North East Buses

Full Version: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(06 Dec 2014, 3:46 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Seem as there was No MAX Omnicitys on the X26/X27 and the X66 today, I ended up doing a random bus trip with no plan.

0856 5A Newton Aycliffe - Darlington (ANE 1427)
1040 X66 Darlington - Middlesbrough (ANE 2841)
1200 X9 Middlesbrough - Peterlee (GNE 6044)
1239 24 Peterlee - Durham (ANE 7435)
1402 6 Durham - Spennymoor (ANE 7456)
1434 8 Spennymoor - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 1616)

Think I will have to do more trips with no plans as they seem to be more fun, somehow making a plan knocks the fun out of it slightly for me, next Saturday I may get a bus to Durham and see what turns up, hopefully a Volvo Olympian!

Tried to post earlier but my Tynedalexpress Wifi conked out, making me lose my message!!

Definitely think that trips with no plans are the best for both excitement and fun, with plans being created in your head potentially being changed at the last minute (I was so close to having a return to Carlisle [knew the driver] but then 3822 turned up!).
I came along today as my mam was having an afternoon out and she wanted a lift back home as she'd be drinking. I went overboard and got the second 10 out of Hexham to have as much time as I could. As per my previous post, it was ruddy freezing, and to make matters worse, the driver never turned the heating onboard the B9 over to Newcastle. Still, it was a decent run over, taking 65 minutes as very little was in the way. I was tempted to bail at Metrocentre and see what turned up but I wasn't sure much would be running at 0720, the only bus I saw was a Blaydon Racers Citaro on the 49C so I played it safe and stuck on the TEN to Eldon Square.

I was intending to get some of the routes (more importantly those that are now Max/Sapphire) 'cleared' as I've only been on a handful. Walked over to Haymarket, got my Greggs bacon and sausage bap with a mocha (Big Grin) and one of a handful of buses to leave before 0800 was an X5 to Blyth. Thought why not go on it so off I went, there were a few people on but not that many. Good run up to Blyth, this time the heating was on!
Was unsure what to do once I got to Blyth Bus Station though, I was walking towards a 308 that was parked up but it left before I got there and I couldn't be arsed running and flagging it down, making a tit of myself. What turned up a few minutes before never caught my eye but I went for it, some medieval Arriva Cadet thing, 1401. Sounded like a cross between an MPD and a Pulsar, but it was rather good! Went on the 1 from Blyth to Ashington. On the way I checked Realtime Trains and noticed there was one of three GBRf coal services to pass on the Blyth & Tyne line that day so I wandered down to Hirst Lane crossing to take a few pictures. Crossing Keeper invited me into the cabin into the warmth and we had a chat, I was asking about his job etc and he was saying there's usually 2-3 trains a day and what he does (waves them past the crossing with a green flag then safety checks the train). 66733 soon passed and I had a walk over to Arriva Ashington depot. Of note, there was a Spectra, training DAF coach (ex 1206) and a Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini) parked up, an MPD in the bus wash and a pair of ALX400s parked up out the way next to a filthy X15-branded E400.

Walked back over to Ashington Bus Station and fancied a trip on one of the new Streetlites on the 35/35A. To my surprise (was a nice surprise) turned up 7491, Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini. Went over to Newbiggin on the 35A before crossing the road to come back on a Streetlite (with a Sapphire X21 following right behind).
Got this over to Morpeth where I got another Greggs (was about 1100 now) and enjoyed the festivities, including a brass band. The 1123 X18 for Newcastle turned up and I looked behind and noticed around 60-70 people waiting to board. The E400 which turned up was quite full already so I wasn't expecting to board. A few others and I decided to get the X14 which was due in 10 mins (the X18 was already 8 minutes late arriving, 11 minutes late leaving). Thankfully, unlike the previous X14 which was an MPD, an X15-branded E400 turned up in its place. It slowly got busier as we got towards Newcastle because of the football.

Got back to Haymarket where I had a walk over to Eldon Square again (it had warmed up a bit!) and I was aiming to get an X1 as I'd never been on one south of Gateshead before! However, two turned up at once (think one was 20+ minutes late) and one boarded a couple of people at another stand, catching me out. All of the others were waiting to board at Stand B so I thought I'd rather not! Had a walk down to the bottom of the station and noticed 4661 on an 85 with one of my mates driving. Nearly boarded it but as I was walking up to the stand, I noticed this big yellow thing on Percy Street and that changed everything! It parked up at Stand E on an X71 for Consett so I went along. Was an average ride tbh, nothing spectacular but it was better than an Omnicity!
At Consett I ran down to stand B where a Lolyne was standing on a 15A for Durham. Just made it as the doors closed 15 seconds after! Had this to Durham where I waited for a 64 to Arnison Centre but one never turned up. It was cold so I got bored and went back to the bus station and got 6066 on a 21 to Newcastle.
Decided I was going to get the 1745 85 back to Hexham so I had time to kill but not much, just around 1h45 or so. I went to Haymarket and had a little trip to Gateshead and back (you guessed it, Greggs!) where I noticed a GNE X85 pulling in for the 1710, so I just got this and came home 45 mins earlier.

All in all:
GNE 10 0642 Hexham to Eldon Square - 6072
ANE X5 0737 Haymarket to Blyth - 7601
ANE 1 0846(?) Blyth to Ashington - 1401
ANE 35A 1006 Ashington to Newbiggin - 7491
ANE 35 1025(?) Newbiggin to Morpeth - 1579
ANE X14 1138 Morpeth to Haymarket - 7512
GNE X71 1220(?) Eldon Square to Consett - 3822 - was 25 minutes late at 1255 according to the driver
GNE 15A 1345 Consett to Durham - 3860
GNE 21 1446 Durham to Eldon Square - 6066
ANE X22 1605(?) Haymarket to Gosforth - 7523
ANE X22 1620(?) Gosforth to Haymarket - 7507
TWM 1638 Haymarket to Gateshead - 4050 4081
TWM 1644 Gateshead to Haymarket - 4076 4061
GNE X85 1710 Eldon Square to Hexham - 5232.

Bloody brilliant day, well worth the £9.50 I paid for my Explorer. No fuss and really enjoyed myself.

Sean (thanks for reading!)
@Sean

Not even going to try and quote that! haha

How many Gregg's did you need?! Greed! Tongue - no in all seriousness I'm even worse! I go about twice every time I'm out (tend pick up something for my mam and dad though, as they like to clean the house, and my room! haha, while I'm out), because I'm just a lovely child!

Did you get many good photos? Smile
(06 Dec 2014, 9:45 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]@Sean

Not even going to try and quote that! haha

How many Gregg's did you need?! Greed! Tongue - no in all seriousness I'm even worse! I go about twice every time I'm out (tend pick up something for my mam and dad though, as they like to clean the house, and my room! haha, while I'm out), because I'm just a lovely child!

Did you get many good photos? Smile

Hehe 3 all in all. One breaky, one for a small lunch (just a sausage roll) and in the evening I had a cookie. Might start getting my mam and dad some stuff but hey ho. Smile

Got a handful of pics (35 or so) but I tend to take pictures in batches of 5 so I can pick the best. Not really had the time/been bothered to take that many, coupled with the short daylight hours. Will upload them at some point though!
(06 Dec 2014, 10:08 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Hehe 3 all in all. One breaky, one for a small lunch (just a sausage roll) and in the evening I had a cookie. Might start getting my mam and dad some stuff but hey ho. Smile

Got a handful of pics (35 or so) but I tend to take pictures in batches of 5 so I can pick the best. Not really had the time/been bothered to take that many, coupled with the short daylight hours. Will upload them at some point though!

At least I can quote this one! Tongue

3?! At the Chester-le-Street branch (you may have been before! Tongue) there's always someone sitting at a little desk where the back is. I understand he's the manager, and obviously he has other work to do so he spends less time up front. He's really cheery when he's serving, but good grief, when's he sitting in that chair! - he's like a piece of wet scrambled egg, just so annoyed with life! Tongue

I look forward to seeing them! Smile
(06 Dec 2014, 10:13 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]At least I can quote this one! Tongue

3?! At the Chester-le-Street branch (you may have been before! Tongue) there's always someone sitting at a little desk where the back is. I understand he's the manager, and obviously he has other work to do so he spends less time up front. He's really cheery when he's serving, but good grief, when's he sitting in that chair! - he's like a piece of wet scrambled egg, just so annoyed with life! Tongue

I look forward to seeing them! Smile

I've done more in the past, trust me! Actually don't think I've been to Chester Greggs before, will make a point of going next time I'm in the area Smile - I'll keep an eye out for him too!
As promised:

[Image: 15965680415_d9c5ea8df3_n.jpg]66733 6N66 by Northern156, on Flickr

[Image: 15778402050_7d547f39fb_n.jpg]Arriva North East 7515 NK09FNA by Northern156, on Flickr

[Image: 15963704001_7b04696c36_n.jpg]Arriva North East 1764 NK05GWC by Northern156, on Flickr

[Image: 15965024022_12252c952d_n.jpg]Arriva North East 7470 X504GGO by Northern156, on Flickr

Only the four I'm afraid!
I had no plan, went well, but will post details later as it is hard on my phone.
But Sean that sounds great. Would have been the 35 to Newbiggin, as the 35A goes to Woodhorn.
(07 Dec 2014, 10:47 am)Tom wrote [ -> ]I had no plan, went well, but will post details later as it is hard on my phone.
But Sean that sounds great. Would have been the 35 to Newbiggin, as the 35A goes to Woodhorn.

It goes via Newbiggin though where I alighted Smile
Today's rare Sunday outing is as follows (updated throughout the day):

1158 Metro - Stadium of Light to Park Lane: T&WM 4051
1210 #78A - Sunderland to Consett - GNE 4897
(07 Dec 2014, 12:03 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Today's rare Sunday outing is as follows (updated throughout the day):

1158 Metro - Stadium of Light to Park Lane: T&WM 4051
1210 #78A - Sunderland to Consett - GNE 4897

Trapped in Consett now? Tongue
(07 Dec 2014, 8:28 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Trapped in Consett now? Tongue

Pftthahahaha!! Tongue - lucky to get out alive! Perhaps as a highly respected enthusiast, some FPF members may have braved their way up to Consett to save him from another back-breaking journey on a Stanley-based B10BLE! (I think Chester only have 1 or 2 duties on a Sunday! - and their B10BLEs are in fantastic shape!)
(07 Dec 2014, 8:28 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Trapped in Consett now? Tongue

Think the cold got to me, as I forgot to note the rest!

I got a 45 from Consett to Metrocentre at circa 1245, followed by an X66 to Gateshead (GNE 5389), a Metro to Felling (refurbished Metrocar), and another to Stadium of Light (again - refurbished).
(07 Dec 2014, 8:32 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Pftthahahaha!! Tongue - lucky to get out alive! Perhaps as a highly respected enthusiast, some FPF members may have braved their way up to Consett to save him from another back-breaking journey on a Stanley-based B10BLE! (I think Chester only have 1 or 2 duties on a Sunday! - and their B10BLEs are in fantastic shape!)

Pfft, 4909 was Chester's allocated Volvo B10BLE today... They're still battered and bruised from their days on the X7.
(07 Dec 2014, 8:34 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Pfft, 4909 was Chester's allocated Volvo B10BLE today... They're still battered and bruised from their days on the X7.

If only it had been 4854!
(07 Dec 2014, 8:37 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]If only it had been 4854!

Would have been happy days!
Found what I was wanting to do when I go to London in the New Year, Hopefully it wont take long to do and will hopefully provide some excellent Photo Opportunities as well.

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/campaign/sculpture-trails

Edit: Ill be doing the Westminister one.
(07 Dec 2014, 11:16 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Found what I was wanting to do when I go to London in the New Year, Hopefully it wont take long to do and will hopefully provide some excellent Photo Opportunities as well.

I would highly recommend waiting, Adam.
There's surely no rush to get the trip done in the New Year, when you could wait until it is warmer, better lighting conditions, and more daylight hours?
(07 Dec 2014, 11:16 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Found what I was wanting to do when I go to London in the New Year, Hopefully it wont take long to do and will hopefully provide some excellent Photo Opportunities as well.

I would highly recommend waiting, Adam.
There's surely no rush to get the trip done in the New Year, when you could wait until it is warmer, better lighting conditions, and more daylight hours?
(08 Dec 2014, 7:11 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]I would highly recommend waiting, Adam.

Due to being skint I havent booked the trip and I will not likely be doing so until after Christmas, unless my Dad gives me the £10 which he owes me on Thursday when he gets paid, either way due to missing the Megabus cut off time for Fares it pushes the Trip back a further week, I was looking at going on Wednesday 21st January 2015 iirc, its likely now going to be mid February before I get the chance to go, so roughly 8 Weeks possibly longer depending on when I book the Seats.

Weather wise itll be warmer in London than it is up here so that makes no difference to me unless it chucks it down with Rain like it did when I went to Edinburgh, but then again I wasnt bothered by it, Lighting Conditions shouldnt be too bad either and Daylight Hours should be more by that time anyway, ill be in London for 8 and a Half Hours anyway (8am to 16:30pm), so I would get a good 7 Hours of Daylight depending on Sunrise/Sunset, even if it got Dark around 4pm, it would make no difference as I would be in Coach Station waiting for the Coach back home by then.
I think I might have to be the one to point out - Megabus have now stopped doing the £5 Wednesday deals.