North East Buses

Full Version: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(07 May 2015, 8:17 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]That's decent for Edinburgh. It's worth keeping an eye on the rail fares though, as you can do Edinburgh and back on fixed tickets for not a lot.

I'd also recommend checking fares for Newcastle to Glasgow Queen Street/Central, because the stretch between Glasgow and Edinburgh is open ticket, despite being fixed between Newcastle and Edinburgh.

I have had the 18.30 EC out of Durham in 1st for just over £20. 16.50 (think it's a few mins later these days) crossstinky for £13 home the next day.

Put in a random trip for 7/7. Cheapest is £17.50 there. £18 back the next day. Both direct.
(07 May 2015, 8:17 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]That's decent for Edinburgh. It's worth keeping an eye on the rail fares though, as you can do Edinburgh and back on fixed tickets for not a lot.

I'd also recommend checking fares for Newcastle to Glasgow Queen Street/Central, because the stretch between Glasgow and Edinburgh is open ticket, despite being fixed between Newcastle and Edinburgh.

If I was to go to Glasgow on Wednesday 24th June for the Day.

07:43 - Newcastle to Glasgow - 10:43 = £10
19:30 - Glasgow to Newcastle - 22:44 = £10

And for Edinburgh

07:43 - Newcastle to Edinburgh - 09:21 = £9
21:00 - Edinburgh to Newcastle - 22:44 = £9

Definately worth taking advantage of the open ticket between Edinburgh and Glasgow, no doubt I could do 12 Hours in Edinburgh by going to Various Spots, not to familiar with Glasgow as I only know around Buchanan Bus Station/Rail Station and the Shopping Area from when I used to go up as a Kid, 2007 was the last time I was up there mind.

Just had a look on the VTEC website and I can see booking for a Saturday in advance, you can get it for about £10 each way.

Depart: Newcastle dep. 07:43
Change at: Edinburgh arr. 09:20 dep. 09:38
Arrive: Glasgow Queen Street, 10:43
Changes: 1    Duration: 3h 0m

Is the 0938 departure on ScotRail merely an advised connection, rather than mandatory? 
(07 May 2015, 8:38 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Just had a look on the VTEC website and I can see booking for a Saturday in advance, you can get it for about £10 each way.

Depart: Newcastle dep. 07:43
Change at: Edinburgh arr. 09:20 dep. 09:38
Arrive: Glasgow Queen Street, 10:43
Changes: 1    Duration: 3h 0m

Is the 0938 departure on ScotRail merely an advised connection, rather than mandatory? 

Yeah. It'll work out the quickest route. There's no ticket restrictions between Edinburgh and Glasgow though, so you're free to use any train you want.
Just a rather simple review of today's outing including what happened with GNE 6014.

0902 7 Newton Aycliffe - Durham (ANE 1522)
1000 15 Durham - Lanchester (GNE 6014)
1052 15A Lanchester - Consett Bus Station (GNE 60??)
1130 78 Consett Bus Station - Annfield Plain Tesco (GNE 5407)
1210 V8 Annfield Plain Tesco - Stanley Bus Station (GNE 641)
1245 8 Stanley Bus Station - Pelton Bridge (GNE 5408)
1335 8 Pelton Bridge - Chester-le-Street (GNE 5404)
1415 36 Chester-le-Street - Great Lumley (GNE 5303)
1516 Great Lumley - Penshaw Monument (GNE 5400)
1625? 2A Penshaw Monument - Sunderland (GNE 4942)
1720 X21/21 Sunderland - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 4811).

You may have seen my posts about the issues on 6014 earlier, it left Durham normal enough of course was disappointed it wasn't a Yellow Bus Olympian but on we go. When we got to some temporary lights by Earl's House Hospital (think it's classed as a hospital?) the bus started moving really slowly, at first I thought we were just stuck behind something slow but later discovered there was nothing in front of us. When we got to Witton Gilbert the driver pulled into the stop turned the engine off, went to the back of the bus at one point. Then we got going again and got as far as the next stop, engine turned off again and a phone call as for what to do, the decision was to continue to Consett, not sure this was the right decision when the bus is limping especially with the 15 route where the roads aren't very wide and there are hills to climb so you may be wondering how slow we were going? Well according to the driver we were going about 15mph! the end result is everything was trying to overtake us including lorrys. After an age we got to Lanchester at around 1042 and that was the end of that journey so we had to wait for the next 15A to continue on to Consett.

Thought the Coast and Country StreetLite's handled the route fine and they are nice inside.

Had lots of waiting time in places to get photos, some of these photos turned out well, some didn't. Penshaw Monument really went wrong with the sun being in the wrong place and had to wait AGES for a 2/2A to head to Sunderland.

Didn't do a review like I normally do as I couldn't think of ways to make riding StreetLite's sound intresting enough
(07 May 2015, 8:40 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Yeah. It'll work out the quickest route. There's no ticket restrictions between Edinburgh and Glasgow though, so you're free to use any train you want.

Not if it's an advance ticket and states 'Valid only with reservations' with the reservation being on the 0938 unfortunately.
(07 May 2015, 10:06 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Not if it's an advance ticket and states 'Valid only with reservations' with the reservation being on the 0938 unfortunately.

Can you even get reservations on the SR services? Never had/seen one yet.
(07 May 2015, 10:06 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Not if it's an advance ticket and states 'Valid only with reservations' with the reservation being on the 0938 unfortunately.

I do the same ticket every time I go that way. 0743 from Newcastle to Edinburgh, then whatever I fancy over to Glasgow. Same with coming back. I always have a reservation on the 1830 from Edinburgh to Newcastle, but take any train between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

The ticket always comes through as 'VTEC & Connections' with 'BOOKDTRAINONLY' as the validity, but you can't reserve seats on the Edinburgh to Queen Street service? 
Ah, may be right then. Because you can't reserve a seat doesn't mean you can get an advance ticket though.

Unfortunately due to money restraints and a crappy weather forecast tomorrow I can't go to Carlisle (sorry Jimmi). Will do another time.
Well seem as the weather forecast for Carlisle is terrible and Sean has now bailed on me I have decided to rethink tomorrow's outing and do a trip on Teesside instead.

Not sure what to do yet but I will probably just do a random trip on Teesside.

Any Teesside suggestions?

Will probably do Carlisle one Saturday in June now.
(08 May 2015, 7:31 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Well seem as the weather forecast for Carlisle is terrible and Sean has now bailed on me I have decided to rethink tomorrow's outing and do a trip on Teesside instead.

Possibly a 7 to Yarm or 15 to Ingleby Barwick then a 17 to Middlesbrough so you can ride the Cadets?
Don't think I'm very accessible tomorrow as I'm on an early finishing at 1310... Starting 0647 at Easington til 1058 then 1155 29 to Marton and back
(08 May 2015, 7:33 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Possibly a 7 to Yarm or 15 to Ingleby Barwick then a 17 to Middlesbrough so you can ride the Cadets?

Could do. Don't know Ingleby Barwick but should be okay if I do a quick look on Google Maps I could probably do it.

See what happens tomorrow.
(08 May 2015, 7:40 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Could do. Don't know Ingleby Barwick but should be okay if I do a quick look on Google Maps I could probably do it.

See what happens tomorrow.

Everything stops at Tesco which is probably the best landmark - all use the same stop
(08 May 2015, 7:45 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]Everything stops at Tesco which is probably the best landmark - all use the same stop

Looks easy enough, may include there.
(08 May 2015, 7:31 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Well seem as the weather forecast for Carlisle is terrible and Sean has now bailed on me I have decided to rethink tomorrow's outing and do a trip on Teesside instead.

The 45 tomorrow is presently down to be VAG606R - a rare chance to see that on something other than 88 or X56.
(08 May 2015, 7:54 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Looks easy enough, may include there.

The connection between 15 and 17 doesn't really work though as it misses by 7 mins heading towards Middlesbrough, though this can be done by (crossing the road) connecting at the Teal Arms... 15 mins towards Yarm but this is only one an hour of course.
(08 May 2015, 8:01 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]The 45 tomorrow is presently down to be VAG606R - a rare chance to see that on something other than 88 or X56.

Quite fancy a ride on that, if it is indeed out tomorrow think I'll head up to Billingham on it.

Apologies! Be best another time though. Carlisle is a moody city already without rain and fog. Big Grin

Mid-late June would be best for me as I'm on holiday the first couple of weeks. Plus I will have been paid after the 15th.
(08 May 2015, 8:07 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Apologies! Be best another time though. Carlisle is a moody city already without rain and fog. Big Grin

Mid-late June would be best for me as I'm on holiday the first couple of weeks. Plus I will have been paid after the 15th.

I know Carlisle is terrible in bad weather, I found that out the last time I was there, thought we needed a boat not an Omnicity Big Grin

May have to be Saturday June 27th as I may be busy on the 20th.