North East Buses

Full Version: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(03 Mar 2019, 10:53 am)Jamie M wrote [ -> ]Was doubtful I was going to feature this time round, but I found myself driving a Vyking at the bottom. Feels like about 6 months ago since I drove that thing!

Some good pictures in there too!

Thanks Jamie.

You haven't seen me as much in the last month photographing your usual X21 board as you've always had the president instead, seen you numerous times heading into town having just done a short 93.
(03 Mar 2019, 2:22 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Thanks Jamie.

You haven't seen me as much in the last month photographing your usual X21 board as you've always had the president instead, seen you numerous times heading into town having just done a short 93.

You're seeing him more than I do and that's saying something haha, appears you spotted him yesterday: https://flic.kr/p/2f1U89k
(03 Mar 2019, 4:52 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]You're seeing him more than I do and that's saying something haha, appears you spotted him yesterday: https://flic.kr/p/2f1U89k

Hadn't actually noticed to be fair.
(03 Mar 2019, 7:28 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Hadn't actually noticed to be fair.

A 12 year old driver - who isn't familiar with the concept of a hair cut or a shave, and it's probably me.

We havent had one of these recently!

In two minds whether to report back, but seeing as it's an area that hasn't really featured in the thread, I'd thought it was worth doing.

Saved for prosperity and all that jazz.

Shropshire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Wales featured amongst my most recent galavant.

Although Arriva seem to have kept their toes in the water in a number of the areas I travelled in, I was pleased to see some independents floating around. One to note was Lloyd's, who have really upped their game over the last 10/15 years.

They even had an indirect link to back home, with a sister of the local Omnidekka's (YN56 FDL) appearing on the Welsh coastal town of Barmouth - displaying 'Eldon Square' on its blind.

A fair few ADL products featured in the area, looking smart in the Traws Cyrmu livery. Two MMC 200s on trade plates passed us in mid-Wales at one point. No idea where there were going.

A glut of Solo's appeared and surprisingly, I lost count of the number of Versa's I saw. Either in a Traws Cymru or Arriva livery.

http://www.trawscymru.info/routes/ quite an extensive network, well worth an explore. 

Blue Diamond had quite a few Mini Darts kicking around (didn't see if any were ex-NE based) Kidderminster that looked like they had seen better days.

Minsterley seemed to like their Optare products too.

I also sampled the network in and around Shrewsbury.

The odd Centro or ADL product appeared, but most of the work seemed to be carried out by 09/60 plated Optare products. Including the Shropshire Council P&R services.

It seemed odd to see Thurmaston legals so far from Leicester.

Didnt get to ride any of the refurbished Versa's unfortunately.

One other point of note, was the 'decker come diner' parked just off the A49.

A quick bit of digging identified it as this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132545487@N06/23291133552

An area well worth an explore.

As a self-confessed StreetDeck fan, I thought I’d go into ‘reviewing’ GNE’s new ADL Enviro200 MMC for the Green Arrow 97 service with an open mind. Having been on the demonstration vehicle a few weeks back, I was pleasantly surprised with how nice and rattle free it was compared to previous examples I’ve been on.

I think I’ll start off with what I don’t like about it, I’ve made no bones about hating the look of the E200MMC, and my opinion on that has not changed. I do however think that the bright green base colour is a clever distraction from what is otherwise an ‘unappealing’ design. If we take a look at the livery, in the past when I had only seen photographs, I thought it looked a bit too cluttered with all the arrows, but I’m happy to say in person it doesn’t stick out as much as I thought it would. I might go as far as saying I think it fits well with the overall design of the bus.
Now that I have seen it in person enough times, I’ve think I’ve grown to like the new corporate livery, and I think it lends itself rather well to adaptation into a branded route. Another piece of design that I like is the extra piece of glass above the rear window. It really does let lots of light flood into what I think would be a very dingy back row with the relatively small rear window.

If I move on to the interior, the first thing you notice when you step on board (after the wonderful, yet probably very unhealthy new bus smell) is the drop down vandal screens, which makes it a lot easier to communicate with the driver! As you step further into the bus, you notice how bright and airy it feels, I was expecting the dark red wall panels to make it feel dark and dingy, but the large windows help make up for it.
While on the subject of interior styling, there were a few things which I’m not particularly a fan of, first of which is the mismatched emergency exit door. While I get it may have been intentional in order to make it stand out, I don’t think the grey door fits well with the beige plastic of the rest of the bus. I’m also not a big fan of the ceiling choice, the white plastic with a subtle texture makes it looks like they haven’t peeled the protective film off the ceiling yet, I would have liked to see the same blue-sky vinyl that has been used on the StreetDecks.

These vehicles are fitted with start stop technology to reduce emissions, although it was clear the driver wasn’t a fan as he would keep revving the engine while stopped to make sure it didn’t turn off. At the next stop I found out why he was doing this, the engine is fairly rough on start-up, although I suspect this could just be because it needs running in.
Compared to the demonstrator vehicle that I had a ride on a few weeks back, it felt quite sluggish up the hills around Whickham, and the demo had a full load. There were also quite few not-so-smooth gear changes thrown in as well for good measure. It wasn’t just me that picked up on this as when changing drivers in Gateshead, I overheard the driver saying he thinks there may be an issue with it.

An issue I have with most new buses is ride quality, and the E200MMC is no exception. It’s perfectly adequate over relatively new roads, but as soon as the roads start to fall apart, so does the ride. The firm ride means that you feel every imperfection in the road, but it is no worse than a StreetLite, perhaps a little better, but I’d have to ride them back to back on the same route to pick a winner. I personally feel it’s a downgrade in terms of pure ride quality over the Solars that they replace, but that brings me on to the next part of a good ride.
Now, to me, there is one thing that can make or break a bus, and that’s the choice of seats. It doesn’t matter how quiet and smooth the engine is, if you can only last 5 minutes on the seat, it’s a failure. Go North East decided to fit both the E200MMC single deckers and E400MMC double deckers with ADL’s SmartSeat rather than the Esteban Civic V3 seats that has been standard fit for many years now. Also new is the switch to half leather and half moquette from full leather seats. While I do have a preference for full leather seats, I will say the new style looks considerably better in person than it does in any photograph. The leather is softer than has been used in the past, and the new moquette feels thicker and more ‘grippy’ than their previous design. The rationale behind moving away from full leather is that leather seats are hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. However, I found that the new moquette tends to trap the heat in more than the leather seats, so my back felt very warm after a short while, which doesn’t happen with the full leather seats.

In terms of comfort, on first impressions the seats are very well padded, bordering on the line of being too spongy, but thankfully not crossing over. As I said previously, the texture of the new moquette means it the seats are grippy, but they still allow you to move around and find a comfortable position.
I found the seat base to be a bit too short for my typical ‘slouch’ seating style, but the lack of any form of legroom at most seats meant I had no choice but to sit up right, albeit with my knees still stuck in the chair in front.
My preferred seat on most buses is right beside the emergency exit due to the increased leg room on offer, but the design of the emergency exit door made sure I was uncomfortable there too. I feel like the handle on the door protrudes too far and it was digging into my arm.

For the first 30 minutes or so of the journey I found the seats very comfortable, the backrest had just the right amount of lean, and had a good amount of lumbar support. However, after about 30 minutes I felt like I had sunk through the top layer of padding and was sitting on the hard structure of the seat, granted I’m not exactly the lightest person around, but I’ve never had this issue with other seats (well, I’ve sat on worse, but usually it’s bad from the start). Being a regular user of the X21, I’m used to sitting on the same seat for a good 2 hours and to be honest I expected more of the SmartSeat. I know seats are a very subjective thing, but I personally prefer the Civic V3 seats on board the ex-Castles Express StreetDecks, while they are considerably firmer, they are more supportive over a long period of time. The leather seats on The Angel StreetDecks are a step above this with their extra padded layer, but I prefer the texture of the leather on the older examples.
After that half an hour, I had to move seats, which segues me into talking about the on board technology.

The back of each seat is fitted with an array of features, including a stop button, phone holder, USB port and two coat hooks. The USB port is a standard feature on most new buses now, but what is new is the stop button at every seat, this is a very handy feature especially when the bus is crowded, I’m used to buses like the StreetLite where there are nowhere near enough stop buttons, requiring you to actually stand up to hit the stop button at some seats, and when you hate people as much as I do, it’s better to miss your stop and have to get the bus back than it is asking the person next to you to move. Now, the downside of this is that the buttons are very easy to accidentally press, on my 50-minute journey the button was accidentally pressed twice. In fact, I accidentally pressed it myself when deboarding in Newcastle.

The phone holder is a good idea in theory, however my LG G7 just squeezes in, so people with the latest iPhone 11 Pro Max will probably have an issue. The limited size also means that there isn’t enough room for me to plug in the USB cable in the bottom of the phone while keeping it in the holder. And according to GNE, the main use for this feature would be to watch videos on the go, but without the ability to charge at the same time, I feel like it wasn’t thought through enough. Wireless charging was an option available for the phone holders, but unfortunately this option was not ticked by GNE, and I feel like this would have made the phone holder more useful.
Underneath the seat back console are two hooks, which in my opinion are borderline useless. The hooks are too small to be able to hook a carrier bag on, and too low to hang your coat on, unless you like having your coat touch the floor.

The new Green Arrow buses are among the first to receive Go North East’s updated Next Stop Announcement system, going back to using a TFT display rather than the LED display that has been standard fit for the past few years. While I didn’t get a chance to experience the new system, I have it on good authority that the new TFT displays are considerably better than the TFT displays of yore, and let’s be honest, they can’t be any worse!

To sum up, if I had to pick between the Wrightbus StreetLite and the ADL E200MMC based purely on my experience of GNE’s example, it would be an easy victory for the ADL. Which is something I never thought I’d say based on my previous experience of the E200MMC with other operators, I just hope that Go North East are able to keep it rattle free!

Had a recent one way grice out on the buses.

Wasn't in any particular rush, so made a 'game' of it as I have done in the past.

As the trip was only in one direction, I needed to vary the rules a bit.

This rule meant that I wasn't allowed to use the same type of vehicle or manufacturer. Quite difficult with the lack of choice or variety round here!

Whilst on the trip, I started thinking about some of the poor connections around Co Durham - specifically South East Durham.

GNE sort of wiggle their fingers around meekly at it. A bit like when you fish out food remnants from the plug

ANE get their fingers really dirty, but don't offer many different options, other than South East out of Durham - then North East towards the coast.

There's the X21 and X22, but again, it's north east towards Peterlee from Sedgefield.

[attachment=9235]

The orange indicates (as the crow flies) the current cross county network.

The blue indicates the potential for a north/south service of sorts.

Anyway, the trip went really well. Only one duplicate manufacturer (gutted to see a Temsa on the following X3/X4 board), otherwise it would have been a clean sweep!

X4 (Streetlite), X12 (Pulsar), X21 (MAN), 55 (Citaro), X20 (Solo).

Not exciting, but certainly better than the monotony of the A19 and an X9 or X10! Spend enough time on that road in the car.

If I'd done this trip a few months back, it would have all been X type services. Although apart from the X4, there's not much express about any of the services.

Think this is probably the best place for this:

Depending on how the coronavirus situation is, as long as it is safe I am looking at a trip to Yorkshire (South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire,York, The Humber or a variety i don’t mind).It’s an area i’ve never really explored.

I am more or less clueless about this area, does anyone have any tips or suggestions - anything unusual or worth trying to get photos of?

Any suggestions would be good

Cheers
(09 Jul 2020, 2:12 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Think this is probably the best place for this:

Depending on how the coronavirus situation is, as long as it is safe I am looking at a trip to Yorkshire (South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire,York, The Humber or a variety i don’t mind).It’s an area i’ve never really explored.

I am more or less clueless about this area, does anyone have any tips or suggestions - anything unusual or worth trying to get photos of?

Any suggestions would be good

Cheers
My area of expertise!
Would probably depend what you're after but there's a huge mix of independents in Yorkshire - everything from Reliance and Pullman in York to Leeds having CT Plus, Tetleys, Fourways, Squarepeg and wider across West Yorks you've got Southpennine, TLC, Stotts, Globe, Ross Travel and many more. Into South Yorks you've got TM Travel, CT Powells, Hulleys all providing a bit of interest.
That's amongst the millions of Arriva (& low cost brand Yorkshire Tiger), First and Stagecoach generally operating major services.
(09 Jul 2020, 2:56 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]My area of expertise!
Would probably depend what you're after but there's a huge mix of independents in Yorkshire - everything from Reliance and Pullman in York to Leeds having CT Plus, Tetleys, Fourways, Squarepeg and wider across West Yorks you've got Southpennine, TLC, Stotts, Globe, Ross Travel and many more. Into South Yorks you've got TM Travel, CT Powells, Hulleys all providing a bit of interest.
That's amongst the millions of Arriva (& low cost brand Yorkshire Tiger), First and Stagecoach generally operating major services.

Cheers!

It seems like it would be an interesting visit, possibly York, Sheffield and Leeds!

I often find First always have an older fleet, so hopefully there are still some interesting stuff left. I see Yorkshire Tiger also have a Spectra still in operation, would be good to catch up with that too.
(09 Jul 2020, 3:18 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Cheers!

It seems like it would be an interesting visit, possibly York, Sheffield and Leeds!

I often find First always have an older fleet, so hopefully there are still some interesting stuff left. I see Yorkshire Tiger also have a Spectra still in operation, would be good to catch up with that too.

As tyresmoke said, there's loads down there.
York - Hull is doable and from there, you have the X62 to Leeds to pick up the other bits and bob's.
(09 Jul 2020, 3:18 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Cheers!

Arriva Yorkshire have a Spectra still in service, 723 is currently working from Wakefield depot (it's on 444 today). Not sure if there's one at Tiger still.
You likely wouldn't recognise the First fleet... very little old or interesting vehicles left, bar the odd Scania Solar still doing the rounds in Leeds (primarily on route 5). Still some older ALX400's out in Halifax and Huddersfield but they're limited more and more to the YSB fleet at Halifax.
(09 Jul 2020, 3:25 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]As tyresmoke said, there's loads down there.
York - Hull is doable and from there, you have the X62 to Leeds to pick up the other bits and bob's.

I had no idea about the X62 - looks like it might be suspended due to the coronavirus.
its definitely not easy to plan anything in the current climate

(09 Jul 2020, 3:34 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]Arriva Yorkshire have a Spectra still in service, 723 is currently working from Wakefield depot (it's on 444 today). Not sure if there's one at Tiger still.
You likely wouldn't recognise the First fleet... very little old or interesting vehicles left, bar the odd Scania Solar still doing the rounds in Leeds (primarily on route 5). Still some older ALX400's out in Halifax and Huddersfield but they're limited more and more to the YSB fleet at Halifax.

Ahh, cheers - I always expect First to have an older fleet from my past experiences.
First buses also don’t seem to track on bustimes, so it’s a bit harder to see what it’s like.
(09 Jul 2020, 3:59 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ] I had no idea about the X62 - looks like it might be suspended due to the coronavirus.

Ahh, cheers - I always expect First to have an older fleet from my past experiences.
First buses also don’t seem to track on bustimes, so it’s a bit harder to see what it’s like.

Aye, essentially straight along the M62, with a couple of diversions. Not too different to the X9/10 really, but certainly an experience.
I'm sure there were coaches allocated at one point in the not too distant past.
http://lunatictravel.com/lbhl.html have a (very 1997 looking) website showing some images of the route.
(09 Jul 2020, 3:59 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]I had no idea about the X62 - looks like it might be suspended due to the coronavirus.

Yeah the X62 only runs 3 or 4 trips a day each way. Usually with E400s these days. 
First Leeds is majority Streetdecks now in the very smart green LeedsCity livery, with the B5 hybrids, and a handful of B9s, Streetlites and B7RLEs staying progressively being repainted too. The E400s have gone to Halifax to replace older stock there, and B7 Geminis can only be found in Halifax and Huddersfield these days if I remember right. Halifax also have a few Solos around but I'm not sure if they're stuck to a specific route.
Arriva meanwhile have the smartest fleet in the country in Yorkshire in my opinion, and decent variety of mainly newer stock with the odd few older oddballs still living on, including the Spectra as said earlier. Tiger meanwhile is the complete opposite, less said the better.
Cheers guys! The X46 from Hull to York is also another option if the times don’t work out for the X62
I found the X62 mind numbingly boring when I did the full route back in 2018 although I find straight A road / motorway routes boring personally. Don't mind the X46 too much although still a bit long for my liking but I typically split the journey at Beverley to make it more bearable.

I did some of the Hulleys network today, they've got some nice routes to do, hopefully get to do a bit more when things start to hopefully improve. I parked my car at Halfway Park & Ride so I could observe Powells on the Supertram replacement service currently running between Halfway and Gledless Townend mainly using ex Lothian B7s and Scania Omnicity double deckers, may go back to Sheffield again to catch some of their other deckers, saw a Vyking on the A1 service to Meadowhall in Sheffield this morning.

Yorkshire Tiger's Spectra is still going, was out on the 20 in Halifax today I believe from a photo I saw on Facebook
(09 Jul 2020, 9:54 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I found the X62 mind numbingly boring when I did the full route back in 2018 although I find straight A road / motorway routes boring personally. Don't mind the X46 too much although still a bit long for my liking but I typically split the journey at Beverley to make it more bearable.

I did some of the Hulleys network today, they've got some nice routes to do, hopefully get to do a bit more when things start to hopefully improve. I parked my car at Halfway Park & Ride so I could observe Powells on the Supertram replacement service currently running between Halfway and Gledless Townend mainly using ex Lothian B7s and Scania Omnicity double deckers, may go back to Sheffield again to catch some of their other deckers, saw a Vyking on the A1 service to Meadowhall in Sheffield this morning.

I personally love motorway journeys, gives me a chance to watch people in their cars! (the reason I prefer sitting backwards as well Tongue)

Having said that, if there's a 'scenic route' option, I'll pretty much always take that unless I need to get to the destination on time
(09 Jul 2020, 9:58 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]I personally love motorway journeys, gives me a chance to watch people in their cars! (the reason I prefer sitting backwards as well Tongue)

Having said that, if there's a 'scenic route' option, I'll pretty much always take that unless I need to get to the destination on time
On the m62, all the cars are doing is passing you above the speed limit! My parents are from the Hull so we do that road often!

The scenic route is the X46! We don't go that way often due to the caravan jam on the A64.
(09 Jul 2020, 10:48 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]On the m62, all the cars are doing is passing you above the speed limit! My parents are from the Hull so we do that road often!

The scenic route is the X46! We don't go that way often due to the caravan jam on the A64.

Trust me, sometimes you want the car next to you to speed past above the limit. I've seen some 'strange' things looking out the window on coach journeys!