North East Buses

Full Version: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sick of reading reviews containing Yellow Bus Olympians as I can't ever seem to ride one Angry

Can just never seem to find one, at times I will be stood in Newcastle for two hours and not see a single one and when I do see them it is only ever when I have to be somewhere or when I am out and about with other people.

Anyone got any suggestions for places/routes I may find them as they don't have long left and I want to have some rides on them before they bite the dust and before I am heavily focused on getting photos of new buses.
(11 Apr 2015, 7:24 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Sick of reading reviews containing Yellow Bus Olympians as I can't ever seem to ride one Angry

Can just never seem to find one, at times I will be stood in Newcastle for two hours and not see a single one and when I do see them it is only ever when I have to be somewhere or when I am out and about with other people.

Anyone got any suggestions for places/routes I may find them as they don't have long left and I want to have some rides on them before they bite the dust and before I am heavily focused on getting photos of new buses.

Just sit in Stanley until one pops up.
(11 Apr 2015, 7:25 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote [ -> ]Just sit in Stanley until one pops up.

That was one idea.

Hoped one would emerge in Consett yesterday but was left sadly disappointed and was left with an Omnicity Sad
As I imagine many people on here will be heading to the MetroCentre on Saturday for the X66 launch what is everyone thinking of doing?

Think I might catch the 0910 X24 from Durham direct to the MetroCentre which would get me there for around 10am when the event apparently starts.

Not sure what I'd do afterwards yet.
(16 Apr 2015, 12:29 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]As I imagine many people on here will be heading to the MetroCentre on Saturday for the X66 launch what is everyone thinking of doing?

Think I might catch the 0910 X24 from Durham direct to the MetroCentre which would get me there for around 10am when the event apparently starts.

Not sure what I'd do afterwards yet.

Can't come, the stupid respite times are 1430 to 1730. Can't get to the Metrocentre in time.

Got to make do with Central Station again. -.-
(16 Apr 2015, 12:33 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote [ -> ]Can't come, the stupid respite times are 1430 to 1730. Can't get to the Metrocentre in time.

Got to make do with Central Station again. -.-
Get the 100 there and back only 85p for a single.
(16 Apr 2015, 8:57 pm)danpick wrote [ -> ]Get the 100 there and back only 85p for a single.

Can't get to Metrocentre in less than 30 minutes, you know.  Wink

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ashingto...e52ef6!3e0
Anyone got any plans for tomorrow, think if I do end up going out tomorrow I will likely head up Stanley/Consett to Photograph the remaining Red Kite Omnicities, Renowns on the 8/78 and of course any Olympians I might see, then I think I might come back via MetroCentre so I can Photograph the ToonLink Renowns/B7RLEs before heading either Home or to my Dads to watch Chelsea vs Man U.
Changed my plan for tomorrow, I am going to start by heading off to Bishop Auckland and probably spend half an hour bored out of my mind again before jumping on an X1 to Crook Market Place then I will get a 46 to Durham. Will then probably head to the MetroCentre possibly on the 1110 X24 from Durham (not expecting a X66 StreetLite there now but will probably hang round here for a bit including heading somewhere for some scran). Not sure after that, see where the afternoon takes me.
This cold must be having an bad effect on me as I have found myself on 1314 on service 1 to Bishop Auckland.
Damn! I forgot the Bishop Food Festival is on today.

No idea who is doing the park and ride this year.
Yesterday's outing:

1126 5 Newton Aycliffe - Darlington (ANE 1507).
1345 1 Darlington - Bishop Auckland (ANE 1314).
1435 6 Bishop Auckland - Durham (ANE 1477).
1517 64 Durham - Arnison Centre (ANE 7477)
1536 62 Arnison Centre - Durham (ANE 2839)
1607 22 Durham - Peterlee (ANE 61 reg Pulsar).
1722 24 Peterlee - Durham (ANE 1597).
1845 7 Durham - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 1521).

Couldn't really think of much to say about yesterday's outing.
(18 Apr 2015, 2:00 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Damn! I forgot the Bishop Food Festival is on today.

No idea who is doing the park and ride this year.

Weardale using two 03 reg Tridents apparently.
Once again, it's that time of the week again, and I've been out and about! Using a Get Around day ticket at £3.75, I managed to ride a total of 8 buses and covered quite a bit of mileage whilst on my travels.

As I usually do for my Saturday trips out, I often get the 09:40 #78 to Sunderland from my local stop, which is a Chester-le-Street run. Having been informed that only 2 ''Lime'' Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renowns would be out today; 4854 and 4855, with 4853 off the road for testing, I was praying that either of them would be operating my regular run. However, when I was told by citaro5284 that 4908 would be operating that trip, I was slightly disappointed. However, he did tell me where the others would be, which although I greatly appreciated, I didn't catch up with at any point during the day, making it a ''Lime'' free day, and sadly no Olympians either. With the 78 due at 09:40, I began to scratch my head a bit when by 09:45, it hadn't showed. I had my eyes peeled towards Ropery Lane for a red Volvo to come into sight. Finally, at 09:46, I saw it, and after being stuck at the roundabout for a minute or so, 4908 sped onto the roundabout just before my stop, and I got ready to board. Came bombing around the corner, and even though I had my hand out, I was worried the driver wasn't going to stop. Suddenly slowed down, I'm convinced he didn't see me until the last moment. The doors opened, and 4908 went slightly beyond where the vehicle usually stops at this location. Nonetheless, after getting on and purchasing my Get Around; I made my way down the bus, which was running a grand total of 7 minutes late, and instead of hitting my regular seats, I went for the door-side quadrant. Great ride through to Sunderland, even though I would have preferred a ''Lime'' example to kick-start the day, I suppose you can't have everything. Some nice kickdowns and great speeds throughout the journey, as well as a superb engine installed in the vehicle. The run normally gets to Sunderland at 10:17, and after being 7 minutes late when I boarded, we got to Park Lane for 10:18; either a good driver or a good bus!

After disembarking in the Interchange, I made my way to the spot outside of the main bus station. There was a selection of buses in the stands, so I didn't have long before anything departed the interchange. First came a very quiet-looking X35 to Hartlepool, which I managed to snap, followed by a 56 for Newcastle. Then, I saw Renown 4925 enter the bus station with a 9 for Jarrow. I checked the time, and it was 10:26, so I had 8 minutes before the 9 departed. Rather than stick around at that spot for some more photos, I made my way to Gregg's for a bottle of water. Then, as I walked back towards 4925 – I saw 4854 enter with the next 78 towards Consett. I was torn between the two, both were the same vehicle type, but one was soon to go (days numbered), whereas the other will last longer in the fleet. I didn't know what to do, so just went with my gut instinct and boarded the 9 for Jarrow. I regretted it by the time we hit Wheatsheaf. There was two OAPs onboard when we left Park Lane, followed by a female Go North East driver. The seats I had initially picked, the driver-side quadrant, were all over the place. One was higher than the other, etc, and after trying them all, none were comfortable; so I chose the other side, sitting in the exact same seat I selected on the 78. Around the Boldon area, when the female driver went to the front to converse with the driver at the wheel, he braked violently all of a sudden, just happening to be on a downhill stretch of road, and the two seats facing the front of the bus on the right-hand quadrant went flying out of their place (they were extremely loose to begin with!), and while one managed to just slightly move, the other flew into the seats facing them. Me being me, I told citaro5284, who used his unique abilities to contact control and have an engineer sort it when it returned to Park Lane. Aren't I nice? Told the driver as I alighted, and he went back to fix them; although for some reason I doubt they would have survived the return journey in that position...wouldn't surprise me if one slid down the gangway and pressed the bell to get off! haha

Was in Jarrow Bus Station no more than 5 minutes; I watched 4925 depart with quite a heavy load, and a Riverside B10 come in on a 27 for South Shields. With the intention of heading to the so-called ''launch'' at the MetroCentre, I opted to board the next 27 for Newcastle. Hoping that I would get a Renown, I was somewhat disappointed when I saw a ''Crusader'' Citaro round the corner. It must be said, from my point of view, these are nothing special. Some people live by these Mercs, and I don't see their appeal. To me; they're a bit of a pain – overrated is the only word I think of to summarise them, sadly. Just put my headphones in and lived with it, 5317 being my ride. I was intending to travel only as far as Heworth Metro, but after arriving, I just decided to stay on until Gateshead rather than faff on getting another bus to Gateshead, that would take much longer than the 27. All in all; not so bad. Not the worst Merc I've endured! Made my way across the Interchange, and chose to take photographs at that spot just beyond the ''Saltwell Park'' 53 stand, where I zoomed in on 3971 in the layover. After moving on, I spotted 4964 on the X66, pretty full. Letting it depart, I then saw 4944 entering the X66 area of the bus station, which moved in to pick up minutes later. Boarded along with about half a dozen others, and once we'd waiting long enough, left with only around 10 people on. Not what I normally experience on Gateshead-MetroCentre X66s!

Once I arrived at the MetroCentre, I looked around for the launch. Checked the coach park, bus station, etc before I checked out the information desk for anything on it. I asked the guy there, who informed me it was in Exhibition Square; to which I made my way to, knowing the MetroCentre well, as I'm a regular visitor to shop there with my family and my friends. I'm not even going to comment on the launch, as most of what I have to say has already been covered in the GNE Latest thread; all I will say, is that I was disappointed with the ''launch'' itself, but from another perspective it seemed to be quite good for the little ones. Would have liked it to be in the Coach Park, with a branded vehicle there, as there were 4 lined up in full view at Riverside! That somehow managed to irritate me, with the branded buses being just moments away from the MetroCentre itself, but I'm sure there was a good reason for this. Back to the day out; I made my way back to the Interchange to find a variety of buses before me. There was a 31 operated by a ''Northern'' Renown, which was broken down, so when I saw either 5389/90 round the corner with the X66, I just decided to have a hop back to Gateshead. About half a dozen passengers, many of whom were actually fare-payers (for those interested!!) were on 5389 when we pulled away from the MetroCentre; I've always found the seating on Versas to be incredibly deep and soft, despite not being my favourite buses, I don't mind the seating on them, to be honest I find them to be some of the best! Don't know what the oldest examples are like, but the ''Lambton Worm'' 8302-05 examples aren't too bad. Will have to try one on the ''South Tyne'' 88/88A, as they have to oldest in the fleet. Some interesting noises were produced by the engine, don't know if it was just me but it felt like there was something of a little squeel when we picked up speed on long stretches of road. Other than that, quite a good journey. Although I wouldn't want to be on that at peak times!

Once I arrived back to Gateshead – I saw 5414 again. When I went to take photos at Gateshead earlier, that brand new red Streetlite had been in the layover bays while familiarising a driver. I had no idea it was departing as I zoomed in to take a photo of the Vyking in the other layover, so missed out on a photo of it then. As I walked over to the ''Blaydon Racers'' stand, I looked around for any Nexus staff, before thinking ''what's going to happen to me that hasn't already happened'' as I lifted my camera and took a photo of it. Quite pleased with it, I checked the time; it was 13:11. There would be a ''Pronto'' X21 due in a matter of minutes, Bishop Auckland-bound, and as I was in need of a trip to Durham for some more photos, especially as I had heard about some of Arriva's new buses being out and about on the roads, so decided to get that. Waited a bit longer than until on 13:15, as a ''Pronto'' B7, 6034, rounded the corner at 13:21. The driver stopped to pick up passengers, and I think I was one of the only people to board!  

Lord almighty, this bus rattled! While I do love the Volvo B7s, preferrably with the President body, I think some of the X21-branded examples are in poor condition internally. As the front seats were taken, and there were people dotted all over the upper saloon, I chose to sit at the very back on the door side. Some of the seats were banging like a shed in a gale, and didn't improve as we headed down the motorway. I stayed at the back when we arrived in Chester-le-Street, where two kids slightly older than me came upstairs. Looking around smugly, they eventually sat on the other side of the very rear. One was a boy, one was a girl, it's self-explanatory......

Hopped off in the bus station at Durham, before heading up to the North Road roundabout for some photos. None really came out great, hence why I only chose to upload two from the photos I took in Durham. However, I was most disappointed when I saw a Streetlite come in...destination didn't come out and there was some slight motion blur (something I'm finding less and less in the photos I take!), so I don't know what it was on, I think it was the 24 service? When I walked back into the bus station, I was thinking of catching the 14:34 #X22 back to Chester-le-Street, but by 14:34 it hadn't showed, and after a couple of minutes I grew tired of waiting, so boarded the next bus back to Chester-le-Street. This happened to be ''Pronto'' 6024, with a decent load to be fair! Running late somewhat, as I boarded at 14:45 and we left as I was taking my seat upstairs. Much better than 6034, with rattles and squeeks very small. Driver was fantastic as well, he was already very late by the time we left Durham, but got me to Chester-le-Street for 15:03, so he obviously picked up some time there.

I wasn't quite sure what to do, I had just missed the Gateshead Central Taxis shuttle, and I figured as I had worked hard all week, I'd treat myself to a tub of Ben & Jerry's from Tesco. I chose to get the 15:15 #21 for Durham back, so it gave me plenty of time. After purchasing some Half Baked, I made my way to the stand on North Burns. Waited a short while before an ''Angel'' turned on North Burns, and the queue began to pull itself together. Once everyone had disembarked, I boarded and just chose to sit downstairs at the back. Sat at the quadrant, and I have to say that the interior of 6059 was much, much cleaner than last week's final journey on the 21, which I think was 6062. Not a single Metro paper on the floor, and I couldn't see any stray tickets near me. Very nice, and before I knew it, I was pressing the bell to get off.

Here is a log of the day:

09:47 #78 – Chester-le-Street Durham County Cricket Ground to Sunderland Park Lane Interchange – GNE 4908
10:32 #9 – Sunderland Park Lane Interchange to Jarrow Bus Station – GNE 4925
11:22 #27 – Jarrow Bus Station to Gateshead Transport Interchange – GNE 5317
12:26 #X66 – Gateshead Transport Interchange to MetroCentre Transport Interchange – GNE 4944
12:57 #X66 – MetroCentre Transport Interchange to Gateshead Transport Interchange – GNE 5389
13:21 #X21 – Gateshead Transport Interchange to Durham Bus Station – GNE 6034
14:45 #X21 – Durham Bus Station to Chester-le-Street Cone Terrace – GNE 6024
15:17 #21 – Chester-le-Street North Burns to Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace – GNE 6059

Another great day out with a Get Around day ticket, hope you all enjoyed reading! Smile

Marcus
Very good review, Marcus. We'll have to get you doing full days' bashing soon, hell, I usually do 0645 - 1930! (Would do longer if there were later buses!) Big Grin
So who's going to the Teesside Running Day next weekend?
(19 Apr 2015, 1:55 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]So who's going to the Teesside Running Day next weekend?
I will probably be there.
(19 Apr 2015, 2:01 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I will probably be there.

I'll make sure to ride two bicycles side-by-side down a flight of stairs towards my carelessly parked car while giving you evil looks then  Wink
I'll certainly be there - I could even be getting the vehicles ready on Saturday unless I can worm my way out of it.............like I ended up doing for the public debut of the restored VR H106

[attachment=6582] (I'm the one at the foot of the ladder)

Of course, Sunday marks H106's first run since the completion of its restoration.

Also attending:

15 Vehicles for use on the service runs:
  • Fleetline 50 from the Darlington 50 Group
  • Bristol Coach 304GHN and a Daimler/Roe from the Aycliffe Group
  • The Chesterfield Group's Leopard
  • Rob Hughes' Bristol LH AFB586V
  • The Eden's Leopard L14 (PPT 446P)
  • Bristol VR Open Topper LFS296F
  • John Atkin will be bring 2 of the Stagecarriage fleet
  • Generation Travel will be bring a member of their fleet
  • Skelton Coaches likewise
  • Roseberry Travel will be sending one of their 2 Neoplan Tourliners (sadly, it seems their Temsa Safari will be away)
Arriva Stockton depot will be sending one of the 'Sapphire' Streetlites along for display while Stagecoach on Teesside will also be represented in some way 
(19 Apr 2015, 2:11 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]I'll make sure to ride two bicycles side-by-side down a flight of stairs towards my carelessly parked car while giving you evil looks then  Wink

If you could somehow make my bus run late and make me miss my connecting bus you'd complete the set.

In fairness I wouldn't mind being stuck behind just you on two bicycles at the same time, I would want to be stuck behind so I could see that.