North East Buses

Full Version: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(07 May 2016, 11:49 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]This link makes me feel all rosy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X90qGbH2iDs

Look at those beasts. None of your NSA, wifi, plug nonsense. A good reliable cost effective bus service.

Aye, nonsense that makes transport more accessible to everyone...

Maybe not cost effective, but on the most part we have a fairly reliable bus service, with modern vehicles, and modern features to go with them. I do love VRs, Nationals and Atlanteans, but times have changed.
Good reviews from yesterday everyone.

I decided to take the 20 and 20A from Houghton le Spring to South Shields via Sunderland. My aim being to photograph the the current Prince Bishops fleet. I had a good day but got side tracked in Sunderland. Also visited the Stadium of Light and got some great photos of local independent operators. My favourite was Neoplan TGT889 (ex OU14STZ) the SAFC team coach. Closely followed by Style Travels' Palatine P532HMP. Stanley Travel deckers based nearby at the Albatross yard are currently UK03NJE and S5STX.

I visited Argyle House School which is the only school in the North East to have a psv o-licence. They've got two Ford Transits. I later visited the Academy of Light which has a small fleet of non-psv Renault Masters.

It was a good day and I got back to Gateshead using the X34. The only bad point was my outbound X1, 6034 breaking down at the Galleries. It was replaced by 6027 after a short wait. Many thanks to David Dove jnr for letting me look around his Herrington yard and photograph his family's fleet.

Hope you all had a good weekend.

Charles
(07 May 2016, 11:49 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]This link makes me feel all rosy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X90qGbH2iDs

Look at those beasts. None of your NSA, wifi, plug nonsense. A good reliable cost effective bus service.

All cracking rides and certainly cheap to travel on.

I must have been the early 90's, as there is an Alexander bodied Oly blinded up for a 25.

That bus station was ideal to maintain reliability. Granted you might get stuck behind another bus if running late, but there was no city centre traffic (or traffic lights) to get stuck amongst.
Literally in and out, with interworking galore!
I've drawn up a plan for my trip to Derby and the surrounding area this weekend....

0533 21 - Barley Mow to Newcastle, Monument 0602
0623 CrossCountry - Newcastle to Derby 0849
0857 1A - Derby Railway Station to Derby Bus Station 0904
0910 Red Arrow - Derby Bus Station to Nottingham, Victoria Bus Station 0945
1010 Rainbow One - Nottingham, Victoria Bus Station to Nuttall, Temple Drive 1030
1036 Rainbow One - Nuttall, Temple Drive to Nottingham, Victoria Bus Station 1100
1105 CentreLink - Nottingham, Victoria Bus Station to Nottingham, Broadmarsh Bus Station 1115
1134 indigo - Nottingham, Broadmarsh Bus Station to Dunkirk, QMC 1150
1159 indigo - Dunkirk, QMC to Broadmarsh Bus Station 1212
1220 Rushcliffe Mainline - Broadmarsh Bus Station to Radcliffe-on-Trent, Vicarage Lane 1238
1247 Rushcliffe Villager V1 - Radcliffe-on-Trent to Nottingham, Friar Lane 1310
1326 Red Arrow - Nottingham, Upper Parliament Street to Derby Bus Station 1400
1405 Heanor's H1 - Derby, Corporation Street to Smalley, Rose and Crown 1416
1427 Heanor's H1 - Smalley, Rose and Crown to Derby, Corporation Street 1445

I will then go on to my home town of Tutbury, using the Villager V1, where I will stay with my Auntie and Uncle for the weekend.
(13 May 2016, 5:16 pm)LeeCalder wrote [ -> ]I've drawn up a plan for my trip to Derby and the surrounding area this weekend....

0533 21 - Barley Mow to Newcastle, Monument 0602
0623 CrossCountry - Newcastle to Derby 0849
0857 1A - Derby Railway Station to Derby Bus Station 0904
0910 Red Arrow - Derby Bus Station to Nottingham, Victoria Bus Station 0945
1010 Rainbow One - Nottingham, Victoria Bus Station to Nuttall, Temple Drive 1030
1036 Rainbow One - Nuttall, Temple Drive to Nottingham, Victoria Bus Station 1100
1105 CentreLink - Nottingham, Victoria Bus Station to Nottingham, Broadmarsh Bus Station 1115
1134 indigo - Nottingham, Broadmarsh Bus Station to Dunkirk, QMC 1150
1159 indigo - Dunkirk, QMC to Broadmarsh Bus Station 1212

1220 Rushcliffe Mainline - Broadmarsh Bus Station to Radcliffe-on-Trent, Vicarage Lane 1238
1247 Rushcliffe Villager V1 - Radcliffe-on-Trent to Nottingham, Friar Lane 1310
1326 Red Arrow - Nottingham, Upper Parliament Street to Derby Bus Station 1400
1405 Heanor's H1 - Derby, Corporation Street to Smalley, Rose and Crown 1416
1427 Heanor's H1 - Smalley, Rose and Crown to Derby, Corporation Street 1445

I will then go on to my home town of Tutbury, using the Villager V1, where I will stay with my Auntie and Uncle for the weekend.

You've left a fair layover here but careful not to get caught out as the bus stands for either direction are separated by a pedestrian subway
Currently onboard 4934 on the 13 to Durham and it is my 5th Solar today, and I'm not sick of them yet!
(14 May 2016, 2:37 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]Currently onboard 4934 on the 13 to Durham and it is my 5th Solar today, and I'm not sick of them yet!

We managed a solar heavy day, a few weeks ago.

So long as there's not an E400 waiting for us at Durham, we'll have had an all Wright day.
(14 May 2016, 2:51 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]We managed a solar heavy day, a few weeks ago.

So long as there's not an E400 waiting for us at Durham, we'll have had an all Wright day.

I bet you have been on a Prince Bishops Streetlite  Smile
(14 May 2016, 2:52 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]I bet you have been on a Prince Bishops Streetlite  Smile

Posted from one. Caught 5421 by pure luck
Ive uploaded 2 photos from todays outing with both links below

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@...ed-public/

Hope you enjoy Smile
(14 May 2016, 9:03 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]Ive uploaded 2 photos from todays outing with both links below

Hope you enjoy  Smile

You got some good ones, there Smile

Some of big'un's photo attempts were thwarted by glare, today. It really was incredibly bright with the sun out and the new buses are well shiny! He got a couple of nice ones in Houghton (couple of other enthusiasts there, stalking the streetlites - signing to each other) but the best was of a Connections 4 Citaro, of all things! Had 5 intense minutes of shooting at north Road roundabout, in Durham - bit of a clingon corner, but such a fantastic backdrop with the viaduct and incredibly rich pickings - so long as it's not Sunday!
(14 May 2016, 10:18 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]You got some good ones, there Smile

Some of big'un's photo attempts were thwarted by glare, today. It really was incredibly bright with the sun out and the new buses are well shiny! He got a couple of nice ones in Houghton (couple of other enthusiasts there, stalking the streetlites - signing to each other) but the best was of a Connections 4 Citaro, of all things! Had 5 intense minutes of shooting at north Road roundabout, in Durham - bit of a clingon corner, but such a fantastic backdrop with the viaduct and incredibly rich pickings - so long as it's not Sunday!

Thank you Smile

Id recommend photo editing for them sorts of problems, I regularly get them in my photos.

Was originally meant to be posting photos of the new Streetlite's but that didn't turn out well, Though I got a photo of what was probably 4970's last run as PB Vehicle so that was canny special.

I too seen loads of enthusiast's today, Though I didn't count how many as I ran from Greggs to 4968 to head to Great Lumley for its return photograph, Got a photo of 5407 too not far up the road from where 4968 was taken, Which I will post tomorrow.
Our all Wright day out:

Arrived at Durham marketplace just after 10am on a rather delayed 1598 on the 22.

Laugh of the day: When we were stuck in a queue for Gilesgate roundabout, a couple of women discussing the day and saying "That's why there's a problem. The traffic lights aren't working at all, look."  Rolleyes 
Drama of the day: unmarked police beemer whizzing past us, after an Audi, on Silent bank.
NSA screen status: working but misaligned until Gilesgate roundabout, a which point it went into power saving mode.

Didn't have time to do all the jobs I wanted to in Durham, as we'd been so badly delayed, so contented ourselves with buying some sarnies, then walking down to the bus station for the 10:22 24, which was, of course, on the current board of 13 vehicles covering the 22/24, 1598! This time, the screen was completely off. Have never had reason to catch the 24 before. I'm amazed how those great big E400s get through Ludworth without incident, as it was tight enough in a streetlite. We got off at Whitehouse Crescent, just before 11am, as we needed to visit somewhere on the industrial estate.

Our business on the estate was shorter than expected, for reasons I won't go into and, typically, we'd missed the GNE 201 by about 4 minutes. The windchill was horrendous on whitehouse way, so we huddled into a bus shelter to scarf our sarnies as quickly as possible. Blown (quite literally) if we were sitting still and waiting another 15 minutes for the 201, we started walking back towards the main road. Saw the 201 come out from by the Caterpillar place, so raced up to the stop opposite to find it not listed there, so cut back to the stop outside MKM, Whitehouse crescent. Our 22 that was due turned out to be 8 minutes late but, thankfully, the stop was sheltered from the wind and my hands slowly returned to their normal shade of blue pink.

And we got to Peterleebus station, on a Pulsar, with 2 annoying kids with scooters at the front, clearly annoying the driver, just behind the X35 that we'd been hoping for - and just missed it! Nevermind, plan B, the X9 hadn't been yet. Caught 6044 on that, our first B9 gemini of the day. Was surprisingly quiet and got into Newcastle bang on time. By the time we got downstairs, at Eldon Square, the driver and a nexus bod were already arguing with a couple of drunks with a bag full of cans who wanted to get on. The queue behind were torn between amusement and irritation.

We spent about an hour in Newcastle. Big'un was annoyed that there were no blueberry muffins in Bainbridge (had already been miffed at the lack of pret Bars in pret and, of course, we're not allowed into M&S for their flapjack bars!) so we found alternative blueberry muffins (and red velvet cake) in Caffe Nero. Horrible sticky cutlery, too, unfortunately. My own personal entertainment was CD nerd in his 50s and his son in his 20s, firmly of the opinion that small children who are less than happy and coing should not be allowed in such places as it's "not fair on the adults" amongst other Opinions. Pity the poor woman who endes up having to divorce that t....

Moving swiftly on, picked up a few bits in Waitrose, including some flapjack bars, the hopped onto 6053 on the X1. Quite a grunty beast, though not sure it was as soothing as a citaro grunt. Rather more of an uncomfortable smoker's grunt, I think. Encountered a very recognisable passenger who we'd seen on a red kite, a few weeks ago! He slept for most of the journey! We carried on through to Houghton Church - at which point we know we've missed a Prince Bishops by a minute and spent a little while taking pics, while we waited for the next one.

This turned out to be 5421 on the 20A at 3:40-ish. Already covered with bird doings!

Nice run, jovial driver. Had to stop a lot to wait at timing points, so obvious improvement over the solars there, already. Passengers near us commented on the spelling of Granary (I wasn't paying attention at the time, so missed it) and the guy said he'd have to report it. Something rolled past us - looked like a massive e-cig - or part of a walking stick! On one of his stops, driver produced a tenner which someone had dropped. Heard an announcement on the radio about 5433 breaking down, then we passed it on the A690. I suspect those passengers were less than impressed, though Citaro mentioned it had moved on shortly afterwards, so must have been something the driver was unfamiliar with.

It was a very smooth ride with none of the gear crunching you hear on the coast and countries. It felt very much like our own local Arriva streetlites apart from the lack of rattle from the emergency exit! Noticed there's also 4 opening windows on these ones though, as Jimmi mentioned, the bells inside are in the standard GNE Streetlite configuration - all down the left hand side apart from around the front. The foremost front facing seats are also doubles, unlike on the Arriva examples.

Missed a 22 at Durham, so had time for some photos while waiting for our carriage home, which turned out to be 1518. Our journey home would have been the last time we'd catch the 22 from stand J - if it hadn't had to park nearby because J was already occupied by a 57 because H was already occupied by the 43....

So the score for the day was 2 streetlites (one twice), 2 B9 geminis and 2 Pulsars!
(14 May 2016, 10:30 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]Thank you  Smile

Id recommend photo editing for them sorts of problems, I regularly get them in my photos.

Was originally meant to be posting photos of the new Streetlite's but that didn't turn out well, Though I got a photo of what was probably 4970's last run as PB Vehicle so that was canny special.

I too seen loads of enthusiast's today, Though I didn't count how many as I ran from Greggs to 4968 to head to Great Lumley for its return photograph, Got a photo of 5407 too not far up the road from where 4968 was taken, Which I will post tomorrow.

I suspect (I hadn't seen the pic but had noticed the direction of the light) that the one he deleted was completely flared out. We crossed the road while we waited for a suitable PB to catch to Durham.

It's a nice spot for pic taking  - was suprised not to see more cameras, if anything!
Been out today to get the new streetlites:
Q3 10:12 Great Park Wagonway Drive
10:37 Market Street West- GNE 8313
It was your average dull, late running Q3 and did not impress me one bit. In short nothing different.

56 10:43 Market Street West
11:48 Sunderland Wheatsheaf-GNE 6096
Good bus and the driver floored it past Nissan but I very much enjoyed it and this one is one of the single best B9TL's in the GNE fleet (though no match for 6044) and it only had one issue, the NSA speakers were not working

20 11:58 Sunderland Wheatsheaf
12:21 South Shields Town Centre-GNE 5434
I very much enjoyed the journey but the bus sounded a bit tired and I don't think streetlites are very good for the route, the bus was also late and very busy, I very nearly missed my connection but the driver was a speed demon

27 12:26 South Shields Town Centre
12:48 Jarrow Bus Station-GNE 5312
This citaro is certainly one of the best 08-REG citaros and had a seat transplant from London General at the back, the driver yet again was very quick, it left South Shields two minutes late and got to Jarrow six minutes early! For someone who only uses the 27 Heworth-Newcastle I will definitely use it in place of the metro again.

9 12:56 Jarrow Bus Station
13:11 North Shields Rudyerd Street-GNE 5155
I was a bit miffed when this turned up but I was expecting it, it especially annoyed me due to it running late and it being a renown and not an omnicity.

310 13:25 North Shields Rudyerd Street
14:07 Haymarket-GNE 61xx
The bus was waiting upon my arrival at North Shields so I boarded after running to Greggs for my lunch, the bus filled up fast with NUFC fans., due to the large number of passengers it arrived six minutes late at the Haymarket

Q3 14:20 Haymarket
14:40 Great Park Wagonway Drive-GNE 8313
The bus was dull as previously with nothing odd or unusual to report.

Also just as a quick note I saw what I believe to be two enthusiasts at the Wheatsheaf and I then saw them at the back of 5155 and on the 310, I just wondered if it was anyone on here
Had an enjoyable but rather brief outing on a Get Around day ticket yesterday.

08:18 21 6065 Chester-le-Street Red Lion to Durham Bus Station
The day began with an 07:00 alarm, allowing me ample time to get myself ready, leaving my house at 07:45. A leisurely walk into my hometown took place, and I arrived at the bottom of Front Street at 08:10. I had the intention of catching the 08:18 21 to Durham, which was in the hands of 6065 on this occasion. 6065 was the first Hybrid I sampled, back in October 2012, when they were new, so I quite enjoy a ride on it every now and then. The driver was a former Unit 2 driver, which consisted of duties on the Lime, Waggonway, Whey Aye Five 0, Lambton Worm, 13/14 and X22, prior to July 2014, when the rotas were amalgamated (Unit 1 did the 21, X25 and 71). He put his foot down as we climbed the Front Street, I was amazed at how fast it was going, unable to think of an occasion where I'd ever travelled at such a speed on one of these Hybrids. Durham came exactly fifteen minutes later.

08:44 13 4934 Durham North Road to Langley Park Turning Circle
Following a few photos at the roundabout on North Road, I saw 4934 coming in on the 13 to Langley Park, with a friend at the wheel. An enthusiast himself, the driver took 5288 to the Metrocentre Rally at the start of the month, for those who are curious. I was hoping for one of 4926-4931 on this run (the board is booked a Scania L94UB, and, although that batch are in poor condition these days, I enjoy the occasional ride on one). I had also already done a trip to Langley Park and back on the X25 with 4934 and the same driver. The 13 and 14 follow routes that slightly differ, but both start and terminate at the same locations. I am of the understanding that the routes were first operated by Go-Ahead Northern upon the acquisition of independent Gypsy Queen, which was based at Langley Park, who operated the Durham-Langley Park routes as the 53 and 54.

09:27 13 4934 Langley Park Turning Circle to Durham North Road
The journey to Langley Park was smooth and punctual, with a rather nicely scheduled layover time of 9 minutes at the terminus. We sat and talked for a few minutes in the saloon, before he turned 4934 around at the turning circle, where I crossed the road to get a photograph, as the sun was in a good position. Unlike the outbound journey, which carried myself and a handful of others, the inbound journey picked up quite a bit loading, with about twenty five passengers on board from a rough headcount that I observed from the forwardmost seat on the offside. 4934 is one of the faster Solars at Chester-le-Street, so I don't mind it. 5201 and 5202 are alright, while 4926, 4930 and 4931 are all sheds. 4927 and 4928, I am indifferent to, while 4929 is arguably the best in my opinion. 

10:00 20A 5425 Durham Bus Station to Houghton-le-Spring Church
Upon return to Durham, I thanked my friend and alighted, while he set off on a return trip to Langley Park. As nine of the Wright Streetlites recently purchased for the Prince Bishops services entered service in recent days, I had the aim of waiting at the top of the bus station for one to appear, photographing everything coming in in the meantime. Luckily, I didn't have long to wait, as 5425 came after about ten minutes. John Westmoreland, a long-serving driver at Chester-le-Street, was covering at Crook, driving 6301, heading to Bishop Auckland, so I had a brief chat with him as I prepared to board 5425, in the next stand, he had been driving at Deptford for most of the week. I then proceeded to board the Streetlite, sitting on the offside, one row of seats from the back.

11:00 20A 5424 Houghton-le-Spring Church to Durham Bus Station
I took advantage of the charging points and free WiFi for the journey on 5425, which handled the route quite faultlessly. On more than one occasion, we had to wait at a bus stop for a couple of minutes so that the service was back on schedule. I can't count how many times the drivers used to have to put their foot down on a Solar in an attempt to catch back up to the expected time on the running board. After a pleasant journey to Houghton-le-Spring, I alighted and got a few photos. I met with Adam, for those who can cast their minds back, a member who studies at Northumbria University and lives in Eighton Banks (but no longer posts on this forum, who can blame him?), and we returned to Durham together on 5424, another alright journey, aside from being much dirtier than 5425 was. It is amazing how buses can get into such a condition after just a couple of days on the road.

11:45 16A 3887 Durham Bus Station to Stanley Bus Station
After a short wait in Durham Bus Station with Adam, I decided to board the Plaxton President-bodied Dennis Trident that had just entered the bus station with the next 16A for Stanley, while he stayed and waited for the next Castles Express service to Newcastle. I identified it as 3887, which I only just had last Saturday, which was kind of annoying, as I'd hoped for 3886 or 3889, which I haven't travelled on since they left Chester-le-Street in September 2013. The batch of five, which were new to Chester-le-Street in 2001 for the 21/21A/21B services. While the Trident Presidents are now few in number, 3885-3887/89 at Stanley, then 3888/90/91 at Percy Main, they were as a batch of fifteen; with 3881-3891 at Chester-le-Street, and 3892-3895 for Bishop Auckland. As always, I had an overly enjoyable ride on one of them up to Stanley, where it terminated.

12:32 78 5400 Stanley Bus Station to Chester-le-Street Red Lion
I looked around the bus station, to find nothing of any interest was in any of the stands, with a Venture Solo SR on a local run to East Stanley and an unmanned OmniDekka in the uppermost stand, but another Trident President coming in with the 6 from Newcastle caught my eye. I was most annoyed when I saw this was replaced by the OmniDekka, as it would have been a nice trip. However, one of my acquaintances at Chester-le-Street depot, Paul Largue, came in with 5400 on the next 78 to Sunderland, so I decided to go with this. He never fails to amuse me with his thoughts on me and my hobby, but it's merely jesting. A smooth ride back to Chester-le-Street, with standing room only by the time it reached the town centre.

13:36 34A 3878 Chester-le-Street Red Lion to Chester-le-Street Corals via Waldridge Park
Yep. Another one of these jaunts on the local Lambton Worm services. I had seen Dennis Trident ELC Lolyne 3878 on a run up to Urpeth Grange as I alighted 5400, and caught have caught it, but I do too many trips up to Urpeth Grange, and decided I wanted a change in scenery, with a trip to Waldridge Park instead. In in the interim period, I stood and made conversation with Gary Wheatley, who has been point supervisor at Chester-le-Street since 1997, and informed me that he is getting an award at the upcoming awards evening for twenty five years of service. When 3878 returned, I boarded and took my seat in the usual spot, at the back on the offside, adjacent to the emergency exit door. The driver, who I think is quite new, must have been confused, as he took the anti-clockwise route that the 34 takes, rather than the clockwise 34A route. Nobody said anything to him, but human error happens. As most will know, I have an attachment to the Lolynes (although not as strong as the B10BLEs), having featured in my hometown for many years, since the arrival of 3801-3804 for the 724 (Bishop Auckland-Newcastle). 3878 is my personal favourite, and I will be deeply saddened when it is finally withdrawn, which isn't too far away from now...

Thanks for reading.
Went out today to Consett for a bus trip with the other half. Here's the rundown.

11:07 10 Prudhoe Waterworld - Eldon Square Bus Station (GNE 6080)

This was a busy journey as the bus was quite full, got off at Eldon Square and went to M&S for some shopping before going back to the bus station to go to Consett.

12:17 46 Eldon Square Bus Station - Consett Bus Station (GNE 5416)

This wasn't the best of journeys only due to the weather being warm and only 3 Windows on the Red Kite Streetlites that can be opened. Quite a nice route though. Got off at Consett Bus Station and went to Barry's Bargain Store and then Iceland and then back to the bus station. Decided to get the train home from Durham due to having frozen food so got the 15A to Durham.

13:49 15A Consett Bus Station - Durham Bus Station (GNE 6009)

Not a bad journey to Durham which didn't take too long. Thankfully the Presidents have plenty of Windows as was quite hot on the bus. Walked to the railway station and purchased tickets and waited.

14:52 Durham Railway Station - Central Station (Cross Country 221???)

Was going to wait for a Virgin East Coast but it would be a 35 min wait so grudgingly got on one of the Cross Country Voyagers which I personally have a severe distaste for and are my least favourite trains. As usual no empty seats resulting in standing by the toilet in the corridor (Coach F) Which isn't the best place to stand. One thing I notice every time I get these there's an awful smell upon boarding, like hot metal or something like that. Also the door into the coach closed as I was halfway through after boarding.

15:24 Central Station - Prudhoe Railway Station (Northern 156484)

This was a much more pleasant journey with the train only stopping at MetroCentre on the way. Managed to get a table seat which was useful as my backpack was full of shopping and quite heavy. This was one of the smoothest journeys I have ridden on the 156 fleet.

15:43 10B Prudhoe Railway Station - Prudhoe Front Street (GNE 6081)

Luckily as we stepped off the train the bus was approaching. And boarded and proceeded up to the Front Street where we alighted.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
Had a good day out today on a North East Explorer ticket.

09:10 X21 6307 Chester-le-Street Red Lion to Durham Bus Station
The first vehicle of the day was Streetdeck 6307, on the first X21 of the day Bishop Auckland-bound from Chester-le-Street, the 09:11 from the Red Lion; 08:39 from Newcastle. When heading north on an Explorer, I have made a habit of catching the same board through to Newcastle, the 07:59 from Chester-le-Street Corals. Boarded 6307 and the driver issued me my Explorer, before I headed upstairs, taking a seat at the front on the offside. I have to say that the added extras to the Castles Express Streetdecks, such as the charging sockets, gives me more incentive to use the X21 over the competing X12. The journey through to Durham was smooth and punctual.

09:32 43 7444 Durham Bus Station to Durham Bus Station via Ushaw Moor
As 6307 entered the bus station, I spied two Y-reg Lowlanders in adjacent stands to one another. I identified one as 7444, still in it's original livery, with the old Arriva logos on the sides, while the second was 7440. The former was on the 43 to Esh Winning, and the latter was due to be the operate 46 to Crook. Given that I'd already had 7440 for haulage, I decided to go with 7444. My original intention had been to travel only as far as Ushaw Moor, then catch a 43 or 48 back, but I ended up enjoying the ride so much that I stayed on for a circular around Esh Winning, then the return trip to Durham. I think 7444 is now my favourite of the remaining Lowlanders, it has an excellent Voith gearbox and retarder, and it rattles like a box of nails. 

10:33 64 2838 Durham North Road to Arnison Centre
Upon returning to Durham, I had a walk out onto North Road, spotting one of the Optare Solos that make up the allocation at Belmont depot on the 64 to the Arnison Centre. As I've had limited experience of the Belmont Solos, I decided to go with it, and then catch something onwards from there. I boarded and took a seat at the back on the offside, next to the emergency exit door. The service left North Road with a fair loading of about fifteen passengers, with a number boarding and alighting on the journey to the Arnison Centre. The Allison transmission (something I rarely experience) was interesting to listen to, accompanied by the usual squeaks of a Solo's brakes. 

11:02 50 5256 Arnison Centre to Chester-le-Street Corals
Following an alright journey on 2838, I decided to head back to Chester-le-Street and then catch a 36 across to Houghton-le-Spring so that I could meet with Adrian. When I checked the times, I was happy to see that I had connected nicely with a 50 that was due within ten minutes. After crossing the car park at Sainsbury's, I had a wait time of around five minutes before the South Shields-bound 50 came into view. It was in the hands of 5256, which was running on-time. I hadn't travelled on 5256 since it left Chester-le-Street depot for Washington last month.

11:44 36 4945 Chester-le-Street Red Lion to Houghton-le-Spring Church
I floated around the bottom of the Front Street for around twenty minutes, observing the usual late Saturday morning goings-on, before I sighted Scania L94UB 4945, with the next 36 to Town End Farm. Still looking resplendent in it's recently applied repaint, it turned around at the market place and proceeded to pick up at the usual stand, where I boarded. The journey to Houghton-le-Spring was largely uneventful, just the average Solar journey. I'll probably miss them when they're gone, but right now, there are more rateable things to be on. Adrian was perched around the corner from the church, so I alighted and walked around to meet with him.

12:23 20A 5420 Houghton-le-Spring Church to Durham Bus Station
We got a few photos before the heavens opened, and we decided to catch the next Prince Bishops to Durham. The plan had been to jump on and off where the 20/20A meet on the route, but due to the weather conditions, we decided not to bother and just stay on the bus until Durham. 5420 was operating this run, my third one of the new Streetlites to clear for haulage. We sat towards the rear, one row of seats from the back, as is common procedure for me on Streetlites. The charging sockets and WiFi worked fine, as expected with the new vehicles, but two guys got on at Gilesgate that absolutely stank of urine, so that ruined the journey somewhat. Was pleased to be off.

13:15 16A 4903 Durham Bus Station to Stanley Bus Station
Omnicity 5247 was broken down in the top layover bay at Durham, so I went to get a photo. Not long afterwards, B10BLE 4903 came in with the 16A to Stanley. As it's listed for withdrawal, and on temporary loan to Stanley (where it is likely to live out it's remaining days), I didn't even give Adrian a choice in the matter, and more-or-less dragged him across to board it. We sat at the back for this journey and enjoyed listening to this fine machine as it climbed the hills into Sacriston; the 16/16A have some nice sections to the route, similar to the 43 to Esh Winning that I sampled in the morning, but then have some bad sections. We alighted at Stanley, where the 16A terminates.

14:13 X31 5253 Stanley Bus Station to Newcastle Eldon Square
Our next move was one of the express services to Newcastle. We'd been intending to catch the 14:00 X31 from Stanley, and it eventually showed up, 13 minutes late. After overhearing the drivers talking while they changed over, the driver who was being relieved claimed to have arrived into Newcastle 38 minutes late, so fair play to him for getting to Stanley with such a quick recovery. We sat next to the emergency exit on 5253, which was operating this run, and the driver floored it to Newcastle, arriving into Eldon Square just before 15:00.

15:01 46 2806 Newcastle Haymarket to Regent Centre Interchange
In order to get some more value for money for my Explorer, I encouraged Adrian that heading to Haymarket for something Arriva-operated was best. We boarded Solo 2806 on the 46 to Featherstone Grove, departing on-time and having a short and quick run up to Regent Centre. We spent quite a while getting photos here, observing many Arriva ALX400s on the local Jesmond services, before I decided that we would head up to the Airport on the Metro so that it was included in the day's log.

15:40 T&W Metro 4008+4053 Regent Centre to Airport
We had a 10 minute wait on the platform, but 4008 and 4053 eventually arrived with the service to the Airport. Sat at some of the sideways-facing seats in 4008 for the journey up to the Airport. I quite like this section of the South Hylton-Airport line, it's largely quiet from my experience of it, when compared to the likes of Heworth-Haymarket.

16:05 T&W Metro 4053+4008 Airport to Kingston Park
Just decided to get the same units south, as I'd decided to aim for the 17:09 X21 out of Newcastle home. Adrian managed to get the front seats before me (and proceeded to wind me up about it), with 4053 (now leading the train) carrying only ourselves and a couple of others who had boarded at Callerton Parkway. At Kingston Park, Adrian suggested that we bailed for a few photos and then caught a Stagecoach X47 back to Newcastle, so some Stagecoach had been covered.

16:36 X47 22411 Kingston Park to Newcastle New Bridge Street
We spent about fifteen minutes getting photos of Metros and ALX300s here, including the surprise of a Gateshead Central Taxis 16-plate Wright Streetlite WF on the Tesco Free Bus. Due to the delays in the city centre with the rugby thingy being on, we were waiting quite a while at the bus stop, but 22411 soon appeared, followed closely behind by 22410. We went with the former, I think I've had all of the X47-branded ALX300s for haulage by now so I'm not bothered by any of them. The ALX300s themselves are fine machines if maintained well, but they're Germans so naturally they're heavy drinkers.

17:03 X21 6301 Newcastle Eldon Square to Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace
Arrived back into Newcastle at 16:55, and walked from New Bridge Street back into Eldon Square. I parted ways with Adrian at the neck of the bus station; he headed up to the stand for the X1 back to Washington while I headed down for the X21. 6301 was operating this run, with my favourite Crook driver at the wheel. He's always pleasant with me when he sees me, and I seem to get him on the X21 quite a lot. Sat downstairs on the nearside at the back (I wish they had a charging socket on the offside, where I prefer to sit, but that would interfere with the emergency exit door).

Thanks for reading, I hope to see some of you tomorrow at the open day.
We decided to head south, this weekend - Big'un had planned a route out, a while back, so we went with that one.

We managed (by necessity) to set off a little earlier than usual and arrived at Durham marketplace on the 22 just before 9:30. The traffic was remarkably light. Our bus was one of the 24 branded Pulsars - can't remember which. I discovered, the other day, that the back seats in this batch of vehicles are surprisingly deep and squishy, so that's where we sat. The trade off was a hot bum, of course!

Popped to the loo and into Pret (M&S still verboten) and walked down to the bus station to watch the goings on for a little while before boarding GNE 660 on the 208 at 10am. Our plan was to take it right through to Peterlee as we'd never done that before. It's a long 70 minute ride (half as long again as the ANE 22 and 24) but it was interesting taking all the back streets we'd never driven down before. Was slightly surprised to see our style of house replicated far wider than our own locality - ours is ex NCB but a lot of ex LA houses have the exact same footprint and basic layout. It was obviously a typical postwar social housing design in the region. The last part of the journey hugs the coast fairly closely, which tied in nicely with the next couple of stages of our journey. There were long sections of this journey when we were the only passengers.

Our next Bus was the 11:17 24 from Peterlee to Hartlepool - ANE 1599. Nowt to write home about, as if done this journey a fair few times, just not on this vehicle, which I more usually catch on the 22!

A very short walk and just a 5 minute wait for the SNE 1 to Middlesbrough. Big'un really wanted to do this and was doubly pleased that we'd ended up with a SPD, 35157. Boarding was a bit disconcerting, as the whole floor at the entrance of the bus bent every time someone stepped on board. There was an alarming amount of movement! Inside, though, the seats were fresh and clean looking and the general effect was quite spartan.

This was a surprisingly fascinating route. Once the driver had had a wazz at Seaton Carew (impressive beach there!), we wound through all the industrial estates along the coast, past the power station, bird sanctuary and so on.

We took a break for lunch and nose powdering in Middlesbrough, emerging from Debenhams (loos and not M&S!) to find the drizzle had become a bit more. We fast walked and then trotted over to the bus station and it started coming down stair rods as soon as we got through the door. Our next vehicle was another Pulsar on the 13:12 X67. The back seats in this Max vehicle were definitely not squishy and it's one of the rather rattly vehicles, so we sat in the 2nd row from the back.

The weather was a little better once we got to Darlo, so we stretched our legs a little before going for a coffee and cake.

The next part of Big'un's plan was to get the X1 on Crook, so we ended up on 1594 at 14:30. Notice that the engine sound was different to what we normally hear in a streetlite. Much less like Chewbacca and ore like the streetdecks on the Castles Express. Of course, this is one of the Euro 6 streetlites in the fleet!

This service is always well loaded, but today it was mostly with people who got on my nerves.

We'd just missed a 46 when we arrived at Crook, so went for a bit of a wander. The Weardale MAN/Wright meridian was parked up, so big'un stopped for a few pictures of that. We then went on a mercy mission to the Co-op because those damned mice had eaten every last biscuit in the house, again.

The next 46 pulled into the stop about the same time as we got back there. This one was another Pulsar - 1477. This one is missing a couple of chrome rings from its Wright badge, at the moment. Unfortunately, we never got chance to find out how good a Pulsar this one is, as we were stuck behind a pigging Fiat Panda, which seemed to be incapable of going faster than 30mph uphill. We were the only passengers for much of this journey.

We got into Durham with about 20 minutes to spare before our 16:37 22 home, so Big'un went to take some photos on the North Road roundabout. Our vehicle was an incredibly workaday streetlite - 1601, this time.
Canny picture that BLM......must be getting time for a flickr account.