North East Buses

Full Version: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(06 Mar 2016, 11:04 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]Not by stagecoach.

And I'm not sure we could get there that early on a Saturday, by any bus. Our first Saturday bus into Durham arrives after 8am.

Oh I didn't mean to suggest the entire region has links to Newcastle via Stagecoach. In fact I think their inter-city links are pretty poor. I based the entire journey on Mon-Fri timetables, I think it could fall apart on a Saturday!

Speaking of Stagecoach I once travelled on a Megabus form Manchester - Middlesbrough and connected onto the 1 to Hartlepool. The fare for the Manc-Boro part was less then the Boro-Hpool section!
Another challenge I'd like to do. Middlesbrough to Manchester in one day, using only stagecarriage services and on a single bus ticket. Made possible by the Dalesbus network which is to return this year, this journey is based on Sunday 2015 timetables and the full journey is covered on a £12 Dales Freedom Rover ticket.

[830] 0905 Middlesbrough OR 0947 Darlington - Ingleton 1220
[581] 1300 Ingleton - Settle 1325
same vehicle continues as [580] 1330 Settle - Skipton 1410
[872] 1455 Skipton - Manchester 1751

Return on a Megabus/Nat Ex. at additional cost.

It won't be everybody's cup of tea but I find it very interesting that such a long journey is possible on just 3 vehicles, even if it is 3 hours on a solo!

Would involve some epic scenery and interesting routes. If you're able to entertain yourself with music or a good read along the way it could be a fun day out.
(07 Mar 2016, 11:46 pm)James101 wrote [ -> ]Another challenge I'd like to do. Middlesbrough to Manchester in one day, using only stagecarriage services and on a single bus ticket. Made possible by the Dalesbus network which is to return this year, this journey is based on Sunday 2015 timetables and the full journey is covered on a £12 Dales Freedom Rover ticket.

[830] 0905 Middlesbrough OR 0947 Darlington - Ingleton 1220
[581] 1300 Ingleton - Settle 1325
same vehicle continues as [580] 1330 Settle - Skipton 1410
[872] 1455 Skipton - Manchester 1751

Return on a Megabus/Nat Ex. at additional cost.

It won't be everybody's cup of tea but I find it very interesting that such a long journey is possible on just 3 vehicles, even if it is 3 hours on a solo!

Would involve some epic scenery and interesting routes. If you're able to entertain yourself with music or a good read along the way it could be a fun day out.

I've thought about doing Dalesbus, starting in Darlington on the 830 to Ingleton then heading over to Skipton and then onto York then train back to Darlington. Hopefully this will be possible again in 2016, Arriva North East are definitely running the 830 between Middlesbrough and Ingleton again this year and they also seem to be running service 581 between Ingleton and Settle Market Place, so unsure if Kirkby Lonsdale Coach Hire will be doing the 580/581 on Sunday's again this year or not, hoping they are! Also Arriva Yorkshire will be running a Dalesbus service between Ripon and Richmond as service 859 this year which will probably continue to/from Dewsbury. This is based on VOSA registrations which are now appearing online. Hopefully timetables will be released soon.
Does anyone know what Hadrian Park is like for bus photos, as I may spend an hour or so there on Monday.
(10 Mar 2016, 7:52 pm)Davie wrote [ -> ]Does anyone know what Hadrian Park is like for bus photos, as I may spend an hour or so there on Monday.

It's ok but not the best.
(10 Mar 2016, 7:52 pm)Davie wrote [ -> ]Does anyone know what Hadrian Park is like for bus photos, as I may spend an hour or so there on Monday.

Its ok, Have you tried Cobalt yet? I might try there.

Hadrian Park is decent not too rough either so shouldn't have any problems. Will give you a chance to get the MPDs too. 

Cobalt is also good as it's normally quiet through the day,  and plenty of buses now the 22 goes there. Often has ALX300s when I get on it too 22011/22014 have been on there a few times this week.
(10 Mar 2016, 8:21 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Hadrian Park is decent not too rough either so shouldn't have any problems. Will give you a chance to get the MPDs too. 

Cobalt is also good as it's normally quiet through the day,  and plenty of buses now the 22 goes there. Often has ALX300s when I get on it too 22011/22014 have been on there a few times this week.
I did Cobalt one afternoon about a year ago on the last day of the 919 service, was quite good there, here are some photos:

https://flic.kr/p/rPzNAu
https://flic.kr/p/rvnG5a
https://flic.kr/p/rMphaL
https://flic.kr/p/rx8btA
(10 Mar 2016, 8:07 pm)DanPicken wrote [ -> ]It's ok but not the best.
Cheers for the feedback bud.
(10 Mar 2016, 8:14 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]Its ok, Have you tried Cobalt yet? I might try there.
Good idea, I'll give it a try.

(10 Mar 2016, 8:21 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Hadrian Park is decent not too rough either so shouldn't have any problems. Will give you a chance to get the MPDs too. 

Thanks Tom. I have noticed quite a few ALX300's on the 22 lately. The reason why I chose Hadrian Park was for the MPD's.

(10 Mar 2016, 8:25 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I did Cobalt one afternoon about a year ago on the last day of the 919 service, was quite good there, here are some photos:

https://flic.kr/p/rPzNAu
https://flic.kr/p/rvnG5a
https://flic.kr/p/rMphaL
https://flic.kr/p/rx8btA
Nice pics Jimmi. Big Grin
Think tomorrow I may take a crack at doing a "no repeat bus type outing" think I'll get the 5/5A to Bishop Auckland, then I may sample the SB Travel 108/109 to Willington then catch a 46 to Durham and hope and pray a Pulsar doesn't turn up then see where I go from there.

Still can't believe that I did four round trips on the Stagecarriage service 84 between Stockton and Stillington this afternoon!
(11 Mar 2016, 8:46 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Think tomorrow I may take a crack at doing a "no repeat bus type outing" think I'll get the 5/5A to Bishop Auckland, then I may sample the SB Travel 108/109 to Willington then catch a 46 to Durham and hope and pray a Pulsar doesn't turn up then see where I go from there.

Still can't believe that I did four round trips on the Stagecarriage service 84 between Stockton and Stillington this afternoon!

Doubt you'll get a Pulsar on the 46 if that diversion is still in place at Weekends, E200s should be allocated and maybe a DAF. ( That's if the diversion is still in place )

How did you manage that!? Is it that Stagecarrige driver that's on Flickr? My outing was a farce tonight.
(11 Mar 2016, 8:54 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]Doubt you'll get a Pulsar on the 46 if that diversion is still in place at Weekends, E200s should be allocated and maybe a DAF. ( That's if the diversion is still in place )

How did you manage that!? Is it that Stagecarrige driver that's on Flickr? My outing was a farce tonight.
Would love a Lowlander on the 46 although I wouldn't mind a Enviro 200, even though the seats are as plastic as owt!

The 84 was the enthusiast bus this afternoon, there was me and two other passengers who were enthusiasts and Si Smart was driving, so that makes four of us, was a good way of killing some time. It seemed to amuse/confuse the regular passengers on the service!
(11 Mar 2016, 9:06 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Would love a Lowlander on the 46 although I wouldn't mind a Enviro 200, even though the seats are as plastic as owt!

The 84 was the enthusiast bus this afternoon, there was me and two other passengers who were enthusiasts and Si Smart was driving, so that makes four of us, was a good way of killing some time. It seemed to amuse/confuse the regular passengers on the service!

Get them while you can I suppose.

Haha did the other two stay the four journeys too? Aye Si Smart that's who I meant he seems a nice lad.
(11 Mar 2016, 9:24 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]Get them while you can I suppose.

Haha did the other two stay the four journeys too? Aye Si Smart that's who I meant he seems a nice lad.

Lowlander's seem to be appearing less on the 56/57/57A/86, more often it seems to be Pulsar's and E200's working alongside the Solo's. 46/48 seem to be a good place to find them.

Sort of, me and another did four full round trips whilst the other joined us at University Hospital of North Tees on our way back to Stockton on our first round trip.
Had 7444 all the way to Stanhope and back the other day... Magnificent!
(11 Mar 2016, 10:31 pm)LeeCalder wrote [ -> ]Had 7444 all the way to Stanhope and back the other day... Magnificent!

I'm not keen on that batch for comfort. The seats are cheap and nasty rubbish, and impossible to sit comfortably on for longer than 15 minutes. I had 7454 recently, and I much prefer that for comfort.

I had thought 7444 was looking rather tatty nowadays too mind, but there's obviously not much point in repainting it now.
(11 Mar 2016, 10:47 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]I'm not keen on that batch for comfort. The seats are cheap and nasty rubbish, and impossible to sit comfortably on for longer than 15 minutes. I had 7454 recently, and I much prefer that for comfort.

I had thought 7444 was looking rather tatty nowadays too mind, but there's obviously not much point in repainting it now.

I'm not to keen on Urban 90's, but they have done the job I suppose.

It is looking quite tatty, but I've seen some vehicles look worse straight out the paint shop.
(12 Mar 2016, 7:30 am)LeeCalder wrote [ -> ]I'm not to keen on Urban 90's, but they have done the job I suppose.

It is looking quite tatty, but I've seen some vehicles look worse straight out the paint shop.
As have I, considering its not been repainted at all iirc, it's doing well.
Kingsley's V178 MEV might as well still be in it's Stagecoach London livery...

It operated one of the scholars when I was at LLOB last year, and I was speaking to the driver and he said all the paint jobs are done on site, and pretty dire.
Doing well on my 'no repeat bus type' outing, although things may get complicated later, especially as I'm aiming for North Shields next then Sunderland and annoyingly I've already used a Renown and I think there is only two Omnicitys on the 9 today with the remainder of the PVR being B10's. Bad enough I had to get the 58 from Heworth to Newcastle as it was pretty much the only type of bus I could use.