North East Buses

Full Version: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(03 Jan 2015, 7:11 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]I'm not sure there is a huge amount of end to end demand on the 7 though? Most people from Newton Aycliffe go into Darlington, whereas those from Ferryhill tend to head for Durham. The college loadings give a few problems (and hence we run a duplicate) but the double decks on order should sort this...

Whether there'd be enough demand to run an hourly non-stop express I'm not sure? You'd probably be reliant on people heading into town to catch the express to the other end, which means extra journey time for them and this may not be worth it once you take into account connection times etc. Whether you'd be able to grow the market from others heading to Durham - maybe?
Ah right okay, having never rode the route and instead, perhaps naively, going off comments, I assumed there was a great deal of traffic from people travelling end to end   Undecided
I'd say there are definitely capacity issues with the 7, so it's positive that E400s have been ordered. The 7 leaves from the stand next to my bus at Durham bus station, so I notice the loads almost every day. It didn't seem to be doing too badly when I was in Darlington yesterday, but nowhere near a full bus. I obviously can't comment on this, as it's once in a blue moon that I'm there to see the Darlington end of the journey.
(03 Jan 2015, 7:32 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]I'd say there are definitely capacity issues with the 7, so it's positive that E400s have been ordered. The 7 leaves from the stand next to my bus at Durham bus station, so I notice the loads almost every day. It didn't seem to be doing too badly when I was in Darlington yesterday, but nowhere near a full bus. I obviously can't comment on this, as it's once in a blue moon that I'm there to see the Darlington end of the journey.

It has been known for the queues for the 7 to stretch to outside the bus station at peak times.

Darlington Centre - Harrowgate Hill is the busiest section of the route and often leaves Darlington Town Centre with standees mostly people heading to Morrisons and live down North Road. The morning loads to Durham / Framwellgate Moor are horrendous and I hated how busy it was with it often being at full seating and standing capacity and some were left behind in Ferryhill and Nevilles Cross.
(03 Jan 2015, 7:11 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]I'm not sure there is a huge amount of end to end demand on the 7 though? Most people from Newton Aycliffe go into Darlington, whereas those from Ferryhill tend to head for Durham. The college loadings give a few problems (and hence we run a duplicate) but the double decks on order should sort this...

Whether there'd be enough demand to run an hourly non-stop express I'm not sure? You'd probably be reliant on people heading into town to catch the express to the other end, which means extra journey time for them and this may not be worth it once you take into account connection times etc. Whether you'd be able to grow the market from others heading to Durham - maybe?

I guess the only way to find out is to actually do a trial in most cases. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, but it'd be refreshing to see someone attempt it. Maybe just running non-stop between Durham and Darlington, except for DurhamGate and Ferryhill Market Place southwards, and serving Newton Aycliffe heading north, but then non-stop to DurhamGate.
ANE 4664 685 0921 Greenhead to Carlisle
ANE 4664 685/85 1007 Carlisle to Newcastle
ANE 7480 43 1318 Newcastle Haymarket to Cramlington
ANE 7480 43 1400? Cramlington to Newcastle Haymarket
TWM (forgot the metrocars) Haymarket to Kingston Park
TWM Kingston Park to Airport
TWM Airport to Haymarket
ANE 4661 85/685 1645 Newcastle to Greenhead
(03 Jan 2015, 6:14 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]How was 7454 compared with 7515?

7454 is the winner for me the acceleration from a standing start was so impressive even on the incline towards the Red Lion in Birtley. On the negative side the noise from the engine bay on 7454 became irritating to the point that I would not like to do a long journey on that bus.

7515 was rather boring it got me from Morpeth to Alnwick on time even with two minuets wait in Felton to time correct.  Despite the refurbished interior and the wifi there was nothing else about 7515 to excite me.

I did notice a considerable variation in the performance of the Arriva Enviro 400's with 7515 manging the route but lacking at times. 7517 started to struggle as soon as it reached the slight incline beyond Brunton Lane and seemed to lack power for the remiander of the journey. When 7519 turned up I noticed serious paint blistering around the doors and windows and thought is this going to be a disappointing journey. 7519 did not disappoint it manged the journey from Rothbury to Morpeth with ease with a decent speed on  the steep up hill sections.
(04 Jan 2015, 10:08 am)GuyParkRoyal wrote [ -> ]7454 is the winner for me the acceleration from a standing start was so impressive even on the incline towards the Red Lion in Birtley. On the negative side the noise from the engine bay on 7454 became irritating to the point that I would not like to do a long journey on that bus.

7515 was rather boring it got me from Morpeth to Alnwick on time even with two minuets wait in Felton to time correct.  Despite the refurbished interior and the wifi there was nothing else about 7515 to excite me.

I did notice a considerable variation in the performance of the Arriva Enviro 400's with 7515 manging the route but lacking at times. 7517 started to struggle as soon as it reached the slight incline beyond Brunton Lane and seemed to lack power for the remiander of the journey. When 7519 turned up I noticed serious paint blistering around the doors and windows and thought is this going to be a disappointing journey. 7519 did not disappoint it manged the journey from Rothbury to Morpeth with ease with a decent speed on  the steep up hill sections.
Nice to hear that 7454 is still performing well, and that it's "replacement " if you will managed to keep to time. Big Grin

Interesting that you also found performance variation between the E400's, something I've noticed before as well. It is good, I think, that some of the unrefurbished E400's are in a good, or better condition than those refurbished as they should provide good stand ins.
I'm off for just the one day tomorrow, both parents are back to work (they currently look like zombies). So, my grandma, who lives at the other end of our housing estate, has us for the day (me and my sister). I reckon my mam will drop me and my sister along there just before 09:00 when she starts work, so if I have some breakfast, I can leave her house at 09:30 and get into Chester to catch the 09:56 #X2 to Durham, then if it gets there for 10:15, I can float around at that nice little spot up at the top to take some photos and get a #21 back or something? Smile
(04 Jan 2015, 7:41 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]I'm off for just the one day tomorrow, both parents are back to work (they currently look like zombies). So, my grandma, who lives at the other end of our housing estate, has us for the day (me and my sister). I reckon my mam will drop me and my sister along there just before 09:00 when she starts work, so if I have some breakfast, I can leave her house at 09:30 and get into Chester to catch the 09:56 #X2 to Durham, then if it gets there for 10:15, I can float around at that nice little spot up at the top to take some photos and get a #21 back or something? Smile

North Road and the Roundabout is better.
Hate the spot in the bus station.
(04 Jan 2015, 7:54 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]North Road and the Roundabout is better.

Down to opinion, I guess. I quite like that spot, and I know Fozz has said that he likes it in the past as well.

[Image: 14320320489_8239a4741b.jpg]Arriva North East: 1515 / NL63VRK by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

Personally think this is one of my best Sapphire 7 photos (and that's coming from someone who prefers to get away from bus stations and take photos en-route).
(04 Jan 2015, 7:58 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Down to opinion, I guess. I quite like that spot, and I know Fozz has said that he likes it in the past as well.

[Image: 14320320489_8239a4741b.jpg]Arriva North East: 1515 / NL63VRK by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

Personally think this is one of my best Sapphire 7 photos (and that's coming from someone who prefers to get away from bus stations and take photos en-route).

Yes I guess so - I can't get the right angle, and I think North Road, and the hospital is better.
I suppose one downside to that spot is the fact that the only reason I only took a few there was because there were people waiting in parked cars staring.

#itsjustourhobby
#aintnothinggonnabreakmystride
(04 Jan 2015, 7:54 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]North Road and the Roundabout is better.

When I went the other week I stood between the sign about bikes and next to the wall and stood on the drain just coming into the bus station and got okay shots (the light wasn't great on this day though).

Here is one of the photos
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@...850080010/

(04 Jan 2015, 8:04 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]I suppose one downside to that spot is the fact that the only reason I only took a few there was because there were people waiting in parked cars staring.

#itsjustourhobby
#aintnothinggonnabreakmystride

You get that anywhere, just ignore it.
(04 Jan 2015, 8:05 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]You get that anywhere, just ignore it.

I suppose it's just a feeling of uneasiness. I'm fairly new to the photography side of things, so I suppose it may just me a while. haha
Never been to Durham for a very long time, somewhere I will hopefully go next weekend.
Will try that spot, but was never a big fan of it.
(04 Jan 2015, 8:04 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Yes I guess so - I can't get the right angle, and I think North Road, and the hospital is better.

One of the best photos I've taken (in my opinion) is this shot just round from the County Hospital. Rare working too which was an added bonus.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@...7421769758
(04 Jan 2015, 8:07 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]I suppose it's just a feeling of uneasiness. I'm fairly new to the photography side of things, so I suppose it may just me a while. haha

I was at first but you get used to it.

Although someone gave me weird looks when I sneezed at the gym today which made me think what is your problem, I haven't got ebola or something.
(04 Jan 2015, 8:10 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]One of the best photos I've taken (in my opinion) is this shot just round from the County Hospital. Rare working too which was an added bonus.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@...7421769758

I quite like this spot in Durham, as they come out under the viaduct - https://www.flickr.com/photos/61391443@N02/8136239071
(04 Jan 2015, 8:25 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]I quite like this spot in Durham, as they come out under the viaduct - https://www.flickr.com/photos/61391443@N02/8136239071

I've tried this spot but I think all my shots came out blurry but I may give it a go again when the weather is better, my camera is terrible for blurry shots when it is gloomy but brilliant on a sunny summers day.
(04 Jan 2015, 8:25 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]I quite like this spot in Durham, as they come out under the viaduct - https://www.flickr.com/photos/61391443@N02/8136239071

Also quite like that spot, but it's quite awkward to get it on a sunny day.

Think you have to wait until around July, and you're looking at it being about 17:00 before you can get the sun at a decent enough angle behind you.