North East Buses

Full Version: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sign Dan up for BT's super fast Internet. That's a load of ! Big Grin
Might do;
Newcastle
Pegswood
Morpeth
Middlesbrough
York
Chathill
Berwick
... In the holidays, although I don't think I'll be able to do all of them within 4 days Big Grin
(27 Mar 2015, 5:44 pm)Adam wrote [ -> ]Without wanting to invade Marcus' fortress of excellent reviews, here's how my adventures went today.

I finished uni for Easter yesterday, but I still went in this morning as I have four assignments due in during May, so I thought I better make a start with them. I finished my work at 11:30 by meeting my friend for dinner, before he had to return for his 1pm seminar. My parents were out and my brothers were at school, so to occupy time I had a little adventure. Nothing exciting though....

08:17 #X1 Wrekenton - Newcastle John Dobson Street (6051)

I was disappointed when the X1 was the first bus to turn up at Wrekenton this morning for two reasons. Firstly, it's always chocker, and secondly, I normally get the X25, which always has the same people on for that specific journey. I like to think of ourselves as a mini family, even though none of us smile or speak to each other.

Anyway, I boarded the X1 and my sheer height of 6ft 3 meant that the driver never saw a gentleman stood behind me waiting to board, so closed the doors and pulled away before he had a chance to get on. I found a seat upstairs near the back for the pretty uneventful journey. I forgot to pick up my Metro paper when I boarded which was a shame, but at least I had my phone to keep me company. The traffic wasn't bad at all and we seemed to fly down, the Red Arrows living up to its name.

When I got off, I even went the wrong way. To get to my building over the road from Manors Metro, I turn left when I get off the bus and cross the bridge next to the slip road over the Central Motorway. I hopelessly forgot that I was going to the library today, which is up by the Civic Centre way, so I had a lengthy detour before arriving at the 4th floor of the library.

13:01 #21 Newcastle Eldon Square - Gateshead (6065)

In September, I bought an annual Get Around pass ready for commuting to and from uni, and to make things more interesting, I decided to note every single transport journey I make, marking off each bus I travel on. It turns out 6065 was the only remaining Angel I hadn't travelled on, so was thrilled when it pulled into Eldon Square at the same time I did. I sat downstairs due to travelling a short distance.

13:16 #27 Gateshead - Heworth (5314)

5314 was one of the three Crusaders that I hadn't travelled on, so again, I was pretty pleased when I saw it arrive into Gateshead. It was rather busy, and I found a seat near the front on the left hand side. Have to say, the legroom is dreadful! Had to carefully manoeuvre my legs into a comfortable sideways position. I was fiddling with my phone for the whole journey, texting and tweeting, so never took much notice of the actual journey. The driver was very friendly though, saying hello when I boarded and goodbye as I got off.

13:25 #94 Heworth - Gateshead (5223)

I got off and lingered around in the main interchange for a bit, looking at the departure boards. I looked outside and saw 5223 approaching, another bus I hadn't travelled on before, so got on it. When on the Old Fold Estate, 5226 caught up on the next 94, and it was then a case of leapfrog between there and Gateshead, my bus arriving first, even though we did pick up around 12-15 students outside Gateshead College.

14:07 #X66 Gateshead - Metrocentre (4964)

We departed a little late, but never mind. I sat in "the quadrant" as I like to call it, where you've got two facing seats and two rearward seats. Yet again, I was on my phone, texting friends, so there wasn't anything worth commenting on, apart from the bus has now lost its rear advertisement for Dalton Park.

14:40 #10A Metrocentre - Newcastle Eldon Square (3964)

I timed it perfectly it seems. I'd seen 3964 earlier in the day whilst in Eldon Square working a 10A, so worked out the timings and discovered it would be on that journey. This bus was another I hadn't travelled on, so the visit to Heworth before doing my shopping at the Metrocentre coincided with that so I wasn't hanging around in the bus station for ages. It sounded canny rough but it was an enjoyable ride back into Newcastle.

15:00 #X71 Newcastle Eldon Square - Gateshead (3825)

I arrived into Eldon to see a Yellow Bus decker pulling into the stand on an X71, and at this stage of their lives, who can resist a ride on one? I boarded to find a very friendly driver, and took my seat at the very rear of the bottom deck. I even muted my earphones and took them out so I could hear and admire the fabulous Volvo engine, still sounding terrific. The journey was surprisingly comfortable, probably because I had legroom and the wheel arch made a cracking footrest.

15:15 #X1 Gateshead - Wrekenton (6005)

I waited to see the 15:10 #1 and the arrival of the 15:17 #52 in case an oddity was thrown onto the service. Both had normal workings however, but then 6005, my favourite Red Arrow, came round the corner on an X1. Why is that specific one my favourite, I hear you ask? Well, it seems to have developed this amusing whistling noise, something reminiscent of a steaming kettle with a hint of Paxman Valenta HST. Again, I muted my earphones and took them out so I could listen to the peculiar noise.

As I said at the start, today wasn't anything exciting, but it's better than nothing I suppose. I'm not out tomorrow, partly because I'm out drinking tonight with friends so will be feeling canny rough if I did peel myself away from my bed in the morning, and because Gateshead's at home to Eastleigh tomorrow.

Great work, Adam   Big Grin
Soooo........what has anyone got planned for tomorrow then..? Big Grin
(27 Mar 2015, 6:06 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Soooo........what has anyone got planned for tomorrow then..? Big Grin

I'm planning to read your fantastic review  Big Grin
(26 Mar 2015, 9:56 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Hehe, I was half expecting a similar reply to that Wink

I don't like Park Lane at all and I'm not too keen on the city centre itself as a whole, really. Just a small niggle I get when I'm in the place, that's all!

Mind you I've been to much, much worse - 10 letters, starting with W ending with N - and no it's not Winlaton, although that could well qualify also Wink

(26 Mar 2015, 10:00 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Washington! Big Grin
How dare you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3-pFBYc_3I
(26 Mar 2015, 10:08 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Malarkey will be mugging you next time he sees you - making comments like that on a public forum about the heart of the North East! Wink

You're just not used to this city life... 4G connectivity is too much for you...!
Make sure you point these two out to me Dan at MetroCentre Rally, got an RKO "Outta Nowhere" for both of them.
(27 Mar 2015, 7:43 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]How dare you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3-pFBYc_3I
Make sure you point these two out to me Dan at MetroCentre Rally, got an RKO "Outta Nowhere" for both of them.
Be afraid...Be very afraid of the MALAR-KO Big Grin
I'm worried now, the Malarkey Mafia are coming!

Plan is to go to Chester-le-Street firstly in the morning (0845 #28) and get a spoons brekkie before heading north to the toon!

Sean
(27 Mar 2015, 8:21 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]I'm worried now, the Malarkey Mafia are coming!

Plan is to go to Chester-le-Street firstly in the morning (0845 #28) and get a spoons brekkie before heading north to the toon!

Sean

Enjoy yourself Sean  Big Grin
(27 Mar 2015, 8:21 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]I'm worried now, the Malarkey Mafia are coming!

Sean

It was nice knowing you, Sean.  Big Grin
I may be exhausted but here's today's review.

Started the day off by walking to Aycliffe Town Centre for a shot of The Eden's latest addition.

0932 7 Newton Aycliffe - Durham (ANE 1520).
This was the start of the day, This example was my least favourite Sapphire 7 Pulsar because I often struggled to connect to the WiFi when it was new but it was sharp sorted out and has been fine for awhile. As ever I can't think of much to say as I browsed the Internet but I was starting to worry when we got to Chilton for seats because there was ignorant people sat on the outside seats so I had to be good by moving my thick coat onto my knees and shove my camera bag between my feet incase someone wanted to sit down but thankfully a fair few got off in Ferryhill so I was able to put my coat back on the outside seats, I'm aware this sounds like I am slightly ignorant.

1052 X2 Durham - Gateshead (ANE 7627)
Was actually 3 minutes late when it got to the County Hospital stop. Not really a great deal of things to say today although this journey really seemed to drag on and on but thankfully I was able to use the WiFi to make the journey more bearable.

Went to Herons for 3 tins of Cherry Coke then Greggs for a Corned Beef Pasty. After lunch I took photos just outside Gateshead Interchange.

1239 21 Gateshead - Newcastle Blackett St. (GNE 6064)
Only a short journey so I can't think of anything to say about this.

Got a few photos in Newcastle City Centre then walked down the Quayside for some photos which didn't go to well.

1444 Q2 Quayside - City Centre (GNE 8310)
Not been on the Quaylink in a while and this was an alright journey and unlike the last time I rode it the next stop announcements worked today although I couldn't help but feel it was a bit dated as Real Radio has now become Heart and Gary and Lisa are no longer on there anymore. Nice ride on this Versa though.

Took a few photos around Newcastle mainly on Arriva's routes for around 35 minutes. Then I walked up to Arriva's Jesmond Depot where I went to see if there was anything new there and I got a photo of a MAX and Sapphire StreetLite's parked together - NOTICE: the photo of the StreetLite's was taken outside the depot and my longer lense was used to get the photo.

1619 309 Sandyford Road? - Colbalt (GNE 6023)
The big disappointment of the day, I was expecting a nice Volvo B9TL with plush seats and WiFi then THIS turned up and I almost let this go past as I couldn't read the screen especially when it was emerging from under the bridge. This bus was okay but was still annoyed I got this old thing without WiFi which meant using my mobile data.

1716 58X Colbalt - Newcastle (GNE 5385)
This was the first bus back to Newcastle after the 919 had gone so I hopped on this as it was quicker than the 309 and I think we only stopped at one other stop in Colbalt then didn't stop again until we got to Newcastle so the journey only had about 5 passengers on the short journey. The bus was fairly nice apart from a few squeeks and was quite comfortable and I used the WiFi for most the journey.

1749 X21 Newcastle - Durham (GNE 6024)
Can't remember the name of the stop but it's the one before the bridge into Gateshead, saw this pass me whilst I was on the 58X then when I jumped off the 58X as I saw the X2 running really late so I thought I'd run down to this stop as I figured if I caught that I'd be able to catch the 1845 7 home instead of the 1915 journey but got to the stop and the X21 got there first so I jumped on this, didn't find the seat that comfortable for some reason and I certainly didn't find the driver mounting the kerb whilst going round Chester-le-Street very pleasant.

1845 7 Durham - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 1513)
Going back to not being able to connect to the WiFi on the 7 I tried on this journey and failed which was a shame as it's the first time in ages I've not been able to connect on the 7. One advantage to evening 7 journeys is that they don't seem as long and boring as the drivers really need to keep there foot down to keep to the tight timetable which thankfully this driver did.

I you enjoyed reading this review as it has taken over an hour to type and I am exhausted.

Some photos are now on my Flickr and more may be uploaded tomorrow.
I actually managed to drag myself out of bed, so I'm out and about today.

Starting the day off on a Lime, in true Marcus fashion.
Just woken up, think I'll head for the 128 later in the day. Can't decide where to go first...hmm...
(28 Mar 2015, 9:29 am)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Just woken up, think I'll head for the 128 later in the day. Can't decide where to go first...hmm...
Beamish straight away for the 128 to Durham. 😀
(28 Mar 2015, 9:46 am)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Beamish straight away for the 128 to Durham. 😀

I think I'll head to Sunderland first, then weave my way back. Smile

Any idea what's on?
646 is on the 128. Im on it now.
Is that anyone from NEB taking photos at the Metrocentre now?
With Dan on a day out. #foundhim
(28 Mar 2015, 11:53 am)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]With Dan on a day out. #foundhim
Wonder if Dan has sent out a distress signal.

"oh no! he's found me"
(28 Mar 2015, 11:53 am)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]With Dan on a day out. #foundhim

So he has forgiven you? If you are Olympian hunting, go back to either Durham or consett if you aren't there already. 

#friends