits. The campus was busy with matchgoers trying to find parking spaces. Feeling better I headed past Cruddass Park and Elswick Cemetery. Granger Park Road was my goal. Here I looked for the premises of Section 19 Permit holder Northumberland Clubs for Young People. None of their minibuses were present unfortunately when located it.

The Red Cross ambulance station on Western Avenue was my next port of call. I figured this would be busy with match day. I was not disappointed and was able to spot a number of their non-psv patient transport vehicles. At the rear of the Red Cross premises is Saint John Ambulance, they park their minibuses in the yard at the Westgate Ark. I was able to spot a pair of their Renault Masters which are used to transport elderly persons to day centres.

It was getting close to mid-day so I headed down into the city centre. On the way I visited Newcastle Apostolic Church, they have a small minibus fleet, with a 14 seat Transit present on this visit. Next it was Moorside Community Primary School. They’ve recently purchased a 16 seat Peugeot Boxer which forms part of Newcastle City Council’s non-psv fleet. A short walk from here brought me to St Philips Close, home of the Deeper Life Christian Ministry. Their 16 seat Transit was parked up outside the church. Next it was the Life Transformation Church on Havelock Place. They have an elderly Peugeot Boxer minibus. I was close to the bustling city centre now. I passed the Discovery School who have just purchased a brand new 16 seat Ford Transit and the Living Bread Church. This Afro-Caribbean church has two minibuses. Neither were present on this visit. The area was teaming with police and the Villa Vic pub was doing a roaring trade.

I made my way to the Centre for Life, here I found a number of operators’ vehicles parked up. These were being used by the police. Present were Kingsleys, A-Line, Don Smith and Altona Travel vehicles. Whilst spotting a large contingent of Sunderland fans were making their way from Central Station to the ground. Taunting them was a group of chavs shouting scum, scum, scum. As the police kept the two groups apart I was able to get some good photos of the vehicles. I was hoping to find some police buses but this was not the case.

It was going 12.45 so I decided to have a snack opposite the Central Station. The police presence was heavy which did not deter a group of drunks hurling abuse at them. Next I walked up Saint James’ Boulevard to the ground. The police were out in large numbers here. Transporting them were a number of unmarked 16 seat Ford Transits which looked like they were hire vehicles.

An impressive sight greeted me at the ground. Forty three coaches and buses were parked up in a single long row. They stretched all the way from the entrance of Saint James’ Park to Fenham Barracks. These were the Sunderland Supporters Club official transport. Jim Hughes and Garnetts had the most vehicles with a large number of deckers. Smaller independents were also present including Pygalls (Peterlee), Longstaffs (Amble), Scarlet Band (West Cornforth), Roxby (Hetton) and David Dove (Herrington). I was able to spot all of these, and got some OK photos. The match was about to start and most supporters were now either in the ground or the pub. It certainly filled me with awe to see such an impressive collection of independently owned deckers all together in one place.

I was now late to meet my partner so hurried to the Haymarket passing a drunk collapsed on the ground outside Saint James’ Park and a guy drinking from all the discarded cans and bottles left near the ground. Another Altona Travel coach was parked opposite the ground being used as a rest room by the police. My partner was waiting for me at cling on corner. She greeted me with “We are meant to buying birthday presents not photographing buses”. I tried telling her about Jim Hughes’ Plaxton bodied Presidents but she was having none of it!

We were able to get our shopping and had a nice relaxing Sunday lunch. The time was approaching 15.15 when we left town. My only bus of the day was a Stagecoach Alexander Dennis Trident working the 38. We sat downstairs and made it out of the city centre before the match came out. Neither of us felt like being stuck in the chaos caused by thousands of well-lubricated fans trying to get home.

It had been a great day, I had a good long walk and was feeling better, we had got all of our shopping and I had done some excellent spotting. My favourite vehicle of the day had be to Pygalls F114TML an Alexander bodied Volvo B10 decker. At 27 years old it must be one of the oldest deckers in everyday use in the North East. It certainly was exhilarating to see it powering past the Centre for Life.

Now I need to go spotting when Newcastle play at the Stadium of Light!

Hope you enjoyed the read.

Charles
*I tried telling her about Jim Hughes’ Plaxton bodied Presidents but she was having none of it!*

Husband doesn't understand, either. His eyes sort of roll up into his head when I'm talking buses with big'un Big Grin
I didnt see a thread for future tours so using this
Not around any time soon but my friend asked me whats a good outing in london and i couldnt find out my self but does any body no a plan staring from kings cross stn
Ive got my outing planned for Hexham and the new Solos, It has been rescheduled for Saturday due to meeting with my mates on Thursday night.

My outing is as follows

1135 74 Eldon Square - Hexham 1301 ( Hoping the driver will be early en route to get a photo on the route )

Photograph buses in Hexham Bus Station 1300 - 1510

1510 AD122 Hexham - Haltwhistle 1606

1620 681 Haltwhistle - Alston 1708

Get a photo of the ( Hopefully ) Solo in Alston

1715 X81 Alston - Hexham 1805

1822 685/85 Hexham - Eldon Square 1918

Then head home.

Hoping I have good drivers so if there early they will let me get a photo en route.

I'm lucking forward to it

I will be out on Thursday just not too far, Maybe Ashington or Metro Replacements

Anyone who wants to tag along is welcome, Just look for a 13 year old boy taking photos Big Grin
(21 Mar 2016, 8:49 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]Ive got my outing planned for Hexham and the new Solos, It has been rescheduled for Saturday due to meeting with my mates on Thursday night.

My outing is as follows

1135 74 Eldon Square - Hexham 1301 ( Hoping the driver will be early en route to get a photo on the route )

Photograph buses in Hexham Bus Station 1300 - 1510

1510 AD122 Hexham - Haltwhistle 1606

1620 681 Haltwhistle - Alston 1708

Get a photo of the ( Hopefully ) Solo in Alston

1715 X81 Alston - Hexham 1805

1822 685/85 Hexham - Eldon Square 1918

Then head home.

Hoping I have good drivers so if there early they will let me get a photo en route.

I'm lucking forward to it

I will be out on Thursday just not too far, Maybe Ashington or Metro Replacements

Anyone who wants to tag along is welcome, Just look for a 13 year old boy taking photos Big Grin

I will probably spot you as I am looking to do the following on Saturday (subject to change):

0805 7 Aycliffe - Durham (Arrive 0845)
0850 15 Consett (Arrive 0930)
0945 689 Hexham (Arrive 1039)
1110 AD122 Haltwhistle (Arrive 1208)
1249 685 Hexham (1322)
1422 10 Corbridge Hill Street (1432)
1510 687 Hexham Bus Station (1527)
1530 882 Hadrian Hotel (1544)
1552 AD122 Hexham Rail Station (1602)
1607 74 Newcastle (1729)
Then whatever home.